Fonts not working... - Mandriva

This is a discussion on Fonts not working... - Mandriva ; Hi, I need to open files which contain Tamil , Japanese and chinese font. I Installed the available ones through MCC but I still get garbled signs instead...Is there something else I have to do? Thanks, santo...

  1. Fonts not working...

    Hi,
    I need to open files which contain Tamil , Japanese and chinese font. I
    Installed the available ones through MCC but I still get garbled signs
    instead...Is there something else I have to do?
    Thanks,
    santo

  2. Re: Fonts not working...

    santo wrote:

    > Hi,
    > I need to open files which contain Tamil , Japanese and chinese font. I
    > Installed the available ones through MCC but I still get garbled signs
    > instead...Is there something else I have to do?
    > Thanks,
    > santo

    Which application? OOWriter? Kwrite?
    Doc files? OO files? ..

  3. Re: Fonts not working...

    santo wrote:
    > Hi,
    > I need to open files which contain Tamil , Japanese and chinese font. I
    > Installed the available ones through MCC but I still get garbled signs
    > instead...Is there something else I have to do?

    You have to be in an application that will handle the font.
    You may have to change a setting in the application, or for some
    terminal windows use the locale command and have a .i18n file
    in your home directory.

    If you use OpenOffice, you can install the language packages for it
    and use that. The Firefox browser also should display international
    locale character sets.

    Cheers!

    jim b.

    --
    UNIX is not user unfriendly; it merely
    expects users to be computer-friendly.

  4. Re: Fonts not working...

    Amrein-Marie Christophe wrote:

    > santo wrote:
    >
    >> Hi,
    >> I need to open files which contain Tamil , Japanese and chinese font. I
    >> Installed the available ones through MCC but I still get garbled signs
    >> instead...Is there something else I have to do?
    >> Thanks,
    >> santo

    > Which application? OOWriter? Kwrite?
    > Doc files? OO files? ..

    OO writer mainly...
    But I thought that also the web pages I browse should display those
    fonts...for Tamil which is the one I need, it definetly does not...

    santo

  5. Re: Fonts not working...

    Jim Beard wrote:

    > santo wrote:
    >> Hi,
    >> I need to open files which contain Tamil , Japanese and chinese font. I
    >> Installed the available ones through MCC but I still get garbled signs
    >> instead...Is there something else I have to do?

    > You have to be in an application that will handle the font.
    > You may have to change a setting in the application, or for some
    > terminal windows use the locale command and have a .i18n file
    > in your home directory.
    >
    > If you use OpenOffice, you can install the language packages for it
    > and use that. The Firefox browser also should display international
    > locale character sets.

    well I did install the language package Japanese in this case... but it does
    not display...neither in firefox nor in OOWriter...
    I do not have a .i18n in my /home and I do not know how to do it...

    This is a totally new area for me so I do not understand all you write

    santo

    > Cheers!
    >

    > jim b.

  6. Re: Fonts not working...

    On Fri, 19 Sep 2008 04:25:24 -0400, santo wrote:

    > well I did install the language package Japanese in this case... but it does
    > not display...neither in firefox nor in OOWriter...

    Depending on how you installed the fonts. (assuming they ended up somewhere
    under /usr/share/fonts, try running

    # cd /usr/share/fonts
    # find . -type d -exec mkfontscale {} \;
    # find . -type d -exec mkfontsdir {} \;
    # xset fp rehash

    Regards, Dave Hodgins

  7. Re: Fonts not working...

    santo wrote:
    > Jim Beard wrote:
    >
    >> santo wrote:
    >>> Hi,
    >>> I need to open files which contain Tamil , Japanese and chinese font. I
    >>> Installed the available ones through MCC but I still get garbled signs
    >>> instead...Is there something else I have to do?

    >> You have to be in an application that will handle the font.
    >> You may have to change a setting in the application, or for some
    >> terminal windows use the locale command and have a .i18n file
    >> in your home directory.
    >>
    >> If you use OpenOffice, you can install the language packages for it
    >> and use that. The Firefox browser also should display international
    >> locale character sets.

