konqueror question - Mandriva

This is a discussion on konqueror question - Mandriva ; Why does konqueror go to earthlink when it cant get a response from a page? I noticed this after i re-installed 2008.1 x86_64 Thanks Eric...

  1. konqueror question

    Why does konqueror go to earthlink when it cant get a response from a page?
    I noticed this after i re-installed 2008.1 x86_64
    Thanks
    Eric

  2. Re: konqueror question

    On Wed, 24 Sep 2008 16:02:54 -0700, Eric wrote:
    > Why does konqueror go to earthlink when it cant get a response from a page?

    I'll guess the DNS nameservers you are using are providing that "Feature"
    Some ISP have started doing that to increase ad revenue.

  3. Re: konqueror question

    Bit Twister wrote:

    > On Wed, 24 Sep 2008 16:02:54 -0700, Eric wrote:
    >> Why does konqueror go to earthlink when it cant get a response from a
    >> page?

    > I'll guess the DNS nameservers you are using are providing that "Feature"
    > Some ISP have started doing that to increase ad revenue.

    ok, thanks. I guess there's no way to remedy that then since its in the
    nameservers hands, unless... i suppose i could find a different nameserver
    ip to use
    Eric

  4. Re: konqueror question

    On Wed, 24 Sep 2008 16:35:16 -0700, Eric wrote:
    > Bit Twister wrote:

    >> I'll guess the DNS nameservers you are using are providing that "Feature"
    >> Some ISP have started doing that to increase ad revenue.

    > ok, thanks. I guess there's no way to remedy that then since its in the
    > nameservers hands, unless... i suppose i could find a different nameserver
    > ip to use

    I had switched from verizon's servers for the same reason.
    I use opendns.org free servers. I see the same kind of thing there but
    at least I will trust their servers over verizon's since opendsn runs
    theirs as a business.

  5. Re: konqueror question

    On 2008-09-24, Bit Twister wrote:
    > On Wed, 24 Sep 2008 16:35:16 -0700, Eric wrote:
    >> Bit Twister wrote:

    >>> I'll guess the DNS nameservers you are using are providing that "Feature"
    >>> Some ISP have started doing that to increase ad revenue.

    >> ok, thanks. I guess there's no way to remedy that then since its in the
    >> nameservers hands, unless... i suppose i could find a different nameserver
    >> ip to use

    > I had switched from verizon's servers for the same reason.
    > I use opendns.org free servers. I see the same kind of thing there but
    > at least I will trust their servers over verizon's since opendsn runs
    > theirs as a business.

    At least with Verizon, there is an option to opt out of the
    "assistance" for failed DNS lookups. Basically, you set
    your systems to use different DNS servers. I think the
    difference is the last octet in the IP address is 12 rather
    than 14.

    Editorial comment: In the old days, being an ISP implied
    providing Usenet news servers, DNS, and a bunch of other
    things along with packet forwarding. Now, in addition to
    paying an "ISP", we're having to find Usenet news services
    elsewhere, find DNS elsewhere, etc. When the "ISP"s
    eventually require their customers to go elsewhere to find a
    service that will forward their packets to the intended
    destination, how much will the "ISP" still charge (for doing
    nothing)?

    --
    Robert Riches
    spamtrap42@verizon.net

  6. Re: konqueror question

    Eric wrote:

    > Why does konqueror go to earthlink when it cant get a response from a
    > page? I noticed this after i re-installed 2008.1 x86_64

    Check with Earthlink, most of the other ISP's that have begun using their
    own error pages with adverts by default also have a opt-out page with
    settings needed to switch. It may even be on the error pages if you look
    real close?
    --
    Patrick...at
    Latitude: 40.48*

  7. Re: [OT] konqueror question

    On 25 Sep 2008 03:56:08 GMT, Robert Riches wrote:

    > At least with Verizon, there is an option to opt out of the
    > "assistance" for failed DNS lookups. Basically, you set
    > your systems to use different DNS servers.

    Yep, found out about that when it first came out, changed the last
    octet in the router. Lasted about a week before they change the octet
    back. Permanent solution, set opendns dns in my resolver.

  8. Re: [OT] konqueror question

    On 2008-09-25, Bit Twister wrote:
    > On 25 Sep 2008 03:56:08 GMT, Robert Riches wrote:
    >
    >> At least with Verizon, there is an option to opt out of the
    >> "assistance" for failed DNS lookups. Basically, you set
    >> your systems to use different DNS servers.

