Unable to open konqueror as root - Mandriva

This is a discussion on Unable to open konqueror as root - Mandriva ; This also applies to dolphin under KDE4 in 2009.0 rc1. I get several messages, the most common being: 1) Cannot find the D-Bus seessiom server. 2) kdeinit4: communication error with launcher, Exiting! 3) Cannot delete //roor/.kde4/share/apps/konqueror/autosave/owned_by 4) No Ksycoco4 database ...

  1. Unable to open konqueror as root

    This also applies to dolphin under KDE4 in 2009.0 rc1.

    I get several messages, the most common being:

    1) Cannot find the D-Bus seessiom server.
    2) kdeinit4: communication error with launcher, Exiting!
    3) Cannot delete //roor/.kde4/share/apps/konqueror/autosave/owned_by
    4) No Ksycoco4 database available (maybe a typo or two here).

    I was trying to save some icons under/usr/share/icon/.... at the time.

    This an EEE PC901 machine if that matters.

  2. Re: Unable to open konqueror as root

    Alan Secker wrote:

    > This also applies to dolphin under KDE4 in 2009.0 rc1.
    >
    > I get several messages, the most common being:
    >
    > 1) Cannot find the D-Bus seessiom server.
    > 2) kdeinit4: communication error with launcher, Exiting!
    > 3) Cannot delete //roor/.kde4/share/apps/konqueror/autosave/owned_by
    > 4) No Ksycoco4 database available (maybe a typo or two here).
    >
    > I was trying to save some icons under/usr/share/icon/.... at the time.
    >
    > This an EEE PC901 machine if that matters.

    How did you become root? You need to use 'su -' and not 'su' on 2009.

    Jim

  3. Re: Unable to open konqueror as root

    James Kerr wrote:

    > Alan Secker wrote:
    >
    >> This also applies to dolphin under KDE4 in 2009.0 rc1.
    >>
    >> I get several messages, the most common being:
    >>
    >> 1) Cannot find the D-Bus seessiom server.
    >> 2) kdeinit4: communication error with launcher, Exiting!
    >> 3) Cannot delete //roor/.kde4/share/apps/konqueror/autosave/owned_by
    >> 4) No Ksycoco4 database available (maybe a typo or two here).
    >>
    >> I was trying to save some icons under/usr/share/icon/.... at the time.
    >>
    >> This an EEE PC901 machine if that matters.

    > How did you become root? You need to use 'su -' and not 'su' on 2009.
    >
    > Jim

    Blimey! What on earth did they do that for?
    It worked of course.
    Thank you.

    Regards

    Alan

  4. Re: Unable to open konqueror as root

    Alan Secker wrote:

    > James Kerr wrote:

    [snip]
    >> How did you become root? You need to use 'su -' and not 'su' on
    >> 2009.

    [snip]
    > Blimey! What on earth did they do that for?

    [snip]

    "su --help" or "info su". The environment is different.

    --
    Peter D.
    Sig goes here...

  5. Re: Unable to open konqueror as root

    Peter D. wrote:

    > Alan Secker wrote:
    >
    >> James Kerr wrote:

    > [snip]
    >>> How did you become root? You need to use 'su -' and not 'su' on
    >>> 2009.

    > [snip]
    >> Blimey! What on earth did they do that for?

    > [snip]
    >
    > "su --help" or "info su". The environment is different.

    ??????????

    Why should it be su -? The su command do not need any arguments to be run.

    Is it another KDE4 bug? Or is the MDV team becomming wintrolls? Still
    expecting some advantages? The wind of change? God in an alcove? Me
    becoming too old?

    Should I now expect 2009.1 to be better than 2009.0 or will april 2009 be
    the time to me to move from MDV to Debian? I don't hope so... I was always
    well served from 9.2 to 2008.0!

  6. Re: Unable to open konqueror as root

    F8BOE wrote:

    > Peter D. wrote:
    >
    >> Alan Secker wrote:
    >>
    >>> James Kerr wrote:

    >> [snip]

    >> [snip]
    >>> Blimey! What on earth did they do that for?

