problem accessing Cds through console... - Mandriva

This is a discussion on problem accessing Cds through console... - Mandriva ; Hi , I have problems accessing Cds through a console...what I want to do is copy the audio files present on the Cd to a directory in Documents...no music but language lessons...( Audio anyway...) They are not easy to find ...

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 22

  1. problem accessing Cds through console...

    Hi ,
    I have problems accessing Cds through a console...what I want to do is copy
    the audio files present on the Cd to a directory in Documents...no music
    but language lessons...( Audio anyway...)
    They are not easy to find so I wanted to make a copy in case the cd gets
    damage
    ....( hope is legal , I do not know...)
    The Cd is around 600 MB not so big but for some reason with KDE it takes
    ages! the speed is of a few hundreds kilobytes, the files
    are .wav .ogg .cda... so I thought of copying them using the command line
    but there is no way I can "see" the content of the cd...
    the line in fstab is given below...

    /dev/cdrom /media/cdrom auto umask=0022,users,iocharset=utf8,noauto,ro,exec
    0 0

    I am using the command mount but even as root it tells me that I have to
    specify the file system...
    Do not know if it is correct ... I typed :

    [root@localhost santo]# mount -t iso9660 /dev/cdrom /media/cdrom
    mount: block device /dev/hdc is write-protected, mounting read-only
    mount: wrong fs type, bad option, bad superblock on /dev/hdc,
    missing codepage or other error
    dmesg | tail or so

    and then

    [root@localhost santo]# dmesg | tail
    hdc: command error: status=0x51 { DriveReady SeekComplete Error }
    hdc: command error: error=0x54 { AbortedCommand LastFailedSense=0x05 }
    ide: failed opcode was: unknown
    ATAPI device hdc:
    Error: Illegal request -- (Sense key=0x05)
    Illegal mode for this track or incompatible medium -- (asc=0x64,
    ascq=0x00)
    The failed "Read 10" packet command was:
    "28 00 00 00 00 10 00 00 01 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 "
    end_request: I/O error, dev hdc, sector 64
    isofs_fill_super: bread failed, dev=hdc, iso_blknum=16, block=16

    what am I doing wrong?...or am I trying to do something impossible?
    Thanks
    santo

  2. Re: problem accessing Cds through console...

    santo wrote:

    > Hi ,
    > I have problems accessing Cds through a console...what I want to do is
    > copy
    > the audio files present on the Cd to a directory in Documents...no music
    > but language lessons...( Audio anyway...)
    > They are not easy to find so I wanted to make a copy in case the cd gets
    > damage
    > ...( hope is legal , I do not know...)
    > The Cd is around 600 MB not so big but for some reason with KDE it takes
    > ages! the speed is of a few hundreds kilobytes, the files
    > are .wav .ogg .cda... so I thought of copying them using the command line
    > but there is no way I can "see" the content of the cd...
    > the line in fstab is given below...
    >

    > /dev/cdrom /media/cdrom auto
    > umask=0022,users,iocharset=utf8,noauto,ro,exec 0 0
    >
    > I am using the command mount but even as root it tells me that I have to
    > specify the file system...
    > Do not know if it is correct ... I typed :
    >
    > [root@localhost santo]# mount -t iso9660 /dev/cdrom /media/cdrom
    > mount: block device /dev/hdc is write-protected, mounting read-only
    > mount: wrong fs type, bad option, bad superblock on /dev/hdc,
    > missing codepage or other error
    > In some cases useful info is found in syslog - try
    > dmesg | tail or so
    >
    > and then
    >
    > [root@localhost santo]# dmesg | tail
    > hdc: command error: status=0x51 { DriveReady SeekComplete Error }
    > hdc: command error: error=0x54 { AbortedCommand LastFailedSense=0x05 }
    > ide: failed opcode was: unknown
    > ATAPI device hdc:
    > Error: Illegal request -- (Sense key=0x05)
    > Illegal mode for this track or incompatible medium -- (asc=0x64,
    > ascq=0x00)
    > The failed "Read 10" packet command was:
    > "28 00 00 00 00 10 00 00 01 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 "
    > end_request: I/O error, dev hdc, sector 64
    > isofs_fill_super: bread failed, dev=hdc, iso_blknum=16, block=16
    >
    > what am I doing wrong?...or am I trying to do something impossible?
    > Thanks
    > santo

    In my experience, audio CDs are different from data CDs (filesystem ISO9660
    from memory.)

