run ASP pages on linux - Mandriva

This is a discussion on run ASP pages on linux - Mandriva ; Hi, I need to learn ASP (Active Server Pages) programming, what do i need for this ? I am running Mandriva 2008.1 KDE 3.5....

  1. run ASP pages on linux

    Hi, I need to learn ASP (Active Server Pages) programming, what do i
    need for this ? I am running Mandriva 2008.1 KDE 3.5.

  2. Re: run ASP pages on linux

    Sindhu wrote:

    > Hi, I need to learn ASP (Active Server Pages) programming, what do i
    > need for this ? I am running Mandriva 2008.1 KDE 3.5.

    ASP if for MS. There is ASP for linux but this is a closed source product
    (from another company).

    To learn web standards and programming, the best online tutorial is
    certainly here: http://www.w3schools.com

  3. Re: run ASP pages on linux

    On Wednesday 10 September 2008 17:10, someone identifying as *Sindhu* wrote
    in /alt.os.linux.mandriva:/

    > Hi, I need to learn ASP (Active Server Pages) programming, what do i
    > need for this ? I am running Mandriva 2008.1 KDE 3.5.

    I can't give you any advice on tutorials or editors to use for ASP, although
    most editors in GNU/Linux support syntax highlighting.

    What I can tell you is that the Apache webserver supports ASP extensions, so
    you can experiment with it a bit if you like. Read The /Fine/ Manuals,
    though. ;-)

    --
    *Aragorn*
    (registered GNU/Linux user #223157)

  4. Re: run ASP pages on linux

    On Wed, 10 Sep 2008 08:10:05 -0700, Sindhu wrote:

    > Hi, I need to learn ASP (Active Server Pages) programming, what do i
    > need for this ? I am running Mandriva 2008.1 KDE 3.5.

    JSP and PHP are working fine on Linux. Microsoft is not, however, known
    for its support of the Linux platform. You can mix the environments but
    a chinese wall is more comfortable.

    If it's simply a matter of running ASP on IIS but writing the ASP code on
    Linux, then pick your favourite text editor and make sure that you can
    upload the pages via FTP to the server.

  5. Re: run ASP pages on linux

    On Sep 10, 10:28*pm, Mark Madsen wrote:
    > On Wed, 10 Sep 2008 08:10:05 -0700, Sindhu wrote:
    > > Hi, I need to learn ASP (Active Server Pages) programming, what do i
    > > need for this ? I am running Mandriva 2008.1 KDE 3.5.

    > JSP and PHP are working fine on Linux. *Microsoft is not, however, known
    > for its support of the Linux platform. *You can mix the environments but
    > a chinese wall is more comfortable.
    >
    > If it's simply a matter of running ASP on IIS but writing the ASP code on
    > Linux, then pick your favourite text editor and make sure that you can
    > upload the pages via FTP to the server.

    I found that java web server pages is able to run asp code on linux,
    should i buy that ?

    i have installed apache but the webpage does not execute the code
    because its vbscript, i need something like java web server pages
    ( Sun(TM) Java System Active Server Pages 4.0.3)...

    if i buy this, how am i to install it?

  6. Re: run ASP pages on linux

    On Sep 11, 7:50*am, Sindhu wrote:
    > On Sep 10, 10:28*pm, Mark Madsen wrote:
    >
    > > On Wed, 10 Sep 2008 08:10:05 -0700, Sindhu wrote:
    > > > Hi, I need to learn ASP (Active Server Pages) programming, what do i
    > > > need for this ? I am running Mandriva 2008.1 KDE 3.5.

    > > JSP and PHP are working fine on Linux. *Microsoft is not, however, known
    > > for its support of the Linux platform. *You can mix the environments but
    > > a chinese wall is more comfortable.

    > > If it's simply a matter of running ASP on IIS but writing the ASP code on
    > > Linux, then pick your favourite text editor and make sure that you can
    > > upload the pages via FTP to the server.

    > I found that java web server pages is able to run asp code on linux,
    > should i buy that ?
    >
    > i have installed apache but the webpage does not execute the code
    > because its vbscript, i need something like java web server pages
    > ( * Sun(TM) Java System Active Server Pages 4.0.3)...
    >
    > if i buy this, how am i to install it?

    I am giving this combination a try, i downloaded IIS and am getting
    windows xp service pack 3 ..so that i can install it via wine (i have
    wine up and running) and then install IIS... that should allow me to
    run asp pages right?

