Just installed Manny 2009 - Mandriva

This is a discussion on Just installed Manny 2009 - Mandriva ; I haven't used Mandrake/Mandriva since LE2005 and am a bit rusty. I've been having problems with my favourite distro and my hardware recently (Not the brown distro) and of all the latest Gnome releases only Mandriva and OpenSUSE work with ...

  1. Just installed Manny 2009

    I haven't used Mandrake/Mandriva since LE2005 and am a bit rusty. I've
    been having problems with my favourite distro and my hardware recently
    (Not the brown distro) and of all the latest Gnome releases only Mandriva
    and OpenSUSE work with my video hardware. OpenSUSE, I'm not happy having,
    unless there's another choice.

    I was surprised that Mandriva forces libmono as a dependency to Evolution.
    One of the first things I do on a new install is completely remove Mono.
    I will put up with that one dependency for now though.

    I've enabled PLF and seem to have multimedia working, but there seem to
    be some packages I need missing:

    GJiten

    DVD95

    RealPlayer 11

    Win32Codecs

    Sun Java Runtime

    In the other distro I used I was used to installing Java manually using
    GEdit and Alternatives. I wonder if it's the same in Manny?

    I suppose I should download the RPM of Real from their site and also
    install that manually.

    My keyboard is also driving me nuts, every time I hit 'Del' I get a
    .. (period) The Num-Lock key is not lighted!

    Comments, flames and beer welcome..

    Wayne
    --
    Registered Linux user #375994

    --
    Registered Linux user #375994

  2. Re: Just installed Manny 2009

    On Fri, 10 Oct 2008 04:39:27 +0000, Wayne wrote:

    > Sun Java Runtime
    >
    > In the other distro I used I was used to installing Java manually using
    > GEdit and Alternatives. I wonder if it's the same in Manny?

    Duh! Must be tired... Second time around found it in the repos....

    Wayne
    --
    Registered Linux user #375994

    --
    Registered Linux user #375994

  3. Re: Just installed Manny 2009

    Wayne wrote:

    > On Fri, 10 Oct 2008 04:39:27 +0000, Wayne wrote:
    >
    >> Sun Java Runtime
    >>
    >> In the other distro I used I was used to installing Java manually using
    >> GEdit and Alternatives. I wonder if it's the same in Manny?

    > Duh! Must be tired... Second time around found it in the repos....
    >
    > Wayne

    Yes, I have versions 1.6 and 1.7. The latest version breaks some of my Java
    apps.

    I don't understand Mono anyway, but if it is there only as a dependency, you
    can probably ignore it.

    Doug L.
    --
    Science is organized knowledge. Wisdom is organized life.
    - Immanuel Kant

  4. Re: Just installed Manny 2009

    On Fri, 10 Oct 2008 18:40:53 +1100, Doug Laidlaw wrote:

    Remember your name well from the past, along with Bit Twister and I'm
    sure I saw a finned creature swimming through the reeds earlier

    > Yes, I have versions 1.6 and 1.7. The latest version breaks some of my
    > Java apps.

    I just took what was available in the repo as a dependency to the export
    libraries of OpenOffice 3... In a way, I stumbled upon the answer
    The only Java app I use regularly is JAlbum. I haven't found anything
    native that compares with it.

    I usually don't install a distro's version of OpenOffice, I prefer to
    have OxygenOffice for the extras, but I noticed Manny had the latest
    beta of OpenOffice 3 so though why not have a look!

    > I don't understand Mono anyway, but if it is there only as a dependency,
    > you can probably ignore it.

    Mono is Mono. Some folks think it's the best thing since sliced bread,
    others think it's a disaster waiting to happen. If the best app they
    have is F-Spot, I can do with out it. GThumb is plenty for my needs
    and dare I say it, the latest beta of Picasa 3 is way better than
    F-Spot! Even if it still uses a custom version of Wine!

    The only RPMs of GJiten I can find are for OpenSuse 11 or Fedora
    Core 4... bit of a bummer as I rely on that little app a lot!

    Well, gotta down a couple of pints, it is Friday evening

    Wayne
    --
    Registered Linux user #375994

  5. Re: Just installed Manny 2009

    Wayne writes:

    >The only RPMs of GJiten I can find are for OpenSuse 11 or Fedora
    >Core 4... bit of a bummer as I rely on that little app a lot!

    So download their source rpm and try compiling it.

    (rpm --rebuild)

    >Well, gotta down a couple of pints, it is Friday evening

    >Wayne
    >--
    >Registered Linux user #375994

  6. Re: Just installed Manny 2009

    Wayne wrote:
    > Mono is Mono. Some folks think it's the best thing since sliced bread,
    > others think it's a disaster waiting to happen. If the best app they
    > have is F-Spot, I can do with out it. GThumb is plenty for my needs
    > and dare I say it, the latest beta of Picasa 3 is way better than
    > F-Spot! Even if it still uses a custom version of Wine!

    Why they hate mono: because it's a Microsoft inspired product and they think
    Novell is stupid enough to use patented technology.

    Why they shouldn't hate mono: because even if it's a Microsoft inspired
    product, Microsoft is not doing only bad things and .Net is cool and
    because Novell is not a stupid company.

    With classpath and all those java clone, did we hear any complain about
    patent?

    FOSS pioneers don't hate MS. They don't care. Other, more voiced, coming
    from Windows world, hate MS. Frustration?

    I trust Novell. I don't care about those trying to spread FUD.

+ Reply to Thread