USB Hard Drive - Mandriva

This is a discussion on USB Hard Drive - Mandriva ; I came into a 5.25 inch, mains powered box with an ATA connector that I had not really intended to purchase. Having got it, I decided to use it t wipe out the contents of a number of hard drives ...

  1. USB Hard Drive

    I came into a 5.25 inch, mains powered box with an ATA connector that I had
    not really intended to purchase. Having got it, I decided to use it t wipe
    out the contents of a number of hard drives that I wish to dispose of.

    The file system comes up in konqueror as media:/sdb
    Unfortunately, I cannot seem to delete anything. If I bring up konqueror
    as 'root' and open /media the new drive shows up (eventually)
    under /media/disk but I still cannot delete anything.

  2. Re: USB Hard Drive

    On Sunday 14 September 2008 23:19, someone identifying as *Alan Secker*
    wrote in /alt.os.linux.mandriva:/

    > I came into a 5.25 inch, mains powered box with an ATA connector that I
    > had not really intended to purchase. Having got it, I decided to use it t
    > wipe out the contents of a number of hard drives that I wish to dispose
    > of.
    >
    > The file system comes up in konqueror as media:/sdb
    > Unfortunately, I cannot seem to delete anything. If I bring up konqueror
    > as 'root' and open /media the new drive shows up (eventually)
    > under /media/disk but I still cannot delete anything.

    Have you tried mounting them manually and checking from the commandline?

    mount -t auto /dev/sdb /media/disk

    The above said, if those disks came from a hardware RAID adapter or
    something that pretends to be one, then it is possible that partition
    boundaries and such were optimized for that controller only and that they
    may be unreadable on another controller.

    Likewise, if the disks were in a RAID 0 configuration before, their contents
    will be useless when connected to a regular disk controller.

    See, this is yet another fine example as to why I don't like all those
    automounting gimmicks. I prefer the clean and simple setup with
    the /mount/ and /umount/ commands and */etc/fstab.*

    Guess I'm oldfashioned. :-)

    --
    *Aragorn*
    (registered GNU/Linux user #223157)

  3. Re: USB Hard Drive

    On Monday 15 September 2008 00:33, someone identifying as *Aragorn* wrote
    in /alt.os.linux.mandriva:/

    > On Sunday 14 September 2008 23:19, someone identifying as *Alan Secker*
    > wrote in /alt.os.linux.mandriva:/
    >
    >> I came into a 5.25 inch, mains powered box with an ATA connector that I
    >> had not really intended to purchase. Having got it, I decided to use it t
    >> wipe out the contents of a number of hard drives that I wish to dispose
    >> of.
    >>
    >> The file system comes up in konqueror as media:/sdb
    >> Unfortunately, I cannot seem to delete anything. If I bring up konqueror
    >> as 'root' and open /media the new drive shows up (eventually)
    >> under /media/disk but I still cannot delete anything.

    > Have you tried mounting them manually and checking from the commandline?
    >
    > mount -t auto /dev/sdb /media/disk
    >
    > The above said, if those disks came from a hardware RAID adapter or
    > something that pretends to be one, then it is possible that partition
    > boundaries and such were optimized for that controller only and that they
    > may be unreadable on another controller.
    >
    > Likewise, if the disks were in a RAID 0 configuration before, their
    > contents will be useless when connected to a regular disk controller.
    >
    > See, this is yet another fine example as to why I don't like all those
    > automounting gimmicks. I prefer the clean and simple setup with
    > the /mount/ and /umount/ commands and */etc/fstab.*
    >
    > Guess I'm oldfashioned. :-)

    In addition - I forgot to mention this - one needs to be root in order to
    mount hard disk partitions, and if they are not formatted with a UNIX
    filesystem, then typically only the root user would have the proper
    permissions to peruse the filesystems.

    --
    *Aragorn*
    (registered GNU/Linux user #223157)

  4. Re: USB Hard Drive

    On Sun, 14 Sep 2008 17:19:59 -0400, Alan Secker wrote:

    > I came into a 5.25 inch, mains powered box with an ATA connector that I had
    > not really intended to purchase. Having got it, I decided to use it t wipe
    > out the contents of a number of hard drives that I wish to dispose of.
    >
    > The file system comes up in konqueror as media:/sdb

    What does "/sbin/sfdisk -l /dev/sdb" or "/sbin/fdisk -l /dev/sdb" show?
    Are there any partitions on the drive?