    > well I did install the language package Japanese in this case... but it does
    > not display...neither in firefox nor in OOWriter...
    > I do not have a .i18n in my /home and I do not know how to do it...

    For Firefox (firefox 3), go to preferences, Content, and on the
    line below Fponts & Colors click on Advanced. Then use the top
    pull-down and select Japanese. Then select your fonts. There
    are several Mincho and Gothic fonts that work ok. I rather like
    Wadalabs fonts, but Mandriva does not provide them and I have
    not gone to the trouble of getting and installing them on 2008.1.
    Repeat for Chinese and Tamil.

    You may also have to go to View on the main Firefox toolbar, then to
    Character encoding, and then select either auto-select (if it works
    -- does not always do the job) or the language/encoding you need.

    For OpenOffice Japanese Chinese and Tamil, you will need to install,

    openoffice.org-l10n-ja-2.4.1.5-2.3mdv2008.1

    openoffice.org-l10n-zh_CN-2.4.1.5-2.3mdv2008.1
    openoffice.org-l10n-zh_TW-2.4.1.5-2.3mdv2008.1
    and maybe some other Chinese packages, depending on which flavors
    of Chinese you want (Traditional, simplified, Hong Kong, Big 5, etc)

    openoffice.org-l10n-ta-2.4.1.5 or something similar for Tamil.

    I think OpenOffice has to have the languages configured
    using the menus in it, but I have forgotten the instructions.
    Find preferences or options or locales or internationalization
    in the menus and look around, or click on help in the oo
    tool bar and use the search window to search for the language
    names.

    The .i18n files specify how to handle locales (language plus
    regional/language settings). One for US English but with
    support for SCIM (allowing Chinese or Japanese input) had
    contents of:

    [jim@localhost jim]$ cat .i18n
    LANGUAGE=en_US:en
    GTK_IM_MODULE=scim
    LC_ADDRESS=en_US
    LC_COLLATE=en_US
    QT_IM_MODULE=scim
    LC_NAME=en_US
    LC_NUMERIC=en_US
    LC_MEASUREMENT=en_US
    LC_TIME=en_US
    LANG=en_US
    LC_IDENTIFICATION=en_US
    LC_MESSAGES=en_US
    LC_CTYPE=en_US
    LC_TELEPHONE=en_US
    LC_MONETARY=en_US
    XIM_PROGRAM="scim -d"
    LC_PAPER=en_US
    XMODIFIERS=@im=SCIM

    I have not bothered to set up language capabilities
    properly on this machine, but some install routines have
    noticed language capability and added localization
    support:

    kde-i18n-ja-3.5.9-1mdv2008.1
    pidgin-i18n-2.5.1-1mdv2008.1
    totem-pl-parser-i18n-2.22.1-3mdv2008.1
    libepc-i18n-0.3.4-2mdv2008.1
    kde-i18n-zh_TW-3.5.9-1mdv2008.1
    kickoff-i18n-1.0-5mdv2008.1
    gwenview-i18n-1.4.2-1mdv2008.1
    kde-i18n-vi-3.5.9-1mdv2008.1
    kde-i18n-zh_CN-3.5.9-1mdv2008.1
    kde-i18n-en_GB-3.5.9-1mdv2008.1

    You may also need a locale package for each language:
    locales-zh-2.7-3.1mdv2008.1
    locales-2.7-3.1mdv2008.1
    locales-en-2.7-3.1mdv2008.1 /* British English */
    locales-vi-2.7-3.1mdv2008.1
    locales-ja-2.7-3.1mdv2008.1

    In Mandriva Linux Control Center, go to install
    software and search for i18n. Then install anything
    you think you might need. Do the same for locales.

    Cheers!

    jim b.

    --
    UNIX is not user unfriendly; it merely
    expects users to be computer-friendly.

