Trying to install vmware-server on 2009.0 - Mandriva

This is a discussion on Trying to install vmware-server on 2009.0 - Mandriva ; I have never had a problem getting vmware server to install before but this one is sticking. The 'sticking' is when I it asks for the kernel headers. I thought I had both the headers and the source installed for ...

  1. Trying to install vmware-server on 2009.0

    I have never had a problem getting vmware server to install before but this
    one is sticking. The 'sticking' is when I it asks for the kernel headers.

    I thought I had both the headers and the source installed for the current
    running kernel, yet when the install program gets to the point of
    confirming their location, prompting with [/usr/src/linux/include], it
    cannot find them. If I change it to /usr/src/linux it remains unhappy.

    I guessed that this might be a symbolic link issue. However as I was
    rebooting I was surprised to see that the system thought it was on system
    with a dual processor i.e i686.

    The running kernel reported by uname is: 2.6.27-desktop-0-rc6.5.1mnb
    The source installed was: kernel-source-2.6.27-0.rc6.5.1mnb-1-1mnb2.i586

    On reflection, I seem to recall having to re-compile some of the kernels to
    ensure compatibility. Would that be a wasted effort now, given that this is
    only a release candidate?

  2. Re: Trying to install vmware-server on 2009.0

    Alan Secker wrote:

    > I have never had a problem getting vmware server to install before but
    > this one is sticking. The 'sticking' is when I it asks for the kernel
    > headers.
    >
    > I thought I had both the headers and the source installed for the current
    > running kernel, yet when the install program gets to the point of
    > confirming their location, prompting with [/usr/src/linux/include], it
    > cannot find them. If I change it to /usr/src/linux it remains unhappy.
    >
    > I guessed that this might be a symbolic link issue. However as I was
    > rebooting I was surprised to see that the system thought it was on system
    > with a dual processor i.e i686.
    >
    > The running kernel reported by uname is: 2.6.27-desktop-0-rc6.5.1mnb
    > The source installed was: kernel-source-2.6.27-0.rc6.5.1mnb-1-1mnb2.i586
    >
    > On reflection, I seem to recall having to re-compile some of the kernels
    > to ensure compatibility. Would that be a wasted effort now, given that
    > this is only a release candidate?

    You need kernel-desktop-devel for your running kernel in order to compile
    third-party modules, not kernel-source (which is intended only for
    re-compiling the kernel).

    jim

  3. Re: Trying to install vmware-server on 2009.0

    Alan Secker wrote:

    > I have never had a problem getting vmware server to install before but
    > this one is sticking. The 'sticking' is when I it asks for the kernel
    > headers.
    >
    > I thought I had both the headers and the source installed for the current
    > running kernel, yet when the install program gets to the point of
    > confirming their location, prompting with [/usr/src/linux/include], it
    > cannot find them. If I change it to /usr/src/linux it remains unhappy.
    >
    > I guessed that this might be a symbolic link issue. However as I was
    > rebooting I was surprised to see that the system thought it was on system
    > with a dual processor i.e i686.
    >
    > The running kernel reported by uname is: 2.6.27-desktop-0-rc6.5.1mnb
    > The source installed was: kernel-source-2.6.27-0.rc6.5.1mnb-1-1mnb2.i586
    >
    > On reflection, I seem to recall having to re-compile some of the kernels
    > to ensure compatibility. Would that be a wasted effort now, given that
    > this is only a release candidate?

    The kernel-source needs to be configured and at least one "make prepare"
    should have been issued. You may use the corresponding -devel rpm instead.

  4. Re: Trying to install vmware-server on 2009.0

    James Kerr wrote:

    > Alan Secker wrote:
    >
    >> I have never had a problem getting vmware server to install before but
    >> this one is sticking. The 'sticking' is when I it asks for the kernel
    >> headers.
    >>
    >> I thought I had both the headers and the source installed for the current
    >> running kernel, yet when the install program gets to the point of
    >> confirming their location, prompting with [/usr/src/linux/include], it
    >> cannot find them. If I change it to /usr/src/linux it remains unhappy.
    >>
    >> I guessed that this might be a symbolic link issue. However as I was
    >> rebooting I was surprised to see that the system thought it was on system
    >> with a dual processor i.e i686.
    >>
    >> The running kernel reported by uname is: 2.6.27-desktop-0-rc6.5.1mnb
    >> The source installed was: kernel-source-2.6.27-0.rc6.5.1mnb-1-1mnb2.i586
    >>
    >> On reflection, I seem to recall having to re-compile some of the kernels
    >> to ensure compatibility. Would that be a wasted effort now, given that
    >> this is only a release candidate?

