Re: K3B as CD burner - Mandriva

This is a discussion on Re: K3B as CD burner - Mandriva ; I mentioned in another thread that K3B was supposed to be broken. Broken or not, I have had several failures at burning with K3B, and not one at burning ISOs with a script I got from the Web. Somebody said ...

  1. Re: K3B as CD burner

    I mentioned in another thread that K3B was supposed to be broken. Broken or
    not, I have had several failures at burning with K3B, and not one at
    burning ISOs with a script I got from the Web. Somebody said that wodim
    was the problem, but the script calls wodim.

    Doug.
    --
    Judge a man by his questions rather than by his answers.
    - Voltaire

  2. Re: K3B as CD burner

    In article ,
    Doug Laidlaw wrote:
    >I mentioned in another thread that K3B was supposed to be broken. Broken or
    >not, I have had several failures at burning with K3B, and not one at
    >burning ISOs with a script I got from the Web. Somebody said that wodim
    >was the problem, but the script calls wodim.

    wodim is broken, genisoimage is even more broken....

    If your k3b version has not been modified, k3n will first look for
    the original software and it will prefer the original software because
    of the bugs in the non-free fork.

    I recommend you to remove the fork and to install the free original software
    from:

    ftp://ftp.berlios.de/pub/cdrecord/alpha/

    the recent version is 2.01.01a50

    --
    EMail:joerg@schily.isdn.cs.tu-berlin.de (home) Jrg Schilling D-13353 Berlin
    js@cs.tu-berlin.de (uni)

  3. Re: K3B as CD burner

    On Sun, 28 Sep 2008 14:29:38 +1000, Doug Laidlaw wrote:

    > I mentioned in another thread that K3B was supposed to be broken.
    > Broken or not, I have had several failures at burning with K3B, and not
    > one at burning ISOs with a script I got from the Web. Somebody said
    > that wodim was the problem, but the script calls wodim.

    Trolling for Jörg Schilling, I see. Well, you got a big bite on the
    first cast.

    That was the easy part. Now see if you can manage to land him. I hope
    you have a big net handy.

  4. Re: K3B as CD burner

    On Sun, 28 Sep 2008 10:27:01 +0000, Joerg Schilling wrote:

    > In article , Doug Laidlaw
    > wrote:
    >>I mentioned in another thread that K3B was supposed to be broken.
    >>Broken or not, I have had several failures at burning with K3B, and not
    >>one at burning ISOs with a script I got from the Web. Somebody said
    >>that wodim was the problem, but the script calls wodim.

    > wodim is broken, genisoimage is even more broken....

    If it's broken and you know how it needs to be fixed, could you submit
    bug reports and patches to the Debian maintainer? His name is also Jörg.

    > If your k3b version has not been modified, k3n will first look for the
    > original software and it will prefer the original software because of
    > the bugs in the non-free fork.

    See above.

    > I recommend you to remove the fork and to install the free original
    > software from:

    I note the word "free". Can you clarify for us which licence cdrecord is
    now using?

    > ftp://ftp.berlios.de/pub/cdrecord/alpha/

    Do you really recommend people to use your alpha code?

  5. Re: K3B as CD burner

    Joerg Schilling wrote:
    > In article ,
    > Doug Laidlaw wrote:
    >> I mentioned in another thread that K3B was supposed to be broken. Broken or
    >> not, I have had several failures at burning with K3B, and not one at
    >> burning ISOs with a script I got from the Web. Somebody said that wodim
    >> was the problem, but the script calls wodim.

    > wodim is broken, genisoimage is even more broken....
    >
    > If your k3b version has not been modified, k3n will first look for
    > the original software and it will prefer the original software because
    > of the bugs in the non-free fork.
    >
    > I recommend you to remove the fork and to install the free original software
    > from:
    >
    > ftp://ftp.berlios.de/pub/cdrecord/alpha/
    >
    > the recent version is 2.01.01a50

    Recommendation seconded. (Yes, I do have the nerve to second the
    word "from the horse's mouth." Do note that symbolic links may be
    obscuring what you actually are using at the moment.

