Mandiva 2009 vs encrypted partitions - Mandriva

This is a discussion on Mandiva 2009 vs encrypted partitions - Mandriva ; Hello, I've problem whith Mandriva 2009 RC2 and encrypted partition. When I use Drakconf for creating encrypted partition, I get no error but the partition isn't crypted, when I mount my partition, no password is aked; and these 2 differents ...

  1. Mandiva 2009 vs encrypted partitions

    Hello,

    I've problem whith Mandriva 2009 RC2 and encrypted partition.
    When I use Drakconf for creating encrypted partition, I get no error but
    the partition isn't crypted, when I mount my partition, no password is
    aked; and these 2 differents lines in /etc/fstab has the same effect :
    the partition is mounted (without password) and I wand write/read on it:
    /dev/mapper/isw_diihcfebde_Volume0p7 /data ext3
    defaults,encryption=AES256 0 0

    or

    /dev/mapper/isw_diihcfebde_Volume0p7 /data ext3 defaults 0 0

    I've the same problem if I try to create my encrypted partition manualy,
    the command line :
    losetup -e AES256 /dev/loop1 /dev/mapper/isw_diihcfebde_Volume0p7
    get no error, but doesn't ask for password...

    (I also use RAID1...)

    some idea?

    thanks! :-)

    Fabien

  2. Re: Mandiva 2009 vs encrypted partitions

    on Monday 06 October 2008 18:27
    Fabien wrote:

    > Hello,
    >
    > I've problem whith Mandriva 2009 RC2 and encrypted partition.

    [snip]

    Is this your bug?

    --
    sig goes here...
    Peter D.

  3. Re: Mandiva 2009 vs encrypted partitions

    Peter D. a écrit :
    > on Monday 06 October 2008 18:27
    > in the Usenet newsgroup alt.os.linux.mandriva
    > Fabien wrote:
    >
    >> Hello,
    >>
    >> I've problem whith Mandriva 2009 RC2 and encrypted partition.

    > [snip]
    >
    > Is this your bug?

    Hello Peter,

    no that's not my bug : although I call "mount" manualy, I'm not prompted
    for password and the partition is mounted (uncrypted).
    I think it's a problem with losetup...
    Also, is there a problem with encrypted partition on RAID volume???

    regards,

    Fabien

  4. Re: Mandiva 2009 vs encrypted partitions

    On Mon, 06 Oct 2008 03:27:41 -0400, Fabien wrote:

    > When I use Drakconf for creating encrypted partition, I get no error but

    > I've the same problem if I try to create my encrypted partition manualy,
    > the command line :
    > losetup -e AES256 /dev/loop1 /dev/mapper/isw_diihcfebde_Volume0p7
    > get no error, but doesn't ask for password...

    I haven't checked out 2009 yet, but since 2008.0, using losetup for
    encrypted filesystems has been deprecated. See
    http://wiki.mandriva.com/en/Releases...ed_filesystems
    try "/sbin/cryptsetup luksOpen /dev/mapper/isw_diihcfebde_Volume0p7 MapperName"
    replacing MapperName with any name not currently in use under /dev/mapper.

    The unencrypted filesystem would then be available as /dev/mapper/MapperName.

    If drakconf was used to create the encrypted volume, there should be an entry
    in /etc/crypttab, which would cause /etc/rc.d/rc.sysinit to mount it, asking
    for the password. I think drakconf adds the entry, after the filesystem has
    been formatted, and the fstab entry created.

    Regards, Dave Hodgins