Unwanted kernels - Mandriva

This is a discussion on Unwanted kernels - Mandriva ; I have been updating the cooker versions of 2009.0 to my wife's new EEE PC901 (gift from me) on almost a daily basis. I like it more with each passing day. More interesting is that my wife who took 20 ...

  1. Unwanted kernels

    I have been updating the cooker versions of 2009.0 to my wife's new EEE
    PC901 (gift from me) on almost a daily basis. I like it more with each
    passing day. More interesting is that my wife who took 20 years before even
    considering using a computer has migrated from my PIII Windows 98 laptop to
    the EEE with delight. Quite an achievement for Mandriva.

    Anyway to business. I now have several kernels showing up on the grub boot
    menu. Is there a safe and painless way of deleting the unwanted ones?

  2. Re: Unwanted kernels

    On Tue, 16 Sep 2008 22:41:08 +0100, Alan Secker wrote:

    > Anyway to business. I now have several kernels showing up on the grub boot
    > menu. Is there a safe and painless way of deleting the unwanted ones?

    click up a terminal
    su - root

    For safe you make a backup copy
    cp /boot/grub/menu.lst /boot/grub/menu.lst_works

    gedit /boot/grub/menu.lst or
    kwrite /boot/grub/menu.lst

    and comment out the offending stanzas, or delete them.

  3. Re: Unwanted kernels

    On Tue, 16 Sep 2008 22:41:08 +0100, Alan Secker wrote:

    > I have been updating the cooker versions of 2009.0 to my wife's new EEE
    > PC901 (gift from me) on almost a daily basis. I like it more with each
    > passing day. More interesting is that my wife who took 20 years before even
    > considering using a computer has migrated from my PIII Windows 98 laptop to
    > the EEE with delight. Quite an achievement for Mandriva.
    >
    > Anyway to business. I now have several kernels showing up on the grub boot
    > menu. Is there a safe and painless way of deleting the unwanted ones?

    Deleting what? The entries on the grub menu, or the actual unwanted
    kernels?

    If the first, simply edit /boot/grub/menu.lst as desired. If the second,
    simply delete the desired kernels from /boot.

  4. Re: Unwanted kernels

    On Tuesday 16 September 2008 23:41, someone identifying as *Alan Secker*
    wrote in /alt.os.linux.mandriva:/

    > I have been updating the cooker versions of 2009.0 to my wife's new EEE
    > PC901 (gift from me) on almost a daily basis. I like it more with each
    > passing day. More interesting is that my wife who took 20 years before
    > even considering using a computer has migrated from my PIII Windows 98
    > laptop to the EEE with delight. Quite an achievement for Mandriva.
    >
    > Anyway to business. I now have several kernels showing up on the grub boot
    > menu. Is there a safe and painless way of deleting the unwanted ones?

    Open up */boot/grub/menu.lst* inside a plain text editor (as root) and look
    at the entries. Make sure that the kernels and /initrd's/you intend to
    keep are listed by their actual filenames and not by any symbolic links
    pointing to them. Delete the entries you don't need.

    Next, delete the unneeded kernels and /initrd's/ from */boot* and do the
    same with all the symbolic links pointing to them, and to the kernels that
    you do want to keep. Then look in */lib/modules* and delete the
    directories (and contents) with the names of the deleted kernels.

    --
    *Aragorn*
    (registered GNU/Linux user #223157)

  5. Re: Unwanted kernels

    Alan Secker wrote:
    > Anyway to business. I now have several kernels showing up on the grub boot
    > menu. Is there a safe and painless way of deleting the unwanted ones?

    In a terminal window, run
    rpm -qa |grep kernel

    Inspect the list and see which kernel packages you want to remove.
    Then (as root of course),

    urpme kernel.package.to.be.removed

    ls -l /boot
    to see if the kernel was actually removed. If not, as root,
    remove it and associated files. Be careful!

