Updae from 2007.1 to 2008.1 - Mandriva

This is a discussion on Updae from 2007.1 to 2008.1 - Mandriva ; Vince Coen wrote: > Hello All! > > Has anyone updated direct from 2007.1 to 2008.1 and if so did it work without > problems? > > I have to make a choice now that support for 2007.1 is stopping. ...

  1. Re: Updae from 2007.1 to 2008.1

    Vince Coen wrote:
    > Hello All!
    >
    > Has anyone updated direct from 2007.1 to 2008.1 and if so did it work without
    > problems?
    >
    > I have to make a choice now that support for 2007.1 is stopping.
    >
    > Vince

    There are several pages of errata for the update to 2008.1.
    Until I dealt with the issues raised there the upgrade really didn't
    happen, specifically the kernel update.

    later
    bliss at california dot com

    --
    bobbie sellers -(Back to Angband)Team *AMIGA & SF-LUG*
    - a retired nurse in San Francisco

    Ningen banji Human beings do
    Samazama no Every single kind
    Baka a suru Of stupid thing
    --- 117th edition of Haifu Yanagidaru published in 1832

  2. Re: Updae from 2007.1 to 2008.1

    Vince Coen wrote:

    > Hello All!
    >
    > Has anyone updated direct from 2007.1 to 2008.1 and if so did it work
    > without problems?
    >
    > I have to make a choice now that support for 2007.1 is stopping.
    >
    > Vince

    Hello,

    If you can wait a few days you could go for the unexpected 2009.0 with it's
    bugged KDE4...

    I never did any update. Only unclean upgrades keeping /home and it's
    parameters. It worked for LE2005-2007.1, 2006-2008.0 and 2007.1-2008.1.

    Condition sine qua non: having separate / and /home.

    For 2009.0 I would choose KDE 3.5.10 if possible or install a minimal Gnome
    and IceWM primely before getting KDE3.5 from the repos. KDE4 is still
    pre-beta and should not be found on any distro... This is a known Mandriva
    2009.0 unofficial errata.

    In fact not so unofficial as it seems... We see 80% of the 2009.0 errata
    linked to KDE4.1.x.

    Ciao @+

  3. Re: Updae from 2007.1 to 2008.1

    On Tue, 07 Oct 2008 14:44:40 +0000, Vince Coen wrote:

    > Hello All!
    >
    > Has anyone updated direct from 2007.1 to 2008.1 and if so did it work
    > without problems?
    >
    > I have to make a choice now that support for 2007.1 is stopping.

    Why? If 2007.1 works for you there's no *need* to upgrade. Upgrading
    always causes some problems.

  4. Re: Updae from 2007.1 to 2008.1

    On Tue, 07 Oct 2008 14:00:07 -0400, Wes Newell wrote:

    > Why? If 2007.1 works for you there's no *need* to upgrade. Upgrading
    > always causes some problems.

    As per http://www.mandriva.com/en/mandriva-...fetime-policy/
    starting next week, 2007.1 will no longer be getting base updates.

    Having waited this long, I'd wait another week, and do a clean install
    of 2009.0.

    Regards, Dave Hodgins

  5. Updae from 2007.1 to 2008.1

    Hello All!

    Has anyone updated direct from 2007.1 to 2008.1 and if so did it work without
    problems?

    I have to make a choice now that support for 2007.1 is stopping.

    Vince

  6. Re: Updae from 2007.1 to 2008.1

    bobbie sellers wrote:

    > Vince Coen wrote:
    >> Hello All!
    >>
    >> Has anyone updated direct from 2007.1 to 2008.1 and if so did it work
    >> without problems?
    >>
    >> I have to make a choice now that support for 2007.1 is stopping.
    >>
    >> Vince
    >>

    > There are several pages of errata for the update to 2008.1.
    > Until I dealt with the issues raised there the upgrade really didn't
    > happen, specifically the kernel update.
    >
    > later
    > bliss at california dot com

    I almost never update from the installation menu. A fresh installation is
    much cleaner and causes fewer problems. You can usually keep your /home
    directory if it is on a separate partition. If not, give it one:
    http://www.gentoo.org/doc/en/article...tioning-p1.xml

    Otherwise, I adopt everything the others have said.

    Doug.
    --
    Who does the best his circumstance allows,
    Does well, acts nobly; angels could no more.

+ Reply to Thread