virtualbox and disk perms - Mandriva

This is a discussion on virtualbox and disk perms - Mandriva ; system 2008.1 x86_64 I want to run 32bit winXp in a virtualbox window so i can run my weather station's 'win only' software which wont install under wine. I installed the manriva rpm for virtualbox and now I'm in the ...

  1. virtualbox and disk perms

    system 2008.1 x86_64

    I want to run 32bit winXp in a virtualbox window so i can run my weather
    station's 'win only' software which wont install under wine. I installed
    the manriva rpm for virtualbox and now I'm in the process of setting it up.
    I have added an extra 40gig disk /dev/sdc1 (a pata-ide [why did it show up
    as sdc and not hdc?]formatted as ext3 and mounted on /mnt/windows) to be
    used for the guest drive. How do i make it rw for an ordinary user? Right
    now, i am in the virtualbox wizard trying to select a hard disk image to be
    used as the boot hard disk of the virtual machine. I cant
    select /mnt/windows (where i mounted my new disk) because its not writable
    by virtualbox. Also, it hasnt created a user and goup yet for virtualbox,
    should i do that manually?
    Thanks
    Eric

  2. Re: virtualbox and disk perms

    On Tue, 09 Sep 2008 11:18:21 -0700, Eric wrote:

    sd* is the new designator for your drives regardless of pata or sata.

    show us the result from

    grep /mnt/windows /etc/fstab

    > I cant
    > select /mnt/windows (where i mounted my new disk) because its not writable
    > by virtualbox. Also, it hasnt created a user and goup yet for virtualbox,
    > should i do that manually?

    if you do a

    grep vboxusers /etc/group

    and do not get anything, then yes.
    After creating it, you will need to add your user login to the
    vboxusers group.

  3. Re: virtualbox and disk perms

    Bit Twister wrote:

    > On Tue, 09 Sep 2008 11:18:21 -0700, Eric wrote:
    >
    > sd* is the new designator for your drives regardless of pata or sata.
    >
    > show us the result from
    >
    > grep /mnt/windows /etc/fstab

    UUID=a8af493f-99d1-45c4-9526-be0c466dd8d7 /mnt/windows ext3
    umask=000,user,dev,relatime,suid,exec 1 2

    I may have this totaly messed up by now, i have been trying various options
    to see what i could get working

    >> I cant
    >> select /mnt/windows (where i mounted my new disk) because its not
    >> writable by virtualbox. Also, it hasnt created a user and goup yet for
    >> virtualbox, should i do that manually?

    > if you do a
    >
    > grep vboxusers /etc/group
    >
    > and do not get anything, then yes.
    > After creating it, you will need to add your user login to the
    > vboxusers group.

    I created a vbox group (501) and added myself to it.
    I probably also ned to create a vbox user but I am unsuer as to what to put
    in there, home dir, login shell, login, passwd, I'm guessing i could just
    leave everything blank & unchecked and fill in Login: vboxuser and set
    login shell to /bin/true?
    Thanks
    Eric

  4. Re: virtualbox and disk perms

    On Tue, 09 Sep 2008 12:08:37 -0700, Eric wrote:

    > UUID=a8af493f-99d1-45c4-9526-be0c466dd8d7 /mnt/windows ext3
    > umask=000,user,dev,relatime,suid,exec 1 2

    If me that entry would look something like
    > UUID=a8af493f-99d1-45c4-9526-be0c466dd8d7 /mnt/windows ext3 relatime 1 2

    > I created a vbox group (501) and added myself to it.
    > I probably also ned to create a vbox user

    Nope, not required.

  5. Re: virtualbox and disk perms

    On Tue, 09 Sep 2008 15:08:37 -0400, Eric wrote:

    > UUID=a8af493f-99d1-45c4-9526-be0c466dd8d7 /mnt/windows ext3
    > umask=000,user,dev,relatime,suid,exec 1 2

    I'd also add the user to the group disk and run
    # chown root:disk /mnt/windows
    # chmod g+rwx /mnt/windows

    > I created a vbox group (501) and added myself to it.

    Don't forget you have to logout/in for changes to the groups to take effect.

    Regards, Dave Hodgins

  6. Re: virtualbox and disk perms

    David W. Hodgins wrote:

    > On Tue, 09 Sep 2008 15:08:37 -0400, Eric wrote:
    >
    >> UUID=a8af493f-99d1-45c4-9526-be0c466dd8d7 /mnt/windows ext3
    >> umask=000,user,dev,relatime,suid,exec 1 2

    > I'd also add the user to the group disk and run
    > # chown root:disk /mnt/windows
    > # chmod g+rwx /mnt/windows
    >
    >> I created a vbox group (501) and added myself to it.