    Cheers!

    jim b.

    --
    UNIX is not user unfriendly; it merely
    expects users to be computer-friendly.

  6. Re: K3B as CD burner

    On Sun, 28 Sep 2008 07:56:43 -0400, Jim Beard wrote:

    > Recommendation seconded. (Yes, I do have the nerve to second the
    > word "from the horse's mouth." Do note that symbolic links may be
    > obscuring what you actually are using at the moment.

    Yes, /etc/alternatives/ do tend to twist things around a bit. :-)

  7. Re: K3B as CD burner

    In article <48df70b0$1_5@news.bluewin.ch>,
    Mark Madsen wrote:

    >> wodim is broken, genisoimage is even more broken....

    >If it's broken and you know how it needs to be fixed, could you submit
    >bug reports and patches to the Debian maintainer? His name is also Jörg.

    Why should I support a dead project that even violates the GPL and Urheberrecht?

    And BTW: there are so many bugs that have already been reported against
    the fork. If there was a will to maintain the fork, at least some of these
    bugs had been fixed during the past 2 years.

    >> I recommend you to remove the fork and to install the free original
    >> software from:

    >I note the word "free". Can you clarify for us which licence cdrecord is
    >now using?

    While the Debian fork violates GPL and Urheberrecht, the original
    software uses licenses approved by the OpenSource Initiative and
    does not violate GPL or Urheberrecht.

    Note that the Debian fork only exists as a personal revenge from a
    Debian maintainer who was whining about the fact that his broken
    mkisofs patch could not be integrated into the original software for
    quality reasons.

    There never was a license problem with the original software - this
    is only a fairy tale invented by Debian people......

    >> ftp://ftp.berlios.de/pub/cdrecord/alpha/

    >Do you really recommend people to use your alpha code?

    It is more stable than the Linux kernel you are using....

    --
    EMail:joerg@schily.isdn.cs.tu-berlin.de (home) Jrg Schilling D-13353 Berlin
    js@cs.tu-berlin.de (uni)

  8. Re: K3B as CD burner

    Mark Madsen wrote:
    >> ftp://ftp.berlios.de/pub/cdrecord/alpha/

    > Do you really recommend people to use your alpha code?

    He does. And his "alpha code" is better than obsolete
    code that Mandriva and some other continue to use.

    And there are a variety of versions to choose from, if you
    seem to have a problem with the latest or latest-recommended
    version.

    Cheers!

    jim b.

    --
    UNIX is not user unfriendly; it merely
    expects users to be computer-friendly.

  9. Re: K3B as CD burner

    on Sunday 28 September 2008 14:29
    Doug Laidlaw wrote:

    > I mentioned in another thread that K3B was supposed to be broken. Broken
    > or not, I have had several failures at burning with K3B, and not one at
    > burning ISOs with a script I got from the Web. Somebody said that wodim
    > was the problem, but the script calls wodim.

    Which breakage? False verification failures can be killed by
    configuring k3b to not eject media. Bizarre.

    --
    sig goes here...
    Peter D.

  10. Re: K3B as CD burner

    On Sun, 28 Sep 2008 12:51:12 +0000, Joerg Schilling wrote:

    > In article <48df70b0$1_5@news.bluewin.ch>, Mark Madsen
    > wrote:
    >
    >>> wodim is broken, genisoimage is even more broken....

    >>If it's broken and you know how it needs to be fixed, could you submit
    >>bug reports and patches to the Debian maintainer? His name is also
    >>Jörg.

    > Why should I support a dead project that even violates the GPL and
    > Urheberrecht?

    You shouldn't, if that is the case, neither should anyone else.

    > And BTW: there are so many bugs that have already been reported against
    > the fork. If there was a will to maintain the fork, at least some of
    > these bugs had been fixed during the past 2 years.

    You make it sound like it's unmaintained, but the last release was at the
    end of May.

