Postfix problem: Cannot get mail from internet - Mandriva

This is a discussion on Postfix problem: Cannot get mail from internet - Mandriva ; On Mon, 15 Sep 2008 19:06:06 -0400, David W. Hodgins wrote: > On Mon, 15 Sep 2008 17:58:30 -0400, Jim Whitby > wrote: > >> Next on my list, I just have to find someone to hit me on port ...

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
Results 21 to 30 of 30

  1. Re: Postfix problem: Cannot get mail from internet

    On Mon, 15 Sep 2008 19:06:06 -0400, David W. Hodgins wrote:

    > On Mon, 15 Sep 2008 17:58:30 -0400, Jim Whitby
    > wrote:
    >
    >> Next on my list, I just have to find someone to hit me on port 25 or
    >> have a login remotely so I can do it.

    > I went ahead and tested it ...
    >
    > $ telnet deesfantasyplace.com 25
    > Trying 76.160.150.91...
    >
    > Connected to deesfantasyplace.com (76.160.150.91).
    >
    > Escape character is '^]'.
    >
    > 220 dee.deesfantasyplace.com ESMTP Postfix (2.5.4) (Mandriva Linux) EHLO
    >
    > 250-dee.deesfantasyplace.com
    > 250-PIPELINING
    > 250-SIZE 10240000
    > 250-VRFY
    > 250-ETRN
    > 250-ENHANCEDSTATUSCODES
    > 250-8BITMIME
    > 250 DSN
    > MAIL FROM:dave@hodgins.homeip.net
    > 250 2.1.0 Ok
    > RCPT TO: 250 2.1.5 Ok
    > DATA
    > 354 End data with .
    > SUBJECT: Test using telnet
    > FROM: dave@hodgins.homeip.net
    > TO: jim mungeddeesfantasyplace.com
    >
    > A test being captured useing telnet
    > .
    > 250 2.0.0 Ok: queued as 5519C263D0
    > close
    >
    > Soo it looks like your router is forwarding it to the computer
    > dee.deesfantasyplace.com
    >
    > Regards, Dave Hodgins

    Thank you!

    I have moved the DMZ to a different machine, which is working now. I'm
    still trying to find out why the first machine won't work. Same os,
    postfix, etc.

    Why one works and the other dosen't is driving me nuts.

    --
    Windows 98 is guaranteed to make your system 98% slower.
    ----------------------

  2. Re: Postfix problem: Cannot get mail from internet

    On Mon, 15 Sep 2008 16:58:30 -0500, Jim Whitby wrote:
    > On Mon, 15 Sep 2008 04:21:14 +0000, Bit Twister wrote:
    >

    > Trying a telnet to the outside address (seems) to work, but I don't
    > really trust it.

    Since routing is based on ip addresses, you can use the ip address
    instead of the name.

    You have to break the path to the shortest point for testing. If you
    can use a local node and prove postfix is accepting mail then you know
    the problem is up line.

    If you
    mail -s "testshot" jim@xx.160.150.91 < /dev/null
    then wireshark should show a hit. Assuming the node you are testing
    from can route mail to that MTA.

    > Nothing local uses reverse lookups, so I haven't setup reverse files.

    Ok, think about this. If 2007.x postfix worked, there is nothing wrong
    with postfix 2008.x using the 2007.x postfix's main.cf changes. Last
    postfix config file changes I can remember was back on Mandrake 8.x or 9.x.

    If there were postfix problems, you would have seen a rash of postfix posts
    here or found them with a search engine.

    On the other hand, I never copy config files from one release to another.
    So, something could have changed an I would have missed it.
    I copy the new install config file to file_orig, then make my changes.
    Also allows me to do something like "diff main.cf main.cf_orig"
    to find my changes.

    I asked you to read the documentation to understand what the fields mean.
    Your mind set about a postfix problem and not an IP problem, has
    caused you to take off on yet another snipe hunt; in my stupid opinion.

    You talked about reverse lookup. Let's look at
    mydestination = $myhostname localhost.$mydomain localhost $mydomain

    If postfix looks up 76.160.150.91 and runs these checks,
    static-76-160-150-91.dsl.cavtel.net = jim.deesfantasyplace.com NO
    static-76-160-150-91.dsl.cavtel.net = localhost.deesfantasyplace.com NO
    static-76-160-150-91.dsl.cavtel.net = localhost NO
    cavtel.net = deesfantasyplace.com NO
    then do not accept it.

    Do not rush off and assume a fix at this point. :-)

    I assume your router is set up as NAT and not a bridge.

    As I misunderstand it, I send a message to jim@mail.dees_fantasy_place.com

    My resolver says 76.160.150.91 should get the connection. Off goes the SMTP
    packet to 76.160.150.91

    Your router catches, 76.160.150.91 for the SMTP port and changes
    the dest=your_dmz_ip_here in the packet header.

    Notice, 76.160.150.91 disappeared from ip routing on jim.deesfantasyplace.com

    I would then assume your_dmz_ip_here resolves to your_dmz_FQDN_here. Now

    your_dmz_FQDN_here = jim.deesfantasyplace.com and postfix should accept
    the email.

