IRQ handling in the new kernels. - Mandriva

This is a discussion on IRQ handling in the new kernels. - Mandriva ; I have just installed Mandriva 2008.1 on one of my machines only to discover that they have totally changed the irq handling. I originally adapted a routine from the Linux Device Drivers book for using the parallel port interrupt to ...

  1. IRQ handling in the new kernels.

    I have just installed Mandriva 2008.1 on one of my machines only to
    discover that they have totally changed the irq handling. I originally
    adapted a routine from the Linux Device Drivers book for using the parallel
    port interrupt to trigger a time read, and deliver it via /dev/gps. Trying
    to compile that module for the 2.6.24 kernel I suddenly discover that the
    kernel interrupt handling routines and requirements have totally changed,
    The flags (eg SA_SHIRQ or SA_INTERRUPT) no longer exist, the routine
    request_irq has different arguments types, etc. What the *&&*&^

    Anyway where can I find out what to do to get my routine running again? Are
    these changes documented somewhere?

  2. Re: IRQ handling in the new kernels.

    On Fri, 19 Sep 2008 21:31:29 -0400, Unruh wrote:

    > to compile that module for the 2.6.24 kernel I suddenly discover that the
    > kernel interrupt handling routines and requirements have totally changed,
    > The flags (eg SA_SHIRQ or SA_INTERRUPT) no longer exist, the routine

    The current (minimal) documentation is in /usr/src/linux/Documentation/pci.txt,
    specifically section 3.6.

    Searching google for SA_SHIRQ and SA_INTERRUPT indicates they've been
    renamed to IRQF_SHARED and IRQF_DISABLED. I'm not clear on why they
    renamed them. I expect you'd have to search through the kernel developers
    mailing list, to figure out why.

    Regards, Dave Hodgins

  3. Re: IRQ handling in the new kernels.

    On Fri, 19 Sep 2008 21:31:29 -0400, Unruh wrote:

    > Anyway where can I find out what to do to get my routine running again? Are
    > these changes documented somewhere?

    Found some discussion about it at
    http://groups.google.ca/group/fa.lin...a877ea89b284bf

    Regards, Dave Hodgins