minimize firefox system tray - Mandriva

This is a discussion on minimize firefox system tray - Mandriva ; I want to minimize firefox3 in system tray but i cannot use firetray cause it doesn't work on mandriva (KDE) or alltray, which does not work for either cause i have window specific setting on firefox window that sets "no ...

  1. minimize firefox system tray

    I want to minimize firefox3 in system tray but i cannot use firetray
    cause it doesn't work on mandriva (KDE) or alltray, which does not
    work for either cause i have window specific setting on firefox window
    that sets "no border" for it everytime.

    what do i do?

  2. Re: minimize firefox system tray

    On Tuesday 26 August 2008 16:49, someone identifying as *Sindhu* wrote
    in /alt.os.linux.mandriva:/

    > I want to minimize firefox3 in system tray but i cannot use firetray
    > cause it doesn't work on mandriva (KDE) [...

    Firefox doesn't use the Qt libraries and will therefore not work well with
    the system tray of the KDE /Kicker./

    > ...] or alltray, which does not work for either cause i have window
    > specific setting on firefox window that sets "no border" for it everytime.

    Same thing there. In order for something to support a system tray icon in
    KDE, it has to make use of the Qt libraries and be built with KDE support.

    > what do i do?

    Use the source, Luke.

    P.S.: Note that GNU/Linux is not a Windows clone but a UNIX-like system.
    Things expected to occur in Windows may not apply at all to GNU/Linux
    because it is an entirely different platform, and the GUI only runs atop
    the operating system as an additional layer, not as part of the operating
    system as in Windows.

    --
    *Aragorn*
    (registered GNU/Linux user #223157)

  3. Re: minimize firefox system tray

    Aragorn wrote:
    > On Tuesday 26 August 2008 16:49, someone identifying as *Sindhu* wrote
    > in /alt.os.linux.mandriva:/
    >
    >> I want to minimize firefox3 in system tray but i cannot use firetray
    >> cause it doesn't work on mandriva (KDE) [...

    > Firefox doesn't use the Qt libraries and will therefore not work well with
    > the system tray of the KDE /Kicker./
    >
    >> ...] or alltray, which does not work for either cause i have window
    >> specific setting on firefox window that sets "no border" for it everytime.

    > Same thing there. In order for something to support a system tray icon in
    > KDE, it has to make use of the Qt libraries and be built with KDE support.
    >
    >> what do i do?

    > Use the source, Luke.
    >
    > P.S.: Note that GNU/Linux is not a Windows clone but a UNIX-like system.
    > Things expected to occur in Windows may not apply at all to GNU/Linux
    > because it is an entirely different platform, and the GUI only runs atop
    > the operating system as an additional layer, not as part of the operating
    > system as in Windows.

    Putting Firefox in the system tray may or may not be easy, but you
    can put its icon in the toolbar panel. Try putting the cursor on
    the panel about where you want it and using a right click to go to
    Add application to panel. Work your way through the menu to Internet
    and then Firefox.

    Cheers!

    jim b.

    --
    UNIX is not user unfriendly; it merely
    expects users to be computer-friendly.

  4. Re: minimize firefox system tray

    Aragorn wrote:

    > On Tuesday 26 August 2008 16:49, someone identifying as *Sindhu* wrote
    > in /alt.os.linux.mandriva:/
    >
    >> I want to minimize firefox3 in system tray but i cannot use firetray
    >> cause it doesn't work on mandriva (KDE) [...

    > Firefox doesn't use the Qt libraries and will therefore not work well with
    > the system tray of the KDE /Kicker./
    >
    >> ...] or alltray, which does not work for either cause i have window
    >> specific setting on firefox window that sets "no border" for it
    >> everytime.

    > Same thing there. In order for something to support a system tray icon in
    > KDE, it has to make use of the Qt libraries and be built with KDE support.

    Well no. Gnome and KDE share the same API for the desktop.
    It's the one from freedesktop.org. So any system tray enable application
    will go where it should.

    Try any gnome system tray apps in KDE and see it by yourself.

  5. Re: minimize firefox system tray

    On Aug 28, 1:26*pm, Amrein-Marie Christophe wrote:
    > Aragorn wrote:
    > > On Tuesday 26 August 2008 16:49, someone identifying as *Sindhu* wrote
    > > in /alt.os.linux.mandriva:/

    > >> I want to minimize firefox3 in system tray but i cannot use firetray
    > >> cause it doesn't work on mandriva (KDE) [...

    > > Firefox doesn't use the Qt libraries and will therefore not work well with
    > > the system tray of the KDE /Kicker./

    > >> ...] or alltray, which does not work for either cause i have window
    > >> specific setting on firefox window that sets "no border" for it
    > >> everytime.

    > > Same thing there. *In order for something to support a system tray icon in
    > > KDE, it has to make use of the Qt libraries and be built with KDE support.

    > Well no. Gnome and KDE share the same API for the desktop.
    > It's the one from freedesktop.org. So any system tray enable application
    > will go where it should.
    >
    > Try any gnome system tray apps in KDE and see it by yourself.

    Thank you for all the replies.

  6. Re: minimize firefox system tray

    On Thursday 28 August 2008 10:26, someone identifying as *Amrein-Marie
    Christophe* wrote in /alt.os.linux.mandriva:/

    > Aragorn wrote:
    >
    >> On Tuesday 26 August 2008 16:49, someone identifying as *Sindhu* wrote
    >> in /alt.os.linux.mandriva:/
    >>
    >>> I want to minimize firefox3 in system tray but i cannot use firetray
    >>> cause it doesn't work on mandriva (KDE) [...

    >> Firefox doesn't use the Qt libraries and will therefore not work well
    >> with the system tray of the KDE /Kicker./
    >>
    >>> ...] or alltray, which does not work for either cause i have window
    >>> specific setting on firefox window that sets "no border" for it
    >>> everytime.

    >> Same thing there. In order for something to support a system tray icon
    >> in KDE, it has to make use of the Qt libraries and be built with KDE
    >> support.

    > Well no. Gnome and KDE share the same API for the desktop.
    > It's the one from freedesktop.org. So any system tray enable application
    > will go where it should.
    >
    > Try any gnome system tray apps in KDE and see it by yourself.

    I have - albeit that it was a while ago - but it has never worked for me,
    though. Your mileage may vary...

    --
    *Aragorn*
    (registered GNU/Linux user #223157)

  7. Re: minimize firefox system tray

    On Aug 28, 10:22*pm, Aragorn wrote:
    > On Thursday 28 August 2008 10:26, someone identifying as *Amrein-Marie
    > Christophe* wrote in /alt.os.linux.mandriva:/
    >

    > > Aragorn wrote:

    > >> On Tuesday 26 August 2008 16:49, someone identifying as *Sindhu* wrote
    > >> in /alt.os.linux.mandriva:/

    > >> Firefox doesn't use the Qt libraries and will therefore not work well
    > >> with the system tray of the KDE /Kicker./

    > >> Same thing there. *In order for something to support a system tray icon
    > >> in KDE, it has to make use of the Qt libraries and be built with KDE
    > >> support.

    > > Well no. Gnome and KDE share the same API for the desktop.
    > > It's the one from freedesktop.org. So any system tray enable application
    > > will go where it should.

    > > Try any gnome system tray apps in KDE and see it by yourself.

    > I have - albeit that it was a while ago - but it has never worked for me,
    > though. *Your mileage may vary...
    >
    > --
    > *Aragorn*
    > (registered GNU/Linux user #223157)

    can you link me to "albeit"?

  8. Re: minimize firefox system tray

    On Friday 29 August 2008 06:40, someone identifying as *Sindhu* wrote
    in /alt.os.linux.mandriva:/

    > On Aug 28, 10:22*pm, Aragorn wrote:
    >
    >> On Thursday 28 August 2008 10:26, someone identifying as *Amrein-Marie
    >> Christophe* wrote in /alt.os.linux.mandriva:/

    >> > Well no. Gnome and KDE share the same API for the desktop.
    >> > It's the one from freedesktop.org. So any system tray enable
    >> > application will go where it should.

    >> > Try any gnome system tray apps in KDE and see it by yourself.

    >> I have - albeit that it was a while ago - but it has never worked for me,
    >> though. *Your mileage may vary...

    > can you link me to "albeit"?

    I beg your pardon?

    --
    *Aragorn*
    (registered GNU/Linux user #223157)

  9. Re: minimize firefox system tray

    On Aug 29, 1:59*pm, Aragorn wrote:
    > On Friday 29 August 2008 06:40, someone identifying as *Sindhu* wrote
    > in /alt.os.linux.mandriva:/
    >

    > > On Aug 28, 10:22*pm, Aragorn wrote:

    > >> I have - albeit that it was a while ago - but it has never worked for me,
    > >> though. *Your mileage may vary...

    > > can you link me to "albeit"?

    > I beg your pardon? *
    >
    > --