    You might want to verify
    hostname --ip-address
    equals value in /sbin/ifconfig inet addr:

    Once inside postfix, postfix reads the /to:/ field, sees
    jim@mail.dees_fantasy_place.com
    resolves the above to a LAN ip address and routes within your LAN domain.

    The dees_fantasy_place.com inside the lan is not in the 76.160.150.91
    address range.

    FYI: Underscores added to help keep down on possible spam.

    Hopefully if any of the above is incorrect, someone will correct me.

  3. Re: Postfix problem: Cannot get mail from internet

    On Mon, 15 Sep 2008 23:48:35 +0000, Bit Twister wrote:

> [...]

    > dest=your_dmz_ip_here in the packet header.
    >
    > Notice, 76.160.150.91 disappeared from ip routing on
    > jim.deesfantasyplace.com
    >
    > I would then assume your_dmz_ip_here resolves to your_dmz_FQDN_here. Now
    >
    > your_dmz_FQDN_here = jim.deesfantasyplace.com and postfix should accept
    > the email.
    >
    > You might want to verify
    > hostname --ip-address
    > equals value in /sbin/ifconfig inet addr:
    >

    > Once inside postfix, postfix reads the /to:/ field, sees
    > jim@mail.dees_fantasy_place.com
    > resolves the above to a LAN ip address and routes within your LAN
    > domain.
    >
    > The dees_fantasy_place.com inside the lan is not in the 76.160.150.91
    > address range.
    >
    > FYI: Underscores added to help keep down on possible spam.
    >
    > Hopefully if any of the above is incorrect, someone will correct me.

    All of the above is understood.

    The config files were not moved (postfix), but modified to include the
    old minor changes.

    Postfix functions for local mail. That is, mail from local host is
    processed properly.

    I'm not opposed to an ip problem, I'm not opposed to a router problem, in
    that for whatever reason it won't accept .21 as the DMZ ( or at least for
    port 25 ), but will accept .100.

    I finally reached the point where I was going in circles and stopped.
    Setup the same cfg files on the other machine and it works.

    I didn't think it was an error with postfix in general, but my setup of
    it.

    Everything else appeared to function properly, so the problem should be
    in my setup of postfix ( and it still maybe! ).

    I didn't/don't rule out anything completely, but it sure *look* like a
    misconfiguration of postfix.

    Not being able to see any activity on port 25 ( I couldn't be certain
    anything was attempting access from the router ), made things just that
    much more difficult.

    Now that mail is working ( and old woman is off my case ), I can go at
    this with some better logic.

    I *suspect* the original problem was the updated cfg file had as the
    default to only accept mail from local ips. Not seeing this lead me to
    move the server to this machine and start troubleshooting it here, which
    has, apperantly, additional problems. Having corrected the interface to
    accept mail from all ( which is the default ) and moving it back to the
    other machine is what made it work properly there.

    Now to find out what is wrong here.

    When I do find the problem, I'll post the answer here.

    I do want to thankyou for your help ( and I may just need some more
    before I'm finished ).

    I'll start by verifing port 25 is in fact forwarded to this machine when
    setup as the DMZ.

    I just have to be real carefull not to disrupt getting the old woman's
    email.

    Again.

    Thanks

    Jim

    --
    There's nothing like good food, good wine, and a bad girl.
    ----------------------
    Mandriva Linux release 2008.1 (Official) for x86_64
    2.6.24.7-server-1mnb AMD Athlon(tm) 64 X2 Dual Core Processor 5000+
    ----------------------

  4. Re: Postfix problem: Cannot get mail from internet [SOLVED kinda]

    Now I'm really stumped.

    The problem isn't with postfix or the machines. The problem is with the
    router or seems to be anyway.

    It *appears* the DMZ address is not *really* changing when I change it!

    The router is a run of the mill Linksys wrtg54S v7.0. Has the latest bios
    update. It has a simple interface to setup the DMZ, enable/disable and
    the address of the DMZ host.

    It has been setup as 192.168.1.100 for ages. I changed it to .21 to do
    the troubleshooting of postfix.

    Having "cured" postix, I set it back to .100. Everything is fine.

    To do some checks, I changed to to .21 again. Setupwire shark on both
    machines, sent some mail from yahoo.

    The mail goes to .100 !!! Reboot the router. Mail goes to .100 again!
    Check the router, yep, set to .21.

    Nothing strange about the setup, wifi is on, no port triggers, etc
    ( except the DMZ ) dhcp is enabled, but not used except for the wifi,
    static ip for the WAN ( yes BT, it is setup as a gateway, not a router )

    What am I not seeing? Some kinda ARP cache? Some net god saying, "You
    don't really wanna do that, send it over there." ?

    Suggestions? questions?

  5. Re: Postfix problem: Cannot get mail from internet [SOLVED kinda]

    On Tue, 16 Sep 2008 13:20:16 -0400, Jim Whitby wrote:

    > It has been setup as 192.168.1.100 for ages. I changed it to .21 to do
    > the troubleshooting of postfix.

    Check the router configuration for forwarding options. I suspect port 21
    has explicitly been forwared to .100, overriding the dmz setting.

