xsane - Mandriva

This is a discussion on xsane - Mandriva ; I have been using xsane across my office network to a remote Brother multi-function machine, from a variety of machines all using different versions of Mandriva from LE2005 to 2008.1. At my home I have a desktop running 2008.1 and ...

+ Reply to Thread
Results 1 to 12 of 12

Thread: xsane

  1. xsane

    I have been using xsane across my office network to a remote Brother
    multi-function machine, from a variety of machines all using different
    versions of Mandriva from LE2005 to 2008.1.

    At my home I have a desktop running 2008.1 and xsane across a tiny network
    to another MFC.

    I recently wanted added an EEE PC901 to the family, currently with 2009.0
    rc2 (currently receiving 240 update packages) and wanted to access the
    scanner of the MFC from it. It certainly accesses the printer O.K. but
    although xsane shows it as one of the devices it will clearly access it as
    its LCD brightens up but that is it. No further action. Running xsane from
    a terminal simply returns an aborted message.

    Now this may all have changed by this evening when I reboot but I doubt it.

    I could do with a suggestion or three.



  2. Re: xsane

    Alan Secker wrote:

    > I have been using xsane across my office network to a remote Brother
    > multi-function machine, from a variety of machines all using different
    > versions of Mandriva from LE2005 to 2008.1.
    >
    > At my home I have a desktop running 2008.1 and xsane across a tiny network
    > to another MFC.
    >
    > I recently wanted added an EEE PC901 to the family, currently with 2009.0
    > rc2 (currently receiving 240 update packages) and wanted to access the
    > scanner of the MFC from it. It certainly accesses the printer O.K. but
    > although xsane shows it as one of the devices it will clearly access it as
    > its LCD brightens up but that is it. No further action. Running xsane from
    > a terminal simply returns an aborted message.
    >
    > Now this may all have changed by this evening when I reboot but I doubt
    > it.
    >
    > I could do with a suggestion or three.
    >

    Xsane may not support it yet. Supported scanners are listed
    at /usr/share/sane/xsane/doc/sane-backends-doc.html. Brother doesn't
    rate a mention at all.

    You will need to install Brother's scanner driver on the EEE. I have an
    MFC240C, and its driver is brscan2, available as an RPM from
    http://solutions.brother.com/linux/s...e_drivers.html.
    Check the list at
    http://solutions.brother.com/linux/s...ers.html#model

    to determine the right one for your MFC. Debian packages are available as
    well. Brother have gone all out to support Linux. Their Support people
    took me step by step through setting up a raw printer queue under CUPS, but
    that works for printing only. As my MFC is directly connected to my Linux
    box,I have never tried to scan over a network.

    If you have already installed the driver, please mention the fact when
    posting your query.

    HTH,

    Doug.
    --
    Intuition is how a woman knows for sure without knowing for certain.
    - W.G.P.


  3. Re: xsane

    Alan Secker wrote:

    > I have been using xsane across my office network to a remote Brother
    > multi-function machine, from a variety of machines all using different
    > versions of Mandriva from LE2005 to 2008.1.
    >
    > At my home I have a desktop running 2008.1 and xsane across a tiny network
    > to another MFC.
    >
    > I recently wanted added an EEE PC901 to the family, currently with 2009.0
    > rc2 (currently receiving 240 update packages) and wanted to access the
    > scanner of the MFC from it. It certainly accesses the printer O.K. but
    > although xsane shows it as one of the devices it will clearly access it as
    > its LCD brightens up but that is it. No further action. Running xsane from
    > a terminal simply returns an aborted message.
    >
    > Now this may all have changed by this evening when I reboot but I doubt
    > it.
    >
    > I could do with a suggestion or three.


    Hi Doug

    As I mentioned, I am already using the Brother network scanner driver (The
    brscan2) on my desktop, for my MFC-845CW. Naturally I also installed it on
    the EEE but despite the frequent updates to the rc2 distribution, it still
    doesn't work. I think I'll uninstall it and try again.

    Regards

    Alan


  4. Re: xsane

    Alan Secker wrote:

    > Alan Secker wrote:
    >
    >> I have been using xsane across my office network to a remote Brother
    >> multi-function machine, from a variety of machines all using different
    >> versions of Mandriva from LE2005 to 2008.1.
    >>
    >> At my home I have a desktop running 2008.1 and xsane across a tiny
    >> network to another MFC.
    >>
    >> I recently wanted added an EEE PC901 to the family, currently with 2009.0
    >> rc2 (currently receiving 240 update packages) and wanted to access the
    >> scanner of the MFC from it. It certainly accesses the printer O.K. but
    >> although xsane shows it as one of the devices it will clearly access it
    >> as its LCD brightens up but that is it. No further action. Running xsane
    >> from a terminal simply returns an aborted message.
    >>
    >> Now this may all have changed by this evening when I reboot but I doubt
    >> it.
    >>
    >> I could do with a suggestion or three.

