Run out of space - Mandriva

This is a discussion on Run out of space - Mandriva ; I have run out of space on the main partition of my EEE PC901. This came with two solid state drives, sda and sdb. sda is internal and divided into two partitions: /dev/sda1 of 3.1G mounted as / /dev/sdb3 of ...

  1. Run out of space

    I have run out of space on the main partition of my EEE PC901.
    This came with two solid state drives, sda and sdb.

    sda is internal and divided into two partitions:
    /dev/sda1 of 3.1G mounted as /
    /dev/sdb3 of 7.9M mounted as /mnt/windows.

    sdb is 16Gb and is unused. It can be managed from Mandriva's local drive
    manager. I think the easiest course would be to migrate the directory /home
    to it.

    I don't know how to do this so these are my guesses:

    1) I need to prepare a filesystem on sdb but the drive manager wants a
    mount point first. What should I call it? If it doesn't matter and
    I can rename it after copying the content of the existing /home later
    on.
    2) On the EEE Mandriva 2009.0 only offers one type of filesystem- Linux
    Type. This is a bit odd as Mandriva wasn't customised for the EEE. In
    any event, I am not particularly put out by this as the machine will
    only have limited non-critical operations.
    3) Having complete the copy and deleted the the original /home. Rename
    the new partition a /home (How?)
    4) Edit fstab to identify the new partition.
    5) Check everything
    6) Pray.
    7) Reboot

    Can you guys fill in the gaps for me?

    As of now I cannot get past the login screen! So I have to resolve that
    before I even start!

  2. Re: Run out of space

    On Sat, 20 Sep 2008 21:40:57 +0100, Alan Secker wrote:
    > I have run out of space on the main partition of my EEE PC901.
    > This came with two solid state drives, sda and sdb.
    >
    > sda is internal and divided into two partitions:
    > /dev/sda1 of 3.1G mounted as /
    > /dev/sdb3 of 7.9M mounted as /mnt/windows.
    >
    > sdb is 16Gb and is unused.

    Hmmm, and yet you show us that you are using 7.9M on sdb.

    It can be managed from Mandriva's local drive
    > manager. I think the easiest course would be to migrate the directory /home
    > to it.

    Did /home take up that much space. ~3 gig is a pretty tight fit
    let alone needing space to download updateds from cooker.

    > I don't know how to do this so these are my guesses:
    >
    > 1) I need to prepare a filesystem on sdb but the drive manager wants a
    > mount point first. What should I call it?

    /home_new

    > If it doesn't matter and
    > I can rename it after copying the content of the existing /home later
    > on.

    Yep.

    > 2) On the EEE Mandriva 2009.0 only offers one type of filesystem- Linux
    > Type. This is a bit odd as Mandriva wasn't customised for the EEE. In
    > any event, I am not particularly put out by this as the machine will
    > only have limited non-critical operations.

    Yes, that is quit odd. I just checked, again, and 2009.0 allowed me to
    pick from a few file systems.

    > 5) Check everything

    Twice

    > 3) Having complete the copy and deleted the the original /home. Rename
    > the new partition a /home (How?)

    mv /home /home_old
    umount /home_new

    > 4) Edit fstab to identify the new partition.

    mv /home_new /home
    mount /home

    > 6) Pray.
    > 7) Reboot

    Yup.

    > fill in the gaps.

    I suggest backup, verify backups, decide on a partition size/plan,
    format, reinstall.

    Alternate plan, install / on sdb with a ~10g / using custom during
    partition phase. Shuffle /home as above, remove sba /.

    PS: just did an update to 2009.0 cooker and Mandrake Control Center
    will not launch. I did test disk partitioning using diskdrake.

  3. Re: Run out of space

    Bit Twister wrote:

    > On Sat, 20 Sep 2008 21:40:57 +0100, Alan Secker wrote:
    >> I have run out of space on the main partition of my EEE PC901.
    >> This came with two solid state drives, sda and sdb.
    >>
    >> sda is internal and divided into two partitions:
    >> /dev/sda1 of 3.1G mounted as /
    >> /dev/sdb3 of 7.9M mounted as /mnt/windows.