    >> [snip]
    >>
    >> "su --help" or "info su". The environment is different.
    >>

    > ??????????
    >

    > Why should it be su -? The su command do not need any arguments to
    > be run.

    Correct "su" does not need any arguments, but can take some
    which might be useful.

    The "-" argument causes some variables to be set differently.
    Apparently, in KDE4 Konqueror needs that.

    I can't give you a definitive answer, but here is a cut and
    paste from "info su" in 2008.1;

    `-'
    `-l'
    `--login'
    Make the shell a login shell. This means the following.
    Unset all environment variables except `TERM', `HOME', and
    `SHELL' (which are set as described above), and `USER' and
    `LOGNAME' (which are set, even for the super-user, as
    described above), and set `PATH' to a compiled-in default
    value. Change to USER's home directory. Prepend `-' to the
    shell's name, intended to make it read its login startup
    file(s).

    > Is it another KDE4 bug? Or is the MDV team becomming wintrolls?
    > Still expecting some advantages? The wind of change? God in an
    > alcove? Me becoming too old?
    >
    > Should I now expect 2009.1 to be better than 2009.0 or will april
    > 2009 be the time to me to move from MDV to Debian? I don't hope
    > so... I was always well served from 9.2 to 2008.0!

    --
    Peter D.
    Sig goes here...

  7. Re: Unable to open konqueror as root

    F8BOE wrote:
    > Peter D. wrote:
    >
    >> Alan Secker wrote:
    >>
    >>> James Kerr wrote:

    >> [snip]

    >> [snip]
    >>> Blimey! What on earth did they do that for?

    >> [snip]
    >>
    >> "su --help" or "info su". The environment is different.

    > ??????????
    >

    > Why should it be su -? The su command do not need any arguments to be run.

    The command su gives you ownership and permissions of root, but your
    environmental variables (run set to see a list of those active) will
    remain the same. The $PATH variable and any setting in
    $HOME/.configdirs&files in particular will remain those of you as
    user unless you use su -.

    Cheers!

    jim b.

    --
    UNIX is not user unfriendly; it merely
    expects users to be computer-friendly.

  8. Re: Unable to open konqueror as root

    Peter D. wrote:

    > F8BOE wrote:
    >
    >> Peter D. wrote:

    >>> [snip]
    >>>
    >>> [snip]
    >>> [snip]
    >>>
    >>> "su --help" or "info su". The environment is different.
    >>>

    >> ??????????
    >>

    >> Why should it be su -? The su command do not need any arguments to
    >> be run.

    > Correct "su" does not need any arguments, but can take some
    > which might be useful.
    >
    > The "-" argument causes some variables to be set differently.
    > Apparently, in KDE4 Konqueror needs that.
    >
    > I can't give you a definitive answer, but here is a cut and
    > paste from "info su" in 2008.1;
    >

    > `-'
    > `-l'
    > `--login'
    > Make the shell a login shell. This means the following.
    > Unset all environment variables except `TERM', `HOME', and
    > `SHELL' (which are set as described above), and `USER' and
    > `LOGNAME' (which are set, even for the super-user, as
    > described above), and set `PATH' to a compiled-in default
    > value. Change to USER's home directory. Prepend `-' to the
    > shell's name, intended to make it read its login startup
    > file(s).
    >

    >> Is it another KDE4 bug? Or is the MDV team becomming wintrolls?
    >> Still expecting some advantages? The wind of change? God in an
    >> alcove? Me becoming too old?
    >>
    >> Should I now expect 2009.1 to be better than 2009.0 or will april
    >> 2009 be the time to me to move from MDV to Debian? I don't hope
    >> so... I was always well served from 9.2 to 2008.0!

    Ah yes, OK! It seems that the little "-" will also grow up the /root
    subfolder as if the "admin" will log in a GUI root session... Could be
    dangerous...

    Well, I'll see with the upcoming 2009.0 laptop install for a colleague.

+ Reply to Thread