Pan shows unread messages as read after update. - Mandriva

This is a discussion on Pan shows unread messages as read after update. - Mandriva ; There was an update to Pan Newsreader on September 23rd by my records and ever since the update often times, but not always, Pan displays new unread posts as being read and older read posts as being unread. I tried ...

  1. Pan shows unread messages as read after update.

    There was an update to Pan Newsreader on September 23rd by my records and
    ever since the update often times, but not always, Pan displays new
    unread posts as being read and older read posts as being unread. I tried
    marking all posts as read in a newsgroup, deleted the posts then
    restarted Pan and downloaded the latest headers and they all displayed as
    being read regardless. Makes it hard to keep track of threads. Anyone
    else experience this?

    --
    Registered Linux User #267152

  2. Re: Pan shows unread messages as read after update.

    JTJersey wrote:

    > There was an update to Pan Newsreader on September 23rd by my records and
    > ever since the update often times, but not always, Pan displays new
    > unread posts as being read and older read posts as being unread. I tried
    > marking all posts as read in a newsgroup, deleted the posts then
    > restarted Pan and downloaded the latest headers and they all displayed as
    > being read regardless. Makes it hard to keep track of threads. Anyone
    > else experience this?

    You might want to upgrade to the stable and fully-featured version you
    see noted in my headers.

    --
    Blinky
    Killing all posts from Google Groups

  3. Re: Pan shows unread messages as read after update.

    On Sat, 04 Oct 2008 21:35:24 +0000, JTJersey wrote:

    > There was an update to Pan Newsreader on September 23rd by my records and
    > ever since the update often times, but not always, Pan displays new
    > unread posts as being read and older read posts as being unread. I tried
    > marking all posts as read in a newsgroup, deleted the posts then
    > restarted Pan and downloaded the latest headers and they all displayed as
    > being read regardless. Makes it hard to keep track of threads. Anyone
    > else experience this?

    Nice to hear somebody else is having the same problems,but it doesn't seem
    to be isolated to Pan in my case.Pan 0.132(PCLinux
    2007),Thunderbird(Windows XP) and Xnews(Windows XP) are all doing the same
    thing when using the news server from my ISP(nntp.fuse.net).Also get
    posting errors eg. server not available.I'm posting this from my
    Motzarella account with Pan 0.14.2(Mint Elyssa-VM) and no such problems.

    Dave

    --
    Registered Linux user #444770

  4. Re: Pan shows unread messages as read after update.

    On Sat, 04 Oct 2008 21:01:15 -0700, Blinky the Shark wrote:

    > JTJersey wrote:
    >
    >> There was an update to Pan Newsreader on September 23rd by my records
    >> and ever since the update often times, but not always, Pan displays new
    >> unread posts as being read and older read posts as being unread. I
    >> tried marking all posts as read in a newsgroup, deleted the posts then
    >> restarted Pan and downloaded the latest headers and they all displayed
    >> as being read regardless. Makes it hard to keep track of threads.
    >> Anyone else experience this?

    > You might want to upgrade to the stable and fully-featured version you
    > see noted in my headers.

    I did a URPMI for Pan/0.14.2.91 with and without the / but nothing was
    found. If I download the .tar file from rebelbase.com would you
    recommend uninstalling the version of Pan I have now first or will it
    update itself to this version?

    --
    Registered Linux User #267152

  5. Re: Pan shows unread messages as read after update.

    On Mon, 06 Oct 2008 21:21:55 -0400, JTJersey wrote:

    > I did a URPMI for Pan/0.14.2.91 with and without the / but nothing was

    urpmi will only install the latest version of a package, that it knows about.

    Mandriva rpm package names rarely have uppercase in the package names, and
    almost never include version numbers.

    "urpmi pan" will install the latest version, on the repositories you've set
    up. The pan project seems to have a very messed up versioning number system.
    Looking at http://pan.rebelbase.com/download/ the latest stable version is
    pan 0.14.2, while the beta version is 0.132. The beta version number is less
    than the stable version number??? Weird. I don't use pan, so don't know
    which version is better.

    The latest version on the main/update Mandriva 2008.1 mirrors is ...
    $ urpmq -i pan
    Name : pan
    Version : 0.132
    Release : 3.1mdv2008.1

    So, it looks like Mandriva have chosen to use the beta version. Running
    "urpmi pan" should install that version, on your system.

    If you do choose to install from the .tar.gz file, definitely run "urpme pan",
    to remove the old version, so any updates from Mandriva, that may be
    "in between" versions, don't overwrite the currently installed version.