    >>> I recommend you to remove the fork and to install the free original
    >>> software from:

    >>I note the word "free". Can you clarify for us which licence cdrecord
    >>is now using?

    > While the Debian fork violates GPL and Urheberrecht, the original
    > software uses licenses approved by the OpenSource Initiative and does
    > not violate GPL or Urheberrecht.

    But Debian's problem is that your new licence isn't compatible with the
    overall licence of the distro, right? So what option do they have?

    > Note that the Debian fork only exists as a personal revenge from a
    > Debian maintainer who was whining about the fact that his broken mkisofs
    > patch could not be integrated into the original software for quality
    > reasons.

    Only you and he know the truth of that assertion. The rest of us have to
    rely on the publicly available facts.

    > There never was a license problem with the original software - this is
    > only a fairy tale invented by Debian people......

    It concerns me that so much of your argument is based on ad-hominem
    contentions.

    >>> ftp://ftp.berlios.de/pub/cdrecord/alpha/

    >>Do you really recommend people to use your alpha code?

    > It is more stable than the Linux kernel you are using....

    It's just that the naming subverts the usual semantics of alpha, beta,
    RC, and release.

    Overall, it sounds to me like the entire situation will only ever be
    resolved (if that is still possible) once everyone has stopped spreading
    disinformation, and I would encourage you not to add to it any further,
    especially since it does the greatest disservice to you.

    Incidentally, I do not intend you to mistake my remarks. I have a great
    deal of respect for your development achievements, especially cdrecord
    and its siblings.

  11. Re: K3B as CD burner

    In article ,
    Jim Beard wrote:
    >Mark Madsen wrote:
    >>> ftp://ftp.berlios.de/pub/cdrecord/alpha/

    >> Do you really recommend people to use your alpha code?

    >He does. And his "alpha code" is better than obsolete
    >code that Mandriva and some other continue to use.
    >
    >And there are a variety of versions to choose from, if you
    >seem to have a problem with the latest or latest-recommended
    >version.

    Correct, there are a few exceptions when the code might cause proplems,
    but this is announced.

    Let me give an example: In order to get rid of several problems caused
    by design bugs in GNU getopt_long(), I replaced GNU getopt_long() by
    getargs() ~ 2 years ago and had to remove 3000 old lines in mkisofs and
    added 2000 new lines of code. This is a real big change that was expected
    to cause problems and it really did for the successive three releases. But
    as this was announced as something that may cause problems, people did
    know in advance and could check whether their typical usage was not broken.

    In case there is no such announcement, any later version is expected to be
    superior to previous versions.

    --
    EMail:joerg@schily.isdn.cs.tu-berlin.de (home) Jrg Schilling D-13353 Berlin
    js@cs.tu-berlin.de (uni)

  12. Re: K3B as CD burner

    In article <48df87a5$1_5@news.bluewin.ch>,
    Mark Madsen wrote:

    >> Why should I support a dead project that even violates the GPL and
    >> Urheberrecht?

    >You shouldn't, if that is the case, neither should anyone else.

    OK; then you have the same opinion as I have.

    >> And BTW: there are so many bugs that have already been reported against
    >> the fork. If there was a will to maintain the fork, at least some of
    >> these bugs had been fixed during the past 2 years.

    >You make it sound like it's unmaintained, but the last release was at the
    >end of May.

    The person who initiated the attacks and who initiated the fork shut down all
    his work in the fork on May 6th 2007. Since then, mainly editorial changes
    (some if them even to and reverse) have been made. No real development is
    visible since then. There are still more bugs in the fork than have been
    in the original they took in September 2006.

    >> While the Debian fork violates GPL and Urheberrecht, the original
    >> software uses licenses approved by the OpenSource Initiative and does
    >> not violate GPL or Urheberrecht.

    >But Debian's problem is that your new licence isn't compatible with the
    >overall licence of the distro, right? So what option do they have?

    This is what Debian claims but this is obviously not the truth, since all
    known lawyers say that there are no problems with the original software.

