Samsung ML-1640 printer problem - Mandriva

This is a discussion on Samsung ML-1640 printer problem - Mandriva ; I bought this printer today but cannot make it work with MDV2008.1 system. Printerdrake does not have a driver for it, so I installed the driver provided on the disk. It actually installed 3 drivers, CLP300, ML2010 & ML1640. I ...

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 25

  1. Samsung ML-1640 printer problem

    I bought this printer today but cannot make it work with MDV2008.1 system.
    Printerdrake does not have a driver for it, so I installed the driver
    provided on the disk. It actually installed 3 drivers, CLP300, ML2010 &
    ML1640. I can't get any printing with any of the three drivers.

    The printer is OK, I attached it to a Windows machine and it worked fine.
    Linuxprinter.org lists this printer as perfectly working.

    What should I do next ?

    --
    jabali

  2. Re: Samsung ML-1640 printer problem

    On 2008-09-16, Jabali Pragya wrote:

    > I bought this printer today but cannot make it work with MDV2008.1 system.
    > Printerdrake does not have a driver for it, so I installed the driver
    > provided on the disk. It actually installed 3 drivers, CLP300, ML2010 &
    > ML1640. I can't get any printing with any of the three drivers.
    >
    > The printer is OK, I attached it to a Windows machine and it worked fine.
    > Linuxprinter.org lists this printer as perfectly working.

    I've looked at the specs, it's neither a PostScript, nor a PCL. It has it's
    own language, wich means you'll need a specific driver.

    Try finding a similar model in Yast, at first. At least, you might get it
    printing, while you look further.

    Sorry I can't help you with their drivers, I don't have a Samsung myself.

    --
    Elevators smell different to midgets

  3. Re: Samsung ML-1640 printer problem

    Jabali Pragya writes:

    > I bought this printer today but cannot make it work with MDV2008.1 system.
    > Printerdrake does not have a driver for it, so I installed the driver
    > provided on the disk. It actually installed 3 drivers, CLP300, ML2010 &
    > ML1640. I can't get any printing with any of the three drivers.

    This needs (for me) some more explanation. What were these things?
    Do you know what got installed -- kernel modules? (I hope not!),
    filter programs?, PPD files?

    > The printer is OK, I attached it to a Windows machine and it worked fine.
    > Linuxprinter.org lists this printer as perfectly working.
    >
    > What should I do next ?

    How is the printer connected? It helps to test the connection by
    sending some text directly to the connected device. This bypasses
    most of what is called "the driver". Before my printer moved I used
    to do:

    ls -l >/dev/lp

    but you need to know the device. Mandriva people will be better for
    that part.

    It would also help to be sure you are using CUPS (the most likely
    printing system).

    Finally, tell people how you know it is not working. I know it sounds
    daft, but there is a huge difference between the above failing, lpr
    text.txt failing and getting nothing from a print in OpenOffice.

    --
    Ben.

  4. Re: Samsung ML-1640 printer problem

    On Tue, 16 Sep 2008 06:49:38 -0400, Jabali Pragya wrote:

    > I bought this printer today but cannot make it work with MDV2008.1 system.
    > Printerdrake does not have a driver for it, so I installed the driver
    > provided on the disk. It actually installed 3 drivers, CLP300, ML2010 &
    > ML1640. I can't get any printing with any of the three drivers.

    Installation cds often have outdated drivers. I'd try the latest ML-1640/XSS Unified
    Linux Driver from
    http://www.samsung.com/sg/support/do...ia_cd=06010400

    After you download the driver, extract the files from the archive, then follow
    the instructions at http://www.openprinting.org/show_pri...amsung-ML-1640
    for copying the rastertosamsungspl and ML-1640spl2.ppd files to the correct directories.
    To restart cups, run "service cups restart", then use the cups configuration
    (rather then printerdrake), to add the printer.

    Regards, Dave Hodgins

  5. Re: Samsung ML-1640 printer problem

    Ben Bacarisse wrote:

    > Jabali Pragya writes:
    >
    >> I bought this printer today but cannot make it work with MDV2008.1
    >> system. Printerdrake does not have a driver for it, so I installed the
    >> driver provided on the disk. It actually installed 3 drivers, CLP300,
    >> ML2010 & ML1640. I can't get any printing with any of the three drivers.

