Mdv 2009 - can I still have KDE3? - Mandriva

This is a discussion on Mdv 2009 - can I still have KDE3? - Mandriva ; I notice that the available versions of 2009 r.c.1 are only for KDE4, which just increases the current bloat of the KDE desktop. No wonder they are making it available to Windows users. Nobody else would want it. A diet ...

  1. Mdv 2009 - can I still have KDE3?

    I notice that the available versions of 2009 r.c.1 are only for KDE4, which
    just increases the current bloat of the KDE desktop. No wonder they are
    making it available to Windows users. Nobody else would want it. A diet of
    eye candy isn't very nourishing.

    I am starting to get the feel of Xfce4, which is much closer to the Linux
    tradition that the user is in control of the computer, not the other way
    around.

    Will KDE 3 still be available?

    Doug.
    --
    "Vista's special security feature: you can't hack an OS that's been put back
    in the cardboard box." Comment at http://www.theregister.co.uk/

  2. Re: Mdv 2009 - can I still have KDE3?

    Doug Laidlaw wrote:

    > I notice that the available versions of 2009 r.c.1 are only for KDE4,
    > which
    > just increases the current bloat of the KDE desktop. No wonder they are
    > making it available to Windows users. Nobody else would want it. A diet
    > of eye candy isn't very nourishing.
    >
    > I am starting to get the feel of Xfce4, which is much closer to the Linux
    > tradition that the user is in control of the computer, not the other way
    > around.
    >
    > Will KDE 3 still be available?

    KDE3.5.10 will be available, but it will be in contrib, not officially
    supported (i.e. no guarantee of bug-fix or security updates) and there will
    be no installation media (it will have to be installed from the mirrors by
    installing task-kde3).

    Jim

  3. Re: Mdv 2009 - can I still have KDE3?

    Doug Laidlaw wrote:

    > I notice that the available versions of 2009 r.c.1 are only for
    > KDE4, which
    > just increases the current bloat of the KDE desktop. No wonder they
    > are
    > making it available to Windows users. Nobody else would want it. A
    > diet of eye candy isn't very nourishing.
    >
    > I am starting to get the feel of Xfce4, which is much closer to the
    > Linux tradition that the user is in control of the computer, not the
    > other way around.
    >
    > Will KDE 3 still be available?

    Writing confidently from a position of ignorance...

    Yes KDE 3 is still there, but there are only Gnome and KDE 4 versions
    of the live ONE CD, and the three CD set does not have room for the
    "obsolete" KDE version. I'm not sure about the DVD. Once you set
    up your repositories it should be available whatever your installation
    method was. Which is just as well because KDE 4 does not seem to be
    quite finished yet.

    --
    Peter D.
    Sig goes here...

  4. Re: Mdv 2009 - can I still have KDE3?

    James Kerr wrote:

    > Doug Laidlaw wrote:
    >
    >> I notice that the available versions of 2009 r.c.1 are only for KDE4,
    >> which
    >> just increases the current bloat of the KDE desktop. No wonder they are
    >> making it available to Windows users. Nobody else would want it. A diet
    >> of eye candy isn't very nourishing.
    >>
    >> I am starting to get the feel of Xfce4, which is much closer to the Linux
    >> tradition that the user is in control of the computer, not the other way
    >> around.
    >>
    >> Will KDE 3 still be available?
    >>

    > KDE3.5.10 will be available, but it will be in contrib, not officially
    > supported (i.e. no guarantee of bug-fix or security updates) and there
    > will be no installation media (it will have to be installed from the
    > mirrors by installing task-kde3).
    >
    > Jim

    Thanks Jim.

    Every time I run Xfce I finish up with a GNOME desktop and panel - something
    to do with the wastebin launcher. Xfce seems from its home page to borrow
    a lot from GNOME.

    Doug.
    --
    "Vista's special security feature: you can't hack an OS that's been put back
    in the cardboard box." Comment at http://www.theregister.co.uk/

+ Reply to Thread