    >
    > Hi Doug
    >
    > As I mentioned, I am already using the Brother network scanner driver (The
    > brscan2) on my desktop, for my MFC-845CW. Naturally I also installed it on
    > the EEE but despite the frequent updates to the rc2 distribution, it still
    > doesn't work. I think I'll uninstall it and try again.
    >
    > Regards
    >
    > Alan

    It sounds as though it is a question for Brother, not a Mandriva issue. The
    brscan2 takes the place of your Xsane driver. Any changes to rc2 won't
    make any difference that I can see. I am using an MFC240C, which is quite
    dated, and I have no trouble at all. i would suggest that it is time to
    contact Brother Support. There is a link on their Home Page, but all
    support requests from here go to Japan. The address I used was
    linux-support@brother.co.jp . They may ask you for some log files, but they
    will tell you how to copy them.

    I suppose that I should have remembered that you had brscan2, but it is
    useful with each new query to mention your setup again. The hi-tech
    support regulars here won't remember. For example, things I can't remember
    are:

    (a) will the scanner work over any network link? Or is the problem only
    with the EEE?
    (b) will it work connected by USB? May sound basic, but if it has problems
    on a direct connection, the place to start looking is rather different.

    This link may help. I haven't read it:
    http://www.linux.com/feature/57798

    HTH,

    Doug.
    --
    Husbands are like the fire on the hearth - likely to go out if left
    unattended.
    - W.G.P.


  5. Re: xsane

    Doug Laidlaw wrote:

    > Alan Secker wrote:
    >
    >> Alan Secker wrote:
    >>
    >>> I have been using xsane across my office network to a remote Brother
    >>> multi-function machine, from a variety of machines all using different
    >>> versions of Mandriva from LE2005 to 2008.1.
    >>>
    >>> At my home I have a desktop running 2008.1 and xsane across a tiny
    >>> network to another MFC.
    >>>
    >>> I recently wanted added an EEE PC901 to the family, currently with
    >>> 2009.0 rc2 (currently receiving 240 update packages) and wanted to
    >>> access the scanner of the MFC from it. It certainly accesses the printer
    >>> O.K. but although xsane shows it as one of the devices it will clearly
    >>> access it as its LCD brightens up but that is it. No further action.
    >>> Running xsane from a terminal simply returns an aborted message.
    >>>
    >>> Now this may all have changed by this evening when I reboot but I doubt
    >>> it.
    >>>
    >>> I could do with a suggestion or three.

    >>
    >> Hi Doug
    >>
    >> As I mentioned, I am already using the Brother network scanner driver
    >> (The brscan2) on my desktop, for my MFC-845CW. Naturally I also installed
    >> it on the EEE but despite the frequent updates to the rc2 distribution,
    >> it still doesn't work. I think I'll uninstall it and try again.
    >>
    >> Regards
    >>
    >> Alan

    > It sounds as though it is a question for Brother, not a Mandriva issue.
    > The
    > brscan2 takes the place of your Xsane driver. Any changes to rc2 won't
    > make any difference that I can see. I am using an MFC240C, which is quite
    > dated, and I have no trouble at all. i would suggest that it is time to
    > contact Brother Support. There is a link on their Home Page, but all
    > support requests from here go to Japan. The address I used was
    > linux-support@brother.co.jp . They may ask you for some log files, but
    > they will tell you how to copy them.
    >
    > I suppose that I should have remembered that you had brscan2, but it is
    > useful with each new query to mention your setup again. The hi-tech
    > support regulars here won't remember. For example, things I can't
    > remember are:
    >
    > (a) will the scanner work over any network link? Or is the problem only
    > with the EEE?
    > (b) will it work connected by USB? May sound basic, but if it has
    > problems on a direct connection, the place to start looking is rather
    > different.
    >
    > This link may help. I haven't read it:
    > http://www.linux.com/feature/57798
    >
    > HTH,
    >
    > Doug.


    The EEE (the problem platform) is running in tandem from a common router
    with my desktop. Both use the same Brother drivers an proprietary Brother
    network driver but the desktop can run scanner the EEE cannot.

    Oddly though, both print via CUPS but while the EEE does what its told, the
    desktop running 2008.1 spews out everything or rather parts of everything
    in landscape. CUPS shows three entries fro the MFC-845CW. Switching from
    one to another works for a bit and then it goes berserk again.

    Ain't life grand?

    I'm really sorry I will not be able to meet you in November. I could have
    brought the EEE with me and given you a really boring evening

    Oh! I have taken your advice and written to Brother.

    All the best

    Alan



  6. Re: xsane

    Brother support replied very quickly with a host of requested tests
    to which I have now replied.

    However, while conducting therm I found that I could run the scanner
    as 'root'.

    From Googling, this appears to be a regular problem although I could find no
    instances of it from users operating over the ethernet, nor running
    Mandriva.

    It is obviously a permissions issue but finding out what needs elevated
    permissions has so far got me beat.

    I feel confifent that Brother will put their finger on it.

    Regards

    Alan



  7. Re: xsane

    On Wed, 08 Oct 2008 10:13:44 +0100, Alan Secker wrote:

    > However, while conducting therm I found that I could run the scanner as
    > 'root'.
    >
    > From Googling, this appears to be a regular problem although I could
    > find no instances of it from users operating over the ethernet, nor
    > running Mandriva.
    >
    > It is obviously a permissions issue but finding out what needs elevated
    > permissions has so far got me beat.