    > This needs (for me) some more explanation. What were these things?
    > Do you know what got installed -- kernel modules? (I hope not!),
    > filter programs?, PPD files?
    >
    >> The printer is OK, I attached it to a Windows machine and it worked fine.
    >> Linuxprinter.org lists this printer as perfectly working.
    >>
    >> What should I do next ?

    > How is the printer connected? It helps to test the connection by
    > sending some text directly to the connected device. This bypasses
    > most of what is called "the driver". Before my printer moved I used
    > to do:
    >
    > ls -l >/dev/lp
    >
    > but you need to know the device. Mandriva people will be better for
    > that part.
    >
    > It would also help to be sure you are using CUPS (the most likely
    > printing system).
    >
    > Finally, tell people how you know it is not working. I know it sounds
    > daft, but there is a huge difference between the above failing, lpr
    > text.txt failing and getting nothing from a print in OpenOffice.

    The printer is connected to usb port (it is a usb only printer). The printer
    & the connection are OK as I printed from the same machine switching to
    Windows.

    By not working I mean that it is not responding at all. When printing from
    Windows I can see the data light blinking as the data is sent from the
    computer to the printer. Nothing like that happens with Linux. I have tried
    several application softwares, Kwrite, Kword, OO-writer, adobe reader, etc
    but it is all the same.

    The three drivers that were installed when I tried to install the driver
    from the supplied disk are all Samsung printer drivers for different
    models.

    Now I have downloaded the latest driver for ML-1640 from the Samsung website
    and installed it but there is no difference.

    Any help will be greatly appreciated.

    --
    jabali

  6. Re: Samsung ML-1640 printer problem

    David W. Hodgins wrote:

    > On Tue, 16 Sep 2008 06:49:38 -0400, Jabali Pragya
    > wrote:
    >
    >> I bought this printer today but cannot make it work with MDV2008.1
    >> system. Printerdrake does not have a driver for it, so I installed the
    >> driver provided on the disk. It actually installed 3 drivers, CLP300,
    >> ML2010 & ML1640. I can't get any printing with any of the three drivers.

    > Installation cds often have outdated drivers. I'd try the latest
    > ML-1640/XSS Unified Linux Driver from

    http://www.samsung.com/sg/support/do...ia_cd=06010400

    > After you download the driver, extract the files from the archive, then
    > follow the instructions at
    > http://www.openprinting.org/show_pri...amsung-ML-1640 for
    > copying the rastertosamsungspl and ML-1640spl2.ppd files to the correct
    > directories. To restart cups, run "service cups restart", then use the
    > cups configuration (rather then printerdrake), to add the printer.
    >
    > Regards, Dave Hodgins

    Thanks Dave. I downloaded the latest driver (ML-1640/XEU) from the Samsung
    UK site and ran autorun to install it. But that made no difference. I
    thought autorun will put the files in proper places. I shall follow your
    instructions and see how it goes.

    --
    jabali

  7. Re: Samsung ML-1640 printer problem

    Jabali Pragya wrote:

    > David W. Hodgins wrote:
    >
    >> On Tue, 16 Sep 2008 06:49:38 -0400, Jabali Pragya
    >> wrote:
    >>
    >>> I bought this printer today but cannot make it work with MDV2008.1
    >>> system. Printerdrake does not have a driver for it, so I installed the
    >>> driver provided on the disk. It actually installed 3 drivers, CLP300,
    >>> ML2010 & ML1640. I can't get any printing with any of the three drivers.

    >> Installation cds often have outdated drivers. I'd try the latest
    >> ML-1640/XSS Unified Linux Driver from

    http://www.samsung.com/sg/support/do...ia_cd=06010400

    >> After you download the driver, extract the files from the archive, then
    >> follow the instructions at
    >> http://www.openprinting.org/show_pri...amsung-ML-1640 for
    >> copying the rastertosamsungspl and ML-1640spl2.ppd files to the correct
    >> directories. To restart cups, run "service cups restart", then use the
    >> cups configuration (rather then printerdrake), to add the printer.
    >>
    >> Regards, Dave Hodgins
    >>

    > Thanks Dave. I downloaded the latest driver (ML-1640/XEU) from the Samsung
    > UK site and ran autorun to install it. But that made no difference. I
    > thought autorun will put the files in proper places. I shall follow your
    > instructions and see how it goes.

