urpmi vs mandriva update - Mandriva

This is a discussion on urpmi vs mandriva update - Mandriva ; On Mon, 29 Sep 2008 17:29:12 -0400, Jim Beard wrote: > Have you checked your modem settings and the settings in > configuration files under /etc? It has been some years since I was The settings are the same as ...

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
Results 21 to 26 of 26

  1. Re: urpmi vs mandriva update

    On Mon, 29 Sep 2008 17:29:12 -0400, Jim Beard wrote:

    > Have you checked your modem settings and the settings in
    > configuration files under /etc? It has been some years since I was

    The settings are the same as they were when I was consistently getting
    connections at 46600. I normally use kppp. The first init string
    is AT&F, the second is
    AT%C0%E1E1W4&S0S0=0S7=60S11=60S30=0C1+DS=3,0;+DS44=3,0;+VCID=1; +ES=3,0,2;&V

    That was selected by comparing what windows used, and digging through
    what documentation I could find. Worked well for the last 3 years, but the
    last month or so, I've been lucky to get 28800.

    I was thinking it might be a phone line issue, but using a friends laptop,
    on the same phone line connector, works fine. I then checked with xp, on
    my computer, and it's showing the same problem, so it looks like the modem
    itself has been damaged, probably by the same event that corrupted my swap
    partition, and my /var/log/ logical volume, on Sept. 4th.

    Since then, I've tried reseating the pci card, moving it to a different slot,
    cleaning the pci connector/slot, as well as the phone line slot, but to no avail.

    Given it only costs $5/month more for dsl, this'll probably motivate
    me to getting around to switching. Been planning on doing that for a while,
    but just haven't gotten around to doing it.

    Regards, Dave Hodgins

  2. Re: urpmi vs mandriva update

    David W. Hodgins wrote:
    > The settings are the same as they were when I was consistently getting
    > connections at 46600. I normally use kppp. The first init string
    > is AT&F, the second is
    > AT%C0%E1E1W4&S0S0=0S7=60S11=60S30=0C1+DS=3,0;+DS44=3,0;+VCID=1; +ES=3,0,2;&V

    Your modem does not match any of my old ones, but you might look at
    %C0. My manuals say that disables data compression, and that can
    make a difference. %C1 enables, on my old Zoom and earlier modems.

    The settings that control the type of compression used (usually the
    sequence in which they are tried, unless you specify only one or
    disable it completely), the negotiation process for speed, and
    whether/when/how the modem will retrain are other finicky things, but
    (so far as I can tell) you are using the defaults and that _should_
    work well.

    Cheers!

    jim b.

    --
    UNIX is not user unfriendly; it merely
    expects users to be computer-friendly.

  3. Re: urpmi vs mandriva update

    On Mon, 29 Sep 2008 22:56:15 -0400, Jim Beard wrote:

    > %C0. My manuals say that disables data compression, and that can
    > make a difference. %C1 enables, on my old Zoom and earlier modems.

    While compression will affect transfer speed, it will not affect the
    connection speed. I chose to disable all compression, both in the
    modem init, and the pppd options, after I determined that at least
    one of my isp's modems/computers doesn't work with anything other
    then m$ patented compression methods, which pppd doesn't support.

    Regards, Dave Hodgins

  4. Re: urpmi vs mandriva update

    On Mon, 29 Sep 2008 21:53:57 -0400, David W. Hodgins wrote:

    > Given it only costs $5/month more for dsl, this'll probably motivate me to
    > getting around to switching. Been planning on doing that for a while, but
    > just haven't gotten around to doing it.

    THat was the state I was in until July last year, mainly due to
    apprehension about the problems of switching s/w interfaces to
    broadband, but also broadband costs, which had then cone down muchly.

    Needn't have worried - it was all up and running in 30 minutes!
    The contrast is huge - a different way of doing things emerges...
    --
    /\/\aurice

  5. Re: urpmi vs mandriva update

    On Tue, 30 Sep 2008 07:03:11 -0400, Maurice Batey wrote:

    > Needn't have worried - it was all up and running in 30 minutes!

    I signed up, and picked up the modem. Have to wait till Monday for the phone
    company to connect it.

    Regards, Dave Hodgins

  6. Re: urpmi vs mandriva update [final comment from initial poster]

    Rob wrote:

    > Bit Twister wrote:
    >
    >> On Sat, 27 Sep 2008 22:47:41 +1000, Rob wrote:
    >>> I have recently upgraded to version 2008.1 and have noticed an apparent
    >>> difference between this version and 2007.1 which was the previous
    >>> version I used.
    >>>
    >>> With the earlier version, if the automatic mandriva update applet showed
    >>> updates were available, I could then use the 'urpmi --auto-update'
    >>> command
    >>> and it would find and install the updates. With 2008.1 if the applet
    >>> indicates there are updates and I then run the manual update *no*
    >>> updates are found. However if I then use the applet to perform the
    >>> installation there are indeed updates available.

    >> If you are going to run from the command line, use something like
    >> urpmi --wget --update --auto-update --auto
    >>
    >> That will verify your rpm lists match the mirror's list.
    >> If different, download the new lists used by auto-update.
    >> Just running with --auto-update only checks your rpm list against your
    >> install.
    >>
    >> I suggest you use the --wget option. Some sites only allow one
    >> connection at a time from the same ip. If curl runs instead of wget,
    >> you could miss some files.

    > Thanks for these suggestions - they obviously makes all the difference!
    > Now
    > I need to understand the whys. I'd always understood that:

    Since I first posted the message whivh began this thread I've
    noticed/realised a few 'things' about the software update processing so I
    decided to finish this topic off once and for all - assuming that no future
    system changes make any difference

    1) 'urpmi --auto-update' *is* the same as 'urpmi.update -a &&
    urpmi --auto-select'

    2) Using the '--update' option of 'urpmi' has the effect of limiting update
    checking to those media which are actually marked as --update
    in 'urpmi.cfg'. The only time this seems to actually be important is if
    one has a slow connection since you will not want to have more remote site
    accesses/downloads than necessary

    3) The --auto option of 'urpmi' means that if one uses skip.list then the
    wrong decision may be made. In my case using this option has caused me
    problems - I can expand this comment if anyone is interested in the
    details...

    4) There appears to have been, from my observations, at some change to the
    command line vs GUI system update mechanisms since I posted my initial
    message in this thread

    The upshot of all this is that the command line system update approach I
    used with Mandriva 2007.1 [urpmi --auto-update] seems to be working as
    expected again - i.e. it is attempting to do the same software updates as
    the Mandriva Update GUI software. The discrepancy raised here initially has
    therefore disappeared and apparent bug(s) fixed!

    Rob.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2