Looking for QtGui/QPlainTextEdit - Mandriva

This is a discussion on Looking for QtGui/QPlainTextEdit - Mandriva ; I am compiling a new version of a music notation program which uses Qt4 and QtGui. "make" complains that it can't find QPlainTextEdit. From what I can discover, it is a part of Qt4, and possibly in the QtGui packages, ...

  1. Looking for QtGui/QPlainTextEdit

    I am compiling a new version of a music notation program which uses Qt4 and
    QtGui. "make" complains that it can't find QPlainTextEdit. From what I
    can discover, it is a part of Qt4, and possibly in the QtGui packages, but
    I can't find on my system or in the Mandriva repositories. The build
    system uses cmake, and a Makefile is provided.

    Any help appreciated.

    TIA,

    Doug.

  2. Re: Looking for QtGui/QPlainTextEdit

    On Monday 22 September 2008 06:38, someone identifying as *Doug Laidlaw*
    wrote in /alt.os.linux.mandriva:/

    > I am compiling a new version of a music notation program which uses Qt4
    > and
    > QtGui. "make" complains that it can't find QPlainTextEdit. From what I
    > can discover, it is a part of Qt4, and possibly in the QtGui packages, but
    > I can't find on my system or in the Mandriva repositories. The build
    > system uses cmake, and a Makefile is provided.
    >
    > Any help appreciated.

    Just a wild guess, but did you try setting the /QT=/ or /QT4=/ variables to
    the proper directory before issuing the /make?/ Some Qt programs are
    sensitive to that and won't build properly unless the variables are set.

    Like I said, just a wild guess, though... ;-)

    --
    *Aragorn*
    (registered GNU/Linux user #223157)

  3. Re: Looking for QtGui/QPlainTextEdit

    On Monday 22 September 2008 08:01, someone identifying as *Aragorn* wrote
    in /alt.os.linux.mandriva:/

    > On Monday 22 September 2008 06:38, someone identifying as *Doug Laidlaw*
    > wrote in /alt.os.linux.mandriva:/
    >
    >> I am compiling a new version of a music notation program which uses Qt4
    >> and QtGui. "make" complains that it can't find QPlainTextEdit. From
    >> what I can discover, it is a part of Qt4, and possibly in the QtGui
    >> packages, but I can't find on my system or in the Mandriva repositories.
    >> The build system uses cmake, and a Makefile is provided.
    >>
    >> Any help appreciated.

    > Just a wild guess, but did you try setting the /QT=/ or /QT4=/ variables
    > to the proper directory before issuing the /make?/ Some Qt programs are
    > sensitive to that and won't build properly unless the variables are set.
    >
    > Like I said, just a wild guess, though... ;-)

    Addendum: it could be that you may need to set /QTDIR,/ /QT4DIR,/ /QT4HOME/
    or something of the likes... Normally the /README/ should have the proper
    information. ;-)

    --
    *Aragorn*
    (registered GNU/Linux user #223157)

  4. Re: Looking for QtGui/QPlainTextEdit

    Aragorn wrote:

    > On Monday 22 September 2008 08:01, someone identifying as *Aragorn* wrote
    > in /alt.os.linux.mandriva:/
    >
    >> On Monday 22 September 2008 06:38, someone identifying as *Doug Laidlaw*
    >> wrote in /alt.os.linux.mandriva:/
    >>
    >>> I am compiling a new version of a music notation program which uses Qt4
    >>> and QtGui. "make" complains that it can't find QPlainTextEdit. From
    >>> what I can discover, it is a part of Qt4, and possibly in the QtGui
    >>> packages, but I can't find on my system or in the Mandriva repositories.
    >>> The build system uses cmake, and a Makefile is provided.
    >>>
    >>> Any help appreciated.

    >> Just a wild guess, but did you try setting the /QT=/ or /QT4=/ variables
    >> to the proper directory before issuing the /make?/ Some Qt programs are
    >> sensitive to that and won't build properly unless the variables are set.
    >>
    >> Like I said, just a wild guess, though... ;-)

    > Addendum: it could be that you may need to set /QTDIR,/ /QT4DIR,/
    > /QT4HOME/
    > or something of the likes... Normally the /README/ should have the proper
    > information. ;-)

    Thanks, but the file isn't installed. It isn't in the RPM file lists or on
    my computer.