    Then, run ls /lib/modules and see if a kernel removed has left
    behind its modules. If so,
    rm -rf /lib/modules/2.6.24.5-desktop-2mnb or whatever it is you want
    to remove. Be very careful. You do not want to remove the modules
    for a kernel in use.

    Then ls -l /usr/src and take a look at what you have there.
    Depending on your video card and the drivers used, you may have a
    obsolete kernel-devel- or nvidia-install directory. that can be
    removed.

    Cheers!

    jim b.

    --
    UNIX is not user unfriendly; it merely
    expects users to be computer-friendly.

  6. Re: Unwanted kernels

    Alan Secker wrote:

    > Anyway to business. I now have several kernels showing up on the grub boot
    > menu. Is there a safe and painless way of deleting the unwanted ones?

    Yes, use the package management tools within Mandriva Control Centre.
    Add/Remove software is there to do just what it says.

    --
    sid
    RLU 300284

  7. Re: Unwanted kernels

    Alan Secker wrote:

    > I have been updating the cooker versions of 2009.0 to my wife's new EEE
    > PC901 (gift from me) on almost a daily basis. I like it more with each
    > passing day. More interesting is that my wife who took 20 years before
    > even considering using a computer has migrated from my PIII Windows 98
    > laptop to the EEE with delight. Quite an achievement for Mandriva.
    >
    > Anyway to business. I now have several kernels showing up on the grub boot
    > menu. Is there a safe and painless way of deleting the unwanted ones?

    Thanks for all those replies. I couldn't do it from the Control Center
    because they just didn't show up.

  8. Re: Unwanted kernels

    Jim Beard wrote:

    > Alan Secker wrote:
    >> Anyway to business. I now have several kernels showing up on the grub
    >> boot menu. Is there a safe and painless way of deleting the unwanted
    >> ones?

    > In a terminal window, run
    > rpm -qa |grep kernel
    >
    > Inspect the list and see which kernel packages you want to remove.
    > Then (as root of course),
    >
    > urpme kernel.package.to.be.removed
    >
    > ls -l /boot
    > to see if the kernel was actually removed. If not, as root,
    > remove it and associated files. Be careful!
    >
    > Then, run ls /lib/modules and see if a kernel removed has left
    > behind its modules. If so,
    > rm -rf /lib/modules/2.6.24.5-desktop-2mnb or whatever it is you want
    > to remove. Be very careful. You do not want to remove the modules
    > for a kernel in use.
    >
    > Then ls -l /usr/src and take a look at what you have there.
    > Depending on your video card and the drivers used, you may have a
    > obsolete kernel-devel- or nvidia-install directory. that can be
    > removed.
    >
    > Cheers!
    >
    > jim b.

    Ain't life wonderful?
    I cannot get a vertical bar from the EEE keyboard!!!!

    Alan

  9. Re: Unwanted kernels

    Alan Secker wrote:
    > Ain't life wonderful?
    > I cannot get a vertical bar from the EEE keyboard!!!!

    Yes, life is wonderful, on top of that you can also
    skip the redundant grep command.

    rpm -qa \*kernel\*

    PS. Everybody who said delete things from /boot is wrong.
    Using your package manager ('rpm -e'/urpme) is the correct way.

    kernel.h-whatever will be the only non rpm owned thing
    assuming you used your package manager to install/upgrade
    the kernels you no longer want.

  10. Re: Unwanted kernels

    Bill wrote:

    > Alan Secker wrote:
    >> Ain't life wonderful?
    >> I cannot get a vertical bar from the EEE keyboard!!!!
    >>

    > Yes, life is wonderful, on top of that you can also
    > skip the redundant grep command.
    >
    > rpm -qa \*kernel\*
    >
    > PS. Everybody who said delete things from /boot is wrong.
    > Using your package manager ('rpm -e'/urpme) is the correct way.
    >
    > kernel.h-whatever will be the only non rpm owned thing
    > assuming you used your package manager to install/upgrade
    > the kernels you no longer want.

