UPS monitoring (knutclient) - Mandriva

This is a discussion on UPS monitoring (knutclient) - Mandriva ; I finally got the monitoring of my USP status working in Linux (why it's not easy to setup like in Windows I don't know). Anyway, the knutclient says that the UPS has a "run time" of 2 minutes and it's ...

  1. UPS monitoring (knutclient)

    I finally got the monitoring of my USP status working in Linux (why it's
    not easy to setup like in Windows I don't know).

    Anyway, the knutclient says that the UPS has a "run time" of 2 minutes
    and it's a read-only variable.

    How can that be hard coded 2 minutes to shutdown, when when in Windows
    and there's a power cut, the same system will stayed powered for over 50
    minutes before it starts to warn about saving documents and shutting down?

  2. Re: UPS monitoring (knutclient)

    Ar wrote:
    > I finally got the monitoring of my USP status working in Linux (why it's
    > not easy to setup like in Windows I don't know).
    >
    > Anyway, the knutclient says that the UPS has a "run time" of 2 minutes
    > and it's a read-only variable.
    >
    > How can that be hard coded 2 minutes to shutdown, when when in Windows
    > and there's a power cut, the same system will stayed powered for over 50
    > minutes before it starts to warn about saving documents and shutting down?

    This is the wrong place to ask, go to the nut site, join the mailing
    list, and ask there.

    That said, have a look at the nut configuration files on your system and
    documentation on the nut site. My guess is that knutclient is the
    issue, not nut itself. There is a nut supplied program (whose name
    escapes me at the minute) which will read out the data from your UPS,
    and the odds are very high that will show a different value than what
    knutclient is showing you.

    Regards,

    David Mathog

  3. Re: UPS monitoring (knutclient)

    On Thu, 02 Oct 2008 08:30:49 +0000, Ar wrote:

    > I finally got the monitoring of my USP status working in Linux (why it's
    > not easy to setup like in Windows I don't know).
    >
    > Anyway, the knutclient says that the UPS has a "run time" of 2 minutes
    > and it's a read-only variable.
    >
    > How can that be hard coded 2 minutes to shutdown, when when in Windows
    > and there's a power cut, the same system will stayed powered for over 50
    > minutes before it starts to warn about saving documents and shutting
    > down?

    I don't know how a UPS can determine runtime. Mine doesn't even list it. I
    suppose they can calculate the wattage draw and calculate the time using a
    fully charged battery of the type the UPS normally has installed, but that
    doesn't take into account a weak or different battery. For instance, I
    replaced the normal 7AH battery in mine with an external 17AH battery on
    one ups and on another I replaced the two 4AH batteries with two 9AH
    batteries. This more than doubles the backup time of each UPS. That said,
    mine doesn't even report an estimated runtime, only the condition of the
    battery with other info. The program is upsc (man upsc).

    [wes@wes2 ~]$ upsc myups
    battery.charge: 100
    battery.temperature: 041
    battery.voltage: 13.7