    The previous release compiled O.K., sounds like an approach to the developer
    is required.

    Doug.

  5. Re: Looking for QtGui/QPlainTextEdit

    On Mon, 22 Sep 2008 00:38:37 -0400, Doug Laidlaw wrote:

    > I am compiling a new version of a music notation program which uses Qt4 and
    > QtGui. "make" complains that it can't find QPlainTextEdit. From what I
    > can discover, it is a part of Qt4, and possibly in the QtGui packages, but
    > I can't find on my system or in the Mandriva repositories. The build

    Have you installed the qt4 devel rpms?

    libavahi-qt4-devel
    libpoppler-qt4-devel
    libqscintilla-qt4-devel
    libqt4-devel
    libqt4-static-devel
    lsb-build-qt4-devel
    python-qt4-devel

    Regards, Dave Hodgins

  6. Re: Looking for QtGui/QPlainTextEdit

    Doug Laidlaw wrote:
    > Aragorn wrote:
    >
    >> On Monday 22 September 2008 08:01, someone identifying as *Aragorn* wrote
    >> in /alt.os.linux.mandriva:/

    >>> Just a wild guess, but did you try setting the /QT=/ or /QT4=/ variables
    >>> to the proper directory before issuing the /make?/ Some Qt programs are
    >>> sensitive to that and won't build properly unless the variables are set.
    >>>
    >>> Like I said, just a wild guess, though... ;-)

    >> Addendum: it could be that you may need to set /QTDIR,/ /QT4DIR,/
    >> /QT4HOME/
    >> or something of the likes... Normally the /README/ should have the proper
    >> information. ;-)
    >>

    > Thanks, but the file isn't installed. It isn't in the RPM file lists or on
    > my computer.

    The name QPlainTextEdit looks like a variable name rather than a
    filename. Go to the bins containing the QT and QT4 libraries and
    run
    grep QPlainTextEdit *
    See what you get, if anything.

    Cheers!

    jim b.

    --
    UNIX is not user unfriendly; it merely
    expects users to be computer-friendly.

  7. Re: Looking for QtGui/QPlainTextEdit

    David W. Hodgins wrote:

    > On Mon, 22 Sep 2008 00:38:37 -0400, Doug Laidlaw
    > wrote:
    >
    >> I am compiling a new version of a music notation program which uses Qt4
    >> and
    >> QtGui. "make" complains that it can't find QPlainTextEdit. From what I
    >> can discover, it is a part of Qt4, and possibly in the QtGui packages,
    >> but
    >> I can't find on my system or in the Mandriva repositories. The build

    > Have you installed the qt4 devel rpms?
    >
    > libavahi-qt4-devel
    > libpoppler-qt4-devel
    > libqscintilla-qt4-devel
    > libqt4-devel
    > libqt4-static-devel
    > lsb-build-qt4-devel
    > python-qt4-devel
    >
    > Regards, Dave Hodgins

    Installed libqt4-devel, libsip and libsip-devel. python-qt4-devel was
    missing, but it conflicts with sip, which is listed in the README as a
    dependency. python-qt4-devel's file listing does not contain the file I am
    looking for. The others seem to be for particular circumstances, but from
    recollection, some were dependencies of what I did install.

    The README warned me to install all -devel packages, and I knew that anyway.
    Something has changed in the current release of the program, so I suppose
    that I need to go back to its mailing list. The only reason why I posted
    here first, is that QPlainTextEdit got so many mentions on the Web,
    including an .so file, that it seems to be a fairly basic library.

    Doug.

  8. Re: Looking for QtGui/QPlainTextEdit

    On Mon, 22 Sep 2008 21:34:01 -0400, Doug Laidlaw wrote:

    > that I need to go back to its mailing list. The only reason why I posted
    > here first, is that QPlainTextEdit got so many mentions on the Web,
    > including an .so file, that it seems to be a fairly basic library.

    While /usr/lib/qt4/include/Qt/qplaintextedit.h does not exist in the current 2008.1
    version, libqt4-devel-4.3.4-6, it is found in the
    http://rpm.pbone.net/index.php3/stat...m.html#content

    I wouldn't be surprised if installing the newer version on 2008.1, requires
    updating all of the qt libraries from the kde repositories. First time I've
    found out that kde maintains it's own repositories, and has newer versions
    of packages specifically for versions of Mandriva.

    Regards, Dave Hodgins