Does 2008.1 support SATA hotplug? - Mandriva

This is a discussion on Does 2008.1 support SATA hotplug? - Mandriva ; I keep seeing general references to this ability on the web but I dont know if it requires a special sata drive, or if the software is already built in to the kernel, or if i ned a user space ...

  1. Does 2008.1 support SATA hotplug?

    I keep seeing general references to this ability on the web but I dont know
    if it requires a special sata drive, or if the software is already built in
    to the kernel, or if i ned a user space program too, etc etc
    Iin a 2008.1 x86_64 system can i just unplug a sata drive (not the boot
    drive of course, but an unmounted backup drive) and then later plug it back
    in?
    I thought about just trying it to see, but thats probably a really good way
    to screw up a perfectly good drive if it turns out the answer is no.
    Thanks
    Eric

  2. Re: Does 2008.1 support SATA hotplug?

    Eric wrote:

    > I keep seeing general references to this ability on the web but I dont
    > know if it requires a special sata drive, or if the software is already
    > built in to the kernel, or if i ned a user space program too, etc etc
    > Iin a 2008.1 x86_64 system can i just unplug a sata drive (not the boot
    > drive of course, but an unmounted backup drive) and then later plug it
    > back in?
    > I thought about just trying it to see, but thats probably a really good
    > way to screw up a perfectly good drive if it turns out the answer is no.
    > Thanks
    > Eric

    Follow up:

    I just found this link:
    http://ata.wiki.kernel.org/index.php/Software_status
    where under hotplug it says:

    Hotplug support
    libata supports both controller hotplug ("yank the card") and device hotplug
    ("yank the drive").
    Most SATA controllers are hotplug-capable, if your system bus (PCI, etc.) is
    also hotplug-capable. All SATA devices are hotplug-capable.
    The following SATA controllers will never support hotplug: Intel ICH5-8
    (non-AHCI), Pacific Digital Talon (ADMA), Promise SATA SX4.
    These controllers do not export enough information about the SATA phy to
    make it possible to support hotplug. In some cases, such as Intel ICH5-8
    (non-AHCI), it is possible to support "coldplug" operation: the user
    informs the OS driver he wishes to disconnect his SATA device, rather than
    simply disconnecting it.
    Polling for certain errors on these controllers may make it possible to
    provide the appearance of hotplug, in some case.

    So, I guess 2008.1 should support SATA "Yank the drive" hotplug on my system
    since i have an ICH9R and my drives are in AHCI mode.

    Still... anyone try this? Is there a procedure to follow?
    Thanks
    Eric

  3. Re: Does 2008.1 support SATA hotplug?

    Eric wrote:

    > Eric wrote:
    >
    >> I keep seeing general references to this ability on the web but I dont
    >> know if it requires a special sata drive, or if the software is already
    >> built in to the kernel, or if i ned a user space program too, etc etc
    >> Iin a 2008.1 x86_64 system can i just unplug a sata drive (not the boot
    >> drive of course, but an unmounted backup drive) and then later plug it
    >> back in?
    >> I thought about just trying it to see, but thats probably a really good
    >> way to screw up a perfectly good drive if it turns out the answer is no.
    >> Thanks
    >> Eric

    > Follow up:
    >
    > I just found this link:
    > http://ata.wiki.kernel.org/index.php/Software_status
    > where under hotplug it says:
    >
    > Hotplug support
    > libata supports both controller hotplug ("yank the card") and device
    > hotplug ("yank the drive").
    > Most SATA controllers are hotplug-capable, if your system bus (PCI, etc.)
    > is also hotplug-capable. All SATA devices are hotplug-capable.
    > The following SATA controllers will never support hotplug: Intel ICH5-8
    > (non-AHCI), Pacific Digital Talon (ADMA), Promise SATA SX4.
    > These controllers do not export enough information about the SATA phy to
    > make it possible to support hotplug. In some cases, such as Intel ICH5-8
    > (non-AHCI), it is possible to support "coldplug" operation: the user
    > informs the OS driver he wishes to disconnect his SATA device, rather than
    > simply disconnecting it.
    > Polling for certain errors on these controllers may make it possible to
    > provide the appearance of hotplug, in some case.
    >
    > So, I guess 2008.1 should support SATA "Yank the drive" hotplug on my
    > system since i have an ICH9R and my drives are in AHCI mode.
    >
    > Still... anyone try this? Is there a procedure to follow?
    > Thanks
    > Eric

    I have a SATA hard drive which has caused me no problems under 2008.0 or
    2008.1. Hotplug usually seems to refer to plugging a drive into a running
    system, like a flash drive. That seems to be what your quotation refers
    to: you need to unmount some drives before removing them. I have no
    experience with that. The only instance of hotplugging a SATA drive I can
    think of is having it in a "removable drive" container. The drive is
    presumably a device, and according to your source, all devices will work.
    The controller is on your motherboard. Mine identifies in Harddrake as an
    MCP61 SATA controller/IDE interface by nVidia.

