Configuring ALSA to enable gameport joystick - Mandriva

This is a discussion on Configuring ALSA to enable gameport joystick - Mandriva ; Since installing Mdv 2008 I have been unable to get my joystick (2- button, 2-axis, connected to my SB soundcard's gameport) to be detected, even after extensive googling. In Mdv 2007 I somehow managed to get it working- don't ask ...

  1. Configuring ALSA to enable gameport joystick

    Since installing Mdv 2008 I have been unable to get my joystick (2-
    button, 2-axis, connected to my SB soundcard's gameport) to be detected,
    even after extensive googling. In Mdv 2007 I somehow managed to get it
    working- don't ask me how, I don't know (imagine an infinite number of
    monkeys banging on an infinite number of typewriters and you'll get the
    idea :-)).

    From time to time I'll go back to the challenge of trying to discover how
    to get the damned thing working and spend an evening or two reading lots
    of stuff I can't quite understand and trying to follow instructions from
    various postings in various fora. So far no success.

    Nevertheless I think I have everything set up for my joystick to be
    detected and operate correctly but there is one stumbling block left- how
    can I tell ALSA to enable my joystick?

    cat /proc/asound/card0/audiopci gives the following:

    Ensoniq AudioPCI ES1371

    Joystick enable : off
    Joystick port : 0x200

    There must be a simple switch in a configuration file somewhere but in
    the reams of posts I've read in the last two days (this time round) there
    seems to be no fix for this. Can anyone give me definitive instructions
    on how to enable my joystick?

    Mandriva 2008.1 KDE 3.5

    With 2009.0 coming along soon, it'd be nice to have beaten this one
    little niggle in 2008.1.

    --
    Liverpool. European City Of Culture 2008
    http://www.liverpool08.com

  2. Re: Configuring ALSA to enable gameport joystick

    On Tue, 16 Sep 2008 14:15:31 -0400, Aardvark wrote:

    > cat /proc/asound/card0/audiopci gives the following:
    > Ensoniq AudioPCI ES1371
    > Joystick enable : off
    > Joystick port : 0x200

    In /etc/modprobe.conf, ensure you have ...
    alias snd-card-0 snd-ens1371
    options snd-ens1371 joystick=1

    In /etc/modprobe.preload, ensure you have ...
    gameport
    snd-ens1371

    Regards, Dave Hodgins

  3. Re: Configuring ALSA to enable gameport joystick

    On Wed, 17 Sep 2008 19:08:35 -0400, David W. Hodgins wrote:

    > On Tue, 16 Sep 2008 14:15:31 -0400, Aardvark
    > wrote:
    >
    >> cat /proc/asound/card0/audiopci gives the following: Ensoniq AudioPCI
    >> ES1371
    >> Joystick enable : off
    >> Joystick port : 0x200

    > In /etc/modprobe.conf, ensure you have ... alias snd-card-0 snd-ens1371
    > options snd-ens1371 joystick=1
    >
    > In /etc/modprobe.preload, ensure you have ... gameport
    > snd-ens1371
    >
    > Regards, Dave Hodgins

    Thanks for that, Dave. I edited the files then rebooted and ran cat /proc/
    asound/card0/audiopci again.

    Still the same result, I'm afraid. Joystick enable is still off.

    I'll now go back to the start and ensure all required modules are loaded
    with the appropriate parameters/switches and see where that gets me.

    The funny thing is that with Mdv 2007 I managed to stumble on the correct
    recipe in a relatively short time (about four days of searching and
    editing files) but the total time I've spent trying to enable my gameport
    joystick since first installing 2008.0 (and later 2008.1) I would
    estimate to be three times that so far.

    Any other suggestions in the meantime?

    --
    Liverpool. European City Of Culture 2008
    http://www.liverpool08.com

  4. Re: Configuring ALSA to enable gameport joystick

    On Thu, 18 Sep 2008 09:41:02 -0400, Aardvark wrote:

    > Any other suggestions in the meantime?

    Nope. I was actually getting that info from a thread you were in for 2007.0 ...
    http://groups.google.ca/group/alt.os...3989050b73610d

    Regards, Dave Hodgins