Asus Motherboard - Mandriva

This is a discussion on Asus Motherboard - Mandriva ; Greetings, In reference to ASUS motherboard M2N-MX SE PLUS, I have sent the following email to ASUS, which you will find self explanatory. Motherboard is blocking the Linux installation as well as the use of Live versions like Mandriva Flash ...

  1. Asus Motherboard

    Greetings,
    In reference to ASUS motherboard M2N-MX SE PLUS, I have sent the following
    email to ASUS, which you will find self explanatory.

    Motherboard is blocking the Linux installation as well as the use of Live
    versions like Mandriva Flash and Knoppix
    Unable to upgrade BIOS firmware as instructions in manual and on Internet
    are unclear and conflicting.
    In view of the above I am returning the motherboard to the vendor.
    I am also posting a notice on the Linux News groups and Linux computer
    clubs, suggesting people to refrain from buying any Asus products until
    assurances are given that no further blockages on the installation of
    Linux, will be implemented.
    This is a shameful anti Linux attitude.

    I have successfully used their products in the past.

    FYI on trying to install Mandriva the installation starts and then the
    screen goes "Blank" (grey in fact). The same thing happens when trying to
    run Mandriva Flash or Knoppix.

    I am posting the above as a warning to other Linux users.

    Hope this assists
    --
    Rgds.
    Edward

  2. Re: Asus Motherboard

    On Sun, 28 Sep 2008 21:59:25 -0400, edward wrote:

    > Motherboard is blocking the Linux installation as well as the use of Live
    > versions like Mandriva Flash and Knoppix

    Please give some more information. What is the exact error message, or
    symptom of the install problem. Have you tried standard install work-arounds
    like booting with "acpi=off"?

    Regards, Dave Hodgins

  3. Re: Asus Motherboard

    edward wrote:

    > In reference to ASUS motherboard M2N-MX SE PLUS, I have sent the following
    > email to ASUS, which you will find self explanatory.

    //snip//

    I've got just the same motherboard here. It installs Ubuntu and Mandriva
    fine with acpi-off selected as a boot parameter! Also, no problem with the
    BIOS.

    The documentation on the ASUS website is poorly written (they need to employ
    some professional translators), but this is not unusual with South East
    Asian companies.

    C.

  4. Re: Asus Motherboard

    On Monday 29 September 2008 09:21, someone identifying as *Christopher
    Hunter* wrote in /alt.os.linux.mandriva:/

    > The documentation on the ASUS website is poorly written (they need to
    > employ some professional translators), but this is not unusual with South
    > East Asian companies.

    Are you implying that there are actually motherboard manufacturers that are
    *not* of South-East Asian origin?

    (Well, except for Intel of course, although I'm pretty sure that their
    motherboards are manufactured somewhere in South-East Asia as well... )

    --
    *Aragorn*
    (registered GNU/Linux user #223157)

  5. Re: Asus Motherboard

    On Mon, 29 Sep 2008 11:34:40 +0100, darklight wrote:

    >> Motherboard is blocking the Linux installation as well as the use of
    >> Live versions like Mandriva Flash and Knoppix Unable to upgrade BIOS
    >> firmware as instructions in manual and on Internet are unclear and
    >> conflicting.

    >> I have successfully used their products in the past.
    >>
    >> FYI on trying to install Mandriva the installation starts and then the
    >> screen goes "Blank" (grey in fact). The same thing happens when trying
    >> to run Mandriva Flash or Knoppix.
    >>
    >> I am posting the above as a warning to other Linux users.
    >>
    >> Hope this assists

    > i would not say it is the motherboard but the os i have installed on my
    > motherboard which is a asus m2n-sli deluxe opensuse 10.3 but opensuse
    > 11.0 would not install. from my perpective the problem is in the kernel
    > for this is where my installation would stall.
    >
    > what happens if you install an older verstion of mandriva

    With suse 11.0 you could try the following switch 'noacip nolacip'

    Do not type the apostrophes. This works with Debian , Suse and studio 64.
    HTH

    --
    Neil
    reverse ra and delete l

  6. Re: Asus Motherboard

    Aragorn wrote:

    > On Monday 29 September 2008 09:21, someone identifying as *Christopher
    > Hunter* wrote in /alt.os.linux.mandriva:/
    >
    >> The documentation on the ASUS website is poorly written (they need to
    >> employ some professional translators), but this is not unusual with South
    >> East Asian companies.

    > Are you implying that there are actually motherboard manufacturers that
    > are *not* of South-East Asian origin?
    >
    > (Well, except for Intel of course, although I'm pretty sure that their
    > motherboards are manufactured somewhere in South-East Asia as well... )

    Strangely enough, I have recently had motherboards from Mexico (Intel) and
    Brazil (can't remember the brand). It seems they're made where the
    labour's cheap!

