Killing X - Mandriva

This is a discussion on Killing X - Mandriva ; Yesterday I ran a Windows game under Wine. It started fine, then my Benq screen went "out of range." Killing the game, Wine and Wineserver in another console didn't bring it back, so I forced a reboot. This resulted in ...

  1. Killing X

    Yesterday I ran a Windows game under Wine. It started fine, then my Benq
    screen went "out of range." Killing the game, Wine and Wineserver in
    another console didn't bring it back, so I forced a reboot. This resulted
    in just about every partition being checked, including my 160 GB external
    drive.

    It has just occurred to me that this was a case for killing X with the
    Ctrl-Alt-BkSP keystroke (Linux Cookbook.) I have never done this. In fact,
    I had to look up the keystroke. How would I start X again? My guess is
    tat I could have used startx, but it would have been safer to log out
    instead, and clear any problems.

    Doug.
    --
    Who said life isn't exciting? Floridans have a constitutional right to
    wear saggy pants.

  2. Re: Killing X

    On Thu, 18 Sep 2008 14:26:03 +1000, Doug Laidlaw wrote:

    > It has just occurred to me that this was a case for killing X with the
    > Ctrl-Alt-BkSP keystroke (Linux Cookbook.) I have never done this. In fact,
    > I had to look up the keystroke. How would I start X again? My guess is
    > tat I could have used startx,

    Yep, one of the reasons I have runlevel 3 set.

    $ grep :initdef /etc/inittab
    id:3:initdefault:

    > but it would have been safer to log out instead, and clear any problems.

    That is what I do.

    Upon occasions, my audio server would still be locked by another user
    or would not start, even though I had logged out.

    Could not find process causing the problem so I have to reboot.

    Other day ran googleearth. Started seeing the earth being painted,
    entered Houston, TX. Screen went black, system locked up,
    Ctl+everything_I_tried failed.

    Rebooted, deleted $HOME/.googleearth, ran googleearth and no problem.

  3. Re: Killing X

    On Thu, 18 Sep 2008 14:26:03 +1000, Doug Laidlaw wrote:

    > t has just occurred to me that this was a case for killing X with the
    > Ctrl-Alt-BkSP keystroke (Linux Cookbook.) I have never done this. In
    > fact, I had to look up the keystroke. How would I start X again? My
    > guess is tat I could have used startx, but it would have been safer to
    > log out instead, and clear any problems.

    Here, it restarts automatically and takes me back to the login screen. I
    normally boot at run level 5 though. Try it and see.;-)

  4. Re: Killing X

    On Thursday 18 September 2008 06:26, someone identifying as *Doug Laidlaw*
    wrote in /alt.os.linux.mandriva:/

    > Yesterday I ran a Windows game under Wine. It started fine, then my Benq
    > screen went "out of range." Killing the game, Wine and Wineserver in
    > another console didn't bring it back, so I forced a reboot. This resulted
    > in just about every partition being checked, including my 160 GB external
    > drive.

    Windows habits...

    > It has just occurred to me that this was a case for killing X with the
    > Ctrl-Alt-BkSP keystroke (Linux Cookbook.) I have never done this. In
    > fact, I had to look up the keystroke. How would I start X again? My
    > guess is tat I could have used startx, but it would have been safer to log
    > out instead, and clear any problems.

    If you're in runlevel 3, then /startx/ is how you bring X back up, but if
    you're in runlevel 5 and you kill X, it will respawn automatically.

    > Doug.
    > --
    > Who said life isn't exciting? Floridans have a constitutional right to
    > wear saggy pants.

    I think your signature's broken. ;-) Use two dashes and a space as the
    separator between your signature and the article body. If you set up your
    signature in your newsreader, this will be taken care of for you
    automatically. ;-)

    --
    *Aragorn*
    (registered GNU/Linux user #223157)

  5. Re: Killing X

    Doug Laidlaw wrote:

    > Yesterday I ran a Windows game under Wine. It started fine, then my Benq
    > screen went "out of range." Killing the game, Wine and Wineserver in
    > another console didn't bring it back, so I forced a reboot. This resulted
    > in just about every partition being checked, including my 160 GB external
    > drive.
    >
    > It has just occurred to me that this was a case for killing X with the
    > Ctrl-Alt-BkSP keystroke (Linux Cookbook.) I have never done this. In
    > fact,
    > I had to look up the keystroke. How would I start X again? My guess is
    > tat I could have used startx, but it would have been safer to log out
    > instead, and clear any problems.