    Sorry to reply to my own post.

    Dave, I downloaded the driver from the site in your post, unpacked it and
    when following the instructions at linux printer site. At the step
    chmod +x /etc/rc.d/cups
    I got the message that there is no such directory.

    I uninstalled the previous version (using uninstall.sh) and then ran autorun
    from the new version. Unfortunately, linux is still not communicating with
    the printer .

    Anything else can I do ? Should I rename the Samsung directory in /opt and
    other directories and then try to install again ?

    --
    jabali

  8. Re: Samsung ML-1640 printer problem

    Jabali Pragya wrote:

    > The three drivers that were installed when I tried to install the driver
    > from the supplied disk are all Samsung printer drivers for different
    > models.
    >
    > Now I have downloaded the latest driver for ML-1640 from the Samsung website
    > and installed it but there is no difference.
    >
    > Any help will be greatly appreciated.

    Have a look here:

    http://www.openprinting.org/show_pri...amsung-ML-1640

    regards
    Alan

    --
    Alan Fitch
    apfitch at ieee

  9. Re: Samsung ML-1640 printer problem

    > You can get a little more information by running (in a terminal
    > window):
    >
    > $ lpq
    >
    > It should say something like this:
    >
    > hp is ready
    > no entries
    >
    > "hp" is the name of my printer. If that works, try this:
    >
    > $ ls -l | lp
    >
    > and then repeat the lpq command.
    >
    > $ ls -l | lp
    > request id is hp-98 (1 file(s))
    > $ lpq
    > hp is ready and printing
    > Rank Owner Job File(s) Total Size
    > active ben 98 (stdin) 3072 bytes
    >
    > If you do see a print job (like this) but nothing prints, you can remove
    > it with the lprm command. This will tell us if there is basic print
    > queue and if it can print plain text.

    Excellent info , thank you

    Frank a lurker & learner

  10. Re: Samsung ML-1640 printer problem

    Ben Bacarisse wrote:

    > Jabali Pragya writes:
    >
    >> The printer is connected to usb port (it is a usb only printer). The
    >> printer & the connection are OK as I printed from the same machine
    >> switching to Windows.
    >>
    >> By not working I mean that it is not responding at all. When printing
    >> from Windows I can see the data light blinking as the data is sent from
    >> the computer to the printer. Nothing like that happens with Linux. I have
    >> tried several application softwares, Kwrite, Kword, OO-writer, adobe
    >> reader, etc but it is all the same.
    >>
    >> The three drivers that were installed when I tried to install the driver
    >> from the supplied disk are all Samsung printer drivers for different
    >> models.
    >>
    >> Now I have downloaded the latest driver for ML-1640 from the Samsung
    >> website and installed it but there is no difference.

    > While it is excellent that they supply Linux drivers, it would be
    > better if they did so in a more standard way. The result is that I
    > can't know what the installer has done and I won't test it on my
    > machine because it requires me to run an unknown program as root.
    >
    > You can get a little more information by running (in a terminal
    > window):
    >
    > $ lpq
    >
    > It should say something like this:
    >
    > hp is ready
    > no entries
    >
    > "hp" is the name of my printer. If that works, try this:
    >
    > $ ls -l | lp
    >
    > and then repeat the lpq command.
    >
    > $ ls -l | lp
    > request id is hp-98 (1 file(s))
    > $ lpq
    > hp is ready and printing
    > Rank Owner Job File(s) Total Size
    > active ben 98 (stdin) 3072 bytes
    >
    > If you do see a print job (like this) but nothing prints, you can remove
    > it with the lprm command. This will tell us if there is basic print
    > queue and if it can print plain text.

    Ben thanks very much for the instructions. This is the outcome

    $ lpq
    SAMSUNML1640 is ready and printing
    Rank Owner Job File(s) Total Size
    active jabali 506 Adjusting the monitor for image 43008 bytes
    $ ls -l | lp
    request id is SAMSUNML1640-507 (1 file(s))
    $ lprm SAMSUNML1640-507
    lprm: The printer or class was not found.

