Interesting Comment on upgrades - Mandriva

This is a discussion on Interesting Comment on upgrades - Mandriva ; I have just received advice on my Windows XP updates that Service Pack 3 is available to install. There is a link to the original Knowledge Base article dated June last. No mention of the issue with AMD CPUs which ...

  1. Interesting Comment on upgrades

    I have just received advice on my Windows XP updates that Service Pack 3 is
    available to install. There is a link to the original Knowledge Base
    article dated June last. No mention of the issue with AMD CPUs which
    surfaced in early May - only a warning for ATI video drivers.

    As I have an AMD CPU, I went Googling and found nothing, except this gem
    from a Mac OS user on a Baptist Church forum:

    >>ET wrote:
    >>I think the safe bet is to wait at least a couple of weeks to install the
    >>thing.

    >That's the odd thing with Windows updates verses Mac OS X updates. I run
    >any OS X updates immediately. They seldom cause an issue. But, I'm always
    >leery of new windows updates.

    Similarly with Linux.

    Doug.

  2. Re: Interesting Comment on upgrades

    Doug Laidlaw wrote:

    >>> ET wrote:
    >>> I think the safe bet is to wait at least a couple of weeks to install the
    >>> thing.

    >> That's the odd thing with Windows updates verses Mac OS X updates. I run
    >> any OS X updates immediately. They seldom cause an issue. But, I'm always
    >> leery of new windows updates.

    > Similarly with Linux.

    Well, yes, but linux updates can and will bite you too, just not quite
    so often. I have memories of the not-fond type of an update which broke
    NFS file locking which was eventually traced to the kernel itself.

    I have also had linux updates stomp critical configuration files, most
    recently on a Ubuntu system which, when updating apache, decided to
    overwrite index.html!

    Regards,

    David Mathog

  3. Re: Interesting Comment on upgrades

    David Mathog wrote:

    >>> That's the odd thing with Windows updates verses Mac OS X updates. I run
    >>> any OS X updates immediately. They seldom cause an issue. But, I'm
    >>> always leery of new windows updates.

    >> Similarly with Linux.

    > Well, yes, but linux updates can and will bite you too, just not quite
    > so often. I have memories of the not-fond type of an update which broke
    > NFS file locking which was eventually traced to the kernel itself.
    >
    > I have also had linux updates stomp critical configuration files, most
    > recently on a Ubuntu system which, when updating apache, decided to
    > overwrite index.html!
    >
    > Regards,
    >
    > David Mathog

    The only problems I have had are with bugs in packages, as with apache for
    you, not with the operating system. For example, Mandriva's current build
    of Lilypond has a bug in convert-ly, which was fixed in the next release,
    so I use the last official version. For me, Lilypond is almost unusable
    without convert-ly.

    Doug.

  4. Re: Interesting Comment on upgrades

    Doug Laidlaw wrote:
    > I have just received advice on my Windows XP updates

    This is a Mandriva Linux newsgroup. If you want to converse about
    MS Windows, then I suggest doing so via a MS Windows newsgroup.

    I install Linux updates immediately. IMHO, there is a low
    probability that the Linux update will cause problems, and there is a
    high probability (at least compared to the Linux updates) that the MS
    Windows updates will cause problems.

+ Reply to Thread