2009.0 RC2 is ready for download/test - Mandriva

This is a discussion on 2009.0 RC2 is ready for download/test - Mandriva ; You might want to consider downloading and testing 2009.0 RC2 to see if you need to create any bug reports for your setup. Last chance to get them fixed before 2009.0 production. -- http://uncyclopedia.org/wiki/Microsoft...

  1. 2009.0 RC2 is ready for download/test

    --
    http://uncyclopedia.org/wiki/Microsoft

  2. Re: 2009.0 RC2 is ready for download/test

    Bit Twister wrote:

    > You might want to consider downloading and testing 2009.0 RC2
    > to see if you need to create any bug reports for your setup.
    > Last chance to get them fixed before 2009.0 production.

    Is KDE4 still the default KDE environnement?

  3. Re: 2009.0 RC2 is ready for download/test

    On Fri, 26 Sep 2008 19:39:52 +0200, F8BOE wrote:

    > Is KDE4 still the default KDE environnement?

    Yup, default menu style is KDE 3 though.

    Might change, in the process of installing the 399 package updates
    as I type.

    --
    http://uncyclopedia.org/wiki/Microsoft

  4. Re: 2009.0 RC2 is ready for download/test

    F8BOE wrote:

    > Bit Twister wrote:
    >
    >> You might want to consider downloading and testing 2009.0 RC2
    >> to see if you need to create any bug reports for your setup.
    >> Last chance to get them fixed before 2009.0 production.
    >>

    > Is KDE4 still the default KDE environnement?

    Yes.

  5. Re: 2009.0 RC2 is ready for download/test

    Bit Twister wrote:

    > On Fri, 26 Sep 2008 19:39:52 +0200, F8BOE wrote:
    >>
    >> Is KDE4 still the default KDE environnement?

    > Yup, default menu style is KDE 3 though.

    Right click on it and you can choose another one.

  6. Re: 2009.0 RC2 is ready for download/test

    Amrein-Marie Christophe wrote:

    > Bit Twister wrote:
    >
    >> On Fri, 26 Sep 2008 19:39:52 +0200, F8BOE wrote:
    >>>
    >>> Is KDE4 still the default KDE environnement?

    >> Yup, default menu style is KDE 3 though.
    >>

    > Right click on it and you can choose another one.

    That makes 3 people already (including me) who prefer KDE 3. Not exactly a
    Vista/XP situation, but the trend is starting early enough. KDE is a good
    product, but it puts eye candy before usefulness. I downloaded R.C.1, and
    installed it on a spare partition. It didn't exactly do a Windows and
    delete my bootloader, but it did the next best thing. GRUB sent the system
    to look for my 2008.1 bootloader, which sent it straight back. First I had
    two successive bootload screens, then an infinite loop. But that is only a
    detail.

    On the merits of the new OS, I could see nothing on a straightforward KDE
    installation to differentiate it from an interim update, such as I had from
    the (now defunct) Club a couple of releases back. If 2008.1 is still being
    updated, I see no reason to upgrade. All that I am missing is a couple of
    recent library versions, to install "outside" programs. A bit like being
    part of Amway.

    Doug.
    --
    Most of the important things in the world have been accomplished by people
    who have kept on trying when there seemed to be no hope at all.

  7. Re: 2009.0 RC2 is ready for download/test

    On Sat, 27 Sep 2008 23:17:51 +1000, Doug Laidlaw wrote:

    > On the merits of the new OS, I could see nothing on a straightforward KDE
    > installation to differentiate it from an interim update, such as I had from
    > the (now defunct) Club a couple of releases back. If 2008.1 is still being
    > updated, I see no reason to upgrade.

    I can agree, 2009.1 might make the cut, but I would guess 2010.x could
    be as good as the current KDE 3.5.9.

  8. Re: 2009.0 RC2 is ready for download/test

    On Fri, 26 Sep 2008 09:30:30 +0000, Bit Twister wrote:

    > You might want to consider downloading and testing 2009.0 RC2 to see if
    > you need to create any bug reports for your setup. Last chance to get
    > them fixed before 2009.0 production.

    Mandriva One (2009.0 RC2) CD locks up, can't boot into it. Seems to get
    stuck somewhere where the graphics system would load. Only a hard reboot
    gets control of the computer back, only to get stuck again in the same
    place.

    So I won't be playing with 2009.0 until that's fixed. Hell, I only wanted
    to see just how bad KDE4 is with Mandriva.

  9. Re: 2009.0 RC2 is ready for download/test

    on Sunday 05 October 2008 07:01
    Ar wrote:

    > On Fri, 26 Sep 2008 09:30:30 +0000, Bit Twister wrote:
    >
    >> You might want to consider downloading and testing 2009.0 RC2 to see if
    >> you need to create any bug reports for your setup. Last chance to get
    >> them fixed before 2009.0 production.

    > Mandriva One (2009.0 RC2) CD locks up, can't boot into it. Seems to get
    > stuck somewhere where the graphics system would load. Only a hard reboot
    > gets control of the computer back, only to get stuck again in the same
    > place.
    >
    > So I won't be playing with 2009.0 until that's fixed. Hell, I only wanted
    > to see just how bad KDE4 is with Mandriva.

    Is this your problem?

    Stop the boot process with , add a "1", without the quotes,
    to the command line, , run "XFdrake", and finaly "telinit 5".

    Of course if you have a different problem, now would be a good time
    to report it.

    --
    sig goes here...
    Peter D.

  10. Re: 2009.0 RC2 is ready for download/test

    On Sun, 05 Oct 2008 11:49:29 +1100, Peter D. wrote:

    > Is this your problem?

    No, that bug is from an already installed 2009.0 RC2, where I'm talking
    about running that version from the CD.

    > Of course if you have a different problem, now would be a good time to
    > report it.

    Already reported and being looked into.

  11. Re: 2009.0 RC2 is ready for download/test

    on Monday 06 October 2008 20:21
    Ar wrote:

    > On Sun, 05 Oct 2008 11:49:29 +1100, Peter D. wrote:
    >
    >> Is this your problem?
    >>

    > No, that bug is from an already installed 2009.0 RC2, where I'm talking
    > about running that version from the CD.

    43870 is definitely about the ONE live CD. (Which can later be
    installed to a hard drive and the problem goes away.)

    >> Of course if you have a different problem, now would be a good time to
    >> report it.

    > Already reported and being looked into.

    Good.

    --