    I would use diskdrake, or cfdisk, to delete the existing partitions (if any),
    then create a single partition (/dev/sdb1) using all available space, format it
    as ext2, and then wipe it with
    "dd if=/dev/zero of=/dev/sdb1 bs=4096 count=xxxx" where xxxx would be replaced
    with a number larger than the number of sectors in the partition x 512 / 4096.

    Regards, Dave Hodgins

  5. Re: USB Hard Drive

    David W. Hodgins wrote:

    > On Sun, 14 Sep 2008 17:19:59 -0400, Alan Secker
    > wrote:
    >
    >> I came into a 5.25 inch, mains powered box with an ATA connector that I
    >> had not really intended to purchase. Having got it, I decided to use it t
    >> wipe out the contents of a number of hard drives that I wish to dispose
    >> of.
    >>
    >> The file system comes up in konqueror as media:/sdb

    > What does "/sbin/sfdisk -l /dev/sdb" or "/sbin/fdisk -l /dev/sdb" show?
    > Are there any partitions on the drive?
    >
    > I would use diskdrake, or cfdisk, to delete the existing partitions (if
    > any), then create a single partition (/dev/sdb1) using all available
    > space, format it as ext2, and then wipe it with
    > "dd if=/dev/zero of=/dev/sdb1 bs=4096 count=xxxx" where xxxx would be
    > replaced with a number larger than the number of sectors in the partition
    > x 512 / 4096.
    >
    > Regards, Dave Hodgins

    Although #mount -t auto /dev/sdb /media/disk does mount the drive, deletions
    are incredibly slow (this drive holds a linux file syatem at present).

    However I tried:

    [root@localhost alan]# /sbin/fdisk -l /dev/sdb

    Which returned:

    Disk /dev/sdb: 6448 MB, 6448619520 bytes
    199 heads, 62 sectors/track, 1020 cylinders
    Units = cylinders of 12338 * 512 = 6317056 bytes
    Disk identifier: 0x00000000

    Disk /dev/sdb doesn't contain a valid partition table

    Puzzling

    Alan

  6. Re: USB Hard Drive

    On Tue, 16 Sep 2008 16:32:45 -0400, Alan Secker wrote:

    > [root@localhost alan]# /sbin/fdisk -l /dev/sdb
    >
    > Which returned:
    >
    > Disk /dev/sdb: 6448 MB, 6448619520 bytes
    > 199 heads, 62 sectors/track, 1020 cylinders
    > Units = cylinders of 12338 * 512 = 6317056 bytes
    > Disk identifier: 0x00000000
    >
    > Disk /dev/sdb doesn't contain a valid partition table

    There is no requirement for a dos style partition table, if the entire drive
    is used for one filesystem. Unusual, and dangerous if the drive will ever
    be connected to a windows system, as windows will overwrite the first sector
    with a blank partition table, without any warning.

    Given that deleting files doesn't remove the data from the drive, I'd just run
    "dd if=/dev/zero of=/dev/sdb bs=4096 count=1574371". For the really paranoid,
    run "dd if=/dev/urandom of=/dev/sdb bs=4096 count=1574371" a few times, or
    take the drive apart and destroy the platters.

    Regards, Dave Hodgins

  7. Re: USB Hard Drive

    Alan Secker wrote:

    > I came into a 5.25 inch, mains powered box with an ATA connector that I

    You are less than 5.25" to "come into" which translates to "fit in", maybe
    with a little squeezing? ;-)

    Now, that box has a ATA connector on the back, to connect to the PC, or
    which type of connector otherwise?
    If the cable length of the ATA cable exceeds 45cm you may have to slowdown
    the transfer rate ... or better forget about it.

    > had not really intended to purchase. Having got it, I decided to use it t
    > wipe out the contents of a number of hard drives that I wish to dispose
    > of.
    >
    > The file system comes up in konqueror as media:/sdb
    > Unfortunately, I cannot seem to delete anything. If I bring up konqueror
    > as 'root' and open /media the new drive shows up (eventually)
    > under /media/disk but I still cannot delete anything.

    Are there any DMA related messages passing by when you
    tail -f /var/log/syslog in a console window, and access that box?

  8. Re: USB Hard Drive

    wisdomkiller & pain wrote:

    > Now, that box has a ATA connector on the back, to connect to the PC, or
    > which type of connector otherwise?

    Aaaargh. Why didn't "USB hard drive" appear in the text somewhere?
    If you attach the device to a known usb2-capable port, what is the
    output of dmesg?
    Again, look for messages relating to the /dev/sdX device
    running "tail -f /var/log/syslog" while you transfer or (attempt to) delete
    files. If it is really only a 6G drive, you may use it as a paperweight and
    try to put another one in the box.

+ Reply to Thread