Upgrade system - Mandriva

This is a discussion on Upgrade system - Mandriva ; Mandriva has just asked me if I want to upgrade to 2009. There's an applet running in my system tray that I assume will to it automagically for me if I say yes. Or will it? Does anyone know if ...

  1. Upgrade system

    Mandriva has just asked me if I want to upgrade to 2009. There's an
    applet running in my system tray that I assume will to it automagically
    for me if I say yes. Or will it? Does anyone know if this thing will be
    reliable?

    I've already downloaded the DVD anyway, so not sure if it is worth it.

    Lionel.

  2. Re: Upgrade system

    On Sat, 11 Oct 2008 10:11:35 +1000, none wrote:

    > Mandriva has just asked me if I want to upgrade to 2009. There's an
    > applet running in my system tray that I assume will to it automagically
    > for me if I say yes. Or will it? Does anyone know if this thing will be
    > reliable?
    >
    > I've already downloaded the DVD anyway, so not sure if it is worth it.
    >
    > Lionel.

    You can stop this by changing this line,

    DO_NOT_ASK_FOR_DISTRO_UPGRADE=true

    to true, in the /etc/sysconfig/mdkapplet file

    HTH

    Fred

  3. Re: Upgrade system

    Fred wrote:

    > On Sat, 11 Oct 2008 10:11:35 +1000, none wrote:
    >
    >> Mandriva has just asked me if I want to upgrade to 2009. There's an
    >> applet running in my system tray that I assume will to it automagically
    >> for me if I say yes. Or will it? Does anyone know if this thing will be
    >> reliable?
    >>
    >> I've already downloaded the DVD anyway, so not sure if it is worth it.
    >>
    >> Lionel.

    > You can stop this by changing this line,
    >
    > DO_NOT_ASK_FOR_DISTRO_UPGRADE=true
    >
    > to true, in the /etc/sysconfig/mdkapplet file
    >
    > HTH
    >
    > Fred.

    If you have the DVD, using that will be faster and perhaps more reliable
    than by downloading the packages. I haven't got the bandwidth to do it
    except from CDs/DVD.

    There is a body of opinion to the effect that it is better to run the DVD
    and tell it that you are doing a fresh install, keeping your existing
    partition structure. If your / and /usr are on separate partitions, they
    will be all that is overwritten. I am biased on that one - I have never
    had a satisfactory upgrade, even from a CD.

    Mdv 2009 installs KDE4. If you are a KDE user, there are some notes on the
    Wiki about protecting your KDE 3 settings.

    HTH,

    Doug.
    --
    It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without
    accepting it.

  4. Re: Upgrade system

    Doug Laidlaw wrote:

    > Fred wrote:
    >
    >> On Sat, 11 Oct 2008 10:11:35 +1000, none wrote:
    >>
    >>> Mandriva has just asked me if I want to upgrade to 2009. There's an
    >>> applet running in my system tray that I assume will to it automagically
    >>> for me if I say yes. Or will it? Does anyone know if this thing will be
    >>> reliable?
    >>>
    >>> I've already downloaded the DVD anyway, so not sure if it is worth it.
    >>>
    >>> Lionel.

    >> You can stop this by changing this line,
    >>
    >> DO_NOT_ASK_FOR_DISTRO_UPGRADE=true
    >>
    >> to true, in the /etc/sysconfig/mdkapplet file
    >>
    >> HTH
    >>
    >> Fred.

    > If you have the DVD, using that will be faster and perhaps more reliable
    > than by downloading the packages. I haven't got the bandwidth to do it
    > except from CDs/DVD.
    >
    > There is a body of opinion to the effect that it is better to run the DVD
    > and tell it that you are doing a fresh install, keeping your existing
    > partition structure. If your / and /usr are on separate partitions, they
    > will be all that is overwritten. I am biased on that one - I have never
    > had a satisfactory upgrade, even from a CD.
    >
    > Mdv 2009 installs KDE4. If you are a KDE user, there are some notes on
    > the Wiki about protecting your KDE 3 settings.
    >
    > HTH,
    >
    > Doug.

    This popped up for me last night. Like the OP, I had already burned CDs, but
    thought, 'what the hell' and gave it a go. So far, things seem OK. It kept
    my KDE3. So far one hiccup: I see html code in certain parts of pages, e.g.
    in www.mandriva.com/en/community/start I only see the raw code in the box
    above 'Forums' and 'Security and updates', and if I open new (blank) tab in
    Konqueror I
    get "about<b></b>:blank ".
    Looks like View Mode>Advanced Text Editor is et by default; changing to
    Khtml gives the message 'Could not start process Unable to create io-slave:
    Klauncher said unknown protocol ".'

    What's happened?

    Chris

  5. Re: Upgrade system

    > If you have the DVD, using that will be faster and perhaps more reliable
    > than by downloading the packages. I haven't got the bandwidth to do it
    > except from CDs/DVD.
    >
    > There is a body of opinion to the effect that it is better to run the
    > DVD and tell it that you are doing a fresh install, keeping your
    > existing partition structure. If your / and /usr are on separate
    > partitions, they will be all that is overwritten. I am biased on that
    > one - I have never had a satisfactory upgrade, even from a CD.
    >
    > Mdv 2009 installs KDE4. If you are a KDE user, there are some notes on
    > the Wiki about protecting your KDE 3 settings.
    >
    > HTH,
    >
    > Doug.

