Never Again! (Upgrading 2008.1 to 2009 rc2) - Mandriva

This is a discussion on Never Again! (Upgrading 2008.1 to 2009 rc2) - Mandriva ; I have always been against upgrading. Upgrading rc1 (a secondary installation) to rc2 was painless, so I tried upgrading my mission-critical 2008.1 to rc2 - mainly because rc2 was such a small release (2 CDs.) I nearly lost everything. As ...

  1. Never Again! (Upgrading 2008.1 to 2009 rc2)

    I have always been against upgrading. Upgrading rc1 (a secondary
    installation) to rc2 was painless, so I tried upgrading my mission-critical
    2008.1 to rc2 - mainly because rc2 was such a small release (2 CDs.)

    I nearly lost everything. As a precaution, I had backed up my 2008.1
    first - thank goodness.

    Everything was there, but the login manager was silver-gray with an analog
    clock. Every user on the system, including system users (avahi, apache,
    etc) was available to select. It seemed to have something to do with KDM,
    because on selecting shutdown I saw the KDE selector for the next move.
    The login wouldn't work - most of the time. When it did, I got a blue
    screen with a small white terminal. I restored my backup and still had the
    same login manager, still with every user. Finally, I did a fresh install
    of 2008.1 from the DVD and restored my Mondorescue backup over that. The
    result worked perfectly. I only had to revise my bootloader to accept the
    changed UUIDs - that was all.

    Incidentally, when upgrading rc1 to rc2, I noticed that before calling for
    CD2, the installer copied some files from CD1 for future use. I thought
    that it would avoid swapping CDs back and forth, but it didn't. If it had,
    it would have been a great idea.

    Doug.
    --
    There is no duty we so much underrate as the duty of being happy.
    - R.L. Stevenson.

  2. Re: Never Again! (Upgrading 2008.1 to 2009 rc2)

    On Fri, 10 Oct 2008 03:16:11 +1100, Doug Laidlaw wrote:
    > I have always been against upgrading. Upgrading rc1 (a secondary
    > installation) to rc2 was painless, so I tried upgrading my mission-critical
    > 2008.1 to rc2 - mainly because rc2 was such a small release (2 CDs.)
    >
    > I nearly lost everything. As a precaution, I had backed up my 2008.1
    > first - thank goodness.

    Heheheh, you picked a fine time to do your first upgrade. Never hurts
    to read the release and the errata docs.

    http://wiki.mandriva.com/en/2009.0_Notes
    http://wiki.mandriva.com/en/2009.0_Errata

  3. Re: Never Again! (Upgrading 2008.1 to 2009 rc2)

    Bit Twister wrote:

    > On Fri, 10 Oct 2008 03:16:11 +1100, Doug Laidlaw wrote:
    >> I have always been against upgrading. Upgrading rc1 (a secondary
    >> installation) to rc2 was painless, so I tried upgrading my
    >> mission-critical 2008.1 to rc2 - mainly because rc2 was such a small
    >> release (2 CDs.)
    >>
    >> I nearly lost everything. As a precaution, I had backed up my 2008.1
    >> first - thank goodness.

    > Heheheh, you picked a fine time to do your first upgrade. Never hurts
    > to read the release and the errata docs.
    >
    > http://wiki.mandriva.com/en/2009.0_Notes
    > http://wiki.mandriva.com/en/2009.0_Errata

    Sounds like I got the KDE4 login manager. That makes sense, but having
    every system user available does not.

    It wasn't my very first upgrade, because all my experience of upgrading is
    against it.

    I will wait for the final release, then do a fresh install. There are still
    things about KDE4 I don't like, so I will probably go back to KDE3. Having
    separate backups of my system (as of yesterday) and of my /home directory
    (4 times a day) means I can put my settings back.

    Doug.
    --
    History is philosophy derived from examples.
    - Dionysius of Halicarnassus, 1st c. B.C.

  4. Re: Never Again! (Upgrading 2008.1 to 2009 rc2)

    Doug Laidlaw wrote:

    > Sounds like I got the KDE4 login manager. *That makes sense, but having
    > every system user available does not.
    >
    > It wasn't my very first upgrade, because all my experience of upgrading is
    > against it.
    >
    > I will wait for the final release, then do a fresh install. *There are
    > still things about KDE4 I don't like, so I will probably go back to KDE3.
    > Having separate backups of my system (as of yesterday) and of my /home
    > directory (4 times a day) means I can put my settings back.
    >
    > Doug.

    What I don't understand, is still getting that login manager after restoring
    the backup. The backup did not include /home. If the old login manager
    was set in /home, it should not have changed in the first place. If it is
    set elsewhere, restoring should have put the old one back.

    But my real reason for posting at all was to give an " 'orrible example" of
    the mess that upgrading can get you into. I know that it isn't
    recommended.

    Doug.
    --
    Most of the important things in the world have been accomplished by people
    who have kept on trying when there seemed to be no hope at all.

+ Reply to Thread