    What you are trying to do is ripping without a GUI. The Linux Cookbook,
    which has only grudging references to X, recommends cdda2wav or cdparanoia.
    I know that cdparanoia is in the repositories. According to the book (2nd
    ed. page 481,) you simply type cdparanoia 1-3, or whatever tracks you want.
    There are switches available, but I am writing this entirely without any
    first-hand experience.

    HTH,

    Doug.
    --
    If you want to make peace, you don't talk to your friends. You talk to your
    enemies.

  3. Re: problem accessing Cds through console...

    Doug Laidlaw wrote:

    > In my experience, audio CDs are different from data CDs (filesystem
    > ISO9660 from memory.)
    >
    > What you are trying to do is ripping without a GUI.

    I can play the audio files, but I can't make copies...
    K3b does not "see" the CD so i could not rip them and neither could
    I 'see"it with a console, just wondering why...I could drag the files and
    copy them but it was sooo slow! ( eventually this is what I did...)

    No, my question was WHY I can not access the content of the Cd using the
    console; I always receive the message
    "you must specify the file system"...or no message at all when using the
    mount command wether the one I reported in the original posting or
    mount /dev/cdrom /media/cdrom
    mount /media/cdrom

    and so on...

    thanks for the tip on cdparanoia. I Installed and will try to learn to use
    it...

    thanks, santo

  4. Re: problem accessing Cds through console...

    On Fri, 03 Oct 2008 11:34:07 +0530, santo wrote:

    > No, my question was WHY I can not access the content of the Cd using the
    > console; I always receive the message
    > "you must specify the file system"...or no message at all when using the

    As I misunderstand it, audio cds do not have a "File system" as mount
    understands it.

    Any time you go to mount media by command line, you might try adding
    -t auto before the device argument.

  5. Re: problem accessing Cds through console...

    Bit Twister wrote:

    > On Fri, 03 Oct 2008 11:34:07 +0530, santo wrote:
    >>
    >> No, my question was WHY I can not access the content of the Cd using the
    >> console; I always receive the message
    >> "you must specify the file system"...or no message at all when using the

    > As I misunderstand it, audio cds do not have a "File system" as mount
    > understands it.

    OK, I should have known this...

    > Any time you go to mount media by command line, you might try adding
    > -t auto before the device argument.

    I did it before, anyway here is the result:

    [root@localhost santo]# mount -t auto /dev/cdrom /media/cdrom
    mount: you must specify the filesystem type

    I was just wondering if it is anyway possible to "see" audio files in a
    console...to be more clear...

    If YOU insert an audio CD, can you "see" the files once you run the command

    ls -l /media/cdrom ...?

    santo

  6. Re: problem accessing Cds through console...

    On Fri, 03 Oct 2008 16:19:50 +0530, santo wrote:

    > If YOU insert an audio CD, can you "see" the files once you run the command
    >
    > ls -l /media/cdrom ...?

    No. With ksCD playing track 12 on a 17 track audio cd, I have

    $ ls -l /media/cdrom
    total 0
    $ mount | grep cd

  7. Re: problem accessing Cds through console...

    Bit Twister wrote:

    > On Fri, 03 Oct 2008 16:19:50 +0530, santo wrote:
    >>
    >> If YOU insert an audio CD, can you "see" the files once you run the
    >> command
    >>
    >> ls -l /media/cdrom ...?

    > No. With ksCD playing track 12 on a 17 track audio cd, I have
    >
    > $ ls -l /media/cdrom
    > total 0
    > $ mount | grep cd

    same here...I can play them but...

    OK, please remember that I started this post because I wanted to copy the
    audio files using a console, and not dragging them in a directory in a
    GUI...and my question is still the same, is there a way to see the content
    of an audio cd using a console...I do not seem to be capable,...

    Now, I have an audio cd in the drive, not playing them...

    [santo@localhost ~]$ cd /media/cdrom
    [santo@localhost cdrom]$ ls
    [santo@localhost cdrom]$

    ....why I do not see the list of the audio files?

    santo

  8. Re: problem accessing Cds through console...

    On Fri, 03 Oct 2008 18:30:57 +0530, santo wrote:

    > Now, I have an audio cd in the drive, not playing them...
    >
    > [santo@localhost ~]$ cd /media/cdrom
    > [santo@localhost cdrom]$ ls
    > [santo@localhost cdrom]$
    >
    > ...why I do not see the list of the audio files?