    This download offer for 2009, will it launch an install and attempt to do
    an upgrade or is it an iso file you can burn to disk and install
    whenever? I never do upgrades. I usually grab a new hard drive and
    install clean, keeping the previous hard drive intact in case I need to
    Registered Linux User #267152

  6. Re: Upgrade system

    none wrote:

    > Mandriva has just asked me if I want to upgrade to 2009. There's an
    > applet running in my system tray that I assume will to it automagically
    > for me if I say yes. Or will it? Does anyone know if this thing will be
    > reliable?
    >
    > I've already downloaded the DVD anyway, so not sure if it is worth it.
    >
    > Lionel.

    http://www.mandriva.com/en/mandriva-...fetime-policy/

  7. Re: Upgrade system

    On Sat, 11 Oct 2008 10:11:35 +1000, none wrote:
    > Mandriva has just asked me if I want to upgrade to 2009. There's an
    > applet running in my system tray that I assume will to it automagically
    > for me if I say yes. Or will it? Does anyone know if this thing will be
    > reliable?

    Usually asked by someone who does not have backups and/or has not
    kept an admin diary of their modifications/settings.

    What would you do if your disk died as you read this reply?

    > I've already downloaded the DVD anyway, so not sure if it is worth it.

    I have separate partitions I use for testing/installing new updates/releases.

    I always do a clean install. That way I can fallback to the running
    system if something goes bad. Once I am satisfied with the new
    install, the old partition becomes the new test partition.

    Have you looked through
    http://wiki.mandriva.com/en/2009.0_Notes
    http://wiki.mandriva.com/en/2009.0_Errata

  8. Re: Upgrade system

    Bit Twister wrote:
    > On Sat, 11 Oct 2008 10:11:35 +1000, none wrote:
    >> Mandriva has just asked me if I want to upgrade to 2009. There's an
    >> applet running in my system tray that I assume will to it automagically
    >> for me if I say yes. Or will it? Does anyone know if this thing will be
    >> reliable?

    > Usually asked by someone who does not have backups and/or has not
    > kept an admin diary of their modifications/settings.
    >
    > What would you do if your disk died as you read this reply?

    That's a false assumption and I resent it.

    >> I've already downloaded the DVD anyway, so not sure if it is worth it.

    > I have separate partitions I use for testing/installing new updates/releases.
    >
    > I always do a clean install. That way I can fallback to the running
    > system if something goes bad. Once I am satisfied with the new
    > install, the old partition becomes the new test partition.

    I'm glad to hear it.

    > Have you looked through
    > http://wiki.mandriva.com/en/2009.0_Notes
    > http://wiki.mandriva.com/en/2009.0_Errata

    I am now to see if it answers my question.

    Thanks

    Lionel.

  9. Re: Upgrade system

    On Sat, 11 Oct 2008 22:30:51 +1000, none wrote:
    > Bit Twister wrote:
    >> Usually asked by someone who does not have backups and/or has not
    >> kept an admin diary of their modifications/settings.
    >>
    >> What would you do if your disk died as you read this reply?

    > That's a false assumption and I resent it.

    No need to resent it. I usually write to the lurkers and not just to
    the poster. :-)

    >> Have you looked through
    >> http://wiki.mandriva.com/en/2009.0_Notes
    >> http://wiki.mandriva.com/en/2009.0_Errata

    > I am now to see if it answers my question.

    I'm glad to hear it.

    Very few people would know your hardware/software requirements and
    their success/failure may not match yours.

    I have seen upgrades from .0 to .1 work in the past for the great
    majority and yet one or two people had pesky problems which went away
    when they did a clean install.

  10. Re: Upgrade system

    On Sat, 11 Oct 2008 11:44:34 +0000, JTJersey wrote:

    >> If you have the DVD, using that will be faster and perhaps more
    >> reliable than by downloading the packages. I haven't got the bandwidth
    >> to do it except from CDs/DVD.
    >>
    >> There is a body of opinion to the effect that it is better to run the
    >> DVD and tell it that you are doing a fresh install, keeping your
    >> existing partition structure. If your / and /usr are on separate
    >> partitions, they will be all that is overwritten. I am biased on that
    >> one - I have never had a satisfactory upgrade, even from a CD.
    >>
    >> Mdv 2009 installs KDE4. If you are a KDE user, there are some notes on
    >> the Wiki about protecting your KDE 3 settings.
    >>
    >> HTH,
    >>
    >> Doug.

    > This download offer for 2009, will it launch an install and attempt to
    > do an upgrade or is it an iso file you can burn to disk and install
    > whenever? I never do upgrades. I usually grab a new hard drive and
    > install clean, keeping the previous hard drive intact in case I need to

    Took my life in my hands and told it to update to 2009. It changes the
    repositories then updates the whole system, 1400+ packages in my case.

    Only hiccup was it screwed my Xserver. So I ran drakx11 as root, it
    prompted me to download the proprietary NVidia driver, downloaded the
    kernel headers, rebuilt the kernel module and all is sunshine and light!

    Even rebuilt the VirtualBox kernel module on the first reboot.

    Now have KDE 3.5 with all settings intact. Need to find out if I can
    select KDE 3 or 4 at the login screen and download the right packages.

    Regards
    Gordon

  11. Re: Upgrade system

    Bit Twister wrote:
    >>> Have you looked through
    >>> http://wiki.mandriva.com/en/2009.0_Notes
    >>> http://wiki.mandriva.com/en/2009.0_Errata

    >> I am now to see if it answers my question.

    > I'm glad to hear it.
    >
    > Very few people would know your hardware/software requirements and
    > their success/failure may not match yours.
    >
    > I have seen upgrades from .0 to .1 work in the past for the great
    > majority and yet one or two people had pesky problems which went away
    > when they did a clean install.

    The release notes sell the way it is supposed to work. I think I will
    stick with doing a clean install so I don't have to mess around the way
    a few others have reported.

    Thanks

    Lionel.

+ Reply to Thread