Desktop disappaering in 2008.1 - Mandriva

This is a discussion on Desktop disappaering in 2008.1 - Mandriva ; I am having strange problems My 2008.1 desktop is disappearing. This last time I opened Firefox. It had closed abruptly and asked if I wanted to restore and I said yes. It came up without its window border (top line ...

  1. Desktop disappaering in 2008.1

    I am having strange problems My 2008.1 desktop is disappearing. This last
    time I opened Firefox. It had closed abruptly and asked if I wanted to
    restore and I said yes. It came up without its window border (top line with
    which to move it and scroll bar). and I could not move it or select otehr
    windows (eg the terminal also open on that desktop) and the menu bar had
    disappeared. The icons had disappeared and then the desktop background
    turned black. I alt-ctrl-bksp, and ran startx. After a long long pause
    while it said "loading desktop" the desktop came up with the valid
    background colour but no icons and an error message about something like
    "files cannot be opened" appeared. I did alt-ctrl-bksp again and copied
    over the .kde directory an old version of it and ran startx again and now
    everything works fine.

    Another possible symptom, every once in a while when I log in via ssh, I
    get Do not have permission to open .Xauthority file. If I log out and then
    in again, no such message appears. And there is nothing wrong with my
    ..Xauthority file or its permissions.

  2. Re: Desktop disappaering in 2008.1

    On Tue, 26 Aug 2008 00:34:26 GMT, Unruh wrote:
    > I am having strange problems My 2008.1 desktop is disappearing. This last
    > time I opened Firefox. It had closed abruptly and asked if I wanted to
    > restore and I said yes. It came up without its window border (top line with
    > which to move it and scroll bar).

    Have seen the problem only twice. First fix was delete .kde*. log out/in.
    Second time. removed the .config directory log out/in.

    > Another possible symptom, every once in a while when I log in via ssh, I
    > get Do not have permission to open .Xauthority file. If I log out and then
    > in again, no such message appears. And there is nothing wrong with my
    > .Xauthority file or its permissions.

    I think I have done that with a su root instead of a su - root.

    I have my .Xauthority deleted as part of my .bash_logout script.

  3. Re: Desktop disappaering in 2008.1

    Bit Twister wrote:

    > I have my .Xauthority deleted as part of my .bash_logout script.

    I've just tried that, but on restarting those files are still there. I
    created a bunch of files '.junk01', '.junk02', etc, then added the line
    'rm -f .junk*' to my .bash_logout file, then did a system restart.

    What am I doing wrong here?

  4. Re: Desktop disappaering in 2008.1

    On Wed, 27 Aug 2008 13:38:50 +0100, Keith wrote:
    > Bit Twister wrote:
    >>
    >> I have my .Xauthority deleted as part of my .bash_logout script.

    > I've just tried that, but on restarting those files are still

    there.

    Every time you start the gui desktop, it will be created.

    > created a bunch of files '.junk01', '.junk02', etc, then added the line
    > 'rm -f .junk*' to my .bash_logout file, then did a system restart.
    >
    > What am I doing wrong here?

    I will have to guess you have set your system up to boot runlevel 5.
    I have mine set for runlevel 3.

    $ grep :initdefault /etc/inittab
    id:3:initdefault:

    Runlevel 3 leaves you at the command line after login.
    You enter startx to bring up the gui desktop manager.
    When you exit the desktop manager, you enter exit.
    That will then execute $HOME/.bash_logout

    If runlevel 5 is set, click up a terminal and
    cd .kde
    ln -s ../.bash_logout shutdown
    cd
    chmod +x .bash_logout
    exit

  5. Re: Desktop disappaering in 2008.1

    Bit Twister wrote:

    > If runlevel 5 is set, click up a terminal and
    > cd .kde
    > ln -s ../.bash_logout shutdown
    > cd
    > chmod +x .bash_logout