Second question: exporting DISPLAY - Mandriva

This is a discussion on Second question: exporting DISPLAY - Mandriva ; This question may be more general than just for Mandriva, but since that is the distribution I am using, I will ask it here. I have a number of applications (ie Netbeans) which require x-windows to be running. I don't ...

  1. Second question: exporting DISPLAY

    This question may be more general than just for Mandriva, but since that
    is the distribution I am using, I will ask it here.

    I have a number of applications (ie Netbeans) which require x-windows
    to be running. I don't need someone to tell me how to make this work
    as I am able to use guggle or cuill. However, I'm not sure what
    I should be searching for. I remember someone once calling it "display
    forwarding" but I'm not sure. What I need to be able to do is
    connect to my Mandriva box from any computer on my network using what
    ever terminal emulator I have and be able to run a command that will
    allow me to start applications which use x-windows.

    What is this called? I could start with "export DISPLAY" but I fear
    my search would return way too many results and I'd end up giving up
    after going through 5 pages of results not finding what I need.

    --
    There are 10 types of people in this world. Those who understand binary and those who don't.

  2. Re: Second question: exporting DISPLAY

    On 08 Sep 2008 23:23:16 GMT, john wrote:

    > I remember someone once calling it "display
    > forwarding" but I'm not sure. What I need to be able to do is
    > connect to my Mandriva box from any computer on my network using what
    > ever terminal emulator I have and be able to run a command that will
    > allow me to start applications which use x-windows.

    Any linux/unix should allow you to ssh john@your_mandirva_box_here

    Of course that assumes you have an sshd server running on target system.

    To test click up a terminal, do a

    ssh $USER@(hostname)

    That should log you into your current Mandriva system.
    Once logged in you should be able to run a gui application, say

    gedit some.file
    kwrite some.file

    exit or Control d to exit the ssh login.
    If that works then your firewall/tcpwrappers will be the next hurdle
    to allow other systems to ssh or vnc into your Mandriva system.

    I'm guessing the allow export display part of your query pertains
    to the sshd config file (/etc/ssh/sshd_config)

  3. Re: Second question: exporting DISPLAY

    john writes:

    >This question may be more general than just for Mandriva, but since that
    >is the distribution I am using, I will ask it here.

    >I have a number of applications (ie Netbeans) which require x-windows
    >to be running. I don't need someone to tell me how to make this work
    >as I am able to use guggle or cuill. However, I'm not sure what

    What are guggle or cuill?

    >I should be searching for. I remember someone once calling it "display
    >forwarding" but I'm not sure. What I need to be able to do is
    >connect to my Mandriva box from any computer on my network using what
    >ever terminal emulator I have and be able to run a command that will
    >allow me to start applications which use x-windows.

    Just connect via ssh and it is usually set up to do X forwarding. As long
    as you run X on the machine you are connecting from you can run an X
    application.

    Note that a VT100 cannot display X. So unless your terminal runs X you
    cannot run an X program on it.

    >What is this called? I could start with "export DISPLAY" but I fear
    >my search would return way too many results and I'd end up giving up
    >after going through 5 pages of results not finding what I need.

    Just do it.

    Assuming you are coming from a machine running X, if you do not get it,
    check in the /etc/ssh/sshd_config on that remote machine that X forwarding
    is switched on.

    Mind you if you are connecting via a telephone modem, it could be very
    slow.

  4. Re: Second question: exporting DISPLAY

    On 2008-09-09, Bit Twister wrote:

    > I'm guessing the allow export display part of your query pertains
    > to the sshd config file (/etc/ssh/sshd_config)

    I am currenly ssh'd to my Linux machine using the ssh client that comes
    with OSX. I have checked /etcs/ssh/sshd_config and an confirm
    that the option for forwarding is turned on.

    If I attempt to do something like gedit, here is what I get

    [john@jtlinux01 ~]$ gedit somefile.txt
    cannot open display:
    Run 'gedit --help' to see a full list of available command line options.

    So...I exported out DISPLAY
    and ...
    [john@jtlinux01 ~]$ export DISPLAY=jtlinux01:0.0
    [john@jtlinux01 ~]$ gedit somefile.txt
    cannot open display:
    Run 'gedit --help' to see a full list of available command line options.
    [john@jtlinux01 ~]$

    I wonder if the problem is with the terminal emulator I'm using via mac.

    --
    There are 10 types of people in this world. Those who understand binary and those who don't.

  5. Re: Second question: exporting DISPLAY

    On 09 Sep 2008 00:58:34 GMT, john wrote:
    > On 2008-09-09, Bit Twister wrote:
    >>

    > [john@jtlinux01 ~]$ gedit somefile.txt
    > cannot open display:
    > Run 'gedit --help' to see a full list of available command line options.
    >

    > So...I exported out DISPLAY
    > and ...
    > [john@jtlinux01 ~]$ export DISPLAY=jtlinux01:0.0

    I will assume that will not hack it.