    Check out the membership of the "scanner" group. Fixing that has worked
    for me on several different distros.

  8. Re: xsane

    Mark Madsen wrote:

    > On Wed, 08 Oct 2008 10:13:44 +0100, Alan Secker wrote:
    >
    >> However, while conducting therm I found that I could run the scanner as
    >> 'root'.
    >>
    >> From Googling, this appears to be a regular problem although I could
    >> find no instances of it from users operating over the ethernet, nor
    >> running Mandriva.
    >>
    >> It is obviously a permissions issue but finding out what needs elevated
    >> permissions has so far got me beat.

    >
    > Check out the membership of the "scanner" group. Fixing that has worked
    > for me on several different distros.


    This may sound naive but apart from the user settings, I cannot see from
    where I can get a list of groups. No scanner group turns up there(?)




  9. Re: xsane

    Alan Secker wrote:
    > Mark Madsen wrote:
    >
    >> On Wed, 08 Oct 2008 10:13:44 +0100, Alan Secker wrote:
    >>
    >>> However, while conducting therm I found that I could run the scanner as
    >>> 'root'.
    >>>
    >>> From Googling, this appears to be a regular problem although I could
    >>> find no instances of it from users operating over the ethernet, nor
    >>> running Mandriva.
    >>>
    >>> It is obviously a permissions issue but finding out what needs elevated
    >>> permissions has so far got me beat.

    >> Check out the membership of the "scanner" group. Fixing that has worked
    >> for me on several different distros.

    >
    > This may sound naive but apart from the user settings, I cannot see from
    > where I can get a list of groups. No scanner group turns up there(?)


    Try /etc/group or /etc/passwd.

    Cheers!

    jim b.


    --
    UNIX is not user unfriendly; it merely
    expects users to be computer-friendly.

  10. Re: xsane

    Jim Beard wrote:

    > Alan Secker wrote:
    >> Mark Madsen wrote:
    >>
    >>> On Wed, 08 Oct 2008 10:13:44 +0100, Alan Secker wrote:
    >>>
    >>>> However, while conducting therm I found that I could run the scanner as
    >>>> 'root'.
    >>>>
    >>>> From Googling, this appears to be a regular problem although I could
    >>>> find no instances of it from users operating over the ethernet, nor
    >>>> running Mandriva.
    >>>>
    >>>> It is obviously a permissions issue but finding out what needs elevated
    >>>> permissions has so far got me beat.
    >>> Check out the membership of the "scanner" group. Fixing that has worked
    >>> for me on several different distros.

    >>
    >> This may sound naive but apart from the user settings, I cannot see from
    >> where I can get a list of groups. No scanner group turns up there(?)

    >
    > Try /etc/group or /etc/passwd.
    >
    > Cheers!
    >
    > jim b.
    >
    >

    No 'scanner' on either!

    Alan


  11. Re: xsane

    Alan Secker writes:

    >Jim Beard wrote:


    >> Alan Secker wrote:
    >>> Mark Madsen wrote:
    >>>
    >>>> On Wed, 08 Oct 2008 10:13:44 +0100, Alan Secker wrote:
    >>>>
    >>>>> However, while conducting therm I found that I could run the scanner as
    >>>>> 'root'.
    >>>>>
    >>>>> From Googling, this appears to be a regular problem although I could
    >>>>> find no instances of it from users operating over the ethernet, nor
    >>>>> running Mandriva.
    >>>>>
    >>>>> It is obviously a permissions issue but finding out what needs elevated
    >>>>> permissions has so far got me beat.
    >>>> Check out the membership of the "scanner" group. Fixing that has worked
    >>>> for me on several different distros.
    >>>
    >>> This may sound naive but apart from the user settings, I cannot see from
    >>> where I can get a list of groups. No scanner group turns up there(?)

    >>
    >> Try /etc/group or /etc/passwd.
    >>
    >> Cheers!
    >>
    >> jim b.
    >>
    >>

    >No 'scanner' on either!


    >Alan


    ls -lga /usr/bin/xsane
    look at the group ownership of that file. That is the "scanner group"
    (on mine it is "root")


  12. Re: xsane

    On Fri, 10 Oct 2008 08:40:18 -0400, Alan Secker wrote:

    > No 'scanner' on either!


    I do have a group called saned, however looking at the device for my scanner
    it has ...
    # ls -l /dev/bus/usb/001/007
    crw-rw---- 1 dave root 189, 6 2008-10-10 14:08 /dev/bus/usb/001/007

    So udev has assigned ownership of the device to the first logged on user.
    Might not hurt to add users to the group root.

    Btw, I figured out which device to check by running xsane, and then ...
    # lsof -n|grep sane|grep /dev

    Regards, Dave Hodgins

    --
    Change nomail.afraid.org to ody.ca to reply by email.
    (nomail.afraid.org has been set up specifically for
    use in usenet. Feel free to use it yourself.)

+ Reply to Thread