During Mandriva install put Grub in superblock ? - Mandriva

This is a discussion on During Mandriva install put Grub in superblock ? - Mandriva ; Hi, I download Mandriva Linux One 2008 Spring. Installed from the iso after it boot to the live CD. It's excellent! But because I use a separate boot loader I need to install Grub into the superblock not the mbr. ...

  1. During Mandriva install put Grub in superblock ?

    Hi,

    I download Mandriva Linux One 2008 Spring. Installed from the iso
    after it boot to the live CD. It's excellent!

    But because I use a separate boot loader I need to install Grub into
    the superblock not the mbr. I'm having problems with booting Mandriva
    and I think that's why - Grub goes in the mbr by default I think.

    In the Mandriva install is there any where I can specify where I want
    Grub installed to? At what point in the install?

    Thanks,

    Lee G.

  2. Re: During Mandriva install put Grub in superblock ?

    On Wed, 17 Sep 2008 12:10:58 -0400, leegold wrote:

    > In the Mandriva install is there any where I can specify where I want
    > Grub installed to? At what point in the install?

    Yes. Near the end of the install, it'll give you a list of items, with the
    option to configure each of them. One of them is the boot loader.

    I use the gag boot manager, so I put the distribution specific bootloader
    in the boot sector of the root filesystem.

    Do not use the filesystem type xfs, for the root filesystem, as it doesn't
    have room for a bootloader. Stick with ext2/3, or reiserfs.

    Regards, Dave Hodgins

  3. Re: During Mandriva install put Grub in superblock ?

    leegold writes:

    >Hi,

    >I download Mandriva Linux One 2008 Spring. Installed from the iso
    >after it boot to the live CD. It's excellent!

    >But because I use a separate boot loader I need to install Grub into
    >the superblock not the mbr. I'm having problems with booting Mandriva
    >and I think that's why - Grub goes in the mbr by default I think.

    Having it installed in the mbr should not be a problem. What kind of system
    do you have that you cannot install into the mbr?
    Note it is never installed in the superblock. It is sometimes installed
    into the root partition.

    >In the Mandriva install is there any where I can specify where I want
    >Grub installed to? At what point in the install?

    Yes. In the boot loader installation section very near the end.

    >Thanks,

    >Lee G.

  4. Re: During Mandriva install put Grub in superblock ?

    On 2008-09-17, Unruh wrote:
    > leegold writes:
    >
    >>Hi,

    >>I download Mandriva Linux One 2008 Spring. Installed from the iso
    >>after it boot to the live CD. It's excellent!

    >>But because I use a separate boot loader I need to install Grub into
    >>the superblock not the mbr. I'm having problems with booting Mandriva
    >>and I think that's why - Grub goes in the mbr by default I think.

    > Having it installed in the mbr should not be a problem. What kind of system
    > do you have that you cannot install into the mbr?

    He probably meant to say that he has a 'boot manager' in the MBR, not a
    'boot loader'.

    > Note it is never installed in the superblock. It is sometimes installed
    > into the root partition.
    >

    >>In the Mandriva install is there any where I can specify where I want
    >>Grub installed to? At what point in the install?

    > Yes. In the boot loader installation section very near the end.

    Once the Mandriva system is installed, you can go to 'System - Configure
    your computer' to get the Mandriva Control Centre, go to the 'Boot'
    section, and 'Set up boot system'. (That's for Mdv2008.0 'Powerpack'; I
    don't know if the 2008.1 'One' system is different in that area).

    --
    -- Whiskers

+ Reply to Thread