Mandriva 2008.1 Trash Problem - Mandriva

This is a discussion on Mandriva 2008.1 Trash Problem - Mandriva ; Due to some nagging annoyances I reinstalled my copy of Mandriva 2008.1 Power Pack Edition. After the install was completed and updated, I grabbed my back up DVD and restored my files. One of the folders on my backup DVD ...

  1. Mandriva 2008.1 Trash Problem

    Due to some nagging annoyances I reinstalled my copy of Mandriva 2008.1
    Power Pack Edition. After the install was completed and updated, I
    grabbed my back up DVD and restored my files. One of the folders on my
    backup DVD apparently didn't burn to the DVD correctly and gave me grief
    when copying it to my home directory. I moved my first attempt to the
    Trash and then grabbed another backup and finished my rebuild. Now I
    can't empty my Trash. I get permission denied messages and it won't allow
    me to change the permissions even though I'm the owner. Logging in as
    Root shows my Trash as empty. Any suggestions before I reinstall a third
    time?
    --
    Registered Linux User #267152

  2. Re: Mandriva 2008.1 Trash Problem

    JTJersey wrote:
    > Due to some nagging annoyances I reinstalled my copy of Mandriva 2008.1
    > Power Pack Edition. After the install was completed and updated, I
    > grabbed my back up DVD and restored my files. One of the folders on my
    > backup DVD apparently didn't burn to the DVD correctly and gave me grief
    > when copying it to my home directory. I moved my first attempt to the
    > Trash and then grabbed another backup and finished my rebuild. Now I
    > can't empty my Trash. I get permission denied messages and it won't allow
    > me to change the permissions even though I'm the owner. Logging in as
    > Root shows my Trash as empty. Any suggestions before I reinstall a third
    > time?

    The reason is you are looking in the wrong trash location when you log in as
    root. The location where your thrown away files will be under
    /home/*username*/.local/share/Trash Inside the Trash folder, there are two
    other folders, files and info. As root, Delete the contents of the files
    folder and delete the record of the contents from the info folder. You will
    need to be able to view hidden files and folders for the .local folder to
    show, of course. Log out and log back in under the *username* that was
    having the trash problem and the trash should now show as empty. I have the
    root account enabled on my machine also. Be careful using it that way
    though. Logging into the root account should normally be saved for emergency
    situations. You should be able to use su or sudo to accomplish what you need.

    Good Luck,
    Thai

  3. Re: Mandriva 2008.1 Trash Problem

    On Thu, 28 Aug 2008 10:46:10 -0400, Thai C. Stacy wrote:

    > JTJersey wrote:
    >> Due to some nagging annoyances I reinstalled my copy of Mandriva 2008.1
    >> Power Pack Edition. After the install was completed and updated, I
    >> grabbed my back up DVD and restored my files. One of the folders on my
    >> backup DVD apparently didn't burn to the DVD correctly and gave me
    >> grief when copying it to my home directory. I moved my first attempt
    >> to the Trash and then grabbed another backup and finished my rebuild.
    >> Now I can't empty my Trash. I get permission denied messages and it
    >> won't allow me to change the permissions even though I'm the owner.
    >> Logging in as Root shows my Trash as empty. Any suggestions before I
    >> reinstall a third time?

    > The reason is you are looking in the wrong trash location when you log
    > in as root. The location where your thrown away files will be under
    > /home/*username*/.local/share/Trash Inside the Trash folder, there are
    > two other folders, files and info. As root, Delete the contents of the
    > files folder and delete the record of the contents from the info folder.
    > You will need to be able to view hidden files and folders for the .local
    > folder to show, of course. Log out and log back in under the *username*
    > that was having the trash problem and the trash should now show as
    > empty. I have the root account enabled on my machine also. Be careful
    > using it that way though. Logging into the root account should normally
    > be saved for emergency situations. You should be able to use su or sudo
    > to accomplish what you need.
    >

    > Good Luck,
    > Thai

    Very cool. Thank you.