    Regards, Dave Hodgins

  6. Re: Postfix problem: Cannot get mail from internet [SOLVED kinda]

    On Tue, 16 Sep 2008 13:41:28 -0400, David W. Hodgins wrote:

    > On Tue, 16 Sep 2008 13:20:16 -0400, Jim Whitby
    > wrote:
    >
    >> It has been setup as 192.168.1.100 for ages. I changed it to .21 to do
    >> the troubleshooting of postfix.

    > Check the router configuration for forwarding options. I suspect port
    > 21 has explicitly been forwared to .100, overriding the dmz setting.
    >
    > Regards, Dave Hodgins

    No explicit port forwarding is enabled. Table is empty, as is the port
    trigger table.

    --
    "In the long run, every program becomes rococo, and then rubble."
    -- Alan Perlis
    Mandriva Linux release 2008.1 (Official) for x86_64
    2.6.24.7-server-1mnb AMD Athlon(tm) 64 X2 Dual Core Processor 5000+
    ----------------------

  7. Re: Postfix problem: Cannot get mail from internet [SOLVED kinda]

    On Tue, 16 Sep 2008 13:41:28 -0400, David W. Hodgins wrote:

    > On Tue, 16 Sep 2008 13:20:16 -0400, Jim Whitby
    > wrote:
    >
    >> It has been setup as 192.168.1.100 for ages. I changed it to .21 to do
    >> the troubleshooting of postfix.

    > Check the router configuration for forwarding options. I suspect port
    > 21 has explicitly been forwared to .100, overriding the dmz setting.
    >
    > Regards, Dave Hodgins

    As a side note.

    Will the port forward table override the DMZ setting? I have some
    torrents running that are on a different machine and using UPNP for them
    right now.

    Priviously I had a port forward table to handle all of the forwarding
    ( DMZ disabled ), I forget why, but I had a root port going to a
    different machine using the table to do it all.

    Hmmm... Maybe I should try the table for port 25, just to see what
    happens....

    --
    Don't tell any big lies today. Small ones can be just as effective.
    ----------------------
    Mandriva Linux release 2008.1 (Official) for x86_64
    2.6.24.7-server-1mnb AMD Athlon(tm) 64 X2 Dual Core Processor 5000+
    ----------------------

  8. Re: Postfix problem: Cannot get mail from internet [SOLVED kinda]

    On Tue, 16 Sep 2008 17:56:41 -0500, Jim Whitby wrote:

    > Hmmm... Maybe I should try the table for port 25, just to see what
    > happens....

    I would also stop the network on the DMZ, unplug the nic cables from
    the router going to other systems, power down the router for 30
    seconds, power up the router, service network restart on the dmz
    then plug in another box, restart it's network and see what happens.

  9. Re: Postfix problem: Cannot get mail from internet [SOLVED kinda]

    On Tue, 16 Sep 2008 23:02:54 +0000, Bit Twister wrote:

    > On Tue, 16 Sep 2008 17:56:41 -0500, Jim Whitby wrote:
    >>
    >> Hmmm... Maybe I should try the table for port 25, just to see what
    >> happens....

    > I would also stop the network on the DMZ, unplug the nic cables from the
    > router going to other systems, power down the router for 30 seconds,
    > power up the router, service network restart on the dmz then plug in
    > another box, restart it's network and see what happens.

    Network stopped. Cables unplugged. Router set to .21 for DMZ. Power down
    the router. (1 min later ) Power up the router. Connect only the .21
    machine. Restart the network. Connect to yahoo, send mail.

    Nothing.

    Reconnect .100. Restart network. Check mail. Its on .100.

    For what its worth... From .100

    arp -a
    router.deesfantasyplace.com (192.168.1.1) at 00:1a:70:7d:f6:25 [ether] on
    eth1
    jim.deesfantasyplace.com (192.168.1.21) at 00:1e:8c:65:3d:c8 [ether] on
    eth1

    From .21

    arp -a
    router.deesfantasyplace.com (192.168.1.1) at 00:1A:70:7D:F6:25 [ether] on
    eth0
    dee.deesfantasyplace.com (192.168.1.100) at 00:0F:EA:7B:25:F2 [ether] on
    eth0

    Wish I had a spare router about now.

    --
    You cannot use your friends and have them too.
    ----------------------
    Mandriva Linux release 2008.1 (Official) for x86_64
    2.6.24.7-server-1mnb AMD Athlon(tm) 64 X2 Dual Core Processor 5000+
    ----------------------

  10. Re: Postfix problem: Cannot get mail from internet [SOLVED]

    Cure 1: Postfix:

    Remove the added "inet_interface = local"
    or
    Add "inet-interface = all"
    Your choice.

    Cure 2: Router:

    Reset to factory defaults. Add in all the old info, change the DMZ
    to .21. It works!! Change the DMZ to .100. It works!!

    It *appears* that a table in the port forwarding was not being cleared,
    even though it showed as empty ( this is really just a guess on my part,
    I don't really have a clue where whatever was being retained that caused
    the DMZ to not function properly ).

    Thanks to all who tried to help.

    --
    Every time I look at you I am more convinced of Darwin's theory.