    Sorry that should have read /dev/sda3 of 7.9M mounted as /mnt/windows

    >> sdb is 16Gb and is unused.

    Alan

  4. Re: Run out of space

    Bit Twister wrote:

    > mv /home /home_old
    > umount /home_new
    >
    >> 4) Edit fstab to identify the new partition.

    Can I verify something please? I take the next line is
    dependant on the edited fstab, otherwise the mv command
    would not 'know' where /home was now located?

    > mv /home_new /home
    > mount /home

    If the answer i yes, then it all fall into place.

    Oh! I managed to get in with safe mode. Even started X a well.

    Thank you for your help.

    Regards

    Alan

  5. Re: Run out of space

    On Sat, 20 Sep 2008 22:28:33 +0100, Alan Secker wrote:
    > Bit Twister wrote:
    >

    >> mv /home /home_old
    >> umount /home_new
    >>
    >>> 4) Edit fstab to identify the new partition.

    > Can I verify something please?

    I guess so. :-)

    > I take the next line is dependant on the edited fstab,

    No. the second line does.

    > otherwise the mv command would not 'know' where /home was now located?

    If you can see the name, you can rename it.
    /home_new would be in / regardless if mounted or not.

    >> mv /home_new /home
    >> mount /home
    >>

    > If the answer i yes, then it all fall into place.

    Ok, I do not recommend renaming partitions while mounted.
    Since /home is in /, you cannot umount /home.
    If in the, single user mode, runlevel 1, safe mode, nobody would be using /home
    so renaming it should not be a problem.

    > Oh! I managed to get in with safe mode. Even started X a well.

    Guessing system is not on at 4am, you might want to

    cat /etc/crontab
    clickup a terminal
    su - root
    and do something like
    nice -n 19 run-parts --report /etc/cron.daily
    nice -n 19 run-parts --report /etc/cron.weekly
    exit

    That will/should compress your logs and give you a bit more space.
    Feel free to delete directories in /tmp when done.

  6. Re: Run out of space

    Alan Secker writes:

    >I have run out of space on the main partition of my EEE PC901.
    >This came with two solid state drives, sda and sdb.

    >sda is internal and divided into two partitions:
    >/dev/sda1 of 3.1G mounted as /
    >/dev/sdb3 of 7.9M mounted as /mnt/windows.

    >sdb is 16Gb and is unused. It can be managed from Mandriva's local drive

    You said above that /dev/sdb3 was 7.9M ((\?? did you mean 7.9G)

    >manager. I think the easiest course would be to migrate the directory /home
    >to it.

    Just do it.

    >I don't know how to do this so these are my guesses:

    >1) I need to prepare a filesystem on sdb but the drive manager wants a
    > mount point first. What should I call it? If it doesn't matter and
    > I can rename it after copying the content of the existing /home later
    > on.

    Yup.
    Call it /tmphome

    That is used by Mandriva to put a line into /etc/fstab. You can change that
    afterwards.

    >2) On the EEE Mandriva 2009.0 only offers one type of filesystem- Linux
    > Type. This is a bit odd as Mandriva wasn't customised for the EEE. In
    > any event, I am not particularly put out by this as the machine will
    > only have limited non-critical operations.

    2009.0 does not yet exist. Why in the world would you use an alpha version
    of a release?

    The Linux file system is fine. And you can change it using fdisk/cfdisk...
    afterwards if you really really want to.

    >3) Having complete the copy and deleted the the original /home. Rename
    > the new partition a /home (How?)

    Why delete it. Make sure everything is OK first
    mount /dev/sdb5 /home
    or whatever that partition is that you created.
    If you want and you logged on as root, you could unmount the original /home
    first
    umount /home
    mount /dev/sdb5 /home

    >4) Edit fstab to identify the new partition.
    >5) Check everything
    >6) Pray.
    >7) Reboot

    >Can you guys fill in the gaps for me?