    If you're in runlevel 3, then startx bring X11 back. If you're in runlevel 5
    and you kill X, it will respawn automatically. If it doesn't, as root type:

    # service dm restart

    More interesting, if you just want to kill all running wine programs or
    simulate a wine reboot, or ... use wineboot:

    # $ wineboot --help
    Usage: wineboot [options]
    Options;
    -h,--help Display this help message
    -e,--end-session End the current session cleanly
    -f,--force Force exit for processes that don't exit cleanly
    -i,--init Perform initialization for first Wine instance
    -k,--kill Kill running processes without any cleanup
    -r,--restart Restart only, don't do normal startup operations
    -s,--shutdown Shutdown only, don't reboot

  6. Re: Killing X

    On Thu, 18 Sep 2008, in the Usenet newsgroup alt.os.linux.mandriva, in article
    , Doug Laidlaw wrote:

    >It has just occurred to me that this was a case for killing X with the
    >Ctrl-Alt-BkSP keystroke (Linux Cookbook.) I have never done this. In
    >fact, I had to look up the keystroke. How would I start X again? My
    >guess is tat I could have used startx, but it would have been safer to
    >log out instead, and clear any problems.

    Assuming you are running Linux and reading this under X now, go find
    another console, and run the command 'ps afuwx' and look at the first
    process that has your username. As you are running in run-level 5,
    this is probably your display or window manager RATHER THAN a login
    shell of some kind as you would see in run-level 3. Alternatively, you
    can run 'pstree' and see similar information.

    [compton ~]$ pstree | head -3
    init-+-atd
    |-bash---runx---xinit-+-X
    | `-fvwm2-+-FvwmButtons
    [compton ~]$

    So here, when I kill X, it drops me back to the command line, whence I
    could use 'runx' (or 'startx') to restart X. In your case, you're
    probably seeing something like

    init-+-atd
    |-kdm-+-X
    `-KDEstuff

    and when you kill X, it's going to drop you back to 'init'. But if you
    look at /etc/inittab and the man page for that (man inittab) you'll
    see something like

    # Run xdm in runlevel 5
    x:5:respawn:/usr/bin/X11/xdm -nodaemon

    except that in your case, it's kdm or similar. Note the third field
    which says

    respawn
    The process will be restarted whenever it terminates.

    so when you kill X with the Ctrl-Alt-BkSP, init will restart things
    and you'll be presented with the GUI login screen.

    Old guy

  7. Re: Killing X

    Aragorn wrote:

    > On Thursday 18 September 2008 06:26, someone identifying as *Doug Laidlaw*
    > wrote in /alt.os.linux.mandriva:/
    >
    >> Yesterday I ran a Windows game under Wine. It started fine, then my Benq
    >> screen went "out of range." Killing the game, Wine and Wineserver in
    >> another console didn't bring it back, so I forced a reboot. This
    >> resulted in just about every partition being checked, including my 160 GB
    >> external drive.

    > Windows habits...
    >
    >> It has just occurred to me that this was a case for killing X with the
    >> Ctrl-Alt-BkSP keystroke (Linux Cookbook.) I have never done this. In
    >> fact, I had to look up the keystroke. How would I start X again? My
    >> guess is tat I could have used startx, but it would have been safer to
    >> log out instead, and clear any problems.

    > If you're in runlevel 3, then /startx/ is how you bring X back up, but if
    > you're in runlevel 5 and you kill X, it will respawn automatically.
    >
    >> Doug.
    >> --
    >> Who said life isn't exciting? Floridans have a constitutional right to
    >> wear saggy pants.

    > I think your signature's broken. ;-) Use two dashes and a space as the
    > separator between your signature and the article body. If you set up your
    > signature in your newsreader, this will be taken care of for you
    > automatically. ;-)

    Thanks to all.

    a) Re: rebooting Wine: That was the first thing that I thought about, but
    the damage seemed to be in the display. I was more about being ready next
    time. I was in runlevel 5 at that time.

    b) Re: signature: Yes that is set up in Knode, but this time I changed the
    default one. Copying the piece of text into OpenOffice where I can see
    hidden characters, I seem to have a space followed by two dashes. I can't
    recall whether I deleted the two dashes and had to put them back, but I
    didn't know about the following space, and would have followed the second
    dash with a newline. Thanks for the tip.

    Doug.

+ Reply to Thread