    There is no filesystem on an audio CD, hence no way to see files. An
    audio CD is a very primitive object.

  9. Re: problem accessing Cds through console...

    On Fri, 03 Oct 2008 18:30:57 +0530, santo wrote:

    > [santo@localhost ~]$ cd /media/cdrom
    > [santo@localhost cdrom]$ ls
    > [santo@localhost cdrom]$
    >
    > ...why I do not see the list of the audio files?

    /media/cdrom is a directory.

    Are there any files there? NO. There are not supposed to be any files
    there because normally /media/cdrom is used as a mount point for a
    file system.

    Once you "mount" a device at the mount point, you would be able to
    use the file system commands, ls, mv, cp, rm,......

    Until you can "mount" the device with a "file system" linux understands,
    you can not use file system commands to manage the files on the device.

    While waiting for someone else to jump, may I suggest
    http://groups.google.com/advanced_search
    in the first box something like copy audio files linux cd
    which might return something like
    Results 1 - 10 of about 4,100 for copy audio files linux cd

  10. Re: problem accessing Cds through console...

    On Fri, 03 Oct 2008 09:00:57 -0400, santo wrote:

    > OK, please remember that I started this post because I wanted to copy the
    > audio files using a console, and not dragging them in a directory in a
    > GUI...and my question is still the same, is there a way to see the content
    > of an audio cd using a console...I do not seem to be capable,...

    $ cdparanoia -Q
    cdparanoia III release 9.8 (March 23, 2001)
    (C) 2001 Monty and Xiphophorus
    Report bugs to paranoia@xiph.org
    http://www.xiph.org/paranoia/
    Table of contents (audio tracks only):
    track length begin copy pre ch
    1. 39160 [08:42.10] 0 [00:00.00] no no 2

    16. 16992 [03:46.42] 309740 [68:49.65] no no 2
    TOTAL 326732 [72:36.32] (audio only)

    $ cdparanoia -w -B
    cdparanoia III release 9.8 (March 23, 2001)
    (C) 2001 Monty and Xiphophorus
    Report bugs to paranoia@xiph.org
    http://www.xiph.org/paranoia/
    Ripping from sector 0 (track 1 [0:00.00])
    to sector 326731 (track 16 [3:46.41])
    outputting to track01.cdda.wav

    Regards, Dave Hodgins

  11. Re: problem accessing Cds through console...

    Mark Madsen wrote:

    > On Fri, 03 Oct 2008 18:30:57 +0530, santo wrote:
    >
    >> Now, I have an audio cd in the drive, not playing them...
    >>
    >> [santo@localhost ~]$ cd /media/cdrom
    >> [santo@localhost cdrom]$ ls
    >> [santo@localhost cdrom]$
    >>
    >> ...why I do not see the list of the audio files?

    > There is no filesystem on an audio CD, hence no way to see files. An
    > audio CD is a very primitive object.

    Thanks, now it is clear...
    I thought that it worked the same way as for data files...I always use GUI
    rarely CLI, that is why I never really noticed that that was not
    possible...
    Thanks ,
    santo

  12. Re: problem accessing Cds through console...

    On Fri, 03 Oct 2008 13:34:26 -0400, santo wrote:

    > I thought that it worked the same way as for data files...I always use GUI
    > rarely CLI, that is why I never really noticed that that was not
    > possible...

    Also check out the abcde rpm package/command.

    Regards, Dave Hodgins

  13. Re: problem accessing Cds through console...

    Bit Twister wrote:

    > On Fri, 03 Oct 2008 18:30:57 +0530, santo wrote:
    >
    >> [santo@localhost ~]$ cd /media/cdrom
    >> [santo@localhost cdrom]$ ls
    >> [santo@localhost cdrom]$
    >>
    >> ...why I do not see the list of the audio files?

    > /media/cdrom is a directory.
    >
    > Are there any files there? NO. There are not supposed to be any files
    > there because normally /media/cdrom is used as a mount point for a
    > file system.

    > Once you "mount" a device at the mount point, you would be able to
    > use the file system commands, ls, mv, cp, rm,......

    > Until you can "mount" the device with a "file system" linux understands,
    > you can not use file system commands to manage the files on the device.

    In "theory" I know that,...the problem was that "in practice" I was
    expecting to see data files AND the audio files as well. In the back of my
    mind, due to "ignorance", I thought they behave the same way.

