creating audiobooks - Mandriva

This is a discussion on creating audiobooks - Mandriva ; Hi I am using Mandriva 2008.1 and am interested in making audiobooks. There are a few books that i want to read out and distribute particularly, god's debris by scott adams. what applications would i require to make decent quality ...

  1. creating audiobooks

    Hi

    I am using Mandriva 2008.1 and am interested in making audiobooks.
    There are a few books that i want to read out and distribute
    particularly, god's debris by scott adams.

    what applications would i require to make decent quality audiobooks?

  2. Re: creating audiobooks

    On Sun, 28 Sep 2008 04:54:08 -0700, Sindhu wrote:

    > I am using Mandriva 2008.1 and am interested in making audiobooks. There
    > are a few books that i want to read out and distribute particularly,
    > god's debris by scott adams.
    >
    > what applications would i require to make decent quality audiobooks?

    A good source of legal advice would be the first thing needed.

  3. Re: creating audiobooks

    On Sep 28, 6:21*pm, Mark Madsen wrote:
    > On Sun, 28 Sep 2008 04:54:08 -0700, Sindhu wrote:
    > > I am using Mandriva 2008.1 and am interested in making audiobooks. There
    > > are a few books that i want to read out *and distribute particularly,
    > > god's debris by scott adams.

    > > what applications would i require to make decent quality audiobooks?

    > A good source of legal advice would be the first thing needed.

    Am well aware of those and I don't think I'd need that because these
    audiobooks are only for my hearing pleasure. I am not gifted in voice
    as jim dale. i want to create audiobooks, because reading aloud helps
    me understand the matter better.

  4. Re: creating audiobooks

    On Sun, 28 Sep 2008 08:10:58 -0700, Sindhu wrote:

    > On Sep 28, 6:21*pm, Mark Madsen wrote:
    >> On Sun, 28 Sep 2008 04:54:08 -0700, Sindhu wrote:
    >> > I am using Mandriva 2008.1 and am interested in making audiobooks.
    >> > There are a few books that i want to read out *and distribute
    >> > particularly, god's debris by scott adams.

    >> > what applications would i require to make decent quality audiobooks?

    >> A good source of legal advice would be the first thing needed.

    > Am well aware of those and I don't think I'd need that because these
    > audiobooks are only for my hearing pleasure. I am not gifted in voice as
    > jim dale. i want to create audiobooks, because reading aloud helps me
    > understand the matter better.

    That's all fine and good, but the key phrase in your original post is
    "...and distribute...."

  5. Re: creating audiobooks

    On Sep 28, 11:26*pm, Mark Madsen wrote:
    > On Sun, 28 Sep 2008 08:10:58 -0700, Sindhu wrote:

    > >> A good source of legal advice would be the first thing needed.

    > > Am well aware of those and I don't think I'd need that because these
    > > audiobooks are only for my hearing pleasure. I am not gifted in voice as
    > > jim dale. i want to create audiobooks, because reading aloud helps me
    > > understand the matter better.

    > That's all fine and good, but the key phrase in your original post is
    > "...and distribute...."

  6. Re: creating audiobooks

    On Sep 28, 11:26*pm, Mark Madsen wrote:
    > On Sun, 28 Sep 2008 08:10:58 -0700, Sindhu wrote:

    > >> A good source of legal advice would be the first thing needed.

    > > Am well aware of those and I don't think I'd need that because these
    > > audiobooks are only for my hearing pleasure. I am not gifted in voice as
    > > jim dale. i want to create audiobooks, because reading aloud helps me
    > > understand the matter better.

    > That's all fine and good, but the key phrase in your original post is
    > "...and distribute...."

    yes and i believe i also said "particularly" followed by the books
    name which is freely available online and i dont think god's debris
    novella has any restrictions on being distributed as an audiobook.

  7. Re: creating audiobooks

    Sindhu wrote:
    > On Sep 28, 11:26 pm, Mark Madsen wrote:
    >>> Am well aware of those and I don't think I'd need that because these
    >>> audiobooks are only for my hearing pleasure. I am not gifted in voice as
    >>> jim dale. i want to create audiobooks, because reading aloud helps me
    >>> understand the matter better.