  7. Re: run ASP pages on linux

    On Thu, 11 Sep 2008 09:44:25 -0700, Sindhu wrote:

    > On Sep 11, 7:50*am, Sindhu wrote:

    >> > JSP and PHP are working fine on Linux. *Microsoft is not, however,
    >> > known for its support of the Linux platform. *You can mix the
    >> > environments but a chinese wall is more comfortable.

    >> > If it's simply a matter of running ASP on IIS but writing the ASP
    >> > code on Linux, then pick your favourite text editor and make sure
    >> > that you can upload the pages via FTP to the server.

    >> I found that java web server pages is able to run asp code on linux,
    >> should i buy that ?
    >>
    >> i have installed apache but the webpage does not execute the code
    >> because its vbscript, i need something like java web server pages ( *
    >> Sun(TM) Java System Active Server Pages 4.0.3)...
    >>
    >> if i buy this, how am i to install it?

    > I am giving this combination a try, i downloaded IIS and am getting
    > windows xp service pack 3 ..so that i can install it via wine (i have
    > wine up and running) and then install IIS... that should allow me to run
    > asp pages right?

    It would seem to me there would be a larger chance of success if you ran
    MS in a virtual machine like virtualbox.

  8. Re: run ASP pages on linux

    On Sep 12, 2:43*am, ray wrote:
    > On Thu, 11 Sep 2008 09:44:25 -0700, Sindhu wrote:

    > >> I found that java web server pages is able to run asp code on linux,
    > >> should i buy that ?

    > >> i have installed apache but the webpage does not execute the code
    > >> because its vbscript, i need something like java web server pages ( *
    > >> Sun(TM) Java System Active Server Pages 4.0.3)...

    > >> if i buy this, how am i to install it?

    > > I am giving this combination a try, i downloaded IIS and am getting
    > > windows xp service pack 3 ..so that i can install it via wine (i have
    > > wine up and running) and then install IIS... that should allow me to run
    > > asp pages right?

    > It would seem to me there would be a larger chance of success if you ran
    > MS in a virtual machine like virtualbox.

    alright i think virtualization is my only bet here. apache-asp is a
    pain to configure and also does not run asp really.

  9. Re: run ASP pages on linux

    Sindhu wrote:

    >> > I am giving this combination a try, i downloaded IIS and am getting
    >> > windows xp service pack 3 ..so that i can install it via wine (i have
    >> > wine up and running) and then install IIS... that should allow me to
    >> > run asp pages right?

    >> It would seem to me there would be a larger chance of success if you ran
    >> MS in a virtual machine like virtualbox.

    > alright i think virtualization is my only bet here. apache-asp is a
    > pain to configure and also does not run asp really.

    Can I ask you a question? Why ASP?

    ASP + vbs is great but there are others solutions out there. FOSS solutions
    use standards. IIS + ASP + vbs is a proprietary product combination. Why
    don't you use standard solutions instead of proprietary/closed one?

    Don't you want to follow www.w3.org recommendation? W3C (www.w3.org) is "The
    World Wide Web Consortium" which define web standards.

    Are you sure that you want to close your options and stick with a
    proprietary platform? There is no way to go back easily from this choice
    (the "rebuild all from scratch" is not cool). It's like building an
    application and use direct call to Win32 API.

  10. Re: run ASP pages on linux

    On Sep 12, 7:29*pm, Amrein-Marie Christophe wrote:

    > >> It would seem to me there would be a larger chance of success if you ran
    > >> MS in a virtual machine like virtualbox.

    > > alright i think virtualization is my only bet here. apache-asp is a
    > > pain to configure and also does not run asp really.

    > Can I ask you a question? Why ASP?
    >
    > ASP + vbs is great but there are others solutions out there. FOSS solutions
    > use standards. IIS + ASP + vbs is a proprietary product combination. Why
    > don't you use standard solutions instead of proprietary/closed one?
    >
    > Don't you want to followwww.w3.orgrecommendation? W3C (www.w3.org) is "The
    > World Wide Web Consortium" which define web standards.
    >
    > Are you sure that you want to close your options and stick with a
    > proprietary platform? There is no way to go back easily from this choice
    > (the "rebuild all from scratch" is not cool). It's like building an
    > application and use direct call to Win32 API.

    In the real world, i'd refuse to touch asp even with a 3 feet pole ,
    just like how my attitude now is towards windows (i simple refuse to
    use it)...and asp is for college work.. i need to complete my asp lab.
    i have no options :-s like i said i dont want to use windows for this,
    which is why am looking around for ways to do it on linux.

    and i found a really promising one today "Arrow Head ASP " >http://
    www.tripi.com/arrowhead/howto-compile.html although it hasnt worked
    for me, i followed the instructions exactly as given on the
    installation page.

    i have tomcat5 and jetty running. here is my ll for aspfiles (as asked
    to create in the instructions there)...