    Please forgive me for my ignorance - I am not sure at all what that means.
    This is the first time I am having a problem with printer - my previous
    one - Samsung ML1210 worked right out of the box.

    Thanks for your help
    --
    jabali

  11. Re: Samsung ML-1640 printer problem

    Jabali Pragya writes:

    > Ben thanks very much for the instructions. This is the outcome
    >
    > $ lpq
    > SAMSUNML1640 is ready and printing
    > Rank Owner Job File(s) Total Size
    > active jabali 506 Adjusting the monitor for image 43008 bytes

    This means there is already a job waiting -- probably from a previous
    try to something to print.

    > $ ls -l | lp
    > request id is SAMSUNML1640-507 (1 file(s))

    And now there would be two jobs were you to look now.

    > $ lprm SAMSUNML1640-507
    > lprm: The printer or class was not found.

    You can probably remove all print jobs using

    lprm -

    I think you need to use the job number to remove a specific job.

    > Please forgive me for my ignorance - I am not sure at all what that means.
    > This is the first time I am having a problem with printer - my previous
    > one - Samsung ML1210 worked right out of the box.

    My first thought is that the print queue needs to be restarted. I'd
    look at KDE's print management stuff to see if you can restart it that
    way. I think you use KDE from preious info. Unfortunately I don't
    but I'd start there.

    --
    Ben.

  12. Re: Samsung ML-1640 printer problem

    Jabali Pragya wrote:
    > Jabali Pragya wrote:
    >
    >> David W. Hodgins wrote:

    >>> Installation cds often have outdated drivers. I'd try the latest
    >>> ML-1640/XSS Unified Linux Driver from
    >>>

    > http://www.samsung.com/sg/support/do...ia_cd=06010400
    >>> After you download the driver, extract the files from the archive, then
    >>> follow the instructions at
    >>> http://www.openprinting.org/show_pri...amsung-ML-1640 for
    >>> copying the rastertosamsungspl and ML-1640spl2.ppd files to the correct
    >>> directories. To restart cups, run "service cups restart", then use the
    >>> cups configuration (rather then printerdrake), to add the printer.
    >>>
    >>> Regards, Dave Hodgins
    >>>

    >> Thanks Dave. I downloaded the latest driver (ML-1640/XEU) from the Samsung
    >> UK site and ran autorun to install it. But that made no difference. I
    >> thought autorun will put the files in proper places. I shall follow your
    >> instructions and see how it goes.
    >>

    > Sorry to reply to my own post.
    >
    > Dave, I downloaded the driver from the site in your post, unpacked it and
    > when following the instructions at linux printer site. At the step
    > chmod +x /etc/rc.d/cups
    > I got the message that there is no such directory.

    Do you have cups installed? On my 64-bit system, packages installed
    are,

    gutenprint-cups-5.0.2-4mdv2008.1
    cups-common-1.3.6-5.1mdv2008.1
    libgnomecups-0.2.3-1mdv2008.1
    gnome-cups-manager-0.31-5mdv2008.1
    cups-1.3.6-5.1mdv2008.1
    lib64cups2-1.3.6-5.1mdv2008.1
    lib64gnomecupsui-1.0_1-0.31-5mdv2008.1
    lib64gnomecups-1.0_1-0.2.3-1mdv2008.1

    You may need to load the Mandriva Linux Control Center (mcc from the
    control line, Configure your computer from menu), go to Hardware, and
    then to Set up printers and print job queues.

    After all that is set up, for KDE you should launch KDE Control
    Center, to Peripherals, to Printers, and in Administrator mode set up
    you printer there.

    There is more involved than simply printer drivers.

    Cheers!

    jim b.

    --
    UNIX is not user unfriendly; it merely
    expects users to be computer-friendly.

  13. Re: Samsung ML-1640 printer problem

    Jim Beard wrote:

    > Jabali Pragya wrote:
    >> Jabali Pragya wrote:

    http://www.samsung.com/sg/support/do...ia_cd=06010400

    >>> Thanks Dave. I downloaded the latest driver (ML-1640/XEU) from the
    >>> Samsung UK site and ran autorun to install it. But that made no
    >>> difference. I thought autorun will put the files in proper places. I
    >>> shall follow your instructions and see how it goes.
    >>>

    >> Sorry to reply to my own post.
    >>
    >> Dave, I downloaded the driver from the site in your post, unpacked it and
    >> when following the instructions at linux printer site. At the step
    >> chmod +x /etc/rc.d/cups
    >> I got the message that there is no such directory.