    Mark gave me the answer I was looking for.

    > While waiting for someone else to jump, may I suggest
    > http://groups.google.com/advanced_search
    > in the first box something like copy audio files linux cd
    > which might return something like
    > Results 1 - 10 of about 4,100 for copy audio files linux cd

    I did...

    Google Advanced search only told me "how" to copy files, not "why" I could
    not see them...

    Sorry to make you jump...and thanks for your answer and explanations...
    santo

  14. Re: problem accessing Cds through console...

    David W. Hodgins wrote:

    > On Fri, 03 Oct 2008 09:00:57 -0400, santo wrote:
    >
    >> OK, please remember that I started this post because I wanted to copy the
    >> audio files using a console, and not dragging them in a directory in a
    >> GUI...and my question is still the same, is there a way to see the
    >> content of an audio cd using a console...I do not seem to be capable,...

    > $ cdparanoia -Q
    > cdparanoia III release 9.8 (March 23, 2001)
    > (C) 2001 Monty and Xiphophorus
    > Report bugs to paranoia@xiph.org
    > http://www.xiph.org/paranoia/
    > Table of contents (audio tracks only):
    > track length begin copy pre ch
    > ================================================== =========
    > 1. 39160 [08:42.10] 0 [00:00.00] no no 2
    >
    > 16. 16992 [03:46.42] 309740 [68:49.65] no no 2
    > TOTAL 326732 [72:36.32] (audio only)
    >
    > $ cdparanoia -w -B
    > cdparanoia III release 9.8 (March 23, 2001)
    > (C) 2001 Monty and Xiphophorus
    > Report bugs to paranoia@xiph.org
    > http://www.xiph.org/paranoia/
    > Ripping from sector 0 (track 1 [0:00.00])
    > to sector 326731 (track 16 [3:46.41])
    > outputting to track01.cdda.wav
    >

    > Regards, Dave Hodgins

    Thanks, I'll give it a try...
    santo

  15. Re: problem accessing Cds through console...

    santo wrote:

    > David W. Hodgins wrote:

    >> $ cdparanoia -w -B
    >> cdparanoia III release 9.8 (March 23, 2001)
    >> (C) 2001 Monty and Xiphophorus
    >> Report bugs to paranoia@xiph.org
    >> http://www.xiph.org/paranoia/
    >> Ripping from sector 0 (track 1 [0:00.00])
    >> to sector 326731 (track 16 [3:46.41])
    >> outputting to track01.cdda.wav
    >>

    >> Regards, Dave Hodgins
    >>

    > Thanks, I'll give it a try...
    > santo

    Just to comment your initial "ogg, wav, whatever..." you saw in konqueror:
    konqueror does (when the necessary codecs are installed) display
    - the *.cda "files" - just placeholders, only 1 kB in sice, for every track
    - the *.wav converted entries - not yet converted, but when you copy such a
    wav entry, konqueror or a kioslave will actually begin to rip the track and
    save the file. Therefore, it isn't as quick as a simple copy
    - same goes for *.ogg or *mp3 links - accessing/copying them initiates the
    ripping and conversion process, so you have to take your time.

    Depending upon the quality of the cd and the cd drive, you may be able to
    rip with 2x .... 8x speed, so a 3.5 MB music track will take at least
    around 20 seconds up to 90 sec.

  16. Re: problem accessing Cds through console...

    wisdomkiller & pain wrote:

    > Just to comment your initial "ogg, wav, whatever..." you saw in konqueror:
    > konqueror does (when the necessary codecs are installed) display
    > - the *.cda "files" - just placeholders, only 1 kB in sice, for every
    > track - the *.wav converted entries - not yet converted, but when you copy
    > such a wav entry, konqueror or a kioslave will actually begin to rip the
    > track and save the file. Therefore, it isn't as quick as a simple copy
    > - same goes for *.ogg or *mp3 links - accessing/copying them initiates the
    > ripping and conversion process, so you have to take your time.
    >
    > Depending upon the quality of the cd and the cd drive, you may be able to
    > rip with 2x .... 8x speed, so a 3.5 MB music track will take at least
    > around 20 seconds up to 90 sec.