    [sindhu@localhost aspfiles]$ ll
    total 20
    -rw-rw-r-- 1 root root 116 2008-09-12 20:19 hello.asp
    -rw-rw-r-- 1 root root 41 2008-09-12 20:19 hello.asp~
    drwxr-xr-x 3 root root 4096 2008-09-12 20:06 WEB-INF/
    -rw-rw-r-- 1 root root 4825 2008-09-12 20:07 web.xml
    [sindhu@localhost aspfiles]$

    i am running mandriva 2008.1 KDE 3.5, uname -a is as follows...

    Linux localhost 2.6.24.5-laptop-2mnb #1 SMP Thu Jun 12 14:47:38 EDT
    2008 i686 AMD Athlon(tm) 64 X2 Dual-Core Processor TK-57 GNU/Linux

    help?

  11. Re: run ASP pages on linux

    On Sep 12, 8:41*pm, Sindhu wrote:

    > > > alright i think virtualization is my only bet here. apache-asp is a
    > > > pain to configure and also does not run asp really.

    > > Can I ask you a question? Why ASP?

    > > ASP + vbs is great but there are others solutions out there. FOSS solutions
    > > use standards. IIS + ASP + vbs is a proprietary product combination. Why
    > > don't you use standard solutions instead of proprietary/closed one?

    > > Don't you want to followwww.w3.orgrecommendation?W3C (www.w3.org) is "The
    > > World Wide Web Consortium" which define web standards.

    > > Are you sure that you want to close your options and stick with a
    > > proprietary platform? There is no way to go back easily from this choice
    > > (the "rebuild all from scratch" is not cool). It's like building an
    > > application and use direct call to Win32 API.

    > In the real world, i'd refuse to touch asp even with a 3 feet pole ,
    > just like how my attitude now is towards windows (i simple refuse to
    > use it)...and asp is for college work.. i need to complete my asp lab.
    > i have no options :-s like i said i dont want to use windows for this,
    > which is why am looking around for ways to do it on linux.
    >
    > and i found a really promising one today "Arrow Head ASP " *>http://www..tripi.com/arrowhead/howt...e.htmlalthough it hasnt worked
    > for me, i followed the instructions exactly as given on the
    > installation page.
    >
    > i have tomcat5 and jetty running. here is my ll for aspfiles (as asked
    > to create in the instructions there)...
    >
    > [sindhu@localhost aspfiles]$ ll
    > total 20
    > -rw-rw-r-- 1 root root *116 2008-09-12 20:19 hello.asp
    > -rw-rw-r-- 1 root root * 41 2008-09-12 20:19 hello.asp~
    > drwxr-xr-x 3 root root 4096 2008-09-12 20:06 WEB-INF/
    > -rw-rw-r-- 1 root root 4825 2008-09-12 20:07 web.xml
    > [sindhu@localhost aspfiles]$
    >
    > i am running mandriva 2008.1 KDE 3.5, uname -a is as follows...
    >
    > Linux localhost 2.6.24.5-laptop-2mnb #1 SMP Thu Jun 12 14:47:38 EDT
    > 2008 i686 AMD Athlon(tm) 64 X2 Dual-Core Processor TK-57 GNU/Linux
    >
    > help?

    I emailed the author and he was quick to get back, i got it working
    yay! thanks all.

  12. Re: run ASP pages on linux

    On Sep 12, 8:41*pm, Sindhu wrote:

    > > > alright i think virtualization is my only bet here. apache-asp is a
    > > > pain to configure and also does not run asp really.

    > > Can I ask you a question? Why ASP?

    > > ASP + vbs is great but there are others solutions out there. FOSS solutions
    > > use standards. IIS + ASP + vbs is a proprietary product combination. Why
    > > don't you use standard solutions instead of proprietary/closed one?

    > > Don't you want to followwww.w3.orgrecommendation?W3C (www.w3.org) is "The
    > > World Wide Web Consortium" which define web standards.

    > > Are you sure that you want to close your options and stick with a
    > > proprietary platform? There is no way to go back easily from this choice
    > > (the "rebuild all from scratch" is not cool). It's like building an
    > > application and use direct call to Win32 API.

