w1_bus_master query - Mandriva

This is a discussion on w1_bus_master query - Mandriva ; Mandriva 2008.0 on desktop: Can someone tell me what the process "w1_bus_master1" does? Ksysguard tells me that every 10 seconds or so it adsorbs 38% of system process time for 3 seconds or so, and this coincides with short interruptions ...

  1. w1_bus_master query

    Mandriva 2008.0 on desktop:
    Can someone tell me what the process "w1_bus_master1" does? Ksysguard
    tells me that every 10 seconds or so it adsorbs 38% of system process
    time for 3 seconds or so, and this coincides with short interruptions in
    the playback of internet radio, mouse movements and other activities.
    Very annoying, and only recently started. It does not happen on 2008.0
    installed on a laptop.
    Thanks
    Grimble

  2. Re: w1_bus_master query

    On Mon, 22 Sep 2008 11:38:03 -0400, Grimble wrote:

    > Can someone tell me what the process "w1_bus_master1" does? Ksysguard

    See http://howto.wikia.com/wiki/Howto_co...nel/drivers/w1

    Google turns up quite a few problems related to dallas 1 wire modules,
    such as http://www.redhat.com/archives/rhl-l.../msg00059.html

    Try running (as root), "rmmod matrox_w1" (or witchever w1 module you have).
    This may stop lm_sensors from being able to read the cpu/system temp.

    Regards, Dave Hodgins

  3. Re: w1_bus_master query

    David W. Hodgins wrote:
    > On Mon, 22 Sep 2008 11:38:03 -0400, Grimble wrote:
    >
    >> Can someone tell me what the process "w1_bus_master1" does? Ksysguard

    > See http://howto.wikia.com/wiki/Howto_co...nel/drivers/w1
    >
    > Google turns up quite a few problems related to dallas 1 wire modules,
    > such as http://www.redhat.com/archives/rhl-l.../msg00059.html
    >
    > Try running (as root), "rmmod matrox_w1" (or witchever w1 module you have).
    > This may stop lm_sensors from being able to read the cpu/system temp.
    >
    > Regards, Dave Hodgins

    Dave, thanks for that. I can't imagine why I didn't connect the w1_ part
    of the name with the 1-wire thingy I'd recently installed. So, removed
    the DS2490 module, and sure enough the problem disappeared.
    Now I'm faced with finding a new version of the DS2490 that doesn't
    interfere, or lay out 25 and buy an RS232 1-wire interface.
    What's funny peculiar is that I didn't have the problem on the laptop
    which had 2008.0 loaded from the same DVD.
    Regards
    Grimble

+ Reply to Thread