Extremely slow resizing of windows in 2008.1 with Nvidia and ATI cards - Mandriva

This is a discussion on Extremely slow resizing of windows in 2008.1 with Nvidia and ATI cards - Mandriva ; We are getting extremely slow resizing of windows (firefox, terminal,...) in KDE in Mandriva 2008.1. Eg, resizing takes 6-8sec, which is absurd. I originally thought it was an Nvidia driver problem but since it is also tru under ATI it ...

  1. Extremely slow resizing of windows in 2008.1 with Nvidia and ATI cards

    We are getting extremely slow resizing of windows (firefox, terminal,...)
    in KDE in Mandriva 2008.1. Eg, resizing takes 6-8sec, which is absurd. I
    originally thought it was an Nvidia driver problem but since it is also tru
    under ATI it seems an X/Mandriva problem

    Latest kernel and video drivers.

  2. Re: Extremely slow resizing of windows in 2008.1 with Nvidia and ATI cards

    On Wednesday 27 August 2008 06:43, someone identifying as *Unruh* wrote
    in /alt.os.linux.mandriva:/

    > We are getting extremely slow resizing of windows (firefox, terminal,...)
    > in KDE in Mandriva 2008.1. Eg, resizing takes 6-8sec, which is absurd. I
    > originally thought it was an Nvidia driver problem [...

    There is indeed such a problem with the proprietary nVidia driver and it was
    not distro-specific - I've heard it occurring in Kubuntu as well as in PC
    Linux OS - although I don't know whether the problem has in the meantime
    been resolved.

    > ...] but since it is also tru under ATI it seems an X/Mandriva problem

    Well, I would suggest testing with Gnome/Metacity or another desktop/window
    manager combination - maybe even Compiz - to determine whether it's an X11
    problem or a KDE problem.

    If it then appears to be KDE-specific, I would try opening up a non-KDE Qt
    application - e.g. Opera - to see if it has anything to do with the Qt
    libraries themselves or whether the problem is to be found with
    the /kdelibs;/ if it is Qt that's at fault here, the contents of the window
    will take a long time to be redrawn while the window borders - which are
    created by the non-KDE window manager you'd be using - would redraw right
    away.

    > Latest kernel and video drivers.

    For the record, I've always found the proprietary ATi drivers quite slow in
    comparison to nVidia's drivers.[1] Next to the fact that they're buggy as
    hell, of course.

    *[1]* On the machine that had an ATi card - a GeCube Radeon 9250 with 256 MB
    of RAM - it would take up to five or six seconds to switch back and forth
    between X11 and a framebuffer console using the /Ctrl+Alt+F-key] sequence.
    The first four seconds or so of that, the machine seemed frozen in X11 -
    KDE Kicker clock no longer ticking and mousepointer locked - and the
    remainder of that delay was to bring a character mode console (with a
    framebuffer) to view and display a login prompt.

    --
    *Aragorn*
    (registered GNU/Linux user #223157)

  3. Re: Extremely slow resizing of windows in 2008.1 with Nvidia and ATIcards

    On Aug 27, 1:02*am, Aragorn wrote:
    > On Wednesday 27 August 2008 06:43, someone identifying as *Unruh* wrote
    > in /alt.os.linux.mandriva:/
    >
    > > We are getting extremely slow resizing of windows (firefox, terminal,....)
    > > in KDE in Mandriva 2008.1. Eg, resizing takes 6-8sec, which is absurd. I
    > > originally thought it was an Nvidia driver problem [...

    > There is indeed such a problem with the proprietary nVidia driver and it was
    > not distro-specific - I've heard it occurring in Kubuntu as well as in PC
    > Linux OS - although I don't know whether the problem has in the meantime
    > been resolved.
    >
    > > ...] but since it is also tru under ATI it seems an X/Mandriva problem

    > Well, I would suggest testing with Gnome/Metacity or another desktop/window
    > manager combination - maybe even Compiz - to determine whether it's an X11
    > problem or a KDE problem. *
    >
    > If it then appears to be KDE-specific, I would try opening up a non-KDE Qt
    > application - e.g. Opera - to see if it has anything to do with the Qt
    > libraries themselves or whether the problem is to be found with
    > the /kdelibs;/ if it is Qt that's at fault here, the contents of the window
    > will take a long time to be redrawn while the window borders - which are
    > created by the non-KDE window manager you'd be using - would redraw right
    > away.
    >
    > > Latest kernel and video drivers.