    > Yep, found out about that when it first came out, changed the last
    > octet in the router. Lasted about a week before they change the octet
    > back. Permanent solution, set opendns dns in my resolver.

    After hearing about DNS poisoning of router/NAT boxes, I
    decided to run named alias bind on each Linux machine and
    put the .14 DNS servers in /etc/resolv.conf. Verizon has
    yet to change my /etc/resolv.conf files. :-)

    --
    Robert Riches
    spamtrap42@verizon.net

  9. Re: konqueror question

    Patrick Phillips wrote:

    > Eric wrote:
    >
    >> Why does konqueror go to earthlink when it cant get a response from a
    >> page? I noticed this after i re-installed 2008.1 x86_64

    > Check with Earthlink, most of the other ISP's that have begun using their
    > own error pages with adverts by default also have a opt-out page with
    > settings needed to switch. It may even be on the error pages if you look
    > real close?

    Yeh, except i am on comcast not earthlink. Maybe they have 'an agreement'

  10. Re: konqueror question

    On Fri, 26 Sep 2008 01:31:04 -0700
    Eric wrote:

    > Yea, except i am on comcast not earthlink. Maybe they have 'an
    > agreement'

    I don't know if Comcast has a opt-out but here with Verizon we do,
    it just involves changing to a different DNS server owned by your ISP,
    or what some have did is change to OpenDNS they are free, always fast,
    and easy to use.

    --
    Patrick...at
    Latitude: 40.48*

  11. Re: konqueror question

    On Fri, 26 Sep 2008 01:31:04 -0700, Eric wrote:
    > Patrick Phillips wrote:
    >> Eric wrote:
    >>
    >>> Why does konqueror go to earthlink when it cant get a response from a
    >>> page? I noticed this after i re-installed 2008.1 x86_64

    >> Check with Earthlink, most of the other ISP's that have begun using their
    >> own error pages with adverts by default also have a opt-out page with
    >> settings needed to switch. It may even be on the error pages if you look
    >> real close?

    > Yeh, except i am on comcast not earthlink. Maybe they have 'an agreement'

    $ cat /etc/resolv.conf
    search IBMPEERS

    # QWEST.......
    nameserver 205.171.2.65
    nameserver 205.171.3.65

    # LEVEL 3
    # nameserver 4.2.2.1
    # nameserver 4.2.2.4

    $

    Use ping or traceroute to determine which path(s) are best for you.
    I've been using this ever since moving here and being stuck with Comcast
    for interet access. Prior to that, I was stuck with Qwest DSL for
    better-than-dial-up access, and the LEVEL 3 DN servers worked best.
    All-in-all, I think It's A Good Thing that your ISP can't log your
    domain name lookup activity.

    Alternately, Googling for [ip resolver OR "domain name server"] may lead
    you to other, better choices.

    HTH
    Jonesy
    --
    Marvin L Jones | jonz | W3DHJ | linux

  12. Re: konqueror question

    Allodoxaphobia wrote:

    > On Fri, 26 Sep 2008 01:31:04 -0700, Eric wrote:
    >> Patrick Phillips wrote:

    >>> Check with Earthlink, most of the other ISP's that have begun using
    >>> their own error pages with adverts by default also have a opt-out page
    >>> with settings needed to switch. It may even be on the error pages if you
    >>> look real close?

    >> Yeh, except i am on comcast not earthlink. Maybe they have 'an agreement'

    > $ cat /etc/resolv.conf
    > search IBMPEERS
    >
    > # QWEST.......
    > nameserver 205.171.2.65
    > nameserver 205.171.3.65
    >
    > # LEVEL 3
    > # nameserver 4.2.2.1
    > # nameserver 4.2.2.4
    >
    > $
    >
    > Use ping or traceroute to determine which path(s) are best for you.
    > I've been using this ever since moving here and being stuck with Comcast
    > for interet access. Prior to that, I was stuck with Qwest DSL for
    > better-than-dial-up access, and the LEVEL 3 DN servers worked best.
    > All-in-all, I think It's A Good Thing that your ISP can't log your
    > domain name lookup activity.
    >
    > Alternately, Googling for [ip resolver OR "domain name server"] may lead
    > you to other, better choices.
    >
    > HTH
    > Jonesy

    Excellent! that fixes that problem :-)