Configure the menu ? - Mandriva

This is a discussion on Configure the menu ? - Mandriva ; On Fri, 19 Sep 2008 15:21:08 -0700, leegold wrote: > Hi, > > Newbie question - > > There's the menu button at the bottom left panel. > > I want to configure what applications the menu shows and how ...

  1. Re: Configure the menu ?

    On Fri, 19 Sep 2008 15:21:08 -0700, leegold wrote:

    > Hi,
    >
    > Newbie question -
    >
    > There's the menu button at the bottom left panel.
    >
    > I want to configure what applications the menu shows and how it shows
    > it eg. I want to remove "most used applications" section and I want to
    > add more catagories of applications
    >
    > How do I configure the menu? I've been tooling around but can't find
    > where I can do this. Thanks.
    >
    > Lee G.
    >
    > KDE 3.59

    Right click on menu (star). Choose "Menu Editor".
    From the menu editor you can create "new item".
    provide name such as "favorite programs" or whatever.
    Drag favorite programs to the "favorite Programs' shortcut.
    Choose "save".
    Choose "Quit".
    You can move programs so they are more convenient in "menu editor".

    HTH

  2. Configure the menu ?

    Hi,

    Newbie question -

    There's the menu button at the bottom left panel.

    I want to configure what applications the menu shows and how it shows
    it eg. I want to remove "most used applications" section and I want to
    add more catagories of applications

    How do I configure the menu? I've been tooling around but can't find
    where I can do this. Thanks.

    Lee G.

    KDE 3.59

  3. Re: Configure the menu ?

    On Fri, 19 Sep 2008 15:21:08 -0700 (PDT), leegold wrote:

    > I want to configure what applications the menu shows and how it shows
    > it eg. I want to remove "most used applications" section and I want to
    > add more catagories of applications

    Right click the button and have at it.

    > How do I configure the menu? I've been tooling around but can't find
    > where I can do this. Thanks.

    Usually called KDE Control Center, or Control Center. Not System
    Control Center. Look around under Tools.

    Look under Security & Privacy-->Privacy in the KDE Control Center for
    your Recent Documents question.

  4. Re: Configure the menu ?

    On Fri, 19 Sep 2008 18:21:08 -0400, leegold wrote:

    > How do I configure the menu? I've been tooling around but can't find
    > where I can do this. Thanks.

    I would not recommend it. You can find some info on the menu system at
    http://wiki.mandriva.com/en/Developm.../XDGMenuSystem

    The menu entries are dynamically built from the .desktop files in various
    directories under /usr/share, by the update-menus command, which is run
    everytime you start kde or gnome. In my opinion, it's a rather convoluted
    mess.

    While you can update the .desktop files, any changes you make will be
    overwritten, when the package gets updated. You can also make some
    changes, by right clicking on the menu button, and selecting Menu
    Editor, but I think that's a leftover from before the switch to the
    xdg menu system, and wouldn't expect the changes to stay. I haven't
    tried it though.

    Regards, Dave Hodgins

  5. Re: Configure the menu ?

    Hi,

    How do I get rid of "most used applications" isection in the menu?

    I installed Kate but I don't see it anywhere, so it's not being
    "sensed" as a new application and being automatically added to the
    menu - thought it would be... How do I add Kate to the menu?

    Thanks

  6. Re: Configure the menu ?

    Hi,

    How do I get rid of "most used applications" isection in the menu?

    I installed Kate but I don't see it anywhere, so it's not being
    "sensed" as a new application and being automatically added to the
    menu - thought it would be... How do I add Kate to the menu?

    I don't see any hidden Kate configuration file in my /home.

    I installed it - I thought the install would take care of all this
    stuff...

  7. Re: Configure the menu ?

    On Saturday 20 September 2008 01:34, someone identifying as *leegold* wrote
    in /alt.os.linux.mandriva:/

    > Hi,
    >
    > How do I get rid of "most used applications" isection in the menu?

    Probably in the KDE Control Settings under "Look & Feel", or else by
    rightclicking the KDE panel menu button, as others have explained already.

    > I installed Kate but I don't see it anywhere, so it's not being
    > "sensed" as a new application and being automatically added to the
    > menu - thought it would be... How do I add Kate to the menu?

    Normally it should be set up automatically, but if it isn't, try
    running /update-menus/ from a commandline window - you must /su/ to root
    first if you want the menus updated systemwide - and if that doesn't work,
    try /kbuildsycoca/ (or /kbuildsyscoca4/ if you're running KDE 4.x).

    --
    *Aragorn*
    (registered GNU/Linux user #223157)

  8. Re: Configure the menu ?

    leegold wrote:

    > I installed Kate but I don't see it anywhere, so it's not being
    > "sensed" as a new application and being automatically added to the
    > menu - thought it would be... How do I add Kate to the menu?

    Look under Development / Tools. At least that's where it is on my system.

    Jim

+ Reply to Thread