    I'll try that this evening. I suspect that the reason that I couldn't
    get to the | character was that all the test 2009.0 kernels have the
    word 'desktop' in them. No doubt a more tailored version will be released
    once all the known bugs are fixed.

  11. Re: Unwanted kernels

    Alan Secker wrote:
    > Ain't life wonderful?
    > I cannot get a vertical bar from the EEE keyboard!!!!

    Not much you can do about that at the console, but once X11 starts you
    can redefine the keyboard map (see xmodmap) so that some combination
    (alt-? maybe) generates that character.

    Bizarre that they left that character off though, is there maybe a
    second shift key needed to generate it?

    Regards,

    David Mathog

  12. Re: Unwanted kernels

    On Wed, 17 Sep 2008 11:10:00 +0100, Alan Secker wrote:

    > Alan Secker wrote:

    > Thanks for all those replies. I couldn't do it from the Control Center
    > because they just didn't show up.

    Did you change the drop down menu (top left in MCC/Software Management/
    Install Software) to "All" from "Packages with GUI" otherwise they won't
    be shown.

  13. Re: Unwanted kernels

    On Wed, 17 Sep 2008 13:44:29 +0100, Alan Secker wrote:

    > I cannot get a vertical bar from the EEE keyboard!!!!

    What nationality of EeePC do you have?

    The pipe symbol "|" is often AltGr together with the "1" key on Western
    keyboards.

  14. Re: Unwanted kernels

    David Mathog wrote:

    > Alan Secker wrote:
    >> Ain't life wonderful?
    >> I cannot get a vertical bar from the EEE keyboard!!!!

    > Not much you can do about that at the console, but once X11 starts you
    > can redefine the keyboard map (see xmodmap) so that some combination
    > (alt-? maybe) generates that character.
    >
    > Bizarre that they left that character off though, is there maybe a
    > second shift key needed to generate it?
    >
    > Regards,
    >
    > David Mathog

    I haven't had a chance to follow this up but I was checking something
    else out during my lunch break and noticed that a key character came up when
    I held down the Fn key first. There had been some comment on Function key
    behaviour on one of the EEEPCuser forums. This may be one aspect.

    Oh! British English settings were selected at installation time.

    Regards to all

    Alan

  15. Re: Unwanted kernels

    Artful Codger wrote:

    > On Wed, 17 Sep 2008 11:10:00 +0100, Alan Secker wrote:
    >
    >> Alan Secker wrote:

    >> Thanks for all those replies. I couldn't do it from the Control Center
    >> because they just didn't show up.

    > Did you change the drop down menu (top left in MCC/Software Management/
    > Install Software) to "All" from "Packages with GUI" otherwise they won't
    > be shown.

    I did.

    Anyway the urpme method handled it very well.

    Regards

    Alan

  16. Re: Unwanted kernels

    On Thu, 18 Sep 2008 15:38:47 +0100, Alan Secker wrote:

    > David Mathog wrote:
    >
    >> Alan Secker wrote:
    >>> Ain't life wonderful?
    >>> I cannot get a vertical bar from the EEE keyboard!!!!

    >> Not much you can do about that at the console, but once X11 starts you
    >> can redefine the keyboard map (see xmodmap) so that some combination
    >> (alt-? maybe) generates that character.
    >>
    >> Bizarre that they left that character off though, is there maybe a
    >> second shift key needed to generate it?

    They didn't leave it off, therefore no bizarreness need be invoked.

    > I haven't had a chance to follow this up but I was checking something
    > else out during my lunch break and noticed that a key character came up
    > when I held down the Fn key first. There had been some comment on
    > Function key behaviour on one of the EEEPCuser forums. This may be one
    > aspect.
    >
    > Oh! British English settings were selected at installation time.

    That answers my question elsewhere in the thread.

    On my EeePC with UK keyboard, the pipe symbol "|" is next to the backtick
    "`" which is the key to the right of the Esc key, so holding AltGr-` will
    give the |. Does this help?

+ Reply to Thread