Running SMART drive self-test - Mandriva

This is a discussion on Running SMART drive self-test - Mandriva ; Running the SMART (OFFLINE IMMEDIATE) hard drive test utility as su, does the Konsole have to remain running for the SMART test to complete, or can Konsole be shut down and started up another time to read the results? Is ...

  1. Running SMART drive self-test

    Running the SMART (OFFLINE IMMEDIATE) hard drive test utility as su, does
    the Konsole have to remain running for the SMART test to complete, or can
    Konsole be shut down and started up another time to read the results?

    Is it bad for the test if the drive under test gets used during the test?

  2. Re: Running SMART drive self-test

    On Thursday 18 September 2008 20:07, someone identifying as *Ar* wrote
    in /alt.os.linux.mandriva:/

    > Running the SMART (OFFLINE IMMEDIATE) hard drive test utility as su, does
    > the Konsole have to remain running for the SMART test to complete, or can
    > Konsole be shut down and started up another time to read the results?

    Shutting down Konsole means logging out of that session, so if you want to
    run something in the background and keep it running while you log out and
    then reconnect to it again later, use /screen/

    man screen

    .... for details.

    > Is it bad for the test if the drive under test gets used during the test?

    That depends on what the test is for. If it's a performance test, then of
    course usage of the disk will have an impact. If not, then I don't know.
    I would either way run such a test from single user maintenance mode
    instead, but your mileage may vary.

    Like they say, if all else fails, read the manual...

    --
    *Aragorn*
    (registered GNU/Linux user #223157)

  3. Re: Running SMART drive self-test

    Ar wrote:
    > Running the SMART (OFFLINE IMMEDIATE) hard drive test utility as su, does
    > the Konsole have to remain running for the SMART test to complete, or can
    > Konsole be shut down and started up another time to read the results?
    >
    > Is it bad for the test if the drive under test gets used during the test?

    If you are referring to this:

    smartctl -t long /dev/hda

    then the answer is no, you do not need to keep the console open. The
    offline tests run entirely inside the disk, independent of the system.
    In theory they do not interfere with the ongoing disk operations, but I
    have never actually tested that. The opposite is definitely not true, a
    very busy disk will take much longer than usual to complete the offline
    tests. When it completes check the status with:

    smartctl -a /dev/hda

    Regards,

    David Mathog

  4. Re: Running SMART drive self-test

    On Fri, 19 Sep 2008 10:01:14 -0700, David Mathog wrote:

    >> Is it bad for the test if the drive under test gets used during the
    >> test?

    > If you are referring to this:
    >
    > smartctl -t long /dev/hda
    >
    > then the answer is no, you do not need to keep the console open.

    I usually run the following command which due to drive size takes a long
    time to complete, don't like to use the quick test, it's not particular
    helpful.

    smartctl -t offline /dev/sda

    Thanks for yours and Aragorn's reply.

+ Reply to Thread