sound with tvtime - Mandriva

This is a discussion on sound with tvtime - Mandriva ; Is tvtime (an application for analogue tv tuners) known to work with Mandriva 2008.1 or 2009.0 beta 2 ? I have a hybrid analogue/digital tuner card and normally I just don't use the analogue part, but was trying to test ...

  1. sound with tvtime

    Is tvtime (an application for analogue tv tuners) known to
    work with Mandriva 2008.1 or 2009.0 beta 2 ?

    I have a hybrid analogue/digital tuner card and normally I
    just don't use the analogue part, but was trying to test my
    hardware against the latest beta release. There is picture,
    but no sound. Then I realized that it didn't work with
    2008.1 either. (The digital side of things is fine with
    Kaffeine.)

    I'm pretty sure that it used to work a long time ago.

    --
    sig goes here...
    Peter D.

  2. Re: sound with tvtime

    On Mon, 25 Aug 2008 23:42:30 +1000, Peter D. wrote:

    > Is tvtime (an application for analogue tv tuners) known to work with
    > Mandriva 2008.1 or 2009.0 beta 2 ?
    >
    > I have a hybrid analogue/digital tuner card and normally I just don't
    > use the analogue part, but was trying to test my hardware against the
    > latest beta release. There is picture, but no sound. Then I realized
    > that it didn't work with 2008.1 either. (The digital side of things is
    > fine with Kaffeine.)
    >
    > I'm pretty sure that it used to work a long time ago.

    I had to connect the audio from the tuner card to the sound connector to
    get mine to work years ago. All my cards now are atsc only.

  3. Re: sound with tvtime

    Peter D. wrote:

    > Is tvtime (an application for analogue tv tuners) known to
    > work with Mandriva 2008.1 or 2009.0 beta 2 ?
    >
    > I have a hybrid analogue/digital tuner card and normally I
    > just don't use the analogue part, but was trying to test my
    > hardware against the latest beta release. There is picture,
    > but no sound. Then I realized that it didn't work with
    > 2008.1 either. (The digital side of things is fine with
    > Kaffeine.)

    Tvtime works fine on 2008.1; I use it pretty much constantly with my
    Hauppauge Win-TV HVR-1800 card (which is also a hybrid tuner card). I
    even occasionally use both tuners on the card at once, like so:

    http://www.lunarhub.com/dualtvtuners.jpg

    This screenshot shows tvtime displaying the (analog) NBC News broadcast
    and mplayer showing the (digital, HD) ABC News one at the same time.
    This capability came in very handy just the other day, when my beloved
    Red Sox were playing at the same time as my equally-beloved Patriots
    were (hey, what can I say - I'm a native Bostonian). ;-)

    The thing to know about tvtime is that aside from allowing you to set
    which mixer device (and channel on said device) the program's volume
    control will operate, the app doesn't really concern itself with where
    the sound comes from, and how it gets to your speakers. It was designed
    for setups where the sound is patched from the capture card to the
    sound card's line-in input, as those have been the most common types of
    TV capture cards available up until fairly recently; another design aim
    is to work well as an embedded video viewer app for other programs such
    as MythTV, where the calling app is expected to handle the audio and
    tvtime's responsibilities are therefore limited to video display only.

    Should you happen to be using the same model of card as I am, and/or
    for the benefit of anyone else trying to get the HVR-1800's analog side
    working on MDV 2008.1, a couple of tips:

    1) You need to be using a kernel from at least the 2.6.25 series, as
    the 2.6.24-x ones supplied in the standard MDV repos do not provide
    sufficiently advanced drivers to create the /dev/video device. I use
    the "kernel-linus-smp-latest" RPM (which currently gets you 2.6.25-16);
    it's available from the Contrib Updates MDV repositories. If you run a
    single-core-CPU box, get "kernel-linus-latest" instead.

    2) Support for the HVR-1800's onboard MPEG2 encoder, and therefore for
    the audio from either the card's analog tuner or from its onboard audio
    line inputs, isn't available until the 2.6.26 series of kernels. I use
    the composite video input on the card, cabled from the composite output
    on my cable box, and have the corresponding audio outs on the cable box
    wired to the line-in input on my sound card. I've tried the 2.6.26-2
    kernel available from Contrib Backports, and can verify that it creates
    both a /dev/video0 and a /dev/video1 node, so the latter one probably
    includes audio (but won't work with tvtime, which expects raw video,
    not MPEG2); however, despite the fact that I have the right -devel RPM
    installed for that kernel, dkms refuses to build working modules for
    the three modules that it has no problems building for every other
    kernel I've used on here, and since one of them is my NVidia driver, I
    haven't been able to test the .26 kernel with X11. I figure I'll just
    wait for 2009.0 to be released before monkeying with this again. :-/

    HTH!

    --
    Bill Mullen
    RLU #270075

  4. Re: sound with tvtime

    on Tuesday 26 August 2008 11:58
    Bill Mullen wrote:

    > On Mon, 25 Aug 2008 23:42:30 +1000,
    > Peter D. wrote:
    >
    >> Is tvtime (an application for analogue tv tuners) known to
    >> work with Mandriva 2008.1 or 2009.0 beta 2 ?
    >>
    >> I have a hybrid analogue/digital tuner card and normally I
    >> just don't use the analogue part, but was trying to test my
    >> hardware against the latest beta release. There is picture,
    >> but no sound. Then I realized that it didn't work with
    >> 2008.1 either. (The digital side of things is fine with
    >> Kaffeine.)

    > Tvtime works fine on 2008.1; I use it pretty much constantly with my
    > Hauppauge Win-TV HVR-1800 card (which is also a hybrid tuner card). I
    > even occasionally use both tuners on the card at once, like so:

    Your card has two tuners. Most marketing departments would call
    that a dual tuner card. Mine has only a single tuner, which I
    did not realize until after I had bought it.