    >> Note that the Debian fork only exists as a personal revenge from a
    >> Debian maintainer who was whining about the fact that his broken mkisofs
    >> patch could not be integrated into the original software for quality
    >> reasons.

    >Only you and he know the truth of that assertion. The rest of us have to
    >rely on the publicly available facts.

    As long as Debian continues to spread wrong claims and as long as people
    believe them, there is a problem.

    I hope you will never get into a similar situation as I have been where
    people spread wrong claims on you and "prove" their claims by quoting
    others that just copied from the same single source. The real problem is
    that people did believe unproven claims instead of believing the attacked
    person, as long as there is no proof for the claims of the attackers.

    >Overall, it sounds to me like the entire situation will only ever be
    >resolved (if that is still possible) once everyone has stopped spreading
    >disinformation, and I would encourage you not to add to it any further,
    >especially since it does the greatest disservice to you.

    You are right, this is why I am currently working on getting more people
    to spread the truth. I am sure that soon, Debian will get the bill for their
    behavior.

    --
    EMail:joerg@schily.isdn.cs.tu-berlin.de (home) Jrg Schilling D-13353 Berlin
    js@cs.tu-berlin.de (uni)

  13. Re: K3B as CD burner

    Mark Madsen wrote:

    > On Sun, 28 Sep 2008 12:51:12 +0000, Joerg Schilling wrote:
    >
    >> Note that the Debian fork only exists as a personal revenge from a
    >> Debian maintainer who was whining about the fact that his broken mkisofs
    >> patch could not be integrated into the original software for quality
    >> reasons.

    > Only you and he know the truth of that assertion. The rest of us have to
    > rely on the publicly available facts.

    I googled on his name and this was half way down the first page of hits:
    http://lists.debian.org/debian-devel.../msg00487.html

    Seems that the fork occurred because his personality makes him impossible to
    collaborate with. And a quick google-groups check suggests that he must
    continuously grep for any mention of cdrecord or wodim and then leap in as
    demonstrated in this thread. Ho-hum. I guess that he's a far extreme of
    the personality type that many of us geeks have. What a state to get into.

  14. Re: K3B as CD burner

    Jim Beard wrote:

    > Mark Madsen wrote:
    >>> ftp://ftp.berlios.de/pub/cdrecord/alpha/

    >> Do you really recommend people to use your alpha code?

    > He does. And his "alpha code" is better than obsolete
    > code that Mandriva and some other continue to use.
    >
    > And there are a variety of versions to choose from, if you
    > seem to have a problem with the latest or latest-recommended
    > version.

    After installing the cdrtools from the forementioned link,
    set /etc/alternatives links like the following:

    lrwxrwxrwx 1 root root 24 2008-06-22
    16:17 /etc/alternatives/cdda2wav -> /opt/schily/bin/cdda2wav*
    lrwxrwxrwx 1 root root 24 2008-06-22
    16:12 /etc/alternatives/cdrecord -> /opt/schily/bin/cdrecord*
    lrwxrwxrwx 1 root root 23 2008-06-22
    16:19 /etc/alternatives/mkisofs -> /opt/schily/bin/mkisofs*
    lrwxrwxrwx 1 root root 22 2008-06-22
    16:19 /etc/alternatives/readcd -> /opt/schily/bin/readcd*

  15. Re: K3B as CD burner

    On Sun, 28 Sep 2008 13:59:28 +0000, Joerg Schilling wrote:

    > In article <48df87a5$1_5@news.bluewin.ch>, Mark Madsen
    > wrote:
    >
    >>> Why should I support a dead project that even violates the GPL and
    >>> Urheberrecht?

    >>You shouldn't, if that is the case, neither should anyone else.

    > OK; then you have the same opinion as I have.

    No, I have the opposite opinion. My evaluation of the guard clause is
    that it is false.

    >>> And BTW: there are so many bugs that have already been reported
    >>> against the fork. If there was a will to maintain the fork, at least
    >>> some of these bugs had been fixed during the past 2 years.

