kde update - Mandriva

This is a discussion on kde update - Mandriva ; mandriva found new updates to install so I went ahead and did them..lol.. I can't remember the exact names of them but I'm pretty sure they were for kde3.5 (or perhaps not)...any ways...I reboot the comp.. now the Login has ...

  1. kde update

    mandriva found new updates to install so I went ahead and did them..lol.. I
    can't remember the exact names of them but I'm pretty sure they were for
    kde3.5 (or perhaps not)...any ways...I reboot the comp.. now the Login has
    entries for every user and group on my comp.. and the keyboard won't work
    to type in password. After refreshing the X-server a hundred times finally
    I type in the password...and it boots me right back to the login
    screen..and of course the keyboard doesn't work. okay, start in safe
    mode...type in "startx" and voila..."could not start kstartupconfig. check
    your installation"... back to safe mode... go to urpmi kdebase to see what
    i'm missing... and am asked to update my media..which didn't do anything...
    if anyone has any ideas of where to start I'd appreciate it..the wife would
    like me back on my own computer..lol..thanks for any and all

  2. Re: kde update

    CynthiaLynn wrote:
    > mandriva found new updates to install so I went ahead and did them..lol.. I
    > can't remember the exact names of them but I'm pretty sure they were for
    > kde3.5 (or perhaps not)...any ways...I reboot the comp.. now the Login has
    > entries for every user and group on my comp.. and the keyboard won't work
    > to type in password. After refreshing the X-server a hundred times finally
    > I type in the password...and it boots me right back to the login
    > screen..and of course the keyboard doesn't work. okay, start in safe
    > mode...type in "startx" and voila..."could not start kstartupconfig. check
    > your installation"... back to safe mode... go to urpmi kdebase to see what
    > i'm missing... and am asked to update my media..which didn't do anything...
    > if anyone has any ideas of where to start I'd appreciate it..the wife would
    > like me back on my own computer..lol..thanks for any and all

    Check the permissions on your home folder. Could not start kstartupconfig is
    usually a permissions problem. If something filewise got really borked, you
    can restore a backup by using a Mandriva live-cd. Go to mcc and then
    backups, just be sure to tell it exactly where your backup files are located
    and what drive they are to restore.

    Good Luck,
    Thai

  3. Re: kde update

    "Thai C. Stacy" wrote in message
    news:48e514ed$0$583$c5fe31e7@reader.usenet4all.se. ..
    > CynthiaLynn wrote:
    >> mandriva found new updates to install so I went ahead and did them..lol..
    >> can't remember the exact names of them but I'm pretty sure they were for
    >> kde3.5 (or perhaps not)...any ways...I reboot the comp.. now the Login
    >> has
    >> entries for every user and group on my comp.. and the keyboard won't work
    >> to type in password. After refreshing the X-server a hundred times
    >> finally
    >> I type in the password...and it boots me right back to the login
    >> screen..and of course the keyboard doesn't work. okay, start in safe
    >> mode...type in "startx" and voila..."could not start kstartupconfig.
    >> check
    >> your installation"... back to safe mode... go to urpmi kdebase to see
    >> what
    >> i'm missing... and am asked to update my media..which didn't do
    >> anything... if anyone has any ideas of where to start I'd appreciate
    >> it..the wife would
    >> like me back on my own computer..lol..thanks for any and all

    > Check the permissions on your home folder. Could not start kstartupconfig
    > is usually a permissions problem. If something filewise got really borked,
    > you can restore a backup by using a Mandriva live-cd. Go to mcc and then
    > backups, just be sure to tell it exactly where your backup files are
    > located and what drive they are to restore.
    >

    > Good Luck,
    > Thai

    good suggestions from Thai. Also check to see if /home is full.

  4. Re: kde update

    CynthiaLynn wrote:

    > mandriva found new updates to install so I went ahead and did them..lol..
    > I can't remember the exact names of them but I'm pretty sure they were for
    > kde3.5 (or perhaps not)...any ways...I reboot the comp.. now the Login has
    > entries for every user and group on my comp.. and the keyboard won't work
    > to type in password. After refreshing the X-server a hundred times finally
    > I type in the password...and it boots me right back to the login
    > screen..and of course the keyboard doesn't work. okay, start in safe
    > mode...type in "startx" and voila..."could not start kstartupconfig. check
    > your installation"... back to safe mode... go to urpmi kdebase to see what
    > i'm missing... and am asked to update my media..which didn't do
    > anything... if anyone has any ideas of where to start I'd appreciate
    > it..the wife would like me back on my own computer..lol..thanks for any
    > and all

    Try as root:

    # urpmi task-kde mandriva-kdm-config kdebase-kdm gdm-themes gdm
    # service dm restart

+ Reply to Thread