    > In the real world, i'd refuse to touch asp even with a 3 feet pole ,
    > just like how my attitude now is towards windows (i simple refuse to
    > use it)...and asp is for college work.. i need to complete my asp lab.
    > i have no options :-s like i said i dont want to use windows for this,
    > which is why am looking around for ways to do it on linux.
    >
    > and i found a really promising one today "Arrow Head ASP " *>http://www..tripi.com/arrowhead/howt...e.htmlalthough it hasnt worked
    > for me, i followed the instructions exactly as given on the
    > installation page.
    >
    > i have tomcat5 and jetty running. here is my ll for aspfiles (as asked
    > to create in the instructions there)...
    >
    > [sindhu@localhost aspfiles]$ ll
    > total 20
    > -rw-rw-r-- 1 root root *116 2008-09-12 20:19 hello.asp
    > -rw-rw-r-- 1 root root * 41 2008-09-12 20:19 hello.asp~
    > drwxr-xr-x 3 root root 4096 2008-09-12 20:06 WEB-INF/
    > -rw-rw-r-- 1 root root 4825 2008-09-12 20:07 web.xml
    > [sindhu@localhost aspfiles]$
    >
    > i am running mandriva 2008.1 KDE 3.5, uname -a is as follows...
    >
    > Linux localhost 2.6.24.5-laptop-2mnb #1 SMP Thu Jun 12 14:47:38 EDT
    > 2008 i686 AMD Athlon(tm) 64 X2 Dual-Core Processor TK-57 GNU/Linux
    >
    > help?

    http://sindhu.tumblr.com/post/498923...asp-in-linux-d >
    blogged about here.

  13. Re: run ASP pages on linux

    On Thu, 11 Sep 2008 09:44:25 -0700, Sindhu wrote:

    > On Sep 11, 7:50*am, Sindhu wrote:

    >> > JSP and PHP are working fine on Linux. *Microsoft is not, however,
    >> > known for its support of the Linux platform. *You can mix the
    >> > environments but a chinese wall is more comfortable.

    >> > If it's simply a matter of running ASP on IIS but writing the ASP
    >> > code on Linux, then pick your favourite text editor and make sure
    >> > that you can upload the pages via FTP to the server.

    >> I found that java web server pages is able to run asp code on linux,
    >> should i buy that ?
    >>
    >> i have installed apache but the webpage does not execute the code
    >> because its vbscript, i need something like java web server pages ( *
    >> Sun(TM) Java System Active Server Pages 4.0.3)...
    >>
    >> if i buy this, how am i to install it?

    > I am giving this combination a try, i downloaded IIS and am getting
    > windows xp service pack 3 ..so that i can install it via wine (i have
    > wine up and running) and then install IIS... that should allow me to run
    > asp pages right?

    Can I ask, WTF you would want to run something as hideous and insecure as
    IIS on Linux? Move on and leave it behind you. There is nothing you can't
    do with PHP, mySQL and Apache more securely, with better performance and
    better security.

    If you really want to be as mad as this run a copy of XP Pro or Server
    2003 in Virtual Box, don't p*ss about with WINE.

    Believe me, the learning curve from classic ASP to php is slight, and
    once you have it you won't struggle much with things like perl either.

    --
    As we travel through life it is best to be like the dog. If you can't eat
    it, or have sex with it, then p*ss on it

  14. Re: run ASP pages on linux

    On Sep 14, 12:09*am, A J Hawke
    wrote:
    > On Thu, 11 Sep 2008 09:44:25 -0700, Sindhu wrote:

    > >> I found that java web server pages is able to run asp code on linux,
    > >> should i buy that ?

    > >> i have installed apache but the webpage does not execute the code
    > >> because its vbscript, i need something like java web server pages ( *
    > >> Sun(TM) Java System Active Server Pages 4.0.3)...

    > >> if i buy this, how am i to install it?

    > > I am giving this combination a try, i downloaded IIS and am getting
    > > windows xp service pack 3 ..so that i can install it via wine (i have
    > > wine up and running) and then install IIS... that should allow me to run
    > > asp pages right?

    > Can I ask, WTF you would want to run something as hideous and insecure as
    > IIS on Linux? Move on and leave it behind you. There is nothing you can't
    > do with PHP, mySQL and Apache more securely, with better performance and
    > better security.
    >
    > If you really want to be as mad as this run a copy of XP Pro or Server
    > 2003 in Virtual Box, don't p*ss about with WINE.
    >
    > Believe me, the learning curve from classic ASP to php is slight, and
    > once you have it you won't struggle much with things like perl either.
    >
    > --
    > As we travel through life it is best to be like the dog. If you can't eat
    > it, or have sex with it, then p*ss on it

    I did not choose ASP to be a part of my curriculum at college. I know
    what php and mySQL can do.
    do not be abusive.