    If you mean unplug a drive that is screwed in place, I would not risk it. But
    I still unmount anything that can be popped out.

    HTH,

    Doug.
    --
    If we do not believe in freedom of speech for those we despise we do not
    believe in it at all.

  4. Re: Does 2008.1 support SATA hotplug?

    Doug Laidlaw wrote:

    > Eric wrote:
    >
    >> Eric wrote:
    >>
    >>> I keep seeing general references to this ability on the web but I dont
    >>> know if it requires a special sata drive, or if the software is already
    >>> built in to the kernel, or if i ned a user space program too, etc etc
    >>> Iin a 2008.1 x86_64 system can i just unplug a sata drive (not the boot
    >>> drive of course, but an unmounted backup drive) and then later plug it
    >>> back in?
    >>> I thought about just trying it to see, but thats probably a really good
    >>> way to screw up a perfectly good drive if it turns out the answer is no.
    >>> Thanks
    >>> Eric

    >> Follow up:
    >>
    >> I just found this link:
    >> http://ata.wiki.kernel.org/index.php/Software_status
    >> where under hotplug it says:
    >>
    >> Hotplug support
    >> libata supports both controller hotplug ("yank the card") and device
    >> hotplug ("yank the drive").
    >> Most SATA controllers are hotplug-capable, if your system bus (PCI, etc.)
    >> is also hotplug-capable. All SATA devices are hotplug-capable.
    >> The following SATA controllers will never support hotplug: Intel ICH5-8
    >> (non-AHCI), Pacific Digital Talon (ADMA), Promise SATA SX4.
    >> These controllers do not export enough information about the SATA phy to
    >> make it possible to support hotplug. In some cases, such as Intel ICH5-8
    >> (non-AHCI), it is possible to support "coldplug" operation: the user
    >> informs the OS driver he wishes to disconnect his SATA device, rather
    >> than simply disconnecting it.
    >> Polling for certain errors on these controllers may make it possible to
    >> provide the appearance of hotplug, in some case.
    >>
    >> So, I guess 2008.1 should support SATA "Yank the drive" hotplug on my
    >> system since i have an ICH9R and my drives are in AHCI mode.
    >>
    >> Still... anyone try this? Is there a procedure to follow?
    >> Thanks
    >> Eric

    > I have a SATA hard drive which has caused me no problems under 2008.0 or
    > 2008.1. Hotplug usually seems to refer to plugging a drive into a running
    > system, like a flash drive. That seems to be what your quotation refers
    > to: you need to unmount some drives before removing them. I have no
    > experience with that. The only instance of hotplugging a SATA drive I can
    > think of is having it in a "removable drive" container. The drive is
    > presumably a device, and according to your source, all devices will work.
    > The controller is on your motherboard. Mine identifies in Harddrake as an
    > MCP61 SATA controller/IDE interface by nVidia.
    >
    > If you mean unplug a drive that is screwed in place, I would not risk it.
    > But I still unmount anything that can be popped out.
    >
    > HTH,
    >
    > Doug.

    An example would be: having your SATA data and power cables hanging out with
    a SATA drive connected and running but not mounted. Can i unplug that drive
    and plug in another one, mount it and use it while the system is up and
    running?
    Eric

  5. Re: Does 2008.1 support SATA hotplug?

    Eric wrote:

    > Doug Laidlaw wrote:
    >
    >> Eric wrote:

    >>> Follow up:
    >>>
    >>> I just found this link:
    >>> http://ata.wiki.kernel.org/index.php/Software_status
    >>> where under hotplug it says:
    >>>
    >>> Hotplug support
    >>> libata supports both controller hotplug ("yank the card") and device
    >>> hotplug ("yank the drive").
    >>> Most SATA controllers are hotplug-capable, if your system bus (PCI,
    >>> etc.) is also hotplug-capable. All SATA devices are hotplug-capable.
    >>> The following SATA controllers will never support hotplug: Intel ICH5-8
    >>> (non-AHCI), Pacific Digital Talon (ADMA), Promise SATA SX4.
    >>> These controllers do not export enough information about the SATA phy to
    >>> make it possible to support hotplug. In some cases, such as Intel ICH5-8
    >>> (non-AHCI), it is possible to support "coldplug" operation: the user
    >>> informs the OS driver he wishes to disconnect his SATA device, rather
    >>> than simply disconnecting it.
    >>> Polling for certain errors on these controllers may make it possible to
    >>> provide the appearance of hotplug, in some case.
    >>>
    >>> So, I guess 2008.1 should support SATA "Yank the drive" hotplug on my
    >>> system since i have an ICH9R and my drives are in AHCI mode.
    >>>
    >>> Still... anyone try this? Is there a procedure to follow?
    >>> Thanks
    >>> Eric