    C.

  7. Re: Asus Motherboard

    David W. Hodgins wrote:

    > On Sun, 28 Sep 2008 21:59:25 -0400, edward wrote:
    >
    >> Motherboard is blocking the Linux installation as well as the use of Live
    >> versions like Mandriva Flash and Knoppix

    > Please give some more information. What is the exact error message, or
    > symptom of the install problem. Have you tried standard install
    > work-arounds like booting with "acpi=off"?
    >
    > Regards, Dave Hodgins

    Greetings,

    As per your request, this is what happened to me, with:
    Mandriva 2008.1 i586 Spring
    Mandriva Flash 2008, and
    Knoppix 5.3.1.

    In the case of Mandriva, 2008.1 the initial screen comes up where you
    select "Install", then a "grey screen" and nothing else!

    With Mandriva Flash, the startup page from the dvd comes up, you type
    Flash200 and you get a grey page as above.

    With knoppix the opening page comes up, you type Knoppix lang=US and then
    the above grey page comes up.

    Having fitted the computer with two drives, I installed Windows XP with out
    any problems. (This computer in not mine but a friend's who wanted to have
    a dual boot)

    From the above postings I now suspect this may be a condition existing in
    Australia as it seems some people imply they have installed this board
    without problems in other countries.

    Nevertheless I will personally refrain from purchasing any ASUS products
    until an assurance is given that their products are Linux compatible.

    We should all insist on this, for all brands, particularly laptops, all of
    which come pre-installed with Vista and with a firmware that is not fully
    compatible with Linux.
    --
    Rgds.
    Edward
    Registered Linux User No. 224802

  8. Re: Asus Motherboard

    On Monday 29 September 2008 16:38, someone identifying as *Neil Ellwood*
    wrote in /alt.os.linux.mandriva:/

    > With suse 11.0 you could try the following switch 'noacip nolacip'

    Ehm.... That should be /noapic/ and /nolapic,/ but neither of those have
    anything to do with ACPI (Advanced Control and Power Interface). :-)

    The APIC (Advanced Programmable Interrupt Controller) is a register on the
    processor for mapping out interrupts.

    The pertaining kernel boot parameters are thus as follows...:

    acpi=on -> full ACPI interpreter support
    acpi=ht -> only use ACPI to enable hyperthreading (if available)
    acpi=off -> no ACPI support

    noapic -> do not set up the APIC and use the legacy PIC instead
    nolapic -> do not use the local APIC

    The latter two boot parameters were often needed on some uniprocessor
    machines with the combination of a VIA chipset and an AMD processor - and
    in some rare cases with an Intel as well - although I must say that this
    machine here also has an Asus motherboard with a VIA chipset and an AMD
    Athlon XP 2800+ processor, and I've always booted up without any of those
    options, and with the machine running 24/7.

    I /have/ recently begun seeing some instability at the (X11) application
    level - and so far also two or three full lockups, but with the kernel
    still alive during two of them - but since I haven't changed anything to
    the hardware or the software, I suspect this to be the result of dust in
    the fans or possibly a problem with one of the memory modules.

    --
    *Aragorn*
    (registered GNU/Linux user #223157)

  9. Re: Asus Motherboard

    edward wrote:

    > Greetings,
    > In reference to ASUS motherboard M2N-MX SE PLUS, I have sent the following
    > email to ASUS, which you will find self explanatory.
    >
    > Motherboard is blocking the Linux installation as well as the use of Live
    > versions like Mandriva Flash and Knoppix
    > Unable to upgrade BIOS firmware as instructions in manual and on Internet
    > are unclear and conflicting.
    > In view of the above I am returning the motherboard to the vendor.
    > I am also posting a notice on the Linux News groups and Linux computer
    > clubs, suggesting people to refrain from buying any Asus products until
    > assurances are given that no further blockages on the installation of
    > Linux, will be implemented.
    > This is a shameful anti Linux attitude.
    >
    > I have successfully used their products in the past.
    >
    > FYI on trying to install Mandriva the installation starts and then the
    > screen goes "Blank" (grey in fact). The same thing happens when trying to
    > run Mandriva Flash or Knoppix.
    >
    > I am posting the above as a warning to other Linux users.
    >
    > Hope this assists

    3 years. 3 years before I got a good BIOS release from Asus. At last, I can
    use standby (disk or ram).

    But... even if they don't sell this motherboard anymore, they were still
    working on it and finally fixed it (bug fix backported from new BIOS I
    guess, but they could ignore us).

+ Reply to Thread