    Wow,...
    this is another piece of info I really needed to understand how things
    work "behind the veil"...
    Thanks,
    santo

  17. Re: problem accessing Cds through console...

    On Sunday 05 October 2008 04:52, someone identifying as *santo* wrote
    in /alt.os.linux.mandriva:/

    > wisdomkiller & pain wrote:
    >
    >> Just to comment your initial "ogg, wav, whatever..." you saw in
    >> konqueror: konqueror does (when the necessary codecs are installed)
    >> display - the *.cda "files" - just placeholders, only 1 kB in sice, for
    >> every track - the *.wav converted entries - not yet converted, but when
    >> you copy such a wav entry, konqueror or a kioslave will actually begin to
    >> rip the track and save the file. Therefore, it isn't as quick as a simple
    >> copy - same goes for *.ogg or *mp3 links - accessing/copying them
    >> initiates the ripping and conversion process, so you have to take your
    >> time.
    >>
    >> Depending upon the quality of the cd and the cd drive, you may be able to
    >> rip with 2x .... 8x speed, so a 3.5 MB music track will take at least
    >> around 20 seconds up to 90 sec.

    > Wow,...
    > this is another piece of info I really needed to understand how things
    > work "behind the veil"...

    It's been around for a long time, though. I've already done that on my
    laptop many years ago, which ran and still runs Mandrake 8.2 PowerPack.

    --
    *Aragorn*
    (registered GNU/Linux user #223157)

  18. Re: problem accessing Cds through console...

    Aragorn wrote:

    > On Sunday 05 October 2008 04:52, someone identifying as *santo* wrote
    > in /alt.os.linux.mandriva:/
    >
    >> wisdomkiller & pain wrote:

    >>> Depending upon the quality of the cd and the cd drive, you may be able
    >>> to rip with 2x .... 8x speed, so a 3.5 MB music track will take at least
    >>> around 20 seconds up to 90 sec.

    >> Wow,...
    >> this is another piece of info I really needed to understand how things
    >> work "behind the veil"...

    > It's been around for a long time, though. I've already done that on my
    > laptop many years ago, which ran and still runs Mandrake 8.2 PowerPack.

    I believe you, but due to my limitations I am forced to learn bit by bit as
    I encounter problems...
    :-(

    santo

  19. Re: problem accessing Cds through console...

    On Sunday 05 October 2008 12:07, someone identifying as *santo* wrote
    in /alt.os.linux.mandriva:/

    > Aragorn wrote:
    >
    >> On Sunday 05 October 2008 04:52, someone identifying as *santo* wrote
    >> in /alt.os.linux.mandriva:/

    >>> Wow,...
    >>> this is another piece of info I really needed to understand how things
    >>> work "behind the veil"...

    >> It's been around for a long time, though. I've already done that on my
    >> laptop many years ago, which ran and still runs Mandrake 8.2 PowerPack.
    >>

    > I believe you, but due to my limitations I am forced to learn bit by bit
    > as I encounter problems...
    > :-(

    Well, look at it this way... With GNU/Linux, you can learn something new
    every day. With Windows, you encounter problems every day, of which you
    can't learn anything due to the obscurity of the system and the fact that
    there's nothing you can do to prevent it from misbehaving the way it
    does. ;-)

    --
    *Aragorn*
    (registered GNU/Linux user #223157)

  20. Re: problem accessing Cds through console...

    Aragorn wrote:

    > On Sunday 05 October 2008 12:07, someone identifying as *santo* wrote
    > in /alt.os.linux.mandriva:/
    >
    >> Aragorn wrote:
    >>
    >>> On Sunday 05 October 2008 04:52, someone identifying as *santo* wrote
    >>> in /alt.os.linux.mandriva:/

    >>> It's been around for a long time, though. I've already done that on my
    >>> laptop many years ago, which ran and still runs Mandrake 8.2 PowerPack.
    >>>

    >> I believe you, but due to my limitations I am forced to learn bit by bit
    >> as I encounter problems...
    >> :-(

    > Well, look at it this way... With GNU/Linux, you can learn something new
    > every day. With Windows, you encounter problems every day, of which you
    > can't learn anything due to the obscurity of the system and the fact that
    > there's nothing you can do to prevent it from misbehaving the way it
    > does. ;-)

    Correctly put...
    in fact it was not a "problem" but my ignorance of the topic which "create"
    the problem...and I am happy to learn something new everyday;only instead
    of bit by bit I wish I could learn megabyte by megabyte ...:-)

    as far as windows is concerned I hardly use it...my life is complicate
    enough...:-)
    santo

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast