Samsung ML-1640 printer problem - Mandriva

This is a discussion on Samsung ML-1640 printer problem - Mandriva ; Jabali Pragya wrote: > Mark Madsen wrote: > >> On Thu, 18 Sep 2008 08:34:15 +0100, Jabali Pragya wrote: >> >>> Ben Bacarisse wrote: >>> >>>> >>> >>>> My first thought is that the print queue needs to be restarted. ...

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
Results 21 to 25 of 25

  1. Re: Samsung ML-1640 printer problem

    Jabali Pragya wrote:

    > Mark Madsen wrote:

    >>> Ben, thanks again. When I look at the print queue, the first job is
    >>> always marked as "printing" or "processing". But nothing actually goes
    >>> to the printer as its data light does not blink (as occurs when I print
    >>> from WinXP). I am completely baffled now .

    >> This normally means that CUPS has deactivated the printer. Open
    >> http://localhost:631 and see if the printer shows as active there.

    > This is what it says

    > Location:
    > Printer Driver: Samsung ML-1640 Series
    > Printer State: processing, accepting jobs, published.
    > Device URI: usb://Samsung/ML-1640%20Series
    >
    > I guess cups thinks that the printer is OK.

    Sorry to reply to my own post again. I noticed something which may be of
    importance. When I looked in cups printer menu there are two printers. The
    other one is CLP-300splc. For some reason whenever I install the ML-1640
    printer driver, either from the supplied disk or from downloaded tarballs,
    it also gets installed. I have tried to use that but to no effect. Now the
    entry for CLP-300splc reads

    Location:
    Printer Driver: Samsung CLP-300 Series (SPL-C)
    Printer State: idle, accepting jobs, published.
    Device URI: mfp:/dev/mfp4

    This device driver has a location in /dev but looking in the /dev folder I
    could not find mfp4 file. In the dev/usb folder there is only one file lp0.
    Is this of any importance ? Are the printer driver files in right place ?

    --

    jabali

  2. Re: Samsung ML-1640 printer problem

    Jabali Pragya wrote:

    > I bought this printer today but cannot make it work with MDV2008.1 system.
    > Printerdrake does not have a driver for it, so I installed the driver
    > provided on the disk. It actually installed 3 drivers, CLP300, ML2010 &
    > ML1640. I can't get any printing with any of the three drivers.
    >
    > The printer is OK, I attached it to a Windows machine and it worked fine.
    > Linuxprinter.org lists this printer as perfectly working.
    >
    > What should I do next ?

    localhost:631

  3. Re: Samsung ML-1640 printer problem

    Jabali Pragya wrote:
    > Jim Beard wrote:
    >
    >> Jabali Pragya wrote:

    > http://www.samsung.com/sg/support/do...ia_cd=06010400

    >>> Sorry to reply to my own post.
    >>>
    >>> Dave, I downloaded the driver from the site in your post, unpacked it and
    >>> when following the instructions at linux printer site. At the step
    >>> chmod +x /etc/rc.d/cups
    >>> I got the message that there is no such directory.

    >> Do you have cups installed? On my 64-bit system, packages installed
    >> are,
    >>
    >> gutenprint-cups-5.0.2-4mdv2008.1
    >> cups-common-1.3.6-5.1mdv2008.1
    >> libgnomecups-0.2.3-1mdv2008.1
    >> gnome-cups-manager-0.31-5mdv2008.1
    >> cups-1.3.6-5.1mdv2008.1
    >> lib64cups2-1.3.6-5.1mdv2008.1
    >> lib64gnomecupsui-1.0_1-0.31-5mdv2008.1
    >> lib64gnomecups-1.0_1-0.2.3-1mdv2008.1
    >>
    >> You may need to load the Mandriva Linux Control Center (mcc from the
    >> control line, Configure your computer from menu), go to Hardware, and
    >> then to Set up printers and print job queues.
    >>
    >> After all that is set up, for KDE you should launch KDE Control
    >> Center, to Peripherals, to Printers, and in Administrator mode set up
    >> you printer there.
    >>
    >> There is more involved than simply printer drivers.
    >>
    >> Cheers!
    >>
    >> jim b.
    >>

    > Jim, thanks very much for your response. Cups is installed, the printer is
    > listed in both MCC and kde control centre's printer sections as default
    > printer and it also says that CUPS is the print system currently used.
    >
    > When I try to print a file it goes in the print queue and stays there. The
    > first file, if there are more than one, is marked as "printing" but nothing
    > actually goes to the printer as its data light does not blink (as occurs
    > when I print from WinXP).
    >
    > I am completely baffled. This printer is listed in LinuxPrinter.org as
    > perfect. There must be something wrong in my system - but I can't find out
    > what it is

    You might try reading the man pages for the following commands, and
    using them to see what they say about what is going on. lpstat -t
    will tell you if your schedules is running, for example.

    accept(8), cancel(1), cupsenable(8), lp(1), lpadmin(8), lpstat(1),

    Running cups, I have not needed to use anything except cancel and lp
    in ages, but it won't hurt to learn something about them and their
    function in the print system.

    Cheers!

    jim b.

    --
    UNIX is not user unfriendly; it merely
    expects users to be computer-friendly.

  4. Re: Samsung ML-1640 printer problem

    Jabali Pragya writes:

    > Ben Bacarisse wrote:

    >> Silly me. Now you know the print queue is there, the next thing is to
    >> see what the logs say. The ends of the files in /var/log/cups should
    >> be interesting (particularly error_log).
    >>

    > I cleared the print queue two or three times, stopped and restarted cups,
    > turned the printer off & on, changed the usb cable and port but nothing
    > made the printer to work with linux. The cable and port must be OK as the
    > printer works with XP.
    >
    > Ben, /var/log/cups/error.log has last entry for May 2007. This probably
    > relates to my trying to use a multifunctional one at that time.
    >
    > In access.log this is the last entry
    > localhost - - [16/Sep/2008:23:06:48 +0100] "POST / HTTP/1.1" 200 394
    > Get-Jobs successful-ok
    >
    > That is the time when I last tried to print.

    It is possible that there is a low-level problem and I would check
    that first. If you know how to find the USB device that corresponds
    to the printer, send some text to it like this (you might need sudo):

    ls -l > /dev/lp

    (or it might be another name altogether.) You will have to force the
    page to feed using the printer buttons unless you care to try:

    echo -n $'\f' > /dev/lp

    If it works, the problem is probably something in CUPS, if it does not
    the problem is probably[1] some low-level USB issue, but I am not sure
    how to help you fix things either way. Sorry.

    [1] Though not necessarily. Some printers can't take raw text (I am
    told). I doubt this is common, but it does happen apparently.

    --
    Ben.

  5. Re: Samsung ML-1640 printer problem

    Had same problem.....printer worked under Win, dead under Linux even with supplied Samsung drivers and software loaded.

    Tried the below......success

    Have printer connected and turned on.

    Go to http://localhost:631 and install printer and start.
    Note when asked for user, type root and enter your root password.
    Try "print test page".
    I got a message "Unable to start filter rastertosamsungspl no such file or directory".

    The file is on supplied driver CD..... /SAMSUNG_LBP/Linux/x86_64/at_root/usr/lib64/cups/filter
    or /SAMSUNG_LBP/Linux/i386/at_root/usr/lib/cups/filter.

    For Sabayon 4.2, copy rastertosamsungspl to (as root) /usr/libexec/cups/filter

    Stop and restart printer through http://localhost:631

    Next step may be to reinstall Samsung software.....hope it will not mess things up.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2