Mandriva 2009.0 and KDE 4 - Mandriva

This is a discussion on Mandriva 2009.0 and KDE 4 - Mandriva ; Hi What do you think of KDE 4.1.1 ? I always used KDE 3 and I'm disturbed with KDE 4....

  1. Mandriva 2009.0 and KDE 4

    Hi

    What do you think of KDE 4.1.1 ? I always used KDE 3 and I'm disturbed with
    KDE 4.

  2. Re: Mandriva 2009.0 and KDE 4

    Amrein-Marie Christophe wrote:

    > Hi
    >
    > What do you think of KDE 4.1.1 ? I always used KDE 3 and I'm disturbed
    > with KDE 4.

    Its not yet ready for everyday use IMO, if it doesn't come with or have
    3.5.9 or 10 easily available to install...its off to Gnome I go.

    --
    Patrick...at
    Latitude: 40.48*

  3. Re: Mandriva 2009.0 and KDE 4

    On Thu, 25 Sep 2008 17:50:43 +0200, Amrein-Marie Christophe wrote:

    > What do you think of KDE 4.1.1 ? I always used KDE 3 and I'm disturbed with
    > KDE 4.

    Like anything brand new, it kinda bites until you get used to it.

    First thing is set start button property back to KDE 3.x look and feel.

    Desktop plasmoid kinda useless except for creating your desktop
    shortcuts, setting their preferences, then dragging them onto the
    desktop like you had them in KDE3.

    Cannot not set background separately for each desktop is pretty poor.

    Amazed if they are going to keep to scheduled release dates:
    http://wiki.mandriva.com/en/2009.0_Development

    Notes and errata are a little sparse considering bug reports.
    http://wiki.mandriva.com/en/2009.0_Errata
    http://wiki.mandriva.com/en/2009.0_Notes

  4. Re: Mandriva 2009.0 and KDE 4

    Bit Twister wrote:

    > On Thu, 25 Sep 2008 17:50:43 +0200, Amrein-Marie Christophe wrote:
    >
    >> What do you think of KDE 4.1.1 ? I always used KDE 3 and I'm disturbed
    >> with KDE 4.

    > Like anything brand new, it kinda bites until you get used to it.
    >
    > First thing is set start button property back to KDE 3.x look and feel.
    >
    > Desktop plasmoid kinda useless except for creating your desktop
    > shortcuts, setting their preferences, then dragging them onto the
    > desktop like you had them in KDE3.
    >
    > Cannot not set background separately for each desktop is pretty poor.
    >
    > Amazed if they are going to keep to scheduled release dates:
    > http://wiki.mandriva.com/en/2009.0_Development
    >
    > Notes and errata are a little sparse considering bug reports.
    > http://wiki.mandriva.com/en/2009.0_Errata
    > http://wiki.mandriva.com/en/2009.0_Notes

    KDE 4.1.1 is even unstable here. The wall desktop crash and I get a white
    screen. When I click on the menu button, same thing can happen. I read in
    another newsgroup about a probable nvidia bug. No problem in Gnome.
    (Fresh install, new disk partitions, ..)

    One of the Mandrivaclub contributor will apparently provide a KDE 3.5.10 CD.
    Saw this in the Mandriva cooker mailing list. Thanks to him.

  5. Re: Mandriva 2009.0 and KDE 4

    On Thu, 25 Sep 2008 22:48:19 +0200, Amrein-Marie Christophe wrote:

    > KDE 4.1.1 is even unstable here. The wall desktop crash and I get a white
    > screen. When I click on the menu button, same thing can happen. I read in
    > another newsgroup about a probable nvidia bug. No problem in Gnome.
    > (Fresh install, new disk partitions, ..)

    Dang, since I have been playing in VirtualBox I had not considered if
    2009.0 might not like running in the real world. :-/

  6. Re: Mandriva 2009.0 and KDE 4

    Patrick Phillips wrote:

    > Amrein-Marie Christophe wrote:
    >

    >> Hi
    >>
    >> What do you think of KDE 4.1.1 ? I always used KDE 3 and I'm
    >> disturbed with KDE 4.

    > Its not yet ready for everyday use IMO, if it doesn't come with
    > or have 3.5.9 or 10 easily available to install...its off to
    > Gnome I go.

    I have installed using the DVD not the limited-size live CD and
    KDE3 was also installed when I selected KDE (Gnome etc also
    available of course). So it is easily available.

    HTH
    Syd

  7. Re: Mandriva 2009.0 and KDE 4

    On Fri, 26 Sep 2008 05:45:38 +0100
    Syd wrote:

    > I have installed using the DVD not the limited-size live CD and
    > KDE3 was also installed when I selected KDE (Gnome etc also
    > available of course). So it is easily available.

    Yes this time, but Mandriva, OpenSuse, Kubuntu, and other KDE
    distro's have said this will be last KDE3 that will be included
    with or made available to in repo's, I'm sure some in the community
    will have 3.5...
    but I don't see what the big hurry is to go KDE4 when its not even
    complete with its own important app's yet they plan to include
    later.

    I'm done trying to boot todays Mandriva 2009 RC2 ONE-Live w/KDE4.4.1
    its locked up at the desktop 3 trys now, I'll just update Gnome One
    RC1 to RC2 with todays release of RC2 via --auto-select and then stay
    with Gnome, Gnome is very tolerable once getting used to it. ;-)

    --
    Patrick...at
    Latitude: 40.48*

  8. Re: Mandriva 2009.0 and KDE 4

    > What do you think of KDE 4.1.1 ? I always used KDE 3 and I'm disturbed
    > with KDE 4.

    I'm not satisfied by the MDV 2009 RC1:
    1- kde 4.1.1 is again only a devel, run too a way like_Win and forme it is
    again garbage;
    2- the installer is too poor: I need of the alphabetic list of the .rpm
    for a right selection, without it i install too garbage!

  9. Re: Mandriva 2009.0 and KDE 4

    On 26 Sep 2008 15:12:20 GMT, scassa15 wrote:

    > 2- the installer is too poor: I need of the alphabetic list of the .rpm
    > for a right selection, without it i install too garbage!

    I just finished 2009.0 RC2 install and the alphabetic/individual feature is not
    present. You can pick Custom to pick/unpick packages in the package groups.

    --
    http://uncyclopedia.org/wiki/Microsoft

  10. Re: Mandriva 2009.0 and KDE 4

    Amrein-Marie Christophe wrote:

    > Hi
    >
    > What do you think of KDE 4.1.1 ? I always used KDE 3 and I'm disturbed
    > with KDE 4.

    Hello,

    I'm not sure, but I'm afraid people in this forum don't want to know what I
    think about KDE4... Really not!

    I tested OpenSuSE 11.0 with KDE 4.0.xxx and I didn't see any difference with
    KDE 4.1.xxx slammed within 2009.0 RC1.

    I only hope that the thinking dreamers from the MDV team are intelligent
    enough to cancel KDE4 from 2009.0 official and give us KDE 3.5.xxx back...

    As a comparison: M$ vista is bull$hit and KDE4 is even worse (and it is only
    a graphical environnement)... And that is expressed smoothly.

    The KDE folks should be ashamed to take us as testers for such an unstable
    masterpiece of junk!

    Ciao @+

  11. Re: Mandriva 2009.0 and KDE 4

    Amrein-Marie Christophe wrote:

    > Bit Twister wrote:
    >
    >> On Thu, 25 Sep 2008 17:50:43 +0200, Amrein-Marie Christophe wrote:
    >>
    >>> What do you think of KDE 4.1.1 ? I always used KDE 3 and I'm disturbed
    >>> with KDE 4.

    >> Like anything brand new, it kinda bites until you get used to it.
    >>
    >> First thing is set start button property back to KDE 3.x look and feel.
    >>

    >> Desktop plasmoid kinda useless except for creating your desktop
    >> shortcuts, setting their preferences, then dragging them onto the
    >> desktop like you had them in KDE3.
    >>
    >> Cannot not set background separately for each desktop is pretty poor.
    >>
    >> Amazed if they are going to keep to scheduled release dates:
    >> http://wiki.mandriva.com/en/2009.0_Development
    >>
    >> Notes and errata are a little sparse considering bug reports.
    >> http://wiki.mandriva.com/en/2009.0_Errata
    >> http://wiki.mandriva.com/en/2009.0_Notes

    > KDE 4.1.1 is even unstable here. The wall desktop crash and I get a white
    > screen. When I click on the menu button, same thing can happen. I read in
    > another newsgroup about a probable nvidia bug. No problem in Gnome.
    > (Fresh install, new disk partitions, ..)
    >
    > One of the Mandrivaclub contributor will apparently provide a KDE 3.5.10
    > CD. Saw this in the Mandriva cooker mailing list. Thanks to him.

    Hello,

    The white screen in KDE4 is the pendant of the M$ blue screen.

    The advantage of picking up SuSE 11.0 is that there is a choice between
    Gnome KDE3.5 and KDE4 at install time.

    Ciao @+

  12. Re: Mandriva 2009.0 and KDE 4

    Bit Twister wrote:

    > On Thu, 25 Sep 2008 17:50:43 +0200, Amrein-Marie Christophe wrote:
    >
    >> What do you think of KDE 4.1.1 ? I always used KDE 3 and I'm disturbed
    >> with KDE 4.

    > Like anything brand new, it kinda bites until you get used to it.
    >
    > First thing is set start button property back to KDE 3.x look and feel.
    >
    > Desktop plasmoid kinda useless except for creating your desktop
    > shortcuts, setting their preferences, then dragging them onto the
    > desktop like you had them in KDE3.
    >
    > Cannot not set background separately for each desktop is pretty poor.
    >
    > Amazed if they are going to keep to scheduled release dates:
    > http://wiki.mandriva.com/en/2009.0_Development
    >
    > Notes and errata are a little sparse considering bug reports.
    > http://wiki.mandriva.com/en/2009.0_Errata
    > http://wiki.mandriva.com/en/2009.0_Notes

    Hello,

    Did you overlook the little link to the KDE4 errata?

    Oh sorry... I could not resist...

    Have a nice W-E!

    Ciao @+

  13. Re: Mandriva 2009.0 and KDE 4

    Amrein-Marie Christophe wrote:

    > Hi
    >
    > What do you think of KDE 4.1.1 ? I always used KDE 3 and I'm disturbed
    > with KDE 4.

    I am running up 2009.0 rc2 on a 20GB EEE PC901 with KDE 4.1.1 while my
    desktop is running 2008.1 with KDE 3.5.9.

    From a practical point of view KDE4 is hard work at the moment but it has
    grown on me. It certainly suits the little netbook. I'm not sure that I
    will like it on the desktop as I like the 'classical' columns of icons on
    my desktops.

+ Reply to Thread