    Here I'll show you mine

    $ hostname
    wm81.home.test

    $ ssh $USER@pm80.home.test
    Last login: Mon Sep 8 20:01:40 2008 from wm81.home.test
    /home/bittwister /usr/local/bin:/bin:/usr/bin

    [bittwister@pm80 ~]$ echo $DISPLAY
    localhost:10.0

    [bittwister@pm80 ~]$ env | grep -I ssh
    SSH_ASKPASS=/usr/lib/ssh/ssh-askpass
    SSH_CLIENT=192.168.1.131 46742 22
    SSH_CONNECTION=192.168.1.131 46742 192.168.1.213 22
    SSH_TTY=/dev/pts/0

    $ grep wm81 /etc/hosts
    192.168.1.131 wm81.home.test wm81

    $ grep pm80 /etc/hosts
    192.168.1.213 pm80.home.test pm80

  6. Re: Second question: exporting DISPLAY

    On 2008-09-09, john wrote:

    > I wonder if the problem is with the terminal emulator I'm using via mac.

    I just tried to use putty from my vista box and was able to ssh to
    Mandriva. But even after doing an export DISPLAY=localhost:0.0 I was
    not able to do a gedit somefile.txt The message was
    "Cannot open display"

    --
    There are 10 types of people in this world. Those who understand binary and those who don't.

  7. Re: Second question: exporting DISPLAY

    john writes:

    >On 2008-09-09, Bit Twister wrote:
    >

    >> I'm guessing the allow export display part of your query pertains
    >> to the sshd config file (/etc/ssh/sshd_config)

    >I am currenly ssh'd to my Linux machine using the ssh client that comes
    >with OSX. I have checked /etcs/ssh/sshd_config and an confirm
    >that the option for forwarding is turned on.

    Uh, It does not work for you, and you do not know why. How do you know that
    your can judge whetehr it is on or not. Tell us the EXACT line that is in
    /etc/ssh/sshd_config.

    >If I attempt to do something like gedit, here is what I get

    >[john@jtlinux01 ~]$ gedit somefile.txt
    >cannot open display:

    Youp that tells us that X forwarding is NOT working.
    Does OSX use X? I did not think so. If not then you cannot display X on a
    system that does not run X.

    >Run 'gedit --help' to see a full list of available command line options.

    >So...I exported out DISPLAY
    >and ...
    >[john@jtlinux01 ~]$ export DISPLAY=jtlinux01:0.0
    >[john@jtlinux01 ~]$ gedit somefile.txt
    >cannot open display:
    >Run 'gedit --help' to see a full list of available command line options.
    >[john@jtlinux01 ~]$

    >I wonder if the problem is with the terminal emulator I'm using via mac.

    The problem is that if the mac does not run X then you cannot display X on
    it.

    >--
    >There are 10 types of people in this world. Those who understand binary and those who don't.

  8. Re: Second question: exporting DISPLAY

    john writes:

    >On 2008-09-09, john wrote:
    >

    >> I wonder if the problem is with the terminal emulator I'm using via mac.
    >>

    >I just tried to use putty from my vista box and was able to ssh to
    >Mandriva. But even after doing an export DISPLAY=localhost:0.0 I was
    >not able to do a gedit somefile.txt The message was
    >"Cannot open display"

    Uh, Vista does NOT run X. You can get X for windows, and if you do you will
    be able to display X on windows. Without it you cannot. X is a language.
    The remote machine sends X commands to your machine. You machine MUST be
    able to interpret those commands to run X.

    >--
    >There are 10 types of people in this world. Those who understand binary and those who don't.

  9. Re: Second question: exporting DISPLAY

    Unruh writes:

    > john writes:
    >
    >>On 2008-09-09, john wrote:
    >>

    >>> I wonder if the problem is with the terminal emulator I'm using via mac.
    >>>

    >>I just tried to use putty from my vista box and was able to ssh to
    >>Mandriva. But even after doing an export DISPLAY=localhost:0.0 I was
    >>not able to do a gedit somefile.txt The message was
    >>"Cannot open display"

    > Uh, Vista does NOT run X. You can get X for windows, and if you do you will
    > be able to display X on windows. Without it you cannot. X is a language.
    > The remote machine sends X commands to your machine. You machine MUST be
    > able to interpret those commands to run X.

    Also, "localhost:0.0" isn't even close to correct.

    $DISPLAY needs to point to the machine you want the gedit window to appear
    on. There needs to be an X Server running there.

  10. Re: Second question: exporting DISPLAY....resolved

    On 2008-09-09, Dan Espen wrote:

    > Also, "localhost:0.0" isn't even close to correct.
    >
    > $DISPLAY needs to point to the machine you want the gedit window to appear
    > on. There needs to be an X Server running there.

    I was able to make this work by
    a) on macbook (running xwindows) do an "xhost +" ..put in .profile
    b) on linux export DISPLAY=macbook:0.0

    --
    Do you twitter? http://twitter.com
    Do you want to be a cranky geek? http://www.crankygeeks.com/

  11. Re: Second question: exporting DISPLAY....resolved

    John writes:

    > On 2008-09-09, Dan Espen wrote:
    >
    >> Also, "localhost:0.0" isn't even close to correct.
    >>
    >> $DISPLAY needs to point to the machine you want the gedit window to appear
    >> on. There needs to be an X Server running there.

    > I was able to make this work by
    > a) on macbook (running xwindows) do an "xhost +" ..put in .profile
    > b) on linux export DISPLAY=macbook:0.0

    Great.
    The only "tuning" you might want to do is only allow specific
    clients to display on the server:

    xhost +linuxclient

    (change linuxclient as appropriate).

+ Reply to Thread