    > You need kernel-desktop-devel for your running kernel in order to compile
    > third-party modules, not kernel-source (which is intended only for
    > re-compiling the kernel).
    >
    > jim

    Thank you both. Very helpful.

    Regards

    Alan

  5. Re: Trying to install vmware-server on 2009.0

    Alan Secker wrote:

    > I have never had a problem getting vmware server to install before but
    > this one is sticking. The 'sticking' is when I it asks for the kernel
    > headers.
    >
    > I thought I had both the headers and the source installed for the current

    //

    Well, it worked up to a point but then hit insuperable problems. If it isn't too much trouble, I would appreciate an opinion (or two)1

    root/tmp/vmware-config0/vmmon-only/./include/compat_semaphore.h:5:27: error: asm/semaphore.h: No such file or directory
    /root/tmp/vmware-config0/vmmon-only/linux/driver.c:146: error: unknown field ‘nopage’ specified in initializer
    /root/tmp/vmware-config0/vmmon-only/linux/driver.c:147: warning: initialization from incompatible pointer type
    /root/tmp/vmware-config0/vmmon-only/linux/driver.c:150: error: unknown field ‘nopage’ specified in initializer
    /root/tmp/vmware-config0/vmmon-only/linux/driver.c:151: warning: initialization from incompatible pointertype
    /root/tmp/vmware-config0/vmmon-only/linux/driver.c: In function ‘LinuxDriver_Ioctl’:
    /root/tmp/vmware-config0/vmmon-only/linux/driver.c:1670: error: too many arguments to function ‘smp_call_function’
    make[2]: *** [/root/tmp/vmware-config0/vmmon-only/linux/driver.o] Error 1
    make[1]: *** [_module_/root/tmp/vmware-config0/vmmon-only] Error 2
    make[1]: Leaving directory `/usr/src/linux-2.6.27-desktop-0.rc7.1.1mnb'
    make: *** [vmmon.ko] Error 2
    make: Leaving directory `/root/tmp/vmware-config0/vmmon-only'
    Unable to build the vmmon module.

    For more information on how to troubleshoot module-related problems, please
    visit our Web site at "http://www.vmware.com/download/modules/modules.html" and
    "http://www.vmware.com/support/reference/linux/prebuilt_modules_linux.html".

    Execution aborted.

  6. Re: Trying to install vmware-server on 2009.0

    Alan Secker wrote:

    > Alan Secker wrote:
    >
    >> I have never had a problem getting vmware server to install before but
    >> this one is sticking. The 'sticking' is when I it asks for the kernel
    >> headers.
    >>
    >> I thought I had both the headers and the source installed for the current

    > //
    >
    > Well, it worked up to a point but then hit insuperable problems. If it
    > isn't too much trouble, I would appreciate an opinion (or two)1
    >
    > root/tmp/vmware-config0/vmmon-only/./include/compat_semaphore.h:5:27:
    > error: asm/semaphore.h: No such file or directory

    Which version of vmware did you try to install?
    If it's the 1.07, you may have to lookup the latest vmware-any-any patch.
    Well, I have vmware here as well, but with a self-compiled 2.6.25 kernel
    which is really stable.

  7. Re: Trying to install vmware-server on 2009.0

    wisdomkiller & pain wrote:

    > Alan Secker wrote:
    >
    >> Alan Secker wrote:
    >>
    >>> I have never had a problem getting vmware server to install before but
    >>> this one is sticking. The 'sticking' is when I it asks for the kernel
    >>> headers.
    >>>
    >>> I thought I had both the headers and the source installed for the
    >>> current

    >> //
    >>
    >> Well, it worked up to a point but then hit insuperable problems. If it
    >> isn't too much trouble, I would appreciate an opinion (or two)1
    >>
    >> root/tmp/vmware-config0/vmmon-only/./include/compat_semaphore.h:5:27:
    >> error: asm/semaphore.h: No such file or directory

    > Which version of vmware did you try to install?
    > If it's the 1.07, you may have to lookup the latest vmware-any-any patch.
    > Well, I have vmware here as well, but with a self-compiled 2.6.25 kernel
    > which is really stable.

    Yes it was 1.0.7 but having the correct files available (source, headers et
    al) stilled caused errors. An attempt at recompiling went the same way. I
    downloaded rc2 last night. I intend installing that first. It might prove to
    be a better environment.

    Regards

    Alan

+ Reply to Thread