    > Do you have cups installed? On my 64-bit system, packages installed
    > are,
    >
    > gutenprint-cups-5.0.2-4mdv2008.1
    > cups-common-1.3.6-5.1mdv2008.1
    > libgnomecups-0.2.3-1mdv2008.1
    > gnome-cups-manager-0.31-5mdv2008.1
    > cups-1.3.6-5.1mdv2008.1
    > lib64cups2-1.3.6-5.1mdv2008.1
    > lib64gnomecupsui-1.0_1-0.31-5mdv2008.1
    > lib64gnomecups-1.0_1-0.2.3-1mdv2008.1
    >
    > You may need to load the Mandriva Linux Control Center (mcc from the
    > control line, Configure your computer from menu), go to Hardware, and
    > then to Set up printers and print job queues.
    >
    > After all that is set up, for KDE you should launch KDE Control
    > Center, to Peripherals, to Printers, and in Administrator mode set up
    > you printer there.
    >
    > There is more involved than simply printer drivers.
    >
    > Cheers!
    >
    > jim b.

    Jim, thanks very much for your response. Cups is installed, the printer is
    listed in both MCC and kde control centre's printer sections as default
    printer and it also says that CUPS is the print system currently used.

    When I try to print a file it goes in the print queue and stays there. The
    first file, if there are more than one, is marked as "printing" but nothing
    actually goes to the printer as its data light does not blink (as occurs
    when I print from WinXP).

    I am completely baffled. This printer is listed in LinuxPrinter.org as
    perfect. There must be something wrong in my system - but I can't find out
    what it is

    --

    jabali

  14. Re: Samsung ML-1640 printer problem

    Ben Bacarisse wrote:

    > My first thought is that the print queue needs to be restarted. I'd
    > look at KDE's print management stuff to see if you can restart it that
    > way. I think you use KDE from preious info. Unfortunately I don't
    > but I'd start there.

    Ben, thanks again. When I look at the print queue, the first job is always
    marked as "printing" or "processing". But nothing actually goes to the
    printer as its data light does not blink (as occurs when I print from
    WinXP). I am completely baffled now .

    --

    jabali

  15. Re: Samsung ML-1640 printer problem

    Jabali Pragya writes:

    > Ben Bacarisse wrote:
    >

    >> My first thought is that the print queue needs to be restarted. I'd
    >> look at KDE's print management stuff to see if you can restart it that
    >> way. I think you use KDE from preious info. Unfortunately I don't
    >> but I'd start there.
    >>

    > Ben, thanks again. When I look at the print queue, the first job is always
    > marked as "printing" or "processing". But nothing actually goes to the
    > printer as its data light does not blink (as occurs when I print from
    > WinXP). I am completely baffled now .

    There may be a low-level USB problem, or there may be some high-level
    CUPS problem. I presume that removing the jobs and stopping and
    re-starting the printer does no good?

    If that does not work, I think you are better off asking Samsung.

    --
    Ben.

  16. Re: Samsung ML-1640 printer problem

    Ben Bacarisse writes:

    > Jabali Pragya writes:
    >
    >> Ben Bacarisse wrote:
    >>

    >>> My first thought is that the print queue needs to be restarted. I'd
    >>> look at KDE's print management stuff to see if you can restart it that
    >>> way. I think you use KDE from preious info. Unfortunately I don't
    >>> but I'd start there.
    >>>

    >> Ben, thanks again. When I look at the print queue, the first job is always
    >> marked as "printing" or "processing". But nothing actually goes to the
    >> printer as its data light does not blink (as occurs when I print from
    >> WinXP). I am completely baffled now .

    > There may be a low-level USB problem, or there may be some high-level
    > CUPS problem. I presume that removing the jobs and stopping and
    > re-starting the printer does no good?
    >
    > If that does not work, I think you are better off asking Samsung.

    Silly me. Now you know the print queue is there, the next thing is to
    see what the logs say. The ends of the files in /var/log/cups should
    be interesting (particularly error_log).

    --
    Ben.

  17. Re: Samsung ML-1640 printer problem

    On Thu, 18 Sep 2008 08:34:15 +0100
    Jabali Pragya wrote:

    > Ben, thanks again. When I look at the print queue, the first job is always
    > marked as "printing" or "processing". But nothing actually goes to the
    > printer as its data light does not blink (as occurs when I print from
    > WinXP). I am completely baffled now .

    I had a similar problem with my ML-1210 in Debain unstable a couple of
    times lately, except it would claim the jobs had been completed.
    Deleting the printer entry and adding it again fixed it. Also, for some
    reason the 1210 no longer shows up in the (still quite long) list of
    Samsung printers if I try to add it with CUPS' web interface, but it
    does in foomatic-gui.

    Sometimes it seems like Linux is getting too much like Windows :-(.

    --
    TH * http://www.realh.co.uk

  18. Re: Samsung ML-1640 printer problem

    On Thu, 18 Sep 2008 08:34:15 +0100, Jabali Pragya wrote:

    > Ben Bacarisse wrote:
    >

    >> My first thought is that the print queue needs to be restarted. I'd
    >> look at KDE's print management stuff to see if you can restart it that
    >> way. I think you use KDE from preious info. Unfortunately I don't but
    >> I'd start there.
    >>

    > Ben, thanks again. When I look at the print queue, the first job is
    > always marked as "printing" or "processing". But nothing actually goes
    > to the printer as its data light does not blink (as occurs when I print
    > from WinXP). I am completely baffled now .

    This normally means that CUPS has deactivated the printer. Open
    http://localhost:631 and see if the printer shows as active there.

  19. Re: Samsung ML-1640 printer problem

    Ben Bacarisse wrote:

    > Ben Bacarisse writes:
    >
    >> Jabali Pragya writes:

    >>> Ben, thanks again. When I look at the print queue, the first job is
    >>> always marked as "printing" or "processing". But nothing actually goes
    >>> to the printer as its data light does not blink (as occurs when I print
    >>> from WinXP). I am completely baffled now .

    >> There may be a low-level USB problem, or there may be some high-level
    >> CUPS problem. I presume that removing the jobs and stopping and
    >> re-starting the printer does no good?
    >>
    >> If that does not work, I think you are better off asking Samsung.

    > Silly me. Now you know the print queue is there, the next thing is to
    > see what the logs say. The ends of the files in /var/log/cups should
    > be interesting (particularly error_log).

    I cleared the print queue two or three times, stopped and restarted cups,
    turned the printer off & on, changed the usb cable and port but nothing
    made the printer to work with linux. The cable and port must be OK as the
    printer works with XP.

    Ben, /var/log/cups/error.log has last entry for May 2007. This probably
    relates to my trying to use a multifunctional one at that time.

    In access.log this is the last entry
    localhost - - [16/Sep/2008:23:06:48 +0100] "POST / HTTP/1.1" 200 394
    Get-Jobs successful-ok

    That is the time when I last tried to print.

    --

    jabali

  20. Re: Samsung ML-1640 printer problem

    Mark Madsen wrote:

    > On Thu, 18 Sep 2008 08:34:15 +0100, Jabali Pragya wrote:
    >
    >> Ben Bacarisse wrote:
    >>

    >>> My first thought is that the print queue needs to be restarted. I'd
    >>> look at KDE's print management stuff to see if you can restart it that
    >>> way. I think you use KDE from preious info. Unfortunately I don't but
    >>> I'd start there.
    >>>

    >> Ben, thanks again. When I look at the print queue, the first job is
    >> always marked as "printing" or "processing". But nothing actually goes
    >> to the printer as its data light does not blink (as occurs when I print
    >> from WinXP). I am completely baffled now .

    > This normally means that CUPS has deactivated the printer. Open
    > http://localhost:631 and see if the printer shows as active there.

    This is what it says

    Location:
    Printer Driver: Samsung ML-1640 Series
    Printer State: processing, accepting jobs, published.
    Device URI: usb://Samsung/ML-1640%20Series

    I guess cups thinks that the printer is OK.

    --

    jabali

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast