Sierra Wireless air card - Mandriva

This is a discussion on Sierra Wireless air card - Mandriva ; Hello, I’m trying to get my Sierra Wireless air card working on my Linux system. I downloaded the driver from Sierra’s web site along with the instructions. Driver installation instructions Prior to installing the driver, the kernel source code must ...

  1. Sierra Wireless air card

    Hello,
    I’m trying to get my Sierra Wireless air card working on my Linux
    system. I downloaded the driver from Sierra’s web site along with the
    instructions.
    Driver installation instructions
    Prior to installing the driver, the kernel source code must be
    downloaded into /usr/src/linux. Depending on your Linux distribution,
    the location of the kernel source code varies. However, the
    distribution package manager (e.g. yum, yast, or apt) can help you
    find it (try searching in the manager for "kernel source").
    1. Navigate to the driver package directory and extract the source by
    typing the following commands:
    # cd
    # tar –zxf sierra.v.X.Y.Z.zip
    # cd sierra.v.X.Y.Z
    2. If an older version of the Sierra Wireless driver is installed,
    uninstall it by typing the following command:
    # rmmod sierra
    3. Switch to root and browse to the directory where ‘Makefile’ and
    ‘sierra.c’ are located.
    # su
    # cd /
    4. Compile and install the driver by typing the following commands.
    # make
    # make install
    The driver should now be installed.

    Now I have no idea where my “kernel source” is. I am new to Linux and
    I just learned how to move around in the command prompt window using
    cd, pwd, ls, etc., etc.

    None of the commands worked, but I was able to use the windows looking
    interface to extract the zip file to a folder. Now the su command will
    send me to the root directory. Cd / seems to do something, but when I
    type “make” Linux tells me there is no command “make.”
    I think the make command should compile my sierra.c file. And the make
    install should install my driver. But Linux seems to not know these
    commands. Please help.
    I am using Mandriva Linux Spring 2008.0

  2. Re: Sierra Wireless air card

    benrahogad@gmail.com wrote:

    > Hello,
    > I?m trying to get my Sierra Wireless air card working on my
    > Linux system. I downloaded the driver from Sierra?s web site
    > along with the instructions.
    > Driver installation instructions
    > Prior to installing the driver, the kernel source code must be
    > downloaded into /usr/src/linux. Depending on your Linux
    > distribution, the location of the kernel source code varies.
    > However, the distribution package manager (e.g. yum, yast, or
    > apt) can help you find it (try searching in the manager for
    > "kernel source").
    > 1. Navigate to the driver package directory and extract the
    > source by typing the following commands:
    > # cd
    > # tar ?zxf sierra.v.X.Y.Z.zip
    > # cd sierra.v.X.Y.Z
    > 2. If an older version of the Sierra Wireless driver is
    > installed, uninstall it by typing the following command:
    > # rmmod sierra
    > 3. Switch to root and browse to the directory where ?Makefile?
    > and ?sierra.c? are located.
    > # su
    > # cd /
    > 4. Compile and install the driver by typing the following
    > commands.
    > # make
    > # make install
    > The driver should now be installed.
    >
    > Now I have no idea where my ?kernel source? is. I am new to
    > Linux and I just learned how to move around in the command
    > prompt window using cd, pwd, ls, etc., etc.
    >
    > None of the commands worked, but I was able to use the windows
    > looking interface to extract the zip file to a folder. Now the
    > su command will send me to the root directory. Cd / seems to do
    > something, but when I
    > type ?make? Linux tells me there is no command ?make.?
    > I think the make command should compile my sierra.c file. And
    > the make install should install my driver. But Linux seems to
    > not know these commands. Please help.
    > I am using Mandriva Linux Spring 2008.0

    This is probably not necessary for your wireless driver as it is
    probably included in the distro and should install using the
    mandriva tools.

    Have you:
    a) set up sources (use the Mandriva Control Center or MCC -
    aka 'configure your computer') and then
    b) used the wireless networking tools (also in MCC) to setup the
    network?

    I'll leave others more qualified to explain how to install
    kernel-source and the development tools etc as I've very rarely
    needed to use them with mandriva.

    Lots of the advice on the net is for clunky distros like ubuntu -
    mandriva will handle most things for you in everyday usage if
    you try the Control Center GUI tools.
    HTH
    Syd

  3. Re: Sierra Wireless air card

    On 2008-08-27, benrahogad@gmail.com wrote:

    [...]

    > None of the commands worked, but I was able to use the windows looking
    > interface to extract the zip file to a folder. Now the su command will
    > send me to the root directory. Cd / seems to do something, but when I
    > type “make” Linux tells me there is no command “make.”
    > I think the make command should compile my sierra.c file. And the make
    > install should install my driver. But Linux seems to not know these
    > commands. Please help.
    > I am using Mandriva Linux Spring 2008.0

    I don't know the Sierra Wireless air card, but as Syd said it's worth
    trying to see if Mandriva will get it set up automatically or offer you
    help to get any special files needed.

    As for compiling programs from source, if your Mandriva system wasn't
    installed as a 'development' system (ie for programmers writing software)
    you'll need to install a few packages from the installation disc first.
    Use 'System - Configure your computer' from the main menu, go to 'software
    Management - Manage Software' and install the package called make, and the
    package called gcc3.3.

    You'll also need to install the kernel-devel package which corresponds
    with the kernel your system is running. To see what that is, in the
    Software Management dialogue use the drop-down box at the left just above
    the list of categories to select 'Installed' and then enter kernel in the
    search box; your system will be using the most recent of the kernels
    listed there with a green blob. Now use the drop-down box again to choose
    'All' and search for kernel again to find the matching devel package (in my
    case kernel-laptop-2.6.22.19-2mdv so I need the devel package called
    kernel-laptop-devel-2.6.22.19-2mdv). That is the 'source code' for your
    kernel.

    (You can also use the command-line command

    uname -a

    to discover which kernel is in use - in my case that shows
    2.6.22.19-laptop-2mdv).

    --
    -- ^^^^^^^^^^
    -- Whiskers

  4. Re: Sierra Wireless air card

    benrahogad@gmail.com wrote:
    > Hello,
    > I’m trying to get my Sierra Wireless air card working on my Linux
    > system. I downloaded the driver from Sierra’s web site along with the
    > instructions.
    > Driver installation instructions
    > Prior to installing the driver, the kernel source code must be
    > downloaded into /usr/src/linux. Depending on your Linux distribution,
    > the location of the kernel source code varies. However, the
    > distribution package manager (e.g. yum, yast, or apt) can help you
    > find it (try searching in the manager for "kernel source").
    > 1. Navigate to the driver package directory and extract the source by
    > typing the following commands:
    > # cd
    > # tar –zxf sierra.v.X.Y.Z.zip
    > # cd sierra.v.X.Y.Z
    > 2. If an older version of the Sierra Wireless driver is installed,
    > uninstall it by typing the following command:
    > # rmmod sierra
    > 3. Switch to root and browse to the directory where ‘Makefile’ and
    > ‘sierra.c’ are located.
    > # su
    > # cd /
    > 4. Compile and install the driver by typing the following commands.
    > # make
    > # make install
    > The driver should now be installed.
    >
    > Now I have no idea where my “kernel source” is. I am new to Linux and
    > I just learned how to move around in the command prompt window using
    > cd, pwd, ls, etc., etc.
    >
    > None of the commands worked, but I was able to use the windows looking
    > interface to extract the zip file to a folder. Now the su command will
    > send me to the root directory. Cd / seems to do something, but when I
    > type “make” Linux tells me there is no command “make.”
    > I think the make command should compile my sierra.c file. And the make
    > install should install my driver. But Linux seems to not know these
    > commands. Please help.
    > I am using Mandriva Linux Spring 2008.0

    There are no drivers in the DVD version of Mandriva 2008.1 however there
    are a heap of drivers in the /lib/firmware directory of the Mandriva One
    CD version of 2008.1.

    These can be copied to a memory stick and then copied into your
    /lib/firmware directory.

    Do not worry if you do not find the Sierra name amongst them because the
    names of the drivers all refer to the chipsets that they are driving.
    Many different brands of wireless card use common chipsets. It may be a
    matter of finding what chipset yours has in it.

  5. Re: Sierra Wireless air card

    On Wed, 27 Aug 2008 13:47:35 +0000, Martin wrote:

    > benrahogad@gmail.com wrote:
    >> Hello,
    >> I’m trying to get my Sierra Wireless air card working on my Linux
    >> system. I downloaded the driver from Sierra’s web site along with the
    >> instructions.

    Those are almost certainly not needed and you would have been better off
    just trying them with the One edition to see if they were already
    included.

    > There are no drivers in the DVD version of Mandriva 2008.1 however there
    > are a heap of drivers in the /lib/firmware directory of the Mandriva One
    > CD version of 2008.1.

    Those aren't the drivers, they are firmware, as the directory name says.
    To find wireless drivers one needs to read the output of

    sudo modprobe -l | grep wireless

    and that can also miss a few, notably madwifi on some distros.

+ Reply to Thread