    >> That's all fine and good, but the key phrase in your original post is
    >> "...and distribute...."

    > yes and i believe i also said "particularly" followed by the books
    > name which is freely available online and i dont think god's debris
    > novella has any restrictions on being distributed as an audiobook.

    Sindhu,

    The book God's Debris by Scott Adams is available on Amazon. As a
    published book, it is virtuallty certain to carry a claim to
    copyright (by the publisher, if not the author).

    If there is a claim to copyright, U.S. law (and international
    copyright conventions) require you obtain the permission of the
    copyright holder to translate it into any other language or form
    (includes audiobooks) or copy and distribute in any fashion.

    The book may be available online, but unless the copyright holder
    has declared it in the public domain that is itself a violation
    of intellectual property rights.

    Brief excerpts from the work, not consisting of major portions,
    may be copied and distributed in accordance with the "fair use"
    doctrine that is part of the law. But this would not cover
    creation and distribution of an audiobook version.

    Sorry 'bout that. See a lawyer before proceeding, or you could
    find yourself the target of a lawsuit and focus of an international
    flap over protection of intellectual property rights.

    Unless of course the work has been declared in the public domain,
    or there is no claim to copyright made. In that case, you can
    do anything you want with it. But the chance of that being true
    are basically zero. Publishers do no allow others to do anything
    they wish with works they publish, as that would cost them sales
    and profits.

    jim b.

    --
    UNIX is not user unfriendly; it merely
    expects users to be computer-friendly.

  8. Re: creating audiobooks

    On Sep 29, 8:45*am, Jim Beard wrote:
    > Sindhu wrote:
    > >> That's all fine and good, but the key phrase in your original post is
    > >> "...and distribute...."

    > > yes and i believe i also said "particularly" followed by the books
    > > name which is freely available online and i dont think god's debris
    > > novella has any restrictions on being distributed as an audiobook.

    > Sindhu,
    >
    > The book God's Debris by Scott Adams is available on Amazon. *As a
    > published book, it is virtuallty certain to carry a claim to
    > copyright (by the publisher, if not the author).
    >
    > If there is a claim to copyright, U.S. law (and international
    > copyright conventions) require you obtain the permission of the
    > copyright holder to translate it into any other language or form
    > (includes audiobooks) or copy and distribute in any fashion.
    >
    > The book may be available online, but unless the copyright holder
    > has declared it in the public domain that is itself a violation
    > of intellectual property rights.
    >
    > Brief excerpts from the work, not consisting of major portions,
    > may be copied and distributed in accordance with the "fair use"
    > doctrine that is part of the law. *But this would not cover
    > creation and distribution of an audiobook version.
    >
    > Sorry 'bout that. *See a lawyer before proceeding, or you could
    > find yourself the target of a lawsuit and focus of an international
    > flap over protection of intellectual property rights.
    >
    > Unless of course the work has been declared in the public domain,
    > or there is no claim to copyright made. *In that case, you can
    > do anything you want with it. *But the chance of that being true
    > are basically zero. *Publishers do no allow others to do anything
    > they wish with works they publish, as that would cost them sales
    > and profits.
    >
    > jim b.
    >
    > --
    > UNIX is not user unfriendly; it merely
    > * * * expects users to be computer-friendly.

    i had previously read up public domain and other licenses on
    wikipedia. I understand what you are saying, i emailed scott adams and
    also sent an email on the dilbert blog asking about this issue. thanks

    but this thread is going in a direction that does not answer my
    question at all. i ask again, what applications / hardware would i
    need to read out books?

  9. Re: creating audiobooks

    Sindhu wrote:

    > i had previously read up public domain and other licenses on
    > wikipedia. I understand what you are saying, i emailed scott adams and
    > also sent an email on the dilbert blog asking about this issue. thanks
    >
    > but this thread is going in a direction that does not answer my
    > question at all. i ask again, what applications / hardware would i
    > need to read out books?

    A microphone and Audacity should do it.

+ Reply to Thread