  8. Re: Fonts not working...

    Jim Beard wrote:

    > santo wrote:
    >> Jim Beard wrote:

    > For Firefox (firefox 3), go to preferences, Content, and on the
    > line below Fponts & Colors click on Advanced. Then use the top
    > pull-down and select Japanese. Then select your fonts. There
    > are several Mincho and Gothic fonts that work ok. I rather like
    > Wadalabs fonts, but Mandriva does not provide them and I have
    > not gone to the trouble of getting and installing them on 2008.1.
    > Repeat for Chinese and Tamil.
    >
    > You may also have to go to View on the main Firefox toolbar, then to
    > Character encoding, and then select either auto-select (if it works
    > -- does not always do the job) or the language/encoding you need.

    Thanks Jim,
    the above suggestions took care of everything...
    :-D

    santo

  9. Re: Fonts not working...

    santo wrote:
    > Jim Beard wrote:
    >
    >> santo wrote:
    >>> Jim Beard wrote:

    >> For Firefox (firefox 3), go to preferences, Content, and on the
    >> line below Fponts & Colors click on Advanced. Then use the top
    >> pull-down and select Japanese. Then select your fonts. There
    >> are several Mincho and Gothic fonts that work ok. I rather like
    >> Wadalabs fonts, but Mandriva does not provide them and I have
    >> not gone to the trouble of getting and installing them on 2008.1.
    >> Repeat for Chinese and Tamil.
    >>
    >> You may also have to go to View on the main Firefox toolbar, then to
    >> Character encoding, and then select either auto-select (if it works
    >> -- does not always do the job) or the language/encoding you need.
    >>

    > Thanks Jim,
    > the above suggestions took care of everything...

    For Firefox.

    For OpenOffice, go to
    Tools - Options - Language Settings - Languages

    Select your default Western and Asian languages.
    Then, for each, set up the default locale settings.
    For Japanese and Chinese, and maybe Tamil, you should
    enable Enhanced Language Support and maybe enable it
    for Complex Text Layout (CTL) as well.

    If you go beyond programs that do not do their own
    configuration, you may need to deal with the
    i18n and locale packages, if not already installed.

    Plus, you will need an IME for entry of the foreign
    language characters, if not automatically installed
    when you installed the language.

    Cheers!

    jim b.

    --
    UNIX is not user unfriendly; it merely
    expects users to be computer-friendly.

  10. Re: Fonts not working...

    Jim Beard wrote:

    > santo wrote:
    >> Jim Beard wrote:

    >>> For Firefox (firefox 3), go to preferences, Content, and on the
    >>> line below Fponts & Colors click on Advanced. Then use the top
    >>> pull-down and select Japanese. Then select your fonts. There
    >>> are several Mincho and Gothic fonts that work ok. I rather like
    >>> Wadalabs fonts, but Mandriva does not provide them and I have
    >>> not gone to the trouble of getting and installing them on 2008.1.
    >>> Repeat for Chinese and Tamil.
    >>>
    >>> You may also have to go to View on the main Firefox toolbar, then to
    >>> Character encoding, and then select either auto-select (if it works
    >>> -- does not always do the job) or the language/encoding you need.
    >>>

    >> Thanks Jim,
    >> the above suggestions took care of everything...

    > For Firefox.
    >

    > For OpenOffice, go to
    > Tools - Options - Language Settings - Languages
    >
    > Select your default Western and Asian languages.
    > Then, for each, set up the default locale settings.
    > For Japanese and Chinese, and maybe Tamil, you should
    > enable Enhanced Language Support

    That I did it before by myself...I managed to do it alone...
    :-)

    > and maybe enable it for Complex Text Layout (CTL) as well.

    CTL allows to enable Tamil only, no selection possible for Chinese nor
    Japanese...so I left it untouched, it seems to be working anyway...

    thanks, santo

    > Cheers!
    >
    > jim b.

+ Reply to Thread