ut2003 and sound 2008.1 - Mandriva

This is a discussion on ut2003 and sound 2008.1 - Mandriva ; To all, I'm running Unreal Tournament 2003 on 2008.1, when using KDE or Icewm all is well. The next step is to lose the Window manager (and perhaps gain cpu cycles for performance). So I use xinit to start Xorg ...

  1. ut2003 and sound 2008.1

    To all,

    I'm running Unreal Tournament 2003 on 2008.1, when using KDE or Icewm
    all is well.

    The next step is to lose the Window manager (and perhaps gain cpu cycles
    for performance).

    So I use xinit to start Xorg + ut2003 without a window manager. Ut2003
    starts but there is no sound. This is probably pulseaudio related, so
    is there perhaps a way to have alsa running without pulseaudio in between?

  2. Re: ut2003 and sound 2008.1

    nospamgc wrote:
    > To all,
    >
    > I'm running Unreal Tournament 2003 on 2008.1, when using KDE or Icewm
    > all is well.
    >
    > The next step is to lose the Window manager (and perhaps gain cpu cycles
    > for performance).
    >
    > So I use xinit to start Xorg + ut2003 without a window manager. Ut2003
    > starts but there is no sound. This is probably pulseaudio related, so
    > is there perhaps a way to have alsa running without pulseaudio in between?

    Would pasuspender be what you want?

    Cheers!

    jim b.

    --
    UNIX is not user unfriendly; it merely
    expects users to be computer-friendly.

  3. Re: ut2003 and sound 2008.1

    Jim Beard schreef:
    > Would pasuspender be what you want?

    Thanks, Jim that did the trick.

    So this is how Unreal Tournament 2003 started for me, without the need
    of a window manager

    (running 2008.1)
    After you have established that the game runs under your window manager
    it's time to fire up a console from your favourite window manager and
    type sudo init 3
    (you will notice your window manager stops)

    From there
    sudo chmod 777 /dev/dsp

    After that, logged in as the user who installed ut2003
    pasuspender xinit /home/username/ut2003/ut2003

    The game should start now.

    Interesting observation: it seems the firewall on a standard
    installation 2008.1 doesn't permit the network traffic between Ut server
    and clients. So you may have to check your firewall settings to allow
    this traffic.

    Thanks,

    G.C.

+ Reply to Thread