Vmware under 2009.0 rc2 - Mandriva

This is a discussion on Vmware under 2009.0 rc2 - Mandriva ; While attempting to compile vmmon with the vmware-configure.pl script, I reached the point where the kernel header files were required. I had already installed both the headers and the full source file, having had difficulties in this area before. It ...

  1. Vmware under 2009.0 rc2

    While attempting to compile vmmon with the vmware-configure.pl script, I
    reached the point where the kernel header files were required. I had
    already installed both the headers and the full source file, having had
    difficulties in this area before.

    It appears convinced that what it had found was not for the running kernel.
    Well if it isn't why isn't it. These are the only kernel source/header
    files on the mirror?

  2. Re: Vmware under 2009.0 rc2

    Alan Secker wrote:

    > already installed both the headers and the full source file, having had
    > difficulties in this area before.
    >
    > It appears convinced that what it had found was not for the running kernel.
    > Well if it isn't why isn't it. These are the only kernel source/header
    > files on the mirror?

    May I take exception to your last sentence, above?

    Load mcc and go to Install/remove software. In the search window
    type devel and hit return. Then scroll through the multitudes of
    packages that will be listed until you get to those that start
    with the word kernel. There should be many, some of different nature
    (Mandriva standard, Linus kernel, mm multimedia, tmd kernel, maybe
    others), some of different version, and some for specific types of
    machine such as desktop/laptop/server. (If you do not see many,
    go to the left of the "find" window and use the drop-downs to change
    both do "all".)

    There is a devel package for each of these.

    There will be a kernel source file for each kernel of different
    nature and version. Whether to compile for a desktop, loptop,
    or server, is specified in the .config file and separate packages
    are not needed for this purpose.

    So, first, you need to ascertain what version your kernel is with
    uname -a

    Then look through the devel packages until you find the one that
    matches your running kernel (version, dektop/laptop/server), type
    (if you have any mm, or tmp, or Linus kernels on the system).
    Exact match required.

    Once you have the devel package for your running kernel installed,
    there is one more possible glitch. Symbolic links. Usually there
    is a symlink /usr/src/linux that should point to the currently
    running kernel. Some packages depend on that being correct. If
    incorrect, you need to delete it, and that will probably suffice as
    a package that needs it will keep looking for what it would point to.
    Or, you can use ln -s /usr/src/whateverthenmeis /usr/src/linux
    to create the symlink.

    You will also likely have symlinks of form
    /lib/modules/kernelpkgname/souce pointing to the corresponding
    source or devel treetop /usr/src/kernelname. If this is
    pointing to the top directory of a full set of source code,
    you have to configure that source code before it will work,
    and the resulting kernel will be named something custom and thus
    be a different kernel from a stock kernel downloaded and installed.

    If needed, change this "source" symlink to point to the top directory
    of the proper set of devel header files.

    Cheers!

    jim b.

    --
    UNIX is not user unfriendly; it merely
    expects users to be computer-friendly.

  3. Re: Vmware under 2009.0 rc2

    Jim Beard wrote:

    > Alan Secker wrote:
    >
    >> already installed both the headers and the full source file, having had
    >> difficulties in this area before.
    >>
    >> It appears convinced that what it had found was not for the running
    >> kernel. Well if it isn't why isn't it. These are the only kernel
    >> source/header files on the mirror?

    > May I take exception to your last sentence, above?

    You may and thank you, I'm glad you did. I would like to understand the
    relationship between these files. It's a bit of a black art to me.

    Incidentally, the vmware script did get past that header file point but
    bombed out a bit later with cryptic error numbers. Looks like I'll have to
    wait for someone more knowledgeable gets to them.

    Regards

    Alan

  4. Re: Vmware under 2009.0 rc2

    Alan Secker wrote:
    > Jim Beard wrote:
    >
    >> Alan Secker wrote:
    >>
    >>> already installed both the headers and the full source file, having had
    >>> difficulties in this area before.
    >>>
    >>> It appears convinced that what it had found was not for the running
    >>> kernel. Well if it isn't why isn't it. These are the only kernel
    >>> source/header files on the mirror?

    >> May I take exception to your last sentence, above?
    >>

    > You may and thank you, I'm glad you did. I would like to understand the
    > relationship between these files. It's a bit of a black art to me.
    >
    > Incidentally, the vmware script did get past that header file point but
    > bombed out a bit later with cryptic error numbers. Looks like I'll have to
    > wait for someone more knowledgeable gets to them.

    I am pleased I helped a little with understanding. Sorry I cannot
    help with VMware. I use VirtualBox, and just learned enough to make
    the thing do what I need done. I need to do some learning myself...

    Cheers!

    jim b.

    --
    UNIX is not user unfriendly; it merely
    expects users to be computer-friendly.

  5. Re: Vmware under 2009.0 rc2

    Alan Secker schreef:
    > While attempting to compile vmmon with the vmware-configure.pl script, I
    > reached the point where the kernel header files were required. I had
    > already installed both the headers and the full source file, having had
    > difficulties in this area before.
    >
    > It appears convinced that what it had found was not for the running kernel.
    > Well if it isn't why isn't it. These are the only kernel source/header
    > files on the mirror?

    Alan,

    I have had the same problem in older versions. Don't know what the cause
    is, but something smaal is wrong that is repaired via the script
    mentioned in the following link (this has helped me in several occasions):
    http://forum.mandriva.com/viewtopic....fbd26b62cb5844

    Peter

    My Version is called mandriva_correct_kernel_source_for_vmware.sh:

    #!/bin/bash
    MYVER=`uname -r`
    [ -n "$1" ] && MYVER="$1"
    MYKDIR="/lib/modules/${MYVER}/build"

    if [ -d "${MYKDIR}" ]
    then
    cd "${MYKDIR}"
    cp -f "/boot/config-${MYVER}" .config

    #perl -pi -e 's/mdkcustom/mdk/g' Makefile
    MYKVER=`grep VERSION "${MYKDIR}/Makefile" | head -1 | cut -f2- -d'='|
    sed 's/ //g'`
    MYKPL=`grep PATCHLEVEL "${MYKDIR}/Makefile" | head -1 | cut -f2- -d'='|
    sed 's/ //g'`
    MYKSL=`grep SUBLEVEL "${MYKDIR}/Makefile" | head -1 | cut -f2- -d'='|
    sed 's/ //g'`
    EXTRAVER=`echo ${MYVER} | sed "s/${MYKVER}\.${MYKPL}\.${MYKSL}//g"`
    perl -pi -e "s/^EXTRAVERSION.+\$/EXTRAVERSION = ${EXTRAVER}/"
    "${MYKDIR}/Makefile"
    make mrproper
    make oldconfig
    make include/linux/version.h
    make include/asm
    make scripts
    make prepare
    else
    echo "Unable to find Kernel sources in /lib/modules/${MYVER}/build/"
    fi
    exit 0

  6. Re: Vmware under 2009.0 rc2

    Thanks. I'll try it as soon as ..