    Regards, Dave Hodgins

  6. Re: Pan shows unread messages as read after update.

    On Tue, 07 Oct 2008 02:02:08 -0400, David W. Hodgins wrote:

    > "urpmi pan" will install the latest version, on the repositories you've
    > set up. The pan project seems to have a very messed up versioning
    > number system. Looking at http://pan.rebelbase.com/download/ the latest
    > stable version is pan 0.14.2, while the beta version is 0.132. The beta
    > version number is less than the stable version number??? Weird. I
    > don't use pan, so don't know which version is better.
    >
    > The latest version on the main/update Mandriva 2008.1 mirrors is ... $
    > urpmq -i pan
    > Name : pan
    > Version : 0.132
    > Release : 3.1mdv2008.1
    >
    > So, it looks like Mandriva have chosen to use the beta version. Running
    > "urpmi pan" should install that version, on your system.
    >
    > If you do choose to install from the .tar.gz file, definitely run "urpme
    > pan", to remove the old version, so any updates from Mandriva, that may
    > be "in between" versions, don't overwrite the currently installed
    > version.
    >
    > Regards, Dave Hodgins

    The version of pan that I use is 0.132 and I have had no problems with it
    at all. I am using debian Lenny and even though it is called testing it
    is much more stable than any other distro I have tried.

    --
    Neil
    reverse ra and delete l

  7. Re: Pan shows unread messages as read after update.

    On Tue, 07 Oct 2008 02:02:08 -0400, David W. Hodgins wrote:

    > On Mon, 06 Oct 2008 21:21:55 -0400, JTJersey wrote:
    >
    >> I did a URPMI for Pan/0.14.2.91 with and without the / but nothing was

    > urpmi will only install the latest version of a package, that it knows
    > about.
    >
    > Mandriva rpm package names rarely have uppercase in the package names,
    > and almost never include version numbers.
    >
    > "urpmi pan" will install the latest version, on the repositories you've
    > set up. The pan project seems to have a very messed up versioning
    > number system. Looking at http://pan.rebelbase.com/download/ the latest
    > stable version is pan 0.14.2, while the beta version is 0.132. The beta
    > version number is less than the stable version number??? Weird. I
    > don't use pan, so don't know which version is better.
    >
    > The latest version on the main/update Mandriva 2008.1 mirrors is ... $
    > urpmq -i pan
    > Name : pan
    > Version : 0.132
    > Release : 3.1mdv2008.1
    >
    > So, it looks like Mandriva have chosen to use the beta version. Running
    > "urpmi pan" should install that version, on your system.
    >
    > If you do choose to install from the .tar.gz file, definitely run "urpme
    > pan", to remove the old version, so any updates from Mandriva, that may
    > be "in between" versions, don't overwrite the currently installed
    > version.
    >
    > Regards, Dave Hodgins

    Thanks. My current version of Pan is the 0.132 you mentioned. I kind of
    thought it would be best to delete this version of Pan prior installing
    the newer one, but I wasn't thinking about Mandriva's updates. Glad you
    pointed that out.

    --
    Registered Linux User #267152

  8. Re: Pan shows unread messages as read after update.

    On Tue, 07 Oct 2008 01:21:55 +0000, JTJersey wrote:

    > On Sat, 04 Oct 2008 21:01:15 -0700, Blinky the Shark wrote:
    >
    >> JTJersey wrote:
    >>
    >>> There was an update to Pan Newsreader on September 23rd by my records
    >>> and ever since the update often times, but not always, Pan displays
    >>> new unread posts as being read and older read posts as being unread.
    >>> I tried marking all posts as read in a newsgroup, deleted the posts
    >>> then restarted Pan and downloaded the latest headers and they all
    >>> displayed as being read regardless. Makes it hard to keep track of
    >>> threads. Anyone else experience this?

    >> You might want to upgrade to the stable and fully-featured version you
    >> see noted in my headers.

    > I did a URPMI for Pan/0.14.2.91 with and without the / but nothing was
    > found. If I download the .tar file from rebelbase.com would you
    > recommend uninstalling the version of Pan I have now first or will it
    > update itself to this version?

    I had the same problem with Pan 0.132 in PCLos 2007,but it was also
    happening in thunderbird and Xnews under Windows.Switched from my ISP's
    newsserver to get my feeds from Motzarella and no problems now.I don't
    understand what might be happening here but that's been the case on two
    different boxes here,seems to be server related.

    Dave

    --
    Registered Linux user # 444770

+ Reply to Thread