    > http://www.lunarhub.com/dualtvtuners.jpg
    >
    > This screenshot shows tvtime displaying the (analog) NBC News broadcast
    > and mplayer showing the (digital, HD) ABC News one at the same time.
    > This capability came in very handy just the other day, when my beloved
    > Red Sox were playing at the same time as my equally-beloved Patriots
    > were (hey, what can I say - I'm a native Bostonian). ;-)
    >
    > The thing to know about tvtime is that aside from allowing you to set
    > which mixer device (and channel on said device) the program's volume
    > control will operate, the app doesn't really conce/home/psdrn itself with

    where
    > the sound comes from, and how it gets to your speakers. It was designed
    > for setups where the sound is patched from the capture card to the
    > sound card's line-in input, as those have been the most common types of
    > TV capture cards available up until fairly recently; another design aim
    > is to work well as an embedded video viewer app for other programs such
    > as MythTV, where the calling app is expected to handle the audio and
    > tvtime's responsibilities are therefore limited to video display only.

    Does all of this mean that tvtime can't get the audio over the PCI
    bus without a helper application? I have plugged in an extra
    audio cable from the tuner card to the motherboard and now have
    sound with tvtime. (Kaffeine does not need this extra connection.)

    > Should you happen to be using the same model of card as I am, and/or
    > for the benefit of anyone else trying to get the HVR-1800's analog side
    > working on MDV 2008.1, a couple of tips:
    >
    > 1) You need to be using a kernel from at least the 2.6.25 series, as
    > the 2.6.24-x ones supplied in the standard MDV repos do not provide
    > sufficiently advanced drivers to create the /dev/video device. I use
    > the "kernel-linus-smp-latest" RPM (which currently gets you 2.6.25-16);
    > it's available from the Contrib Updates MDV repositories. If you run a
    > single-core-CPU box, get "kernel-linus-latest" instead.

    Cooker has 2.6.26-3 series kernels.

    > 2) Support for the HVR-1800's onboard MPEG2 encoder, and therefore for
    > the audio from either the card's analog tuner or from its onboard audio
    > line inputs, isn't available until the 2.6.26 series of kernels. I use
    > the composite video input on the card, cabled from the composite output
    > on my cable box, and have the corresponding audio outs on the cable box
    > wired to the line-in input on my sound card. I've tried the 2.6.26-2
    > kernel available from Contrib Backports, and can verify that it creates
    > both a /dev/video0 and a /dev/video1 node, so the latter one probably
    > includes audio (but won't work with tvtime, which expects raw video,
    > not MPEG2); however, despite the fact that I have the right -devel RPM
    > installed for that kernel, dkms refuses to build working modules for
    > the three modules that it has no problems building for every other
    > kernel I've used on here, and since one of them is my NVidia driver, I
    > haven't been able to test the .26 kernel with X11. I figure I'll just
    > wait for 2009.0 to be released before monkeying with this again. :-/
    >
    > HTH!

    Thanks

    --
    sig goes here...
    Peter D.

  5. Re: sound with tvtime

    On Wed, 27 Aug 2008 16:35:47 +1000,
    Peter D. wrote:

    > Does all of this mean that tvtime can't get the audio over the PCI
    > bus without a helper application? I have plugged in an extra
    > audio cable from the tuner card to the motherboard and now have
    > sound with tvtime. (Kaffeine does not need this extra connection.)

    That's exactly what it means. It can adjust the volume on a mixer
    channel that you specify, but something else (a helper app, a separate
    kernel module, or both) must actually make the audio signal available
    on that mixer channel. Your patch cord accomplishes this manually, and
    no doubt one of the mixer channels of your onboard sound chipset now
    carries TV sound; tvtime can be configured to adjust the volume on that
    with "+" and "-", once you tell it which mixer and channel it's on.

    Kaffeine doesn't need that because it uses the digital side of the
    tuner, while tvtime uses the analog side; the digital side presents to
    the system as a dvb device, while the analog side presents as a v4l
    device. Different interfaces entirely, with differing capabilities.

    --
    Bill Mullen
    RLU #270075

  6. Re: sound with tvtime

    Peter D. wrote:

    > on Tuesday 26 August 2008 02:29
    > in the Usenet newsgroup alt.os.linux.mandriva
    > Wes Newell wrote:
    >
    >> On Mon, 25 Aug 2008 23:42:30 +1000, Peter D. wrote:
    >>
    >>> Is tvtime (an application for analogue tv tuners) known to work with
    >>> Mandriva 2008.1 or 2009.0 beta 2 ?
    >>>
    >>> I have a hybrid analogue/digital tuner card and normally I just don't
    >>> use the analogue part, but was trying to test my hardware against the
    >>> latest beta release. There is picture, but no sound. Then I realized
    >>> that it didn't work with 2008.1 either. (The digital side of things is
    >>> fine with Kaffeine.)
    >>>
    >>> I'm pretty sure that it used to work a long time ago.

    >> I had to connect the audio from the tuner card to the sound connector to
    >> get mine to work years ago. All my cards now are atsc only.

    > Bingo.
    >
    > There is an audio connector on the card. The digital side of things
    > (audio plus video) work over the PCI bus, but the analog side needs a
    > separate
    > audio cable. I don't know if that is a hardware "feature", a driver bug,
    > or a serious mis-configuration.
    >
    > I am amazed at how much worse PAL is than dvb-t.
    >
    > Thank you.

    It works the same way in Windows so no, this is not a bug.
    You need to connect the sound card to the audio output of the tuner card
    with wire.

+ Reply to Thread