    > Don't forget you have to logout/in for changes to the groups to take
    > effect.
    >
    > Regards, Dave Hodgins

    That last part bit me :-) Got to remember: log out, log back in...
    BTW: the virtualbox rpm works really really nicely in mandriva, except that
    it has no USB support. I'm going to install the non-OSE version so i can
    have USB. This is really impressive. I installed WinXp in the OSE version
    directly from an iso image, then i installed my proprietary Weatherlink
    software again from an iso image, went without a hitch (`cept for lack of
    USB) and winXP runs fast and very stable.
    Eric

    Thanks
    Eric

  7. Re: virtualbox and disk perms

    On Tue, 09 Sep 2008 19:09:03 -0400, Eric wrote:

    > That last part bit me :-) Got to remember: log out, log back in...
    > BTW: the virtualbox rpm works really really nicely in mandriva, except that
    > it has no USB support. I'm going to install the non-OSE version so i can

    Install the rpm downloaded directly from http://www.virtualbox.org/wiki/Downloads
    and install the guest additions in the hosted os.

    For any usb device to work, it must not be in use by the host operating system.
    For flash drives, unmounting them seems to be enough. For a webcam, the
    kernel module in the host os must be unloaded before activating the device
    in the guest os. Similar for printers/scanners.

    Regards, Dave Hodgins

  8. Re: virtualbox and disk perms

    On Tue, 09 Sep 2008 16:09:03 -0700, Eric wrote:

    > it has no USB support.

    I'm puzzled that you say that. Both 1.5.6. and now 2.0.0 handle USB
    devices here, although one does have to select the device manually
    from the VBox 'Devices' menu.

    --
    /\/\aurice
    Linux Mandriva 2.6.22.19-desktop-2mdv 2008.0 PP 32-bit

  9. Re: virtualbox and disk perms

    On Wed, 10 Sep 2008 18:21:06 +0100, Maurice Batey wrote:

    > I'm puzzled that you say that. Both 1.5.6. and now 2.0.0 handle USB
    > devices here, although one does have to select the device manually
    > from the VBox 'Devices' menu.

    Or in USB in the Details tab.

    I did find doing a right click there will let you pick by name.

  10. Re: virtualbox and disk perms

    Maurice Batey wrote:

    > On Tue, 09 Sep 2008 16:09:03 -0700, Eric wrote:
    >
    >> it has no USB support.

    > I'm puzzled that you say that. Both 1.5.6. and now 2.0.0 handle USB
    > devices here, although one does have to select the device manually
    > from the VBox 'Devices' menu.

    I didnt see any USb items in 1.x
    In 2.0 its among the items you can enable/disable
    But... i had it work for about 4 hrs then it stopped working and the most
    I can get it to run for now is a second or 2 then it quites, mostly it just
    doesnt exist in the guest OS for some reason
    Eric

  11. Re: virtualbox and disk perms

    On Wed, 10 Sep 2008 17:59:12 +0000, Bit Twister wrote:

    > Or in USB in the Details tab.
    >
    > I did find doing a right click there will let you pick by name.

    Ah, now that's interesting! I do have 2 items ticked there, but I
    still have to select them via Devices when one is plugged in under the
    guest.

    I noticed that (in Details) I did not have "Enable USB 2.0 (EHC1)
    Controller" selected.
    However, with it now selected (and also "Enable USB Controller"),
    I still have to select e.g. a flash drive via Devices/USB after it is
    plugged in.

    Are you saying your VBox will capture a USB device without any manual
    action? (If so, how is that achieved, please?!)
    --
    /\/\aurice

  12. Re: virtualbox and disk perms

    On Thu, 11 Sep 2008 16:55:32 +0100, Maurice Batey wrote:

    > I still have to select e.g. a flash drive via Devices/USB after it is
    > plugged in.

    Not any more! Discovered I had entered the Filter details wrongly
    in Details, so deleted the filter and added a new one with the "Add
    filter from device" option (2nd icon from top in 'Add'))

    VBox now captures the devices whether already there or hotplugged.

    --
    /\/\aurice

  13. Re: virtualbox and disk perms

    On Thu, 11 Sep 2008 16:55:32 +0100, Maurice Batey wrote:

    > I noticed that (in Details) I did not have "Enable USB 2.0 (EHC1)
    > Controller" selected.
    > However, with it now selected (and also "Enable USB Controller"),
    > I still have to select e.g. a flash drive via Devices/USB after it is
    > plugged in.
    >
    > Are you saying your VBox will capture a USB device without any manual
    > action? (If so, how is that achieved, please?!)

    Never suggested anything of that nature. I had assumed you had not
    been in the Details screen when setting up your Guest. I just wanted
    to make the suggestion to look there and give the tidbit about the
    right click for device selection.

    Currently, my 2009.0 RC1 Guest is having problems so I'll probably
    wipe the install and start over. I can not see my USB stick regardless
    of how I try manage it.

  14. Re: virtualbox and disk perms

    On Thu, 11 Sep 2008 18:08:20 +0000 (UTC), Bit Twister wrote:
    > On Thu, 11 Sep 2008 16:55:32 +0100, Maurice Batey wrote:
    >>
    >> Are you saying your VBox will capture a USB device without any manual
    >> action? (If so, how is that achieved, please?!)

    > Never suggested anything of that nature. I had assumed you had not
    > been in the Details screen when setting up your Guest. I just wanted

    Opps, that should read

    been in the Details->USB screen when setting up your Guest. I just wanted

    > to make the suggestion to look there and give the tidbit about the
    > right click for device selection.

+ Reply to Thread