    >>You make it sound like it's unmaintained, but the last release was at
    >>the end of May.

    > The person who initiated the attacks and who initiated the fork shut
    > down all his work in the fork on May 6th 2007. Since then, mainly
    > editorial changes (some if them even to and reverse) have been made. No
    > real development is visible since then. There are still more bugs in the
    > fork than have been in the original they took in September 2006.

    Some of us like Linux, need to burn CDs and DVDs, and want a major
    upstream distro to use, like Debian, Ubuntu, Red Hat, Suse, or Mandriva.
    None of them are able to distribute your software since you changed the
    licence. Personal issues and bug counts can't affect the situation.

    >>> While the Debian fork violates GPL and Urheberrecht, the original
    >>> software uses licenses approved by the OpenSource Initiative and does
    >>> not violate GPL or Urheberrecht.

    >>But Debian's problem is that your new licence isn't compatible with the
    >>overall licence of the distro, right? So what option do they have?

    > This is what Debian claims but this is obviously not the truth, since
    > all known lawyers say that there are no problems with the original
    > software.

    "...all known lawyers...."???? Every single one???

    >>> Note that the Debian fork only exists as a personal revenge from a
    >>> Debian maintainer who was whining about the fact that his broken
    >>> mkisofs patch could not be integrated into the original software for
    >>> quality reasons.

    >>Only you and he know the truth of that assertion. The rest of us have
    >>to rely on the publicly available facts.

    > As long as Debian continues to spread wrong claims and as long as people
    > believe them, there is a problem.

    Their claim is simply that your new licence is incompatible with the GPL.

    > I hope you will never get into a similar situation as I have been where
    > people spread wrong claims on you and "prove" their claims by quoting
    > others that just copied from the same single source. The real problem is
    > that people did believe unproven claims instead of believing the
    > attacked person, as long as there is no proof for the claims of the
    > attackers.

    Nearly everyone just reads the text of the licence.

    >>Overall, it sounds to me like the entire situation will only ever be
    >>resolved (if that is still possible) once everyone has stopped spreading
    >>disinformation, and I would encourage you not to add to it any further,
    >>especially since it does the greatest disservice to you.

    > You are right, this is why I am currently working on getting more people
    > to spread the truth. I am sure that soon, Debian will get the bill for
    > their behavior.

    It doesn't matter how many people spread truth if some are dedicatedly
    spreading misinformation. Alas.

  16. Re: K3B as CD burner

    In article , Mike Thomas wrote:

    >Seems that the fork occurred because his personality makes him impossible to
    >collaborate with. And a quick google-groups check suggests that he must

    The fork occurred because the initiator of the fork is unable to collaborate.

    The collaboration with Debian was excellent before Mr. Bloch appeared!
    Unfortunately his predecessor did not have enough free time anymore after he
    received his university diploma.

    Mr. Bloch was collaborating nicely for the first 6 months. Then he became
    extremely lazy and many people complained about this in the Debian Bug Tracking
    system - almost all bugs that that time have been a result of the fact that
    he did not upgrade to a more recent upstream release and because he added
    his own buggy code instead of just using the original source.

    It is not a new impression that the Debian based source is full of bugs while
    the original code works nicely since Mr. Bloch took packet maintainership of
    cdrtools in 2003.

    --
    EMail:joerg@schily.isdn.cs.tu-berlin.de (home) Jrg Schilling D-13353 Berlin
    js@cs.tu-berlin.de (uni)

  17. Re: K3B as CD burner

    In article <48dfe352_3@news.bluewin.ch>,
    Mark Madsen wrote:

    >> As long as Debian continues to spread wrong claims and as long as people
    >> believe them, there is a problem.

    >Their claim is simply that your new licence is incompatible with the GPL.

    And this is a well known wrong claim.

    If you did ever ask a lawyer about the license combination, you did get the
    same answer as I give you. There is no problem with the license combination -
    otherwise I did not introuce it.