  15. Re: run ASP pages on linux

    On Mon, 15 Sep 2008 00:49:40 -0700, Sindhu wrote:

    > On Sep 14, 12:09*am, A J Hawke
    > wrote:

    >> > I am giving this combination a try, i downloaded IIS and am getting
    >> > windows xp service pack 3 ..so that i can install it via wine (i have
    >> > wine up and running) and then install IIS... that should allow me to
    >> > run asp pages right?

    >> Can I ask, WTF you would want to run something as hideous and insecure
    >> as IIS on Linux? Move on and leave it behind you. There is nothing you
    >> can't do with PHP, mySQL and Apache more securely, with better
    >> performance and better security.
    >>
    >> If you really want to be as mad as this run a copy of XP Pro or Server
    >> 2003 in Virtual Box, don't p*ss about with WINE.
    >>
    >> Believe me, the learning curve from classic ASP to php is slight, and
    >> once you have it you won't struggle much with things like perl either.
    >>
    >> --
    >> As we travel through life it is best to be like the dog. If you can't
    >> eat it, or have sex with it, then p*ss on it

    > I did not choose ASP to be a part of my curriculum at college. I know
    > what php and mySQL can do.
    > do not be abusive.

    If you think that was abusive then a career in IT is not for you, so quit
    now. Please let me know which college this is and what the course is so I
    can look into why they are not providing you with the required equipment
    to run VBS.

    --
    As we travel through life it is best to be like the dog. If you can't eat
    it, or have sex with it, then p*ss on it

  16. Re: run ASP pages on linux

    On Sep 15, 11:48*pm, A J Hawke
    wrote:
    > On Mon, 15 Sep 2008 00:49:40 -0700, Sindhu wrote:
    > > On Sep 14, 12:09*am, A J Hawke
    > > wrote:

    > >> Can I ask, WTF you would want to run something as hideous and insecure
    > >> as IIS on Linux? Move on and leave it behind you. There is nothing you
    > >> can't do with PHP, mySQL and Apache more securely, with better
    > >> performance and better security.

    > >> If you really want to be as mad as this run a copy of XP Pro or Server
    > >> 2003 in Virtual Box, don't p*ss about with WINE.

    > >> Believe me, the learning curve from classic ASP to php is slight, and
    > >> once you have it you won't struggle much with things like perl either.

    > >> --
    > >> As we travel through life it is best to be like the dog. If you can't
    > >> eat it, or have sex with it, then p*ss on it

    > > I did not choose ASP to be a part of my curriculum at college. I know
    > > what php and mySQL can do.
    > > do not be abusive.

    > If you think that was abusive then a career in IT is not for you, so quit
    > now. Please let me know which college this is and what the course is so I
    > can look into why they are not providing you with the required equipment
    > to run VBS.
    >
    > --
    > As we travel through life it is best to be like the dog. If you can't eat
    > it, or have sex with it, then p*ss on it

    This thread I opened for suggestions on ASP and not on my college/
    career. I suggest you think before you punch keys.

  17. Re: run ASP pages on linux

    A J Hawke wrote:
    > If you think that was abusive then a career in IT is not for you, so quit
    > now. Please let me know which college this is and what the course is so I
    > can look into why they are not providing you with the required equipment
    > to run VBS.

    And you are going to go to India, so you can personally impress on
    them your opinions of what they should be teaching?

    Somehow, I suspect you will not win friends nor influence university
    administrators in another land in that manner.

    No cheers.

    jim b.

    --
    UNIX is not user unfriendly; it merely
    expects users to be computer-friendly.

  18. Re: run ASP pages on linux

    On Mon, 15 Sep 2008 12:12:46 -0700, Sindhu wrote:

    > On Sep 15, 11:48*pm, A J Hawke
    > wrote:
    >> On Mon, 15 Sep 2008 00:49:40 -0700, Sindhu wrote:

    >> > I did not choose ASP to be a part of my curriculum at college. I know
    >> > what php and mySQL can do.
    >> > do not be abusive.

    >> If you think that was abusive then a career in IT is not for you, so
    >> quit now. Please let me know which college this is and what the course
    >> is so I can look into why they are not providing you with the required
    >> equipment to run VBS.
    >>
    >> --
    >> As we travel through life it is best to be like the dog. If you can't
    >> eat it, or have sex with it, then p*ss on it

    > This thread I opened for suggestions on ASP and not on my college/
    > career. I suggest you think before you punch keys.

    And I suggest you get a thicker skin. YAWN.

    --
    As we travel through life it is best to be like the dog. If you can't eat
    it, or have sex with it, then p*ss on it

+ Reply to Thread