    > For the record, I've always found the proprietary ATi drivers quite slow in
    > comparison to nVidia's drivers.[1] *Next to the fact that they're buggyas
    > hell, of course.
    >
    > *[1]* On the machine that had an ATi card - a GeCube Radeon 9250 with 256MB
    > of RAM - it would take up to five or six seconds to switch back and forth
    > between X11 and a framebuffer console using the /Ctrl+Alt+F-key] sequence..
    > The first four seconds or so of that, the machine seemed frozen in X11 -
    > KDE Kicker clock no longer ticking and mousepointer locked - and the
    > remainder of that delay was to bring a character mode console (with a
    > framebuffer) to view and display a login prompt.
    >
    > --
    > *Aragorn*
    > (registered GNU/Linux user #223157)

    What is your system specs? I havent had a issue with window resizing.
    I'm using :

    AMD athlon64x2 4400+
    M2A-VM HDMI Motherboard
    2GB of RAM
    evga geforce 7200GS video

  4. Re: Extremely slow resizing of windows in 2008.1 with Nvidia andATI cards

    Unruh wrote:
    > We are getting extremely slow resizing of windows (firefox, terminal,...)
    > in KDE in Mandriva 2008.1. Eg, resizing takes 6-8sec, which is absurd. I
    > originally thought it was an Nvidia driver problem but since it is also tru
    > under ATI it seems an X/Mandriva problem

    I used to have really slow windows resizing, when I used the 3D desktop.

    Then Linux Format magazine described the same problem, and said how to
    turn it off.

    Somewhere in the 3D settings, under Tools|CompizConfig Settings Manager,
    there was a setting (I think it may have been "Resize Window", I no
    longer use Compiz so I can't be sure) to prevent Compiz from redrawing
    the window continually while resizing. So instead of seeing the window
    change size in real time (maybe with wobbles, I don't know, my machine
    card wasn't up to it), you just got a grey outline and the window redrew
    when you had decided on the new size.

    Don't know why this effect took more than my PC could provide, but it
    did. Other 3D effects were fine; resizing on a 2D desktop is fine;
    resizing under Compiz would just give you a delay and then eventually
    the window would redraw at the new size. Resizing just the outline
    didn't look as good, but was much more usable.

    (Mandriva 2008.0, 1800MHz Duron, ATi Radeon 7000)

    Frank

  5. Re: Extremely slow resizing of windows in 2008.1 with Nvidia and ATI cards

    Frank Peelo writes:

    >Unruh wrote:
    >> We are getting extremely slow resizing of windows (firefox, terminal,...)
    >> in KDE in Mandriva 2008.1. Eg, resizing takes 6-8sec, which is absurd. I
    >> originally thought it was an Nvidia driver problem but since it is also tru
    >> under ATI it seems an X/Mandriva problem

    >I used to have really slow windows resizing, when I used the 3D desktop.

    >Then Linux Format magazine described the same problem, and said how to
    >turn it off.

    >Somewhere in the 3D settings, under Tools|CompizConfig Settings Manager,
    >there was a setting (I think it may have been "Resize Window", I no
    >longer use Compiz so I can't be sure) to prevent Compiz from redrawing
    >the window continually while resizing. So instead of seeing the window
    >change size in real time (maybe with wobbles, I don't know, my machine
    >card wasn't up to it), you just got a grey outline and the window redrew
    >when you had decided on the new size.

    Mine does not do that. You gravb the edge and more the mouse out. All that
    moves is the little arrows on the mouse. The window does nothing for 6-8
    sec, and then suddenly resizes.

    >Don't know why this effect took more than my PC could provide, but it
    >did. Other 3D effects were fine; resizing on a 2D desktop is fine;
    >resizing under Compiz would just give you a delay and then eventually
    >the window would redraw at the new size. Resizing just the outline
    >didn't look as good, but was much more usable.