    >As of now I cannot get past the login screen! So I have to resolve that
    >before I even start!

    No idea what this problem is.
    I always set my system on runlevel 3 so that X problems donot screw me up.
    Note that if you do it your way, you will log in as a user and not be able
    to unmount home, since it is in use by your login.
    do
    alt-ctrl-F2
    log in as root and do
    init 3
    Now you will be in run level 3. Log out as root and log back in as root and
    carry out the above.

  7. Re: Run out of space

    Bit Twister writes:

    >On Sat, 20 Sep 2008 21:40:57 +0100, Alan Secker wrote:
    >> I have run out of space on the main partition of my EEE PC901.
    >> This came with two solid state drives, sda and sdb.
    >>
    >> sda is internal and divided into two partitions:
    >> /dev/sda1 of 3.1G mounted as /
    >> /dev/sdb3 of 7.9M mounted as /mnt/windows.
    >>
    >> sdb is 16Gb and is unused.

    >Hmmm, and yet you show us that you are using 7.9M on sdb.

    > It can be managed from Mandriva's local drive
    >> manager. I think the easiest course would be to migrate the directory /home
    >> to it.

    >Did /home take up that much space. ~3 gig is a pretty tight fit
    >let alone needing space to download updateds from cooker.

    Actually on any of my machines, /usr/share is bigger than 3 GB

    >> I don't know how to do this so these are my guesses:
    >>
    >> 1) I need to prepare a filesystem on sdb but the drive manager wants a
    >> mount point first. What should I call it?

    >/home_new

    >> If it doesn't matter and
    >> I can rename it after copying the content of the existing /home later
    >> on.

    >Yep.

    >> 2) On the EEE Mandriva 2009.0 only offers one type of filesystem- Linux
    >> Type. This is a bit odd as Mandriva wasn't customised for the EEE. In
    >> any event, I am not particularly put out by this as the machine will
    >> only have limited non-critical operations.

    >Yes, that is quit odd. I just checked, again, and 2009.0 allowed me to
    >pick from a few file systems.

    >> 5) Check everything

    >Twice

    >> 3) Having complete the copy and deleted the the original /home. Rename
    >> the new partition a /home (How?)

    >mv /home /home_old
    >umount /home_new

    >> 4) Edit fstab to identify the new partition.

    >mv /home_new /home
    >mount /home

    >> 6) Pray.
    >> 7) Reboot

    >Yup.

    >> fill in the gaps.

    >I suggest backup, verify backups, decide on a partition size/plan,
    >format, reinstall.

    >Alternate plan, install / on sdb with a ~10g / using custom during
    >partition phase. Shuffle /home as above, remove sba /.

    >PS: just did an update to 2009.0 cooker and Mandrake Control Center
    >will not launch. I did test disk partitioning using diskdrake.

    Why are you using 2009.0?

  8. Re: Run out of space

    Alan Secker writes:

    >Bit Twister wrote:

    >> mv /home /home_old
    >> umount /home_new
    >>
    >>> 4) Edit fstab to identify the new partition.

    >Can I verify something please? I take the next line is
    >dependant on the edited fstab, otherwise the mv command
    >would not 'know' where /home was now located?

    No. /etc/fstab is simply a convenience, and /home is simply a directory
    name. All mv knows is that it is rename the directory now called /home to
    the name /home_old.

    >> mv /home_new /home
    >> mount /home
    >>

    >If the answer i yes, then it all fall into place.

    Yes. what? Nothing in here has anything to do with "answer yes"

    >Oh! I managed to get in with safe mode. Even started X a well.

    >Thank you for your help.

    >Regards

    >Alan

  9. Re: Run out of space

    On Sat, 20 Sep 2008 23:48:35 GMT, Unruh wrote:

    > Why are you using 2009.0?

    So I can test my "new install configuration scripts"
    and find out how much is not working or is not going to be working.

    Also learn how to get around in the new default desktop KDE 4.x

    So far all my dcop script calls are broke in the new dbus environment.

+ Reply to Thread