Gmail addresses - Mandriva

This is a discussion on Gmail addresses - Mandriva ; Greetings In Mandriva 2008.1 i586 How do I import a list of email addresses received by email into gmail addressbook I tried to copy list that came in .csv onto kwrite and save it, and then tried to import it. ...

  1. Gmail addresses

    Greetings
    In Mandriva 2008.1 i586
    How do I import a list of email addresses received by email into gmail
    addressbook
    I tried to copy list that came in .csv onto kwrite and save it, and then
    tried to import it. It did import 28 items, with no "details" (names and
    addresses).
    Any suggestions will be appreciated
    --
    Rgds.
    Edward

  2. Re: Gmail addresses

    edward wrote:
    > Greetings
    > In Mandriva 2008.1 i586
    > How do I import a list of email addresses received by email into gmail
    > addressbook
    > I tried to copy list that came in .csv onto kwrite and save it, and then
    > tried to import it. It did import 28 items, with no "details" (names and
    > addresses).
    > Any suggestions will be appreciated

    Contact Goggle help?

    jim b.

    --
    UNIX is not user unfriendly; it merely
    expects users to be computer-friendly.

  3. Re: Gmail addresses

    Disclaimer: I haven't done this, I've just looked at gmail & Kontact

    edward wrote:

    > In Mandriva 2008.1 i586
    > How do I import a list of email addresses received by email into gmail
    > addressbook

    'received by email' - does that mean using the kmail kontact contacts or
    does that mean something else? What have you received the email with
    addresses into, kmail? Have you added the addresses of the mail you have
    received into the addressbook?

    You need to have the eml addresses in an addressbook application such as
    kontact's so that you can export them from there as a .csv file, then you
    import that .csv into gmail. When you export them from the
    addressbook/kontacts, the file will be saved as addressbook.csv. You can
    import that file into gmail using its import function.

    > I tried to copy list that came in .csv onto kwrite and save it, and then
    > tried to import it. It did import 28 items, with no "details" (names and
    > addresses).

    I don't know what any part of that par means; neither the 1st nor the 2nd
    sentences. You would have to say it all over again using some other words
    or phrases to help me or perhaps others understand. I can't see any
    reason you would be 'copy list/.csv into kwrite'.

    --
    Mike Easter

  4. Re: Gmail addresses

    On Thu, 02 Oct 2008 01:55:06 +0000, edward wrote:

    > How do I import a list of email addresses received by email into gmail
    > addressbook

    I've just had the same problem. Having exported my contacts from
    KMail's addressbook as addressbook.csv, I then imported it into
    Googlemail.

    All the Google mail 'contacts' lines then show 'Unnamed', but if
    I click on an entry it does show the contact info, but it is all under
    'Notes', rather then in the 'name' and 'email address' boxes.

    If I then edit an entry and move those info's into the right box, it
    all works, but I hope there's a better way than that!

    --
    /\/\aurice
    Linux Mandriva 2.6.22.19-desktop-2mdv 2008.0 PP 32-bit

  5. Re: Gmail addresses

    Maurice Batey wrote:

    > All the Google mail 'contacts' lines then show 'Unnamed', but if
    > I click on an entry it does show the contact info, but it is all under
    > 'Notes', rather then in the 'name' and 'email address' boxes.
    >
    > If I then edit an entry and move those info's into the right box, it
    > all works, but I hope there's a better way than that!

    The optimal (simple) way for an addressbook to hold addresses is based on
    firstname, lastname, emailaddy. Then the addressbook can display as first
    lastname, lastname comma firstname, etc.

    If you haven't entered the addresses in that first-last
    segregation/stipulated way, you aren't going to get the best results.

    Kmail's addressbook allows you to enter a name with: honorific prefixes,
    given name, additional names, family name, honorific suffixes -- way more
    ..cvs slots than you need.

    If necessary, gmail tells you how to edit a .cvs file with the equivalent
    of excel http://mail.google.com/support/bin/a...y?answer=12119
    Creating or editing CSV files - Spreadsheet programs like Microsoft Excel
    make it easy to create and edit CSV files. - Your CSV file should be
    formatted as a table and must include a header, or first line, that
    defines the fields in your table. Gmail accepts many common header fields
    (name, email address, etc.). ... If you'd rather, you can also use
    separate fields for the first, middle, and last names, like this:

    All of my addressbook entries have firstname lastname email.

    --
    Mike Easter

  6. Re: Gmail addresses

    On Thu, 02 Oct 2008 10:42:47 -0700, Mike Easter wrote:

    > Creating or editing CSV files - Spreadsheet programs like Microsoft Excel
    > make it easy to create and edit CSV files. - Your CSV file should be
    > formatted as a table and must include a header, or first line, that
    > defines the fields in your table.

    Thanks for that, Mike. However, looking at the addressbook.csv file
    from KMail (using OpenOffice), I can see no clear way of reducing the
    number of entries to just leave the 3 main fields that GMail looks
    for.
    (There are 147 entries...)

    --
    /\/\aurice

  7. Re: Gmail addresses

    On Fri, 03 Oct 2008 11:20:59 +0100, Maurice Batey wrote:

    > On Thu, 02 Oct 2008 10:42:47 -0700, Mike Easter wrote:
    >
    >> Creating or editing CSV files - Spreadsheet programs like Microsoft
    >> Excel make it easy to create and edit CSV files. - Your CSV file
    >> should be formatted as a table and must include a header, or first
    >> line, that defines the fields in your table.

    > Thanks for that, Mike. However, looking at the addressbook.csv file
    > from KMail (using OpenOffice), I can see no clear way of reducing the
    > number of entries to just leave the 3 main fields that GMail looks for.
    > (There are 147 entries...)

    ISTR that Thunderbird allows one to specify which fields one wants to
    import from a CSV file, so you perhaps could try using Thunderbird as a
    filter?

  8. Re: Gmail addresses

    On Fri, 03 Oct 2008 14:39:34 +0200, Mark Madsen wrote:

    > Perhaps could try using Thunderbird as a filter?

    That's an idea! However, as I'm about to set off for Sicily, I've
    gone through the contacts imported into Google Mail and edited those
    I might need in internet cafes next week to give the relevant info in
    the right boxes.

    --
    /\/\aurice

  9. Re: Gmail addresses

    On Fri, 03 Oct 2008 17:01:17 +0100, Maurice Batey wrote:

    > On Fri, 03 Oct 2008 14:39:34 +0200, Mark Madsen wrote:
    >
    >> Perhaps could try using Thunderbird as a filter?

    > That's an idea! However, as I'm about to set off for Sicily, I've
    > gone through the contacts imported into Google Mail and edited those I
    > might need in internet cafes next week to give the relevant info in the
    > right boxes.

    Sometimes it's quicker to do it manually :-)

    Have a nice time in Sicily. It snowed in Switzerland today, hope it's
    warmer where you're going.

  10. Re: Gmail addresses

    On Fri, 03 Oct 2008 18:25:52 +0200, Mark Madsen wrote:

    > hope it's warmer where you're going.

    Forecast is for around 24oC (10-18 overnight), though not too much
    sun, and a couple of showery days.

    --
    /\/\aurice