    >(Mandriva 2008.0, 1800MHz Duron, ATi Radeon 7000)

    >Frank

  6. Re: Extremely slow resizing of windows in 2008.1 with Nvidia and ATI cards

    On Wednesday 27 August 2008 18:39, someone identifying as
    *nextwavecs@gmail.com* wrote in /alt.os.linux.mandriva:/

    > On Aug 27, 1:02*am, Aragorn wrote:
    >
    >> [...]
    >> For the record, I've always found the proprietary ATi drivers quite slow
    >> in comparison to nVidia's drivers.[1] *Next to the fact that they're
    >> buggy as hell, of course.
    >>
    >> *[1]* On the machine that had an ATi card - a GeCube Radeon 9250 with 256
    >> MB of RAM - it would take up to five or six seconds to switch back and
    >> forth between X11 and a framebuffer console using the /Ctrl+Alt+F-key]
    >> sequence. The first four seconds or so of that, the machine seemed frozen
    >> in X11 - KDE Kicker clock no longer ticking and mousepointer locked - and
    >> the remainder of that delay was to bring a character mode console (with a
    >> framebuffer) to view and display a login prompt.

    > What is your system specs?

    If you are asking this question to the original poster - i.e. Bill Unruh -
    then you should not have included everything that I have replied in your
    own reply.

    If on the other hand you are asking me, the machine I had that problem with
    - i.e. the slow switching back and forth between X11 and character mode -
    is no longer operational. It was a dual Xeon with hyperthreading and the
    videocard was a PCI Gecube Radeon 9250, so not an nVidia.

    > I havent had a issue with window resizing.
    > I'm using :
    >
    > AMD athlon64x2 4400+
    > M2A-VM HDMI Motherboard
    > 2GB of RAM
    > evga geforce 7200GS video

    Perhaps that adapter uses a different driver?

    --
    *Aragorn*
    (registered GNU/Linux user #223157)

  7. Re: Extremely slow resizing of windows in 2008.1 with Nvidia andATI cards

    Unruh wrote:
    > Frank Peelo writes:
    >
    >> Unruh wrote:
    >>> We are getting extremely slow resizing of windows (firefox, terminal,...)
    >>> in KDE in Mandriva 2008.1. Eg, resizing takes 6-8sec, which is absurd. I
    >>> originally thought it was an Nvidia driver problem but since it is also tru
    >>> under ATI it seems an X/Mandriva problem

    >> I used to have really slow windows resizing, when I used the 3D desktop.

    >> Then Linux Format magazine described the same problem, and said how to
    >> turn it off.

    >> Somewhere in the 3D settings, under Tools|CompizConfig Settings Manager,
    >> there was a setting (I think it may have been "Resize Window", I no
    >> longer use Compiz so I can't be sure) to prevent Compiz from redrawing
    >> the window continually while resizing. So instead of seeing the window
    >> change size in real time (maybe with wobbles, I don't know, my machine
    >> card wasn't up to it), you just got a grey outline and the window redrew
    >> when you had decided on the new size.

    > Mine does not do that. You gravb the edge and more the mouse out. All that
    > moves is the little arrows on the mouse. The window does nothing for 6-8
    > sec, and then suddenly resizes.

    Sorry, I wrote that really badly.

    What was I trying to say. As you know, if you are using a system in
    which you can see the contents of a window as you drag the window edge,
    the program which draws the window needs to redraw the window every
    millisecond or whatever, at the new (intermediate) window size. If that
    is not going to happen, then the best the system can do is to draw a
    rectangle to show where the window outline will be, and redraw the
    window once at the end.

    Now, the Compiz "resize window" thing is supposed to give some sort of
    effect while you resize the window. I don't know what it would look
    like, because it didn't work for me, but I guess it should wobble, most
    of the Compiz effects seem to involve wobbling.

    But all I got was, as I said, the same as what you saw: that the window
    does nothing for a few seconds when you try to resize it, then suddenly
    redraw at the new size. My guess is that the "resize window" thing is
    supposed to handle getting the program to redraw the window, which
    /should/ not be too much strain for the PC, but it doesn't work and it
    takes a few seconds to sort itself out.

    Turning off the resize thing meant that I did not get the window redrawn
    as I was resizing it. I only got a rectangle. But at least it gave
    feedback that I had grabbed the right bit of the window outline, and
    when I let go, I didn't have to wait a few seconds before continuing.
    Which was a lot more usable.

    Frank

  8. Re: Extremely slow resizing of windows in 2008.1 with Nvidia and ATI cards

    Did you ever figure out a workaround for this? I have also experienced problems with this on an ATI Mobility Radeon HD 3600 and an Nvidia GeForce 8600 GT on Ubuntu 8.10 and 9.04 beta with compiz versions 0.7.8 and 0.8.2. It's driving me crazy.

+ Reply to Thread