    >> I have a SATA hard drive which has caused me no problems under 2008.0 or
    >> 2008.1. Hotplug usually seems to refer to plugging a drive into a
    >> running
    >> system, like a flash drive. That seems to be what your quotation refers
    >> to: you need to unmount some drives before removing them. I have no
    >> experience with that. The only instance of hotplugging a SATA drive I
    >> can
    >> think of is having it in a "removable drive" container. The drive is
    >> presumably a device, and according to your source, all devices will work.
    >> The controller is on your motherboard. Mine identifies in Harddrake as
    >> an MCP61 SATA controller/IDE interface by nVidia.
    >>
    >> If you mean unplug a drive that is screwed in place, I would not risk it.
    >> But I still unmount anything that can be popped out.
    >>
    >> HTH,
    >>
    >> Doug.

    > An example would be: having your SATA data and power cables hanging out
    > with a SATA drive connected and running but not mounted. Can i unplug that
    > drive and plug in another one, mount it and use it while the system is up
    > and running?
    > Eric

    That is what I said that I would not try, although I am not sure how that is
    different from mounting the drive in a drive carrier that slides in.

    If you want to try it, I would unplug the power cable first, then the data
    cable. Then when you put it back, there should be no data corruption,
    although it was not cleanly unmounted, and on a reboot, fsck would probably
    run.

    I would:
    (a) unmount the drive, either from the command line or from konqueror's
    Storage Media window;
    (b) unplug the power cable;
    (c) unplug the data cable.

    Install the new one in the reverse sequence. Hopefully when it powers up,
    hotplug will find it, and it will appear on your Storage Media screen. It
    may even pop up a window to let you choose, as it does with a CD.

    But I have never done this. I can't see any reason why it should not work,
    but my knowledge isn't deep enough. I doubt that you would physically
    damage either disk, but you might lose data. My thought is that you can't
    lose data while the disk is powered down.

    Doug.
    --
    The most important thing in communication is to hear what isn't being said.
    - Peter E. Drucker.

  6. Re: Does 2008.1 support SATA hotplug?

    Doug Laidlaw wrote:

    > Eric wrote:
    >
    >> Doug Laidlaw wrote:

    >>> I have a SATA hard drive which has caused me no problems under 2008.0 or
    >>> 2008.1. Hotplug usually seems to refer to plugging a drive into a
    >>> running
    >>> system, like a flash drive. That seems to be what your quotation refers
    >>> to: you need to unmount some drives before removing them. I have no
    >>> experience with that. The only instance of hotplugging a SATA drive I
    >>> can
    >>> think of is having it in a "removable drive" container. The drive is
    >>> presumably a device, and according to your source, all devices will
    >>> work.
    >>> The controller is on your motherboard. Mine identifies in Harddrake as
    >>> an MCP61 SATA controller/IDE interface by nVidia.
    >>>
    >>> If you mean unplug a drive that is screwed in place, I would not risk
    >>> it. But I still unmount anything that can be popped out.
    >>>
    >>> HTH,
    >>>
    >>> Doug.

    >> An example would be: having your SATA data and power cables hanging out
    >> with a SATA drive connected and running but not mounted. Can i unplug
    >> that drive and plug in another one, mount it and use it while the system
    >> is up and running?
    >> Eric

    > That is what I said that I would not try, although I am not sure how that
    > is different from mounting the drive in a drive carrier that slides in.
    >
    > If you want to try it, I would unplug the power cable first, then the data
    > cable. Then when you put it back, there should be no data corruption,
    > although it was not cleanly unmounted, and on a reboot, fsck would
    > probably run.
    >
    > I would:
    > (a) unmount the drive, either from the command line or from konqueror's
    > Storage Media window;
    > (b) unplug the power cable;
    > (c) unplug the data cable.
    >
    > Install the new one in the reverse sequence. Hopefully when it powers up,
    > hotplug will find it, and it will appear on your Storage Media screen. It
    > may even pop up a window to let you choose, as it does with a CD.
    >
    > But I have never done this. I can't see any reason why it should not
    > work,
    > but my knowledge isn't deep enough. I doubt that you would physically
    > damage either disk, but you might lose data. My thought is that you can't
    > lose data while the disk is powered down.
    >
    > Doug.

    Well, i held my breath and tried it - it works :-)
    Thanks
    Eric

+ Reply to Thread