Password protection ??? - Mandriva

This is a discussion on Password protection ??? - Mandriva ; My daughter got another computer....not new.... She wants me to put Mandriva on it along with the windows version that is on it and password protect everything....grandson protect it LOL is what she means. I know how to setup mandriva ...

  1. Password protection ???

    My daughter got another computer....not new....
    She wants me to put Mandriva on it along with
    the windows version that is on it and password
    protect everything....grandson protect it LOL
    is what she means.
    I know how to setup mandriva at start up
    to have password protection but dont know how
    to password protect windows at the start up
    screen.
    Help please
    Tia, Dale

  2. Re: Password protection ???

    Dale wrote:
    > My daughter got another computer....not new....
    > She wants me to put Mandriva on it along with
    > the windows version that is on it and password
    > protect everything....grandson protect it LOL
    > is what she means.

    The business about protecting a computer from an adversary with some
    skills who has access to the computer is going to be about the
    skills/resources of the adversary. There are some grandsons who work for
    the national security agency and a whole lot of them who are very
    effective hackers and crackers -- including some of those who are pretty
    young. It would be a big mistake to underestimate the adversary if the
    security were actually important.

    I would consider a determined young man who had a few skills and was
    interested in prying into his mom's private interests who is trying to
    hide them from him to be an adversary of significant threat who was very
    likely to be underestimated.

    > I know how to setup mandriva at start up
    > to have password protection but dont know how
    > to password protect windows at the start up
    > screen.

    Are we talking about trivial security or are we talking about something
    else?

    --
    Mike Easter

  3. Re: Password protection ???

    Mike Easter wrote:

    > Dale wrote:
    >> My daughter got another computer....not new....
    >> She wants me to put Mandriva on it along with
    >> the windows version that is on it and password
    >> protect everything....grandson protect it LOL
    >> is what she means.

    > The business about protecting a computer from an adversary with some
    > skills who has access to the computer is going to be about the
    > skills/resources of the adversary. There are some grandsons who work for
    > the national security agency and a whole lot of them who are very
    > effective hackers and crackers -- including some of those who are pretty
    > young. It would be a big mistake to underestimate the adversary if the
    > security were actually important.
    >
    > I would consider a determined young man who had a few skills and was
    > interested in prying into his mom's private interests who is trying to
    > hide them from him to be an adversary of significant threat who was very
    > likely to be underestimated.
    >
    >> I know how to setup mandriva at start up
    >> to have password protection but dont know how
    >> to password protect windows at the start up
    >> screen.

    > Are we talking about trivial security or are we talking about something
    > else?

    It doesnt have to keep out the FBI or CIA.
    Were just trying to set it up so that on startup
    you need a password to enter either windows
    or mandriva.

  4. Re: Password protection ???

    "Dale" wrote in message
    > Mike Easter wrote:
    >

    > It doesnt have to keep out the FBI or CIA.
    > Were just trying to set it up so that on startup
    > you need a password to enter either windows
    > or mandriva.

    How about you set a boot-up password in the BIOS?
    Does that meet the requirements?

  5. Re: Password protection ???

    Dale wrote:
    > Mike Easter wrote:
    >

    >> Dale wrote:
    >>
    >>> My daughter got another computer....not new....
    >>> She wants me to put Mandriva on it along with
    >>> the windows version that is on it and password
    >>> protect everything....grandson protect it LOL
    >>> is what she means.
    >>>

    >> The business about protecting a computer from an adversary with some
    >> skills who has access to the computer is going to be about the
    >> skills/resources of the adversary. There are some grandsons who work for
    >> the national security agency and a whole lot of them who are very
    >> effective hackers and crackers -- including some of those who are pretty
    >> young. It would be a big mistake to underestimate the adversary if the
    >> security were actually important.
    >>
    >> I would consider a determined young man who had a few skills and was
    >> interested in prying into his mom's private interests who is trying to
    >> hide them from him to be an adversary of significant threat who was very
    >> likely to be underestimated.
    >>

    >>> I know how to setup mandriva at start up
    >>> to have password protection but dont know how
    >>> to password protect windows at the start up
    >>> screen.
    >>>

    >> Are we talking about trivial security or are we talking about something
    >> else?
    >>

    > It doesnt have to keep out the FBI or CIA.
    > Were just trying to set it up so that on startup
    > you need a password to enter either windows
    > or mandriva.

    Sounds like a job for a BIOS password which you should
    be able to setup from an early boot screen as the BIOS
    loads. You should see an instruction as to which function
    key you need to hit to set that up right on the BIOS
    startup screen.
    That means that before you could get to LiLo or Grub you
    would be required to input a BIOS password then be presented
    with the choice of OS and then the login screen for which ever
    OS would be run where you would have to enter another
    password.

    Be sure the person you are setting it up for has a copy
    of the passwords. Some (most)versions of Windows are
    not too secure even with passwords and when you set them
    be sure to disable a timed reset or the operator will be
    required to change the password at regular intervals.
    That happened to me on a second hand laptop and I had
    fortunately a Linux disk which let me disable the password
    on the Windows side. The BIOS password can be reset to
    no password by dealing with the hardware side but unless
    you are a boni fide hardware maven have a tech do that.

    later
    bliss at california dot com

    --
    bobbie sellers -(Back to Angband)Team *AMIGA & SF-LUG*
    a retired nurse in San Francisco

    "It is by will alone I set my mind in motion.
    It is by the beans of cocoa that the thoughts acquire speed,
    the thighs acquire girth, the girth become a warning.
    It is by theobromine alone I set my mind in motion."
    --from Someone else's Dune spoof ripped to my taste.

  6. Re: Password protection ???

    Dale wrote:
    > Mike Easter wrote:
    >> Dale wrote:
    >>> grandson protect it LOL
    >>> is what she means.

    >> Are we talking about trivial security or are we talking about something
    >> else?

    > you need a password to enter either windows
    > or mandriva.

    I think it would be better (in some ways) to have a pw for the grub
    bootloader than pw for the bios.

    It would be better if the (clumsy or inexperienced) adversary who has
    access to the hardware were seeking the software crack to the grub
    password protection than (trying to) access the reset jumper for the bios
    cmos.

    --
    Mike Easter

  7. Re: Password protection ???

    Gireesh Bhat wrote:
    > "Dale" wrote in message
    >
    >>Mike Easter wrote:
    >>

    >>It doesnt have to keep out the FBI or CIA.
    >>Were just trying to set it up so that on startup
    >>you need a password to enter either windows
    >>or mandriva.
    >>

    > How about you set a boot-up password in the BIOS?
    > Does that meet the requirements?

    I'd second that.

    My teenage (14-year old) son has taken to using the computer for online
    RPG. I don't mind that too much, it's just flash graphics firing
    lightning bolts at cartoon dragons, and such -- except when my wife or I
    wants to use the computer, we get "yeah, just wait a minute, I'll get
    off as soon as I finish this..." and that minute goes on for half an
    hour. And he's too big to just shove him off...

    So we passworded the user account. What does he do next?

    gets a Fedora CD and boot off that. All he wants is on the web or on his
    MP3 player anyway.

    A password is enough to keep him off, except when he /asks/ one of us to
    log on (and when we know we won't be needing the machine for hours, that
    he's done his homework for school, and blablabla...)

    But there has to be a password /before/ the PC boots off the hard drive,
    *as* *well* *as* a logon password for the user account.

    Frank

  8. Re: Password protection ???

    Dale wrote:

    > My daughter got another computer....not new....
    > She wants me to put Mandriva on it along with
    > the windows version that is on it and password
    > protect everything....grandson protect it LOL
    > is what she means.
    > I know how to setup mandriva at start up
    > to have password protection but dont know how
    > to password protect windows at the start up
    > screen.
    > Help please
    > Tia, Dale

    Thanks to help I got here I am now trying
    to set up a bios password on her HP machine.
    On all the other machine's I have worked with
    all I needed to do to get into the bios was hit
    the "delete" key while it was booting up.
    That doesnt work on her HP machine.
    How do I get into the bios on an HP computer?
    Tia,Dale

  9. Re: Password protection ???

    On Sun, 12 Oct 2008 16:42:05 +0000, Christopher Hunter wrote:

    > Dale wrote:
    >
    >> Thanks to help I got here I am now trying
    >> to set up a bios password on her HP machine.
    >> On all the other machine's I have worked with
    >> all I needed to do to get into the bios was hit the "delete" key while
    >> it was booting up. That doesnt work on her HP machine.
    >> How do I get into the bios on an HP computer?

    > It varies - some machines want the "F1" key, some want the "Esc" key,
    > and some want the "Del" key. During boot, try each!
    >
    > C.

    Others want F5 or F12

    --
    Neil
    reverse ra and delete l

  10. Re: Password protection ???

    Dale wrote:

    > Thanks to help I got here I am now trying
    > to set up a bios password on her HP machine.
    > On all the other machine's I have worked with
    > all I needed to do to get into the bios was hit
    > the "delete" key while it was booting up.
    > That doesnt work on her HP machine.
    > How do I get into the bios on an HP computer?

    It varies - some machines want the "F1" key, some want the "Esc" key, and
    some want the "Del" key. During boot, try each!

    C.

  11. Re: Password protection ???

    Dale wrote:

    > How do I get into the bios on an HP computer?

    Usually F1. Rarely F10.

    --
    Mike Easter

  12. Re: Password protection ???

    On Sun, 12 Oct 2008 16:42:05 +0000, Christopher Hunter wrote:

    > Dale wrote:
    >
    >> How do I get into the bios on an HP computer?

    > It varies - some machines want the "F1" key, some want the "Esc" key,
    > and some want the "Del" key. During boot, try each!

    A lot of Compaqs and Dells are set to